Father of Cajun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Father of Cajun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Father of Cajun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Father of Cajun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Father of Cajun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Father of Cajun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Father of Cajun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Father of Cajun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Father of Cajun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Father of Cajun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Father of Cajun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Reps for physics help

Collision problem, and I can't figure out how they got this answer.

You have been asked to design a 'ballistic spring system' to measure the speed of bullets. A bullet of mass m1 is fired into a bullet of mass M2. The block, with the embedded bullet, then slides across a frictionless table and collides with a horizontal spring whose spring constant is k. The opposite end of the spring is anchored to a wall. The spring's maximum compression d is measured.

Find an expression for the bullet's speed VB in terms of m1, M2, k, and d.

The back of the book says

VB= sqrt((m1+m2)*kd^2)/m^2)
    ***SCC***

The gods will do nothing for us that we cannot do for ourselves.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

TeamMASS is not very helpful. (-500) TeamMASS is not very helpful. (-500) TeamMASS is not very helpful. (-500) TeamMASS is not very helpful. (-500) TeamMASS is not very helpful. (-500) TeamMASS is not very helpful. (-500) TeamMASS is not very helpful. (-500) TeamMASS is not very helpful. (-500) TeamMASS is not very helpful. (-500) TeamMASS is not very helpful. (-500) TeamMASS is not very helpful. (-500)
    Lol I still can't pass optics

clemburger is a name known to all. (+5000) clemburger is a name known to all. (+5000) clemburger is a name known to all. (+5000) clemburger is a name known to all. (+5000) clemburger is a name known to all. (+5000) clemburger is a name known to all. (+5000) clemburger is a name known to all. (+5000) clemburger is a name known to all. (+5000) clemburger is a name known to all. (+5000) clemburger is a name known to all. (+5000) clemburger is a name known to all. (+5000)

Physics makes me hate school.
    Arnolds Six Rules of Success
    1. Trust yourself.
    2. Break the rules.
    3. Don't be afraid to fail.
    4. Don't listen to the naysayers.
    5. Work your butt off.
    6. It's about giving back.

"When you want to succeed as bad as you wanna breathe, then you'll be successful."

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."

"I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to life than being really, really, ridiculously good looking. And I plan on finding out what that is."

.Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    sounds to me like you just have to plug in the numbers

Father of Cajun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Father of Cajun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Father of Cajun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Father of Cajun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Father of Cajun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Father of Cajun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Father of Cajun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Father of Cajun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Father of Cajun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Father of Cajun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Father of Cajun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by .Excalibur View Post
    sounds to me like you just have to plug in the numbers
    No, it wants the general formula using variables. I figured it out though. Next question, which I just can't remember how to do, is how to find energy lost in a collision.

edit: The answer I gave at the bottom of the post is what the book said the answer was. I think I figured out why.
    ***SCC***

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

iJarhead is just really nice. (+1000) iJarhead is just really nice. (+1000) iJarhead is just really nice. (+1000) iJarhead is just really nice. (+1000) iJarhead is just really nice. (+1000) iJarhead is just really nice. (+1000) iJarhead is just really nice. (+1000) iJarhead is just really nice. (+1000) iJarhead is just really nice. (+1000) iJarhead is just really nice. (+1000) iJarhead is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Father of Cajun View Post
    No, it wants the general formula using variables. I figured it out though. Next question, which I just can't remember how to do, is how to find energy lost in a collision.

edit: The answer I gave at the bottom of the post is what the book said the answer was. I think I figured out why.
    Energy lost in a collision?

As in measure the amount of energy the object had before impact?
    Oat's n Sprints

Originally Posted by iJarhead View Post
    Energy lost in a collision?

As in measure the amount of energy the object had before impact?
    Sort of. According to http://www.mcasco.com/qa_icel.html

It's simply 1/2 m*v^2 of the objects before minus 1/2m*v^2 of the object after.

Given that the speed of the bullet is 200 m/s and the mass of the bullet is 5 g. the mass of the block it hits is 2 kg

1/2(.005 kg)(200m/s)^2=100 N

after impact, 1/2(2.005 kg)(.499 m/s)^2=.24N

never mind. That's the right answer<_<. Thanks guys.
    ***SCC***

MistuuhMitch is just really nice. (+1000) MistuuhMitch is just really nice. (+1000) MistuuhMitch is just really nice. (+1000) MistuuhMitch is just really nice. (+1000) MistuuhMitch is just really nice. (+1000) MistuuhMitch is just really nice. (+1000) MistuuhMitch is just really nice. (+1000) MistuuhMitch is just really nice. (+1000) MistuuhMitch is just really nice. (+1000) MistuuhMitch is just really nice. (+1000) MistuuhMitch is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Father of Cajun View Post
    Collision problem, and I can't figure out how they got this answer.

You have been asked to design a 'ballistic spring system' to measure the speed of bullets. A bullet of mass m1 is fired into a bullet of mass M2. The block, with the embedded bullet, then slides across a frictionless table and collides with a horizontal spring whose spring constant is k. The opposite end of the spring is anchored to a wall. The spring's maximum compression d is measured.

Find an expression for the bullet's speed VB in terms of m1, M2, k, and d.

The back of the book says

VB= sqrt((m1+m2)*kd^2)/m^2)
    if thats what college level looks like then i am phucked.

Originally Posted by MistuuhMitch View Post
    if thats what college level looks like then i am phucked.
    Tbh, this is one of the easier ones, but I'm on Fluids and stuff now and I was just having a brainfart with this.
    ***SCC***

AdamBombed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamBombed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamBombed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamBombed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamBombed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamBombed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamBombed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamBombed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamBombed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamBombed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamBombed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    if you tell me what text book your using, chapter and problem, i can look it up

Originally Posted by AdamBombed View Post
    if you tell me what text book your using, chapter and problem, i can look it up
    :O Physics: A Strategic Approach by Randall D. Knight,2nd edition.

I'll PM you with a problem in a minute. I figured that one out and I'm working through some more now.
    ***SCC***

AdamBombed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamBombed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamBombed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamBombed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamBombed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamBombed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamBombed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamBombed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamBombed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamBombed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamBombed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    "College Physics: A Strategic Approach (2nd) textbook problems explained step-by-step"

cramster ftw, pm away

Originally Posted by AdamBombed View Post
    "College Physics: A Strategic Approach (2nd) textbook problems explained step-by-step"

cramster ftw, pm away
    Thanks man I will for sure, just let me find one I can't figure out.
    ***SCC***