View Poll Results: pick one

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • I train completely fasted (check the thread for what complete fast means ITT)

16 34.78%
  • I either take bcaa/whey or solid food preworkout.

30 65.22%
    zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000)

Any of you train completely fasted?

By fasted i mean no bcaa/whey preworkout whatsoever.Nothing in your stomach except for water.
    *i want to hear warrior dieters/intermittent fasters's opinions.I know IF asks for whey/bcaa preworkout.I only know that pbateman2 trains completely fasted.Anyone else?Results while cutting or bulking?

thanks

adamg8504 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adamg8504 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adamg8504 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adamg8504 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adamg8504 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adamg8504 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adamg8504 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adamg8504 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adamg8504 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adamg8504 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adamg8504 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It depends, during the weekends, I lift in the mornings and I am completely fasted but during the week I lift after work (~4:30pm) and I am not fasted...

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I do and did for my comp even
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321

zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    I do and did for my comp even
    Noticed any muscle loss?Martin says it's detrimental for muscle building.What about cutting?

ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I take BCAAs before. I also make sure my sessions last no longer than 45 minutes.
    "Nutrition for powerlifting: If you are serious about it, you will eat f*cking everything and get strong as $hit." - HamburgerTrain
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=163165741

Alan,if you do check this thread,please leave an opinion.

thedudesdad is just really nice. (+1000) thedudesdad is just really nice. (+1000) thedudesdad is just really nice. (+1000) thedudesdad is just really nice. (+1000) thedudesdad is just really nice. (+1000) thedudesdad is just really nice. (+1000) thedudesdad is just really nice. (+1000) thedudesdad is just really nice. (+1000) thedudesdad is just really nice. (+1000) thedudesdad is just really nice. (+1000) thedudesdad is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have been training completely fasted the last 6 weeks and notice no difference between this and taking either a shake or bcaa beforehand.

OrcaLifter is just really nice. (+1000) OrcaLifter is just really nice. (+1000) OrcaLifter is just really nice. (+1000) OrcaLifter is just really nice. (+1000) OrcaLifter is just really nice. (+1000) OrcaLifter is just really nice. (+1000) OrcaLifter is just really nice. (+1000) OrcaLifter is just really nice. (+1000) OrcaLifter is just really nice. (+1000) OrcaLifter is just really nice. (+1000) OrcaLifter is just really nice. (+1000)
    did it take a while to get adjusted to training completely fasted? i have a hard time getting through my workout when i have had nothing to eat - particularly in the early morning.
    Today's actions are the fuel for tomorrow's goals.

BRB - Gettin' shredded FemmeFatale28's Avatar
    FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ErickStevens View Post
    I take BCAAs before. I also make sure my sessions last no longer than 45 minutes.
    ^^ x2

Originally Posted by OrcaLifter View Post
    did it take a while to get adjusted to training completely fasted? i have a hard time getting through my workout when i have had nothing to eat - particularly in the early morning.
    For me it did not, I didn't really notice how much food was weighing me down until I started training fasted. At first, I expected to feel sluggish so I did but then when I realized that it was all in my head because it was contrary to anything else that I had learned. I went from training in the mornings to the evenings where I was not fasted and I felt lazy in comparison to being fasted, also if I eat or take a shake within an hour or so before I train I really feel like ass, it upsets my stomach. So because I want to get the most out of my workouts I do my first workout in the mornings either cardio or bodyweight exercises 100% fasted and then afternoon ( about 3 hours later) I lift with BCAA's then begin eating after that. I just feel better that way, and this is coming from a person who had the mindset " I could never workout with out food, I would NOT have the energy!" to a person who realized I have tons more energy when I dont eat first.

To each his/her own I suppose.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    I defer to the expert - I do what Martin Berkhan recommends - 10g of BCAA before the workout.

The problem is that the difference is likely to be very slight but this is hard to detect because muscle growth is so slow and varies a lot between different people. I'd just rather not take any chances.

OrcaLifter is just really nice. (+1000) OrcaLifter is just really nice. (+1000) OrcaLifter is just really nice. (+1000) OrcaLifter is just really nice. (+1000) OrcaLifter is just really nice. (+1000) OrcaLifter is just really nice. (+1000) OrcaLifter is just really nice. (+1000) OrcaLifter is just really nice. (+1000) OrcaLifter is just really nice. (+1000) OrcaLifter is just really nice. (+1000) OrcaLifter is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by FemmeFatale28 View Post
    ^^ x2

For me it did not, I didn't really notice how much food was weighing me down until I started training fasted. At first, I expected to feel sluggish so I did but then when I realized that it was all in my head because it was contrary to anything else that I had learned. I went from training in the mornings to the evenings where I was not fasted and I felt lazy in comparison to being fasted, also if I eat or take a shake within an hour or so before I train I really feel like ass, it upsets my stomach. So because I want to get the most out of my workouts I do my first workout in the mornings either cardio or bodyweight exercises 100% fasted and then afternoon ( about 3 hours later) I lift with BCAA's then begin eating after that. I just feel better that way, and this is coming from a person who had the mindset " I could never workout with out food, I would NOT have the energy!" to a person who realized I have tons more energy when I dont eat first.

i would guess that if i gave it a real shot that i would find you are correct. the honest answer is it is indeed more of a mindset issue for me and a lack of that morning cup of coffee.

damn. the things we can accomplish when we start eliminating the excuses.

Cinekydo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cinekydo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cinekydo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cinekydo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cinekydo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cinekydo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cinekydo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cinekydo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cinekydo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cinekydo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cinekydo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I tried working out fasted a few times but it didn't end well. I was lethargic and miserable not to mention hungry. I think fasted workouts are largely based on the person. I'm 17 and eat like a horse so it just didint work for me, I need fuel in the tank to run.

SynchroGym will become famous soon enough. (+50) SynchroGym will become famous soon enough. (+50) SynchroGym will become famous soon enough. (+50) SynchroGym will become famous soon enough. (+50) SynchroGym will become famous soon enough. (+50) SynchroGym will become famous soon enough. (+50) SynchroGym will become famous soon enough. (+50) SynchroGym will become famous soon enough. (+50) SynchroGym will become famous soon enough. (+50) SynchroGym will become famous soon enough. (+50) SynchroGym will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Totally fasted. Wake up, chug a ciu[ of coffee in trhe wy to the gym, and eat afterwaed.

Suffering has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Suffering has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Suffering has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Suffering has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Suffering has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Suffering has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Suffering has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Suffering has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Suffering has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Suffering has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Suffering has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I did it before, and felt absolutely fine.

This post by Martin over in the IF-thread is pretty interesting:
    Originally Posted by Martin Berkhan View Post
    Are you doing pump-n-tone-stuff with short rest periods or keeping it to 8 reps max with 3 mins rest periods like you should? For the former, strength, or rather endurance, might be affected during fasted training.

The training routines I design are low volume, high intensity, usually 4-8 reps depending on the lift. Strength is almost always increased in such cases. Whether that be due to diet or training, or both, is hard to say - but the main point is that you might need to have another look at your training routine of you find yourself weaker during the fast because such an effect does not make sense if you consider it from an "energy system" perspective.

That is, maximal strength or strength in the 4-8 rep range which is more dependent on the ATP-CP system should not be affected in fasted training.

JayAllen20 is just really nice. (+1000) JayAllen20 is just really nice. (+1000) JayAllen20 is just really nice. (+1000) JayAllen20 is just really nice. (+1000) JayAllen20 is just really nice. (+1000) JayAllen20 is just really nice. (+1000) JayAllen20 is just really nice. (+1000) JayAllen20 is just really nice. (+1000) JayAllen20 is just really nice. (+1000) JayAllen20 is just really nice. (+1000) JayAllen20 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Actually, I just LITERALLY started working out in a fasted state a week ago. I was always a big "I must eat something before I work out" type of guy but lately I've been trying to get to the gym early in the AM to avoid traffic either way, so eating and waiting for it to digest just takes up needless time.

I can honestly say (I keep track of all my workouts) that from day one I've noticed an increase in energy, focus, and lifts. I don't have any scientific research, studies or claims to back this up, but I was surprised at how I felt. I do drink my pre workout (Green Mag/White Flood) on my way to the gym, but that's it, and I do drink Purple Wrath through out my workouts, so those may make a difference. But so far I don't have any problems with it as far as lack of energy and lack of strength

If you asked me 2 weeks ago I would have been totally against it, but I'm quickly becoming a believer. HAHA

B-ryminD09 is a complete loser! (-2000) B-ryminD09 is a complete loser! (-2000) B-ryminD09 is a complete loser! (-2000) B-ryminD09 is a complete loser! (-2000) B-ryminD09 is a complete loser! (-2000) B-ryminD09 is a complete loser! (-2000) B-ryminD09 is a complete loser! (-2000) B-ryminD09 is a complete loser! (-2000) B-ryminD09 is a complete loser! (-2000) B-ryminD09 is a complete loser! (-2000) B-ryminD09 is a complete loser! (-2000)
    i've done it a few times while on a I.M. diet. i suprisingly really liked it. i was always one to eat a decent sized meal before.

anyone else get better pumps while fasted?

Originally Posted by SynchroGym View Post
    Totally fasted. Wake up, chug a ciu[ of coffee in trhe wy to the gym, and eat afterwaed.
    Originally Posted by JayAllen20 View Post
    Actually, I just LITERALLY started working out in a fasted state a week ago. I was always a big "I must eat something before I work out" type of guy but lately I've been trying to get to the gym early in the AM to avoid traffic either way, so eating and waiting for it to digest just takes up needless time.

I can honestly say (I keep track of all my workouts) that from day one I've noticed an increase in energy, focus, and lifts. I don't have any scientific research, studies or claims to back this up, but I was surprised at how I felt. I do drink my pre workout (Green Mag/White Flood) on my way to the gym, but that's it, and I do drink Purple Wrath through out my workouts, so those may make a difference. But so far I don't have any problems with it as far as lack of energy and lack of strength

If you asked me 2 weeks ago I would have been totally against it, but I'm quickly becoming a believer. HAHA
    guess i need to grab my coffee to go and hit the gym first thing a few times this week.

JayAllen20 is just really nice. (+1000) JayAllen20 is just really nice. (+1000) JayAllen20 is just really nice. (+1000) JayAllen20 is just really nice. (+1000) JayAllen20 is just really nice. (+1000) JayAllen20 is just really nice. (+1000) JayAllen20 is just really nice. (+1000) JayAllen20 is just really nice. (+1000) JayAllen20 is just really nice. (+1000) JayAllen20 is just really nice. (+1000) JayAllen20 is just really nice. (+1000)
    guess i need to grab my coffee to go and hit the gym first thing a few times this week.
    well, Like I said, I've only been doing it the past week, so I'm no expert. I figured it would take awhile for my body to get used to it and that this first week would be the sh**y week energy and strength wise, but so far so good. There are a few on here who have been training fasted religiously for quite some time now. PBateman2 is the one I can think of off the top of my head. He's got a pretty popular workout journal going on it

Originally Posted by JayAllen20 View Post
    well, Like I said, I've only been doing it the past week, so I'm no expert. I figured it would take awhile for my body to get used to it and that this first week would be the sh**y week energy and strength wise, but so far so good. There are a few on here who have been training fasted religiously for quite some time now. PBateman2 is the one I can think of off the top of my head. He's got a pretty popular workout journal going on it
    yeah. it is interesting though to hear several people who had the same mindset as i do having success lifting in the morning before eating. i'd like to give it a shot, if for no other reason than to same some time in the evenings a few times a week.

Ecnewyx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ecnewyx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ecnewyx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ecnewyx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ecnewyx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ecnewyx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ecnewyx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ecnewyx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ecnewyx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ecnewyx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ecnewyx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I train fasted because of a combination of I.F. and my work schedule being a bish. I think the current consensus though is that there's no real difference between fasted vs. unfasted training IF your energy level remains consistent (i.e., fasted training doesn't result in fewer reps or lower weight).
    ~ Never Having Kids So Can Save Up For a 4K TV and a PLP Computer Setup Crew ~

BRB - Gettin' shredded FemmeFatale28's Avatar
    FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i would guess that if i gave it a real shot that i would find you are correct. the honest answer is it is indeed more of a mindset issue for me and a lack of that morning cup of coffee.

damn. the things we can accomplish when we start eliminating the excuses.

You can have your coffee You can even use a 1tsp of milk and keep the fast, the 40 calories in 10g of BCAA's doesnt break the fast either.. I have my coffee in the mornings for sure. But yeah.. try to avoid the mental traps that bb.com instills in your head. I honestly believe that muscle loss doesnt become a real issue until you are very,very lean.

PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Best to follow a structured protocol (i.e. IF) then can tweak based on your results.

Lol...I have nasty instant Folgers every morning (pre-workout)...

Havent done BCAAs...at least not yet.
    BRAINS & GAINS

Strong Mind + Strong Body = UNSTOPPABLE

did a fasted workout today,after a ~ 18-20 hours of fasting.I've done this a year ago while i was training for bodybuilding and it went very well,but today was my first fasted day doing a powerlifting workout (jim wendler's 5/3/1).I'd say i had a 7-8/10 workout but i would put this on calorie restriction rather than on fasted training.First month of doing the 5/3/1 i was eating 4k+ calories and now im eating 2200-2500.I wont give up on cutting but i`ll have to change my powerlifting routine,i need something intensive and a few reps.The All-out-set from 5/3/1 is really killing me on calorie restriction.

vanzack will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanzack will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanzack will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanzack will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanzack will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanzack will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanzack will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanzack will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanzack will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanzack will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanzack will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by FemmeFatale28 View Post

I could not have said it better......repped...........I have been exactly 3.5 weeks now training fasted myself and she is spot on in how I feel as well.
    Monday- Abs/HIIT
    Tuesday- Chest, Biceps, Cardio
    Wednesday- HIIT or Rest
    Thursday- Shoulders, Triceps, Traps, Light Cardio
    Friday- HIIT
    Saturday- Back, Abs, Cardio
    Sunday- Legs, Cardio

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by zpm View Post
    Noticed any muscle loss?Martin says it's detrimental for muscle building.What about cutting?
    only noticed muscle loss cutting carbs out, not fasting
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321