Realistg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Realistg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Realistg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Realistg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Realistg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Realistg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Realistg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Realistg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Realistg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Realistg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Realistg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Will squats/deadlifts make me stronger

Well of course they will! But the full question is will deadlifts/squats make me stronger than my friend who neglects those and legs all together? He is currently pretty much stronger than me in everything when it comes to upper body. He benches a little more than 2x what I can. His tri's are a little stronger but not by a lot. His bi's are probably about 2x stronger than mine also. Thing is we have about the same build.. I'm 5'10 134 at the moment and he is about 5'7 138. He looks bigger but not by a huge amount.

ANYWAY, we've both been doing the same routines for a little while now and he really has no interest in training legs or lower body but I am because I know how important it can be. I also don't want to have chicken legs. So my question is if I begin to put legs and squats/deadlifts into my regular routine, will I eventually pass him in strength? If what I researched is right, I will be releasing more testosterone and be able to push harder than him in the long run. What do you guys think?

Quest to 315+BP for Reps JustinRideout's Avatar
    JustinRideout will become famous soon enough. (+50) JustinRideout will become famous soon enough. (+50) JustinRideout will become famous soon enough. (+50) JustinRideout will become famous soon enough. (+50) JustinRideout will become famous soon enough. (+50) JustinRideout will become famous soon enough. (+50) JustinRideout will become famous soon enough. (+50) JustinRideout will become famous soon enough. (+50) JustinRideout will become famous soon enough. (+50) JustinRideout will become famous soon enough. (+50) JustinRideout will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Realistg View Post
    Well of course they will! But the full question is will deadlifts/squats make me stronger than my friend who neglects those and legs all together? He is currently pretty much stronger than me in everything when it comes to upper body. He benches a little more than 2x what I can. His tri's are a little stronger but not by a lot. His bi's are probably about 2x stronger than mine also. Thing is we have about the same build.. I'm 5'10 134 at the moment and he is about 5'7 138. He looks bigger but not by a huge amount.

ANYWAY, we've both been doing the same routines for a little while now and he really has no interest in training legs or lower body but I am because I know how important it can be. I also don't want to have chicken legs. So my question is if I begin to put legs and squats/deadlifts into my regular routine, will I eventually pass him in strength? If what I researched is right, I will be releasing more testosterone and be able to push harder than him in the long run. What do you guys think?

Well if you do squats youll have stronger legs than him because he doesn't but I don't see how squats and deads will increase your bench . (But deads use legs so squats and dead go hand in hand IMO)
    Warning : Bodybuilding results may cause slight narcissism and turn you into a cheeky kunt, please train responsibily .

"-You can have results or you can have excuses . You can't have both !"

"In the gym, you are nothing but the embodiment of your own will."- BrettT

Current Lifts 18/10/2016

OHP: 225 x 1
    Bench : 340 x 1
    Squat : 500 x 2
    Deadlift : 600 x 1
    Bench/Squat/Deadlift total , natty , raw : 1440

Next milestones : 365 bench , and current lifts or higher under 12% bodyfat

Registered User adam_williams_1's Avatar
    adam_williams_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) adam_williams_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) adam_williams_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) adam_williams_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) adam_williams_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) adam_williams_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) adam_williams_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) adam_williams_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) adam_williams_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) adam_williams_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) adam_williams_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    DEFINITELY!

Your legs are a HUGE muscle group with a large growth potential. Training your legs will spark a greater growth hormone release by your body - this should assist in growth elsewhere.

Also, your legs are the most functional of all muscles to make stronger. After all, in real life, when does bicep curling 50kg help? On the other hand, the ability to deadlift (pick things off of the floor) comes in handy every day.

Ruz4life is just really nice. (+1000) Ruz4life is just really nice. (+1000) Ruz4life is just really nice. (+1000) Ruz4life is just really nice. (+1000) Ruz4life is just really nice. (+1000) Ruz4life is just really nice. (+1000) Ruz4life is just really nice. (+1000) Ruz4life is just really nice. (+1000) Ruz4life is just really nice. (+1000) Ruz4life is just really nice. (+1000) Ruz4life is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by adam_williams_1 View Post
    DEFINITELY!

Your legs are a HUGE muscle group with a large growth potential. Training your legs will spark a greater growth hormone release by your body - this should assist in growth elsewhere.

Also, your legs are the most functional of all muscles to make stronger. After all, in real life, when does bicep curling 50kg help? On the other hand, the ability to deadlift (pick things off of the floor) comes in handy every day.
    Growth hormone release from legs is negligible. I think this is stated and proven on here daily.

Besides that, no doing squats will not make you stronger on bench press then your friend.

You guys are collectively string beans so I think the best thing for you both would be to eat.

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If what I researched is right, I will be releasing more testosterone and be able to push harder than him in the long run. What do you guys think?
    The temporary, acute hormonal response that may or may not occur during training (depends on various parameters) will have a negligible impact upon other body parts.

What is of more importance is that it can likely be deduced that since you are committed and willing to train legs, that you are more serious about training overall than your friend, and thus may in time surpass him.
    Who was this love of yours?

gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ThickAsABrick View Post
    The temporary, acute hormonal response that may or may not occur during training (depends on various parameters) will have a negligible impact upon other body parts.

What is of more importance is that it can likely be deduced that since you are committed and willing to train legs, that you are more serious about training overall than your friend, and thus may in time surpass him.
    unless his friend has great genetics...

why are you so worried about being stronger than your friend? Also, you could stand to put on a good chunk of muscle. Start a clean mass diet. if he's 5'7" 138, then you would look comparable at 5'10" and about 145-150.

If strength is your goal, look into a workout program focused on strength instead of mass.
    oh and gecko that link did not contain answers only the search page - swiftness_02

The foods that trigger ketosis are high in carbs, not sugars - michaeldude

Realistg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Realistg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Realistg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Realistg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Realistg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Realistg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Realistg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Realistg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Realistg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Realistg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Realistg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by gecko2424 View Post
    unless his friend has great genetics...

why are you so worried about being stronger than your friend? Also, you could stand to put on a good chunk of muscle. Start a clean mass diet. if he's 5'7" 138, then you would look comparable at 5'10" and about 145-150.

If strength is your goal, look into a workout program focused on strength instead of mass.
    Lol I'm not "so worried about being stronger than my friend". All I was wondering is if my strength would surpass his if I started training legs and he continued to neglect them. Mainly out of curiosity because I am definitely going to begin leg training. Strength is my goal but also would like to be bigger. I know everything I need to do though. Eating and lifting heavy ;-)

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by JustinRideout View Post
    Well if you do squats youll have stronger legs than him because he doesn't but I don't see how squats and deads will increase your bench . (But deads use legs so squats and dead go hand in hand IMO)
    This.
    DEFINITELY!

Not this.
    Originally Posted by Ruz4life View Post
    Growth hormone release from legs is negligible. I think this is stated and proven on here daily.

Besides that, no doing squats will not make you stronger on bench press then your friend.

You guys are collectively string beans so I think the best thing for you both would be to eat.
    This.

This.

Your friend looks bigger because he weighs more than you and is 3" inches shorter. Jesus christ, I thought I was skinny. Eat some food.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

Registered User adam_williams_1's Avatar
    adam_williams_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) adam_williams_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) adam_williams_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) adam_williams_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) adam_williams_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) adam_williams_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) adam_williams_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) adam_williams_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) adam_williams_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) adam_williams_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) adam_williams_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    'The large burst of anabolic hormones resulting from squats and deadlifts, allows most of your muscles to benefit from this release simultaneously. Squats and deadlifts work many muscles simultaneously in the body and will allow most of your body to get some stimulation from the release of the hormones during the workout. The testosterone and GH released, is very crucial for being a catalyst for your muscle growth. It won’t be released as much in the smaller compound excercises, such as bench press. Therefore doing smaller compound excercises, would not be able to makeup for the benefit of having leg workouts in your routine.'

*ww.bodybuildingweb.net/blog/squats-deadlifts-and-release-of-testosterone-and-growth-hormone/

The above speaks for itself...

'Remember, since your legs are such a large muscle group, training them has a MUCH larger effect on anabolic (muscle-building) hormones.

In fact, the Barbell Squat, while being one of the “hardest” and most excruciating exercises, is actually the best overall exercise for skyrocketing testosterone levels in the body.'

Read more: *ww.180mma.com/strength-and-conditioning/muscle-building/242-bodybuilding-training-tip-for-more-growth-hormone-release#ixzz18N8ZLQQF
    Free martial arts tips and workouts 180° MMA Training and Combat Fitness

Extrado is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extrado is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extrado is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extrado is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extrado is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extrado is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extrado is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extrado is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extrado is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extrado is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extrado is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Compound exercises like squats and deadlifts have a greater potential to increase your strength and muscle size than other exercises, simply becaus they are much more intense and work your muscles harder.

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Your body responds to working out muscle groups by producing more testosterone. By lifting legs, the largest of muscle groups, you'll produce even more testosterone (according to bb.com anyway). My personal experience, my upper body gains increased quite a bit when I added squats and deads. Do what's right for you. You'll pass your friend soon enough.

kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by drudixon View Post
    Your body responds to working out muscle groups by producing more testosterone. By lifting legs, the largest of muscle groups, you'll produce even more testosterone (according to bb.com anyway). My personal experience, my upper body gains increased quite a bit when I added squats and deads. Do what's right for you. You'll pass your friend soon enough.
    yes, of course, the squats and deadlift can make you stronger, if you continue doing that, you will win your friend.

Fears Chuck Norris JimmyChitwood's Avatar
    JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I wouldn't say the debate is put to bed on exercise-induced GH release. Here is an excerpt from one of many articles on this very website.

"Exercise is probably the largest contributor to growth hormone release. Exercise appears as though it effects the growth hormone release through numerous different mechanisms such as:

Neural Input
    Direct stimulation by catecholamines
    Lactic & nitric oxide
    Changes in acid-base balance (Godfrey, R, et al, 2003)
    Different types of exercises impact the HGH in different ways however.

Resistance Training:
    Resistance training offers one of the most influential environments for exercise induced growth hormone release (EIGR). The major factors that determine how much an increase is produced are load and frequency.
    When we lift heavier loads at a greater frequency (less rest time) we cause our bodies to release greater amounts of growth hormone.

It should be noted however that in regards to protein synthesis, insulin-like growth factor-1 plays a larger role than growth hormone does.

Resistance training programs that utilize many large muscle groups at once tend to elicit the greatest growth hormone release as more total muscle fibers are called into play. Also, growth hormone release tends to depend upon how much of a demand on anaerobic glycolysis there is during an exercise training bout."

Whether squats and deads will release GH aiding in overall mass and strength increases, or whether or not it is negligible in terms of its effect on the upper body... I believe you are on the right track in terms of your desire to keep the body in balance strength and mass-wise.

I agree with the other guys - your apparent desire and discipline is what is going to make you out-perform your friend in the long run.

On a personal note - it's good to have a little healthy rivalry with your training partner, but don't worry about it too much. My training partner in college could always out-bench me too, but being shorter has certain advantages biomechanically. Leverage is improved. I'd rather be able to out-squat somebody than out-curl them anyway. That's where the BIG weight is. Your friend may out-curl you by 10 pounds, but you'll out-deadlift him by 200.
    ~Forgiven~

My Training Log and Record of Adventures:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=441433851

romajc is just really nice. (+1000) romajc is just really nice. (+1000) romajc is just really nice. (+1000) romajc is just really nice. (+1000) romajc is just really nice. (+1000) romajc is just really nice. (+1000) romajc is just really nice. (+1000) romajc is just really nice. (+1000) romajc is just really nice. (+1000) romajc is just really nice. (+1000) romajc is just really nice. (+1000)
    Dude, you are 5'10 135lbs.

Eating more food will make you stronger than your friend.

devearoux will become famous soon enough. (+50) devearoux will become famous soon enough. (+50) devearoux will become famous soon enough. (+50) devearoux will become famous soon enough. (+50) devearoux will become famous soon enough. (+50) devearoux will become famous soon enough. (+50) devearoux will become famous soon enough. (+50) devearoux will become famous soon enough. (+50) devearoux will become famous soon enough. (+50) devearoux will become famous soon enough. (+50) devearoux will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Better do squats and deadlifts almost 2 days a week. Best exercises imo.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    JFC!!

Yes, squats and deadlifts have a relatively decent release. You know what else does? Every exercise does. Yes, squats and deads have the highest amount, yet it is negligible compared to bench press, military press, rows, pull ups, etc. Compounds aren’t the only ones, isolations do too. Hell, getting aroused releases testosterone. Healthy fats do too. As does sleeping, and so does fasting.

When It comes to working out, studies have shown that rest periods had a larger effect on any release than the exercise selection itself. Keep rest periods shorter had larger releases than longer rest periods. What sort of rest periods do most people use with squats and deads? Let me guess.....2+ minutes? yeah...so you are negating the benefit there.

One more thing, studies shown that after about 10 weeks of steady training, any benefit you received, from trying to tailor your rest periods for maximum release, was undone as your body adapted.

Moral of the story? Train body parts so that those particular body parts grow. Do not train your calf to have your traps grow. Use the rest period that best fits your routine. Don't give two ****s to the test or GH release. Talking about that, helps CSCS's sell their training books to newbies, who will then go on about how compound only workouts are the best for everything. I know, I was one of those lemmings for awhile.

Squats & Deadlifts and release of testosterone
    Originally Posted by Excerpt
    Resistance training in general, increases testosterone and growth hormone, during and immediately after post excercise. It has been shown in many studies, including a published study Int J Sports Med. 1991 Apr;12(2):228-35 done on both men and women during resistance excercise. Squats and deadlifts increase GH and Testosterone, more than other compound excercises during excercise.

There is however, no significant studies that show that resistance excercise, directly leads to higher hormone levels long term. In fact, for a day or 2 post-excercise, many studies show LH and testosterone decline, while cortisol increases. In other words, building yourself up to a 200 lb ripped bodybuilder doesn’t directly increase your testosterone levels, from when you were smaller. But you might though have higher testosterone levels, due to better eating, supplementation, and working out, as a result of the bodybuilding lifestyle. The increased cortisol levels and lower testosterone, is also why overtraining is such an easy state to enter. We have to allow our body to recuperate itself, before doing more weight lifting.

Then iSkinny had his curiosity piqued after I referenced rest periods effecting hormones and did more digging:[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by iSkinny View Post
    I saw what you posted Chaz, and thought It would be intresting to have a little look on pubmed to see what I could find:

J Strength Cond Res. 2009 Jan;23(1):62-71

The effect of resistive exercise rest interval on hormonal response, strength, and hypertrophy with training.

Buresh R, Berg K, French J.

The purpose of this study was to compare the effects of different between-set rest periods (1 and 2.5 minutes) on changes in hormone response, strength, arm cross-sectional area (CSA), thigh muscular cross-sectional area (MCSA), and body composition during a 10-week training period. Twelve untrained males (24.8 +/- 5.9 years) engaged in resistance training using either 1 minute (short rest [SR], n = 6) or 2.5 minutes (long rest [LR], n = 6) of rest between sets, with a load that elicited failure on the third set of each exercise. Body composition, thigh MCSA, arm CSA, and five-repetition maximum (RM) squat and bench press were assessed before and after training. Blood samples were collected after exercise in weeks 1, 5, and 10. In week 1, postexercise plasma testosterone levels were greater in SR (0.41 +/- 0.17 mmolxL) than in LR (0.24 +/- 0.06 mmol x L, p < 0.05), and postexercise cortisol levels were greater in SR (963 +/- 313 mmol x L) than in LR (629 +/- 127 mmol x L, p < 0.05). Week 1 postexercise GH levels were not different (p = 0.28). The differences between hormone levels in weeks 5 and 10 were not significant. Arm CSA increased more with LR (12.3 +/- 7.2%) than with SR (5.1 +/- 2.9%, p < 0.05). There were no differences in strength increases. These results show that in healthy, recently untrained males, strength training with 1 minute of rest between sets elicits a greater hormonal response than 2.5-minute rest intervals in the first week of training, but these differences diminish by week 5 and disappear by week 10 of training. Furthermore, the hormonal response is highly variable and may not necessarily be predictive of strength and lean tissue gains in a 10-week training program.

Strength Cond Res. 2005 Aug;19(3):572-82.

Short vs. long rest period between the sets in hypertrophic resistance training: influence on muscle strength, size, and hormonal adaptations in trained men.

Ahtiainen JP, Pakarinen A, Alen M, Kraemer WJ, H?kkinen K.

Acute and long-term hormonal and neuromuscular adaptations to hypertrophic strength training were studied in 13 recreationally strength-trained men. The experimental design comprised a 6-month hypertrophic strength-training period including 2 separate 3-month training periods with the crossover design, a training protocol of short rest (SR, 2 minutes) as compared with long rest (LR, 5 minutes) between the sets. Basal hormonal concentrations of serum total testosterone (T), free testosterone (FT), and cortisol (C), maximal isometric strength of the leg extensors, right leg 1 repetition maximum (1RM), dietary analysis, and muscle cross-sectional area (CSA) of the quadriceps femoris by magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) were measured at months 0, 3, and 6. The 2 hypertrophic training protocols used in training for the leg extensors (leg presses and squats with 10RM sets) were also examined in the laboratory conditions at months 0, 3, and 6. The exercise protocols were similar with regard to the total volume of work (loads x sets x reps), but differed with regard to the intensity and the length of rest between the sets (higher intensity and longer rest of 5 minutes vs. somewhat lower intensity but shorter rest of 2 minutes). Before and immediately after the protocols, maximal isometric force and electromyographic (EMG) activity of the leg extensors were measured and blood samples were drawn for determination of serum T, FT, C, and growth hormone (GH) concentrations and blood lactate. Both protocols before the experimental training period (month 0) led to large acute increases (p < 0.05-0.001) in serum T, FT, C , and GH concentrations, as well as to large acute decreases (p < 0.05-0.001) in maximal isometric force and EMG activity. However, no significant differences were observed between the protocols. Significant increases of 7% in maximal isometric force, 16% in the right leg 1RM, and 4% in the muscle CSA of the quadriceps femoris were observed during the 6-month strength-training period. However, both 3-month training periods performed with either the longer or the shorter rest periods between the sets resulted in similar gains in muscle mass and strength. No statistically significant changes were observed in basal hormone concentrations or in the profiles of acute hormonal responses during the entire 6-month experimental training period. The present study indicated that, within typical hypertrophic strength-training protocols used in the present study, the length of the recovery times between the sets (2 vs. 5 minutes) did not have an influence on the magnitude of acute hormonal and neuromuscular responses or long-term training adaptations in muscle strength and mass in previously strength-trained men.

J Sci Med Sport. 2007 Dec 17.

Effects of rest duration between sets of resistance training on acute hormonal responses in trained women.

Bottaro M, Martins B, Gentil P, Wagner D.

This study investigated the acute hormonal response to three different rest periods between sets of a traditional lower body resistance training session in young women. Twelve healthy trained females (26.83+/-3.93 years) participated in the study. On three separate sessions of a lower body resistance exercise protocol, subjects were assigned in a random order a rest interval of 30s (P30), 60s (P60) or 120s (P120) between sets. The resistance exercise session consisted of four lower body exercises with three sets performed until contractile failure using 10-repetition maximum (RM) load. Blood samples were drawn for determination of serum growth hormone (GH) and cortisol concentrations before exercise (T0), immediately after each training session (T1), and after 5min (T5), 15min (T15), and 30min (T30) of recovery. Statistical evaluation of the area under the time-concentration relationship for GH (GHauc) and for cortisol (Cauc) were analyzed using a one-way ANOVA There were no differences among protocols (P30, P60 and P120) in the serum GH and cortisol concentrations at baseline (T0). However, as compared to T0, all protocols led to acute increases (p<0.05) in serum GH concentrations after each training session. The GHauc was greater for P30 than for both P60 and P120, however, there were no differences between P60 and P120. The Cauc were not different among protocols. Thus, the magnitude of acute GH responses in previously strength-trained women appears greater with a 30-s rest interval between sets compared to longer rest periods of 60- or 120-s.

I found something interesting while I was looking around on pubmed, which I have noticed alot of experienced lifters on these forums do:

J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2003 Jun;43(2):243-9.

A single set of low intensity resistance exercise immediately following high intensity resistance exercise stimulates growth hormone secretion in men.

Goto K, Sato K, Takamatsu K.

AIM: The purpose of the present study was to examine the effects of an additional set immediately following high intensity resistance exercise on growth hormone (GH) response. METHODS: Subjects (n=8) performed 4 resistance exercise protocols (bilateral knee extension exercise) on separate days. The protocols were categorized into 2 types of protocol, namely "Strength-up type (S-type)" and "Combination type (Combi-type)". The S-type was resistance exercise which consisted of 5 sets at 90% of 1 repetition maximum (RM) with 3-min rest periods between sets, whereas the Combi-type is a training protocol which adds an additional set (either 50% of 1 RM [C50-type], 70% of 1 RM [C70-type] or 90% of 1 RM [C90-type]) to the S-type. Serum GH concentration and blood lactate concentration were determined pre-exercise and at 0-60 min postexercise. Relative changes in thigh girth and maximal unilateral isometric strength were determined pre-exercise and immediately postexercise. RESULTS: The increasing values of GH concentration (DGH) in the S-type was the lowest of all protocols. On the other hand, DGH in the C50-type showed a significantly (p<0.05) higher increase than in the S-type and C90-type, and a relatively higher increase than in the C70-type. CONCLUSION: These results suggests that a high intensity, low volume training protocol to induce neural adaptation resulted in little GH response, but GH secretion was increased by performing a single set of low intensity resistance exercise at the end of a series of high intensity resistance sets.
    Go do some reading beyond the asinine articles located the supersite of this page. The articles in the forum are generally far more useful and less idiotic.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    www.bodybuildingweb.net/blog/squats-deadlifts-and-release-of-testosterone-and-growth-hormone/

The above speaks for itself...
    Yes. Yes it does.

From the link you provided:
    There is however, no significant studies that show that resistance excercise, directly leads to higher hormone levels long term. In fact, for a day or 2 post-excercise, many studies show LH and testosterone decline, while cortisol increases.

Read more: http://www.180mma.com/strength-and-c...#ixzz18N8ZLQQF
    Free martial arts tips and workouts 180° MMA Training and Combat Fitness
    This is some guy's opinion. There are no studies listed that support any of the claims in that article. Hardly a reliable source of information.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Yes. Yes it does.

Haha, I just realized, he linked the exact same article I did, which clearly downplays the significance of the hormonal release.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post
    Haha, I just realized, he linked the exact same article I did, which clearly downplays the significance of the hormonal release.
    I've seen that same article linked in here in defense of the "Squats will make your arms grow (or whatever unrelated bodypart)" a hundred times, even though it states the opposite.

Back in before other bro's post links to posts by other bro's on other bodybuilding sites that tout 'teh hyooge test release.'

Here's the peer-reviewed, clinically-studied results: Squat and Deadlift for their own benefits. If you want big arms, work your arms in balance with the rest of your body by doing some direct arm work. If you want a big chest, or a big Bench Press number, train that bodypart and/or that lift directly.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Lol you guys can stop telling me to "eat". I started off at 125 and I was 125 for my whole late teenage/early adult life so 135 is making progress for me. Don't worry about that my weight is going up =]

Btw thanks for the input guys. My purpose for wanting to begin legs is to make my legs bigger and stronger it was never to increase my bench or whatever I was just wondering if these "rumors" were true.

guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by romajc View Post
    Dude, you are 5'10 135lbs.

Eating more food will make you stronger than your friend.
    Exactly...

OP when it comes to this type of thing, expect 5-10lbs of Bw with every inch of height. So if your friend is 5'7 138lbs, you should probably be at least 165-170lbs minimum if you expect the same level of muscularity/strength, assuming you two have been training a similar mount of time and have similar body compositions...

brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000)

Exclamation

How do you explain the permanent erection I've had since beginning to do squats and deadlifts in my regimen?

JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

There is however, no significant studies that show that resistance excercise, directly leads to higher hormone levels long term. In fact, for a day or 2 post-excercise, many studies show LH and testosterone decline, while cortisol increases.
    Dang. So the lesson here is...we're all better off not working out. I can't believe the TIME I've been wasting.
    ~Forgiven~

Originally Posted by JimmyChitwood View Post
    Dang. So the lesson here is...we're all better off not working out. I can't believe the TIME I've been wasting.
    Or that chasing some magical hormonal response is idiotic and you should exercise the muscles you want to see results in.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -

brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs down

you should exercise the muscles you want to see results in.
    Makes no sense. Negged.

Or that chasing some magical hormonal response is idiotic and you should exercise the muscles you want to see results in.
    ^^^^I'll go with this.

I'll work my legs to make my legs bigger, and work my arms to make my arms bigger. Same with every other bodypart; work them in balance with everything else.

I don't make the rules of physiology; I just have to center my training around them if I expect to make progress.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

That's just crazy talk.

^^^^I'll go with this.

I'll work my legs to make my legs bigger, and work my arms to make my arms bigger. Same with every other bodypart; work them in balance with everything else.

I don't make the rules of physiology; I just have to center my training around them if I expect to make progress.
    What's wrong with you people? You're taking all the mystical magic out of this whole thing and trying to reduce things to common sense and hard science. Next you're going to tell me the tooth fairy doesn't exist?
    ~Forgiven~

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    DEFINITELY!

Not to pick on you, but this type of post represents a lot of what is going wrong on this site:

1. The uninformed giving "advice" to the general public.

2. Quotation of BS from "studies" that nobody bothered to read in depth before interpreting the results, and that often runs contrary to practical experience and real world results.

3. The buzzword of "functional" in relation to bodybuilding, which is not a functional sport.

To the OP: If you want to be stronger in a particular lift then train that lift, and similar lifts that work the muscle(s) you're directly trying to target. If you want to be the master barbell curling champion, then a schedule of heavy curls is going to be your friend.

However, if you want to be stronger overall, then squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead pressing, and other compound work is your ally. Lift heavy, eat a lot, and you'll become bigger and stronger. This will likely carry over to other lifts such as curls indirectly, and allow you to train those more intensely as well, leading to further strength gains, ultimately surpassing your upper body-only partner in most things.

And forget about GH release, fancy supps, etc. The only true path to gains is lifting heavy, lifting consistently, and eating.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

mcallenbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcallenbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcallenbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcallenbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcallenbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcallenbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcallenbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcallenbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcallenbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcallenbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcallenbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    As far as looking massive... Compare guys who do deads and squats with guys who don't... I always see dudes with big arms chest and traps but turn to a stick figure from the bottom of the chest to the waist(Im not even bothering talking about leg development)... Squats and deads work all those muscles that require you to stabilize your upper body.. The result is this thick plate that sits under your ribs and makes your upper body look alot more powerful, esp from the side.

Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I am just having a hard time wrapping my mind around 5'10" and 134lbs. OP please eat more and try to get bigger. Definitely keep the weight training up, and Squats and Deadlifts are the two best exercises you can do. Whatever you do for your upper body, just be balanced about it. Don't do just Bench Press and Bicep Curls. But read the stickies in the Exercise and Workout Program forums, and I'd even recommend you read through them in the Nutrition forums. Good luck!
    --- Nick ---