KG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

cheat meals - all info is appreciated

hey all, hope everyone is doing well, I have somewhat basic questions about cheat meals and I will let you know what I know/think they do etc so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ok so what my brother and I want to incorporate into our diets is a cheat meal, this isn't because we are craving it though, its more aimed to achieve better results. Does that make sense?

I want to state that I am currently cutting and my brother is bulking so this might affect us in different ways, so I would like to know if it would and how it would.

So what I understand about incorporating a cheat meal on a weekly basis is that its purpose is to confuse your body and metabolism to think it needs to go into some sort of overdrive, then you immediately switch back to normal diet eating the next meal, but your metabolism is still working harder. Is this right?

I also understand a cheat meal isn't supposed to be a binge, just a meal, so lets say for example like 2 slices of pizza and not a pie, a bowl of ice cream not a carton, correct? Is there an optimal calorie number that would be best? I know for my meals on the regular they range from 400-600 calories but frequently of course.

Also I would like to know just for education purposes if lets say someone was depriving themselves of caloric intake, like drastically, wouldn't a cheat meal therefore be fully stored because your body was in a starvation state, thus saving whatever it can.

I am aware there are threads about this etc, however I am interested in a personal discussion about this, also I had some pretty technical/individual based questions.

I do appreciate the help!
    Be happy & healthy
    KG
    KG

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    why would you count calories on a cheat meal? defeats the purpose

a planned refeed is what you want
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321

KG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    why would you count calories on a cheat meal? defeats the purpose

a planned refeed is what you want
    please elaborate?

on planned refeed (and yeah you are right)

:edit: but still looking for info about cheat meals, bc i bet my bro would be more interested, im more hardcore
    KG

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You can search for refeed threads

basically people have cheat meals because they either can't stick to a diet or
    they have a diet too strict and don't incorporate foods they like and therefore need a fix of
    what they crave. They go nuts and eat crap and don't count

A structured refeed is a day planned out where the macros change (based on a low carb diet) to kick start leptin levels etc which are low from continuous strict dieting.

1 shows control, 1 doesn't

Plus most peoples cheat meal ends up in a day. Why cheat? Just have a flexible diet. Not hard
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321

they have a diet too strict and don't incorporate foods they like and therefore need a fix of

A structured refeed is a day planned out where the macros change (based on a low carb diet) to kick start leptin levels etc which are low from continuous strict dieting.

Plus most peoples cheat meal ends up in a day. Why cheat? Just have a flexible diet. Not hard
    yeah we're on the same page about this, thanks dude

as i think about this and read a little I realize I think I do refeeding based off of feel more than anything. like if my energy levels do seem to be depleting I will have more carbs in that following meal. I suppose its more or less the same thing.
    KG

ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    There is little to no metabolic benefit of an all out cheat meal/day. Odds are you'll end up doing more harm than good to your physique if you just eat whatever you want. If you want to take a cheat meal/day (or like me recently, a weekend!) then the reasons for doing so would be completely psychological. I've done it a couple times since my contest for two reasons: a. To give myself a mental break after counting every single calorie I ate for 5+ months. b. To motivate myself to stick to my diet. Nothing like a disgusting food hangover for that. I might get labeled "mentally weak" but since I went as far as logging individual mints, gum, and packets of Crystal Lite during my prep, I fail to give a fuk what anybody thinks.

A refeed however is an entirely different animal.
    "Nutrition for powerlifting: If you are serious about it, you will eat f*cking everything and get strong as $hit." - HamburgerTrain
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=163165741

Originally Posted by ErickStevens View Post
    There is little to no metabolic benefit of an all out cheat meal/day. If you want to take a cheat meal/day (or like me recently, a weekend!) then the reasons for doing so would be completely psychological. I've done it a couple times since my contest for two reasons: a. To give myself a mental break after counting every single calorie I ate for 5+ months. b. To motivate myself to stick to my diet. Nothing like a disgusting food hangover for that. I might get labeled "mentally weak" but since I went as far as logging individual mints, gum, and packets of Crystal Lite during my prep, I fail to give a fuk what anybody thinks.

A refeed however is an entirely different animal.
    ahaha reps bro, and if you want my honest opinion, I think you are mentally strong. Why? You did ****ing contests! Eat 100 pizza pies and I will still be impressed. Yeah I think this time around why I find I don't have that physiological desire to eat is because for the first time I am eating a more balanced diet with more fruits/veggies etc and a larger variety. In the past I would make insane lists of what I would binge on after a certain date then just found myself on a slippery slope after that. For me, the only way I can maintain my physiological stability is prob not cheating, ironically, haha.

keep up the good work, and thanks!
    kg
    KG

ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by KG89 View Post
    ahaha reps bro, and if you want my honest opinion, I think you are mentally strong. Why? You did ****ing contests! Eat 100 pizza pies and I will still be impressed. Yeah I think this time around why I find I don't have that physiological desire to eat is because for the first time I am eating a more balanced diet with more fruits/veggies etc and a larger variety. In the past I would make insane lists of what I would binge on after a certain date then just found myself on a slippery slope after that. For me, the only way I can maintain my physiological stability is prob not cheating, ironically, haha.

keep up the good work, and thanks!
    kg
    No problem. Also there's no better feeling than eating "clean" after a weekend of stuffing your face full of crap. It's then you really realize the difference between the effects of quality whole food versus processed garbage.
    "Nutrition for powerlifting: If you are serious about it, you will eat f*cking everything and get strong as $hit." - HamburgerTrain
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=163165741

Originally Posted by ErickStevens View Post
    No problem. Also there's no better feeling than eating "clean" after a weekend of stuffing your face full of crap. It's then you really realize the difference between the effects of quality whole food versus processed garbage.
    ahhh yes, I do agree your value for food is greatly increased when eating so strict. For me, a lot of it has to do with that "clean" feeling but also the impact it has on my mental-self. Its really crazy how I'm kind of like two different people when eating healthy/****ty. I like the healthy person a lot better!
    KG

psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

I totally disagree with you. I plan cheat meals in to my diet. I think it shows control that you are able to plan when they happen and to only eat crappy the one time each week and still maintain your overal diet and fitness. I have been exercising/dieting sine jan. Down 44 total lbs. Think I've only gained on 2 weigh ins. I cheat once a week to satisfy my cravings and to remind myself why I am eating better in the first place. To me there is a big difference between a planned cheat meal and random lack of control cheating. Just my thoughts
    PL Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154662503

BTK!

First Meet 8/25/13 281/264/418 963 @198

5/24/14 352.5/286/462.5 1101 @242

flinkpoyd01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flinkpoyd01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flinkpoyd01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flinkpoyd01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flinkpoyd01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flinkpoyd01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flinkpoyd01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flinkpoyd01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flinkpoyd01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flinkpoyd01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flinkpoyd01 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by psychodiver9 View Post
    I totally disagree with you. I plan cheat meals in to my diet. I think it shows control that you are able to plan when they happen and to only eat crappy the one time each week and still maintain your overal diet and fitness. I have been exercising/dieting sine jan. Down 44 total lbs. Think I've only gained on 2 weigh ins. I cheat once a week to satisfy my cravings and to remind myself why I am eating better in the first place. To me there is a big difference between a planned cheat meal and random lack of control cheating. Just my thoughts
    If cutting/dieting is your overall goal, then a true test of control (IMHO) is being able to vary your diet day to day to incorporate different items such that you don't end up thinking you need/want a "cheat" meal. Want pizza? Make a flat out pizza. Easy to do with a ton of veggies/chicken/ff mozz/garlic/spices that is still under 500 cals and could still be considered a "dieting" food. Ice cream? Get some Dreyers/Edy's double churned and have two servings at about 220cals. If you can't fit something into a cutting lifestyle that you REALLY want then you aren't trying hard enough to 1. find a suitable alternative or 2. take the time to prepare something even better.

Just my take. It's not worth much per my post count but I think (at least some) others here will agree.

flinkpoyd01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flinkpoyd01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flinkpoyd01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flinkpoyd01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flinkpoyd01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flinkpoyd01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flinkpoyd01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flinkpoyd01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flinkpoyd01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flinkpoyd01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flinkpoyd01 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by flinkpoyd01 View Post
    Just my take. It's not worth much per my post count but I think (at least some) others here will agree.
    Also: I went from 265 to 170 since the beginning of January by following the guidelines that I just posted. I had some totally sh!t meals macro wise in there of course, but to say that a person shows more control by having cheat meals than NOT having them is a little over the top IMHO. I see where you were going with it though.

Originally Posted by flinkpoyd01 View Post
    If cutting/dieting is your overall goal, then a true test of control (IMHO) is being able to vary your diet day to day to incorporate different items such that you don't end up thinking you need/want a "cheat" meal. Want pizza? Make a flat out pizza. Easy to do with a ton of veggies/chicken/ff mozz/garlic/spices that is still under 500 cals and could still be considered a "dieting" food. Ice cream? Get some Dreyers/Edy's double churned and have two servings at about 220cals. If you can't fit something into a cutting lifestyle that you REALLY want then you aren't trying hard enough to 1. find a suitable alternative or 2. take the time to prepare something even better.

i like your perspective
    KG

psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I never claimed that it shows "more" control to have cheat meals than to not. I guess I am coming from the perspective that this is life and its ok to endulge if you 1 plan for it and 2 don't make it a habit. Obviously the less often you "cheat" the quicker you will lose weight but is that worth it? To me its not worth it to say I'm never going to eat X again. If you can cheat occasionally and still maintain a cut/weight loss lifestlye then why not? I think it is inaccurate to say that this shows a lack of control.
    As to your point on healthy alternatives I agree and have done this with many things, including pizza. This is a great way to attempt to satisfy your cravings and maintain health. I agree 100%. Some things (beer at tailgates, etc) you just can't
    Congrats on your success.
    PL Log

BTK!

In it for the Long Haul! bbavender's Avatar
    bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000)
    I never claimed that it shows "more" control to have cheat meals than to not. I guess I am coming from the perspective that this is life and its ok to endulge if you 1 plan for it and 2 don't make it a habit. Obviously the less often you "cheat" the quicker you will lose weight but is that worth it? To me its not worth it to say I'm never going to eat X again. If you can cheat occasionally and still maintain a cut/weight loss lifestlye then why not? I think it is inaccurate to say that this shows a lack of control.
    As to your point on healthy alternatives I agree and have done this with many things, including pizza. This is a great way to attempt to satisfy your cravings and maintain health. I agree 100%. Some things (beer at tailgates, etc) you just can't
    Congrats on your success.
    I dont think he was saying anything about more control. What I think his point was that you dont have to call it a cheat. Just build it into your diet and roll with it. If your diet is go rigid that you cant experiment then like he said a. your not trying hard enough or b. you lack imagination

it isnt about comparing anyone at all, its all just what works for the individual...

stay healthy and happy, all that matters in the end
    KG

I guess I am coming from the perspective that this is life and its ok to endulge if you 1 plan for it and 2 don't make it a habit.
    I totally disagree with you. I plan cheat meals in to my diet. I think it shows control that you are able to plan when they happen and to only eat crappy the one time each week and still maintain your overal diet and fitness.
    Why cheat? Just have a flexible diet. Not hard
    Did you even read my whole post? I said have a flexible diet, i.e. incorporate these "bad" meals into it.

Originally Posted by bbavender View Post
    I dont think he was saying anything about more control. What I think his point was that you dont have to call it a cheat. Just build it into your diet and roll with it. If your diet is go rigid that you cant experiment then like he said a. your not trying hard enough or b. you lack imagination
    When I have a "cheat" I don't attempt to incorporate it into my macros. I take that meal and just say to hell with it I want this and I'm going to eat it. If that means I "lack control" or "imagination" then so be it. I have lost 44 lbs so my "lack of control" must not be too bad. Too each their own. I just don't think you have to be so rigid about it and insult people who don't do it the same way as you.
    PL Log

BTK!

In it for the Long Haul! bbavender's Avatar
    bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000)
    When I have a "cheat" I don't attempt to incorporate it into my macros. I take that meal and just say to hell with it I want this and I'm going to eat it. If that means I "lack control" or "imagination" then so be it. I have lost 44 lbs so my "lack of control" must not be too bad. Too each their own. I just don't think you have to be so rigid about it and insult people who don't do it the same way as you.
    I wasnt trying to insult anyone. I was just saying instead of referring it as a cheat, I try to build everything into my meal plan that way I dont crave anything. If I know I can have it, why crave having to "cheat"?
    ED got me, ill be darned if it gets anyone else.

Only the strong survive...

25-RAC-99

Follow my RFL Journey: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141048001

stop blowing up my thread on this bull****
    KG

I have lost 44 lbs so my "lack of control" must not be too bad
    but of course you weighed a lot more than say someone who is 170lbs and starting to cut with less to lose.

Originally Posted by KG89 View Post
    stop blowing up my thread on this bull****
    Didn't you ask for peoples thoughts on cheating? Its totally relevant to the thread.

Yes. I obviously had more to lose and perhaps it will be different for me when I get closer to my goals. I agree that building it into your macros is ideal. I was simply trying to present a different vantage point for the sake of the thread.

Obviously you don't want the input so I will stop "blowing up your thread"
    PL Log

BTK!

Suffering has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Suffering has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Suffering has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Suffering has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Suffering has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Suffering has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Suffering has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Suffering has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Suffering has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Suffering has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Suffering has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I like Lyle McDonald's way of calling them 'free meals' instead of cheat meals. 'Cheat' has guilty written all over it.