JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

70 lbs gone.. been on a plateau for over a month now! Please Help!

Hello everyone! So I started my fat loss journey in Feb of this year. I had always been seriously over weight and I found this website and found myself really motivated to change. At the time I was at 244 lbs and my self esteem was at an all time low. Thanks to all the advice and motivation I find here (and a whole lot of dedication..lol) I am currently 174 lbs and 30% bf according to a measurement calculator I used online. I've cleaned up my diet and am currently eating 15-1800 calories a day calculated by the loseit app on my Iphone. Here is a typical day for me:

Wake up: 4:30 A.M.- 5 g Glutamine,2.5 g Creatine, Ezekiel bread toasted, peanut butter

5:00-6:30 A.M. - Gym, Weight Training x 1 hour, Cardio x 30 minutes

7:00 A.M. - Breakfast- 1/3 cup Oatmeal with 1 egg and 2 whites,2.5 g Creatine, 3/4 cup of grapes. Multivitamin, calcium supp, fish oil supp.

10:30-11- Snack- Protein/Fruit or Veggie

12:00 - Lunch- Whole grain, Protein, Fruit or veggie

2:30-3:00 Snack- protein, fruit or veggie

6:00- Dinner- Whole grain, protein, veggie, multivitamin, calcium supp, fish oil supp.

8:30- Protein shake/5 g Glutamine

I usually have one cheat meal reserved for Sundays.

I have decreased the calories according to my weight loss with the help of the app.

My excercise program is currently a 5 day split, chest, back, legs, delts, and arms. I find myself changing between 2-3 sets of 3-5 reps or 10-12 reps every 4 weeks, always going to failure by the last rep. The weight I can lift has greatly increased since feb. I keep the big 3 in tow, bench presses, dead lifts and squats, and I am usually changing the isolation moves along with my 4 week rep change.
    I do 20-30 minutes of cardio following every weight session except for legs. I switch between the treadmill, stair climber, and elliptical.
    My major issue is I want to lose at least 20, possibly 30 more pounds of body fat and I have been stuck at 174 for the past 7 weeks I tried to decrease my calories to 1200 per day, but I found that left me very sluggish and tired when it came to my workouts. This is my first time ever losing weight and I was hoping those more experienced than myself could help me out I would really appreciate it more than I could ever express!

hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000)
    Congrats on the weight loss.

Could be that your bod just needs a break from being in a deficit for so long. Eat more food for a couple of weeks to adjust your hormones (leptin I believe goes down when in a deficit for a long time). Then go back to being in a deficit.

michvolley is just really nice. (+1000) michvolley is just really nice. (+1000) michvolley is just really nice. (+1000) michvolley is just really nice. (+1000) michvolley is just really nice. (+1000) michvolley is just really nice. (+1000) michvolley is just really nice. (+1000) michvolley is just really nice. (+1000) michvolley is just really nice. (+1000) michvolley is just really nice. (+1000) michvolley is just really nice. (+1000)
    Congrats! Have you tried any HIIT? Are you getting 8 hours sleep?
    I just like to smile, smiling's my favorite.

MeMightyMouse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MeMightyMouse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Congratulations, 70lbs in 10 months is AMAZING work! Have you been taking the 5g creatine that whole time? If so, you might try cycling it (stop taking it for a month or two and then consider starting again). Sometimes people who do well w creatine will get that initial boost back from cycling.

If you haven't be sure to read through the stickies and see if your macros and cals are in line w the recommendations...your diet looks like it may be really low in fat? I'm not entirely sure what your macros are from that description, but you may be a tad high on carbs (depending on how many servings of the fruit/veg are fruit) and if your protein sources are really lean, consider adding more good fats. Also, though different folks have different feelings on nutrient timing and I don't know what type of protein shake you're taking, if you're working out in the morning, you may not really need a protein shake before bed, unless you like to have that as a dessert item. If you can handle liquid before you work out, swapping the toast/PB and the shake (assuming it's something like whey and not casein) might be slightly more ideal. Looks like most of your fat intake is right before and after your workout, and ppl who believe that nutrient timing does matter would generally not recommend that (though other ppl may argue that it doesn't matter... since you're stalled though it probably couldn't hurt to try something new). Do you eat dairy? I'm a huge fan of greek yogurt and cottage cheese for a little protein variety.
    Last edited by MeMightyMouse; 11-26-2010 at 01:11 PM.

JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by michvolley View Post
    Congrats! Have you tried any HIIT? Are you getting 8 hours sleep?
    I started doing HIIT a couple months ago. I prefer it to any other type of cardio simply because just doing something moderate over a long period of time bores me and I sleep from 9-4:30, so that is 7 1/2 hours, is that adequate?
    Last edited by JenL87; 11-26-2010 at 01:00 PM. Reason: unfinished answer

Originally Posted by hieronymous View Post
    Congrats on the weight loss.

Could be that your bod just needs a break from being in a deficit for so long. Eat more food for a couple of weeks to adjust your hormones (leptin I believe goes down when in a deficit for a long time). Then go back to being in a deficit.
    This might work, I think I might try it

Originally Posted by MeMightyMouse View Post
    Congratulations, 70lbs in 10 months is AMAZING work! Have you been taking the 5g creatine that whole time? If so, you might try cycling it (stop taking it for a month or two and then consider starting again). Sometimes people who do well w creatine will get that initial boost back from cycling.

If you haven't be sure to read through the stickies and see if your macros and cals are in line w the recommendations...your diet looks like it may be really low in fat? I'm not entirely sure what your macros are from that description, but you may be a tad high on carbs (depending on how many servings of the fruit/veg are fruit) and if your protein sources are really lean, consider adding more good fats. Also, though different folks have different feelings on nutrient timing and I don't know what type of protein shake you're taking, if you're working out in the morning, you may not really need a protein shake before bed, unless you're having that as a dessert item. If you can handle liquid before you work out, swapping the toast/PB and the shake (assuming it's something like whey and not casein) might be slightly more ideal. Looks like most of your fat intake is right before and after your workout, and ppl who believe that nutrient timing does matter would generally not recommend that (though other ppl may argue that it doesn't matter... since you're stalled though it probably couldn't hurt to try something new). Do you eat dairy? I'm a huge fan of greek yogurt and cottage cheese for a little protein variety.
    According to my food tracker, I stay somewhere in the range of 40% carbs, 40% protein, and 20% fat. Is this good? Should I up my fats? I started taking casien protein shakes before bed because I read that they help your muscles recover better when you sleep. I have been seriously considering decreasing my carbs. I have read many blogs and articles about it, and I have been really wanting to try out the keto diet. I just have no idea on how to go about it. It seems like everything has carbs in it. Even on days where I am trying to cut carbs, I always seem to hit 40% I do eat some cottage cheese when I need a low calorie protein source, but I have never really been a huge fan of dairy foods. They seem to make it hard for me to breath and I always feel heavier after eating them. Maybe I just need to try different products. I will try greek yogurt next time I go grocery shopping.

If you haven't be sure to read through the stickies and see if your macros and cals are in line w the recommendations...your diet looks like it may be really low in fat? I'm not entirely sure what your macros are from that description, but you may be a tad high on carbs (depending on how many servings of the fruit/veg are fruit) and if your protein sources are really lean, consider adding more good fats. Also, though different folks have different feelings on nutrient timing and I don't know what type of protein shake you're taking, if you're working out in the morning, you may not really need a protein shake before bed, unless you like to have that as a dessert item. If you can handle liquid before you work out, swapping the toast/PB and the shake (assuming it's something like whey and not casein) might be slightly more ideal. Looks like most of your fat intake is right before and after your workout, and ppl who believe that nutrient timing does matter would generally not recommend that (though other ppl may argue that it doesn't matter... since you're stalled though it probably couldn't hurt to try something new). Do you eat dairy? I'm a huge fan of greek yogurt and cottage cheese for a little protein variety.
    OH! And I do 4 weeks on, 4 weeks off when it comes to the creatine. I do get some bloat when I load, but for the most part I lose the water weight as soon as a cycle is over.

michvolley is just really nice. (+1000) michvolley is just really nice. (+1000) michvolley is just really nice. (+1000) michvolley is just really nice. (+1000) michvolley is just really nice. (+1000) michvolley is just really nice. (+1000) michvolley is just really nice. (+1000) michvolley is just really nice. (+1000) michvolley is just really nice. (+1000) michvolley is just really nice. (+1000) michvolley is just really nice. (+1000)
    Oh okay, with the time you wake up I was hoping you didn't say 6 hours or something. Maybe increasing your weights could help give your body an extra boost. (Also this is personal I know, but some meds definitely slow weight loss and for me I couldn't get below 180 for months until I stopped taking birth control hormones, then boom it started coming off. Not always an option, I know)

Originally Posted by michvolley View Post
    Oh okay, with the time you wake up I was hoping you didn't say 6 hours or something. Maybe increasing your weights could help give your body an extra boost. (Also this is personal I know, but some meds definitely slow weight loss and for me I couldn't get below 180 for months until I stopped taking birth control hormones, then boom it started coming off. Not always an option, I know)
    I am currently on a mirena IUD. It's not too personal, I know meds can affect our bodies in undesirable ways. I've had it since 2008, recieving it 6 weeks after the birth of my son. It hasn't caused any issues thus far, but I know birth control is notorious for causing weight gain.

MeMightyMouse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MeMightyMouse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by JenL87 View Post
    According to my food tracker, I stay somewhere in the range of 40% carbs, 40% protein, and 20% fat. Is this good? Should I up my fats?
    Perhaps consider swapping to 1 to 1.5 grams protein per lb weight, .45g to 1 g fat per lb weight. On your 1500 cal days (which should probably go away: too low), that would only put you at 150 g protein... not super low, but enough that it would probably be worth increasing, especially since you're spending the $$ on creatine. I think I feel best at about 1.5-1.6 grams of protein per lb, but everyone is different. Your fat intake (in my non-medical opinion) is too low for a long term eating plan. The 1500 cal days (and again, you could probably eat more than that) only gives you 33 grams of fat, which is definitely on the lower end of any guideline and very low for an active person. Try aiming for at least 75g of fat from healthy sources. Carbs can be used to fill up the rest of your calories, which as the other ladies said could probably be bumped up, you've been eating well below maintenance for a long time. Congrats again on all your great results so far and hard work!

Perhaps consider swapping to 1 to 1.5 grams protein per lb weight, .45g to 1 g fat per lb weight. On your 1500 cal days (which should probably go away: too low), that would only put you at 150 g protein... not super low, but enough that it would probably be worth increasing, especially since you're spending the $$ on creatine. I think I feel best at about 1.5-1.6 grams of protein per lb, but everyone is different. Your fat intake (in my non-medical opinion) is too low for a long term eating plan. The 1500 cal days (and again, you could probably eat more than that) only gives you 33 grams of fat, which is definitely on the lower end of any guideline and very low for an active person. Try aiming for at least 75g of fat from healthy sources. Carbs can be used to fill up the rest of your calories, which as the other ladies said could probably be bumped up, you've been eating well below maintenance for a long time. Congrats again on all your great results so far and hard work!
    I just read the sticky about calculating calories... I have officially bumped them up to 1,982 per day according to the calculator. That calorie amount should be split 738 calories (184.5 g) to lean protein, 675 calories (75 g) to healthy fats, and the remaining 569 calories (142.25 g) to carbs. I have glanced at this sticky before.. I really should have paid closer attention to it. I am using these guidelines starting today.

Thank you so much everyone!

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You've been given good advice on rechecking the diet, getting the minimum 0.3g of good fat per pound of body weight, changing up your lifting routine, HIIT, etc. Do not overlook the need to take a break from dieting. You need to do that periodically and get your leptin levels back up. A week break every 12 weeks and occasional higher cal/carb days will all help you continue.

Congrats on the major weight loss!!! That is an awesome accomplishment!

leggomyeggo will become famous soon enough. (+50) leggomyeggo will become famous soon enough. (+50) leggomyeggo will become famous soon enough. (+50) leggomyeggo will become famous soon enough. (+50) leggomyeggo will become famous soon enough. (+50) leggomyeggo will become famous soon enough. (+50) leggomyeggo will become famous soon enough. (+50) leggomyeggo will become famous soon enough. (+50) leggomyeggo will become famous soon enough. (+50) leggomyeggo will become famous soon enough. (+50) leggomyeggo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by freebirdmac View Post
    You've been given good advice on rechecking the diet, getting the minimum 0.3g of good fat per pound of body weight, changing up your lifting routine, HIIT, etc. Do not overlook the need to take a break from dieting. You need to do that periodically and get your leptin levels back up. A week break every 12 weeks and occasional higher cal/carb days will all help you continue.

Congrats on the major weight loss!!! That is an awesome accomplishment!
    ^^This, especially the congratulations

It can be very difficult from a psychological perspective (after being so committed to weight loss for so long) to take a "diet breaK" but it might be necessary--you might enjoy this article from Lyle McDonald's excellent website:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...iet-break.html

thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm loving this thread.

OP asks for advice.
    Gets great advice.
    OP implements advice (or will).

Yay. Wish all threads went like this ....

mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Congrats OP on your amazing weight loss. I am very envious of you. I started out this year hoping for similar results, but alas it did not happen. Of course, because of my lack of dedication. However, I am inspired by your story. Good luck on busting through your plateau, these ladies have given some great advice.
    "There's something about a heavy weight that makes a body not want to get under it. Part of the fun of weightlifting is rousing one's spirit and getting under a heavy weight in spite of one's more sensible survival instincts." -Stenn

"Conditioning prepares you for battle. Cardio makes you really good at running slowly away." -Chris Shugart.

TEAM AMAZON - Sisterhood of Iron

My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=571188111#post571188111

Suzanne813 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just read the sticky about calculating calories... I have officially bumped them up to 1,982 per day according to the calculator. That calorie amount should be split 738 calories (184.5 g) to lean protein, 675 calories (75 g) to healthy fats, and the remaining 569 calories (142.25 g) to carbs. I have glanced at this sticky before.. I really should have paid closer attention to it. I am using these guidelines starting today.
    Same thing happened to me after I lost the first 80 lbs. At that point I thought I still had wayyy more body fat than I actually had. I was calculating my calories based on 30%, and when I had it measured I found out I was actually at 23%! Recalculated my calories and ended up eating about 200 more calories a day, and the weight loss picked right back up again.

Congrats OP and best of luck!

It was a major thing for me to get my mind around. Eating MORE to lose weight.. I am sticking with it though. I revamped my diet to fit the nutrient and calorie needs Even just after 2 days of change I feel better/fuller. I will keep you posted! This is a guideline I came up with so far... I keep it posted on my fridge.

Breakfast: Protein/complex carb/healthy fat
    Snack: Protein/Fruit or Veggie
    Lunch: Protein/complex carb/ veggie/ healthy fat
    Snack: protein/ fruit or veggie
    Dinner: protein/veggie/healthy fat
    Snack: protein/healthy fat

I split this accordingly to my 184.5 g protein, 75 g fat, and 142.25 g of carbs.

I read that article about taking a break from dieting! Very informative! I will do that too!

Carlycavwifey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Carlycavwifey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Carlycavwifey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Carlycavwifey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Carlycavwifey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Carlycavwifey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Carlycavwifey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Carlycavwifey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Carlycavwifey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Carlycavwifey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Carlycavwifey has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I've been at a plateau since May! I don't overeat or binge, and I exercise several times a week. I'm obese and you would think I would be losing weight since I don't overeat and am always in a deficit. But after remembering what helped me lose weight in the past it was the fact that I had 2 cheat days a week. I haven't had a huge calorie day since March and this could explain why I have plateaued. So what I did Wednesday and Thursday was cram down as much food as I could handle. I hate feeling full and I usually stop eating when I'm satisfied because I've been a IE for so long. But I'm hoping those 2 days of eating over maintenance will help jump start my metabolism again, plus it's easy for me to hop back on plan with IE.
    Celebrating the birth of my 3rd crotch dropping :)

egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It was a major thing for me to get my mind around. Eating MORE to lose weight.. I am sticking with it though. I revamped my diet to fit the nutrient and calorie needs Even just after 2 days of change I feel better/fuller. I will keep you posted! This is a guideline I came up with so far... I keep it posted on my fridge.

Breakfast: Protein/complex carb/healthy fat
    Snack: Protein/Fruit or Veggie
    Lunch: Protein/complex carb/ veggie/ healthy fat
    Snack: protein/ fruit or veggie
    Dinner: protein/veggie/healthy fat
    Snack: protein/healthy fat

I split this accordingly to my 184.5 g protein, 75 g fat, and 142.25 g of carbs.
    You'e gotten some very good advice from several knowledgable people here. Its good that you are making some changes, including taking a break from "dieting".

I did notice something here in the new diet plan. There are two meals in which you are mixing a complex carb with a fat. Its generally not a good idea to mix fats with carbs, especially complex carbs, in the same meal. This can promote the retention of fat in the body. If the meal is very low in carbs, such as including a bit of veggies or small amount of green vegetable, that is OK because the carbs in these foods are very low. But otherwise your meals should be either Protein and Carbs or Protein and Fat.

I would suggest removing the fat from breakfast( you need the carbs early in the morning so they are important here). Then move the fat from lunch to snack #1 and make this a protein and fat meal with little or no carbs. Lunch is now protein and carbs. The rest can stay as is.
    "People listen to rich folks. People they pray for poor folks"- John Thompson, long time head basketball coach at Georgetown University.

Passion doesn't pay the bills. G4P does.

Originally Posted by egoatdoor View Post
    You'e gotten some very good advice from several knowledgable people here. Its good that you are making some changes, including taking a break from "dieting".

I did notice something here in the new diet plan. There are two meals in which you are mixing a complex carb with a fat. Its generally not a good idea to mix fats with carbs, especially complex carbs, in the same meal. This can promote the retention of fat in the body. If the meal is very low in carbs, such as including a bit of veggies or small amount of green vegetable, that is OK because the carbs in these foods are very low. But otherwise your meals should be either Protein and Carbs or Protein and Fat.

I would suggest removing the fat from breakfast( you need the carbs early in the morning so they are important here). Then move the fat from lunch to snack #1 and make this a protein and fat meal with little or no carbs. Lunch is now protein and carbs. The rest can stay as is.
    I would have never thought of that! That is a really good idea! New meal guidelines...

Breakfast: Protein/ Complex Carb
    Snack: Protein/ Fat
    Lunch: Protein/ Complex Carb/ Veggie
    Snack: Protein/ Fruit or Veggie
    Dinner: Protein/ Low Carb Veggie/ Fat
    Snack: Protein/ Fat

Hello everyone! I'm back! So I've been doing the new diet for a couple months now and I must admit that I feel a whole lot better, but I have gained 4 lbs. I will first off say that my lifts have improved quite a bit and I am a whole lot stronger now than I have ever been. I have not lost a significant amount of inches on my body, but it looks better now than it did in November. I have more muscle definition and my legs feel harder. These are great results and all, but I'm still itching to lose more weight/body fat. I'm still in the over-weight category for females my height and I was wondering if the weight gain was caused by my body not being used to so many calories/protein/fat? If so, how long does it take for a body to adjust and when will I start losing again? I have the patience and all, but I was really hoping to be in the 160's at this point Please help!
    Tears get you sympathy, sweat gets you results.

Don't get stressed over results you didn't get from work you didn't do.

egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hello everyone! I'm back! So I've been doing the new diet for a couple months now and I must admit that I feel a whole lot better, but I have gained 4 lbs. I will first off say that my lifts have improved quite a bit and I am a whole lot stronger now than I have ever been. I have not lost a significant amount of inches on my body, but it looks better now than it did in November. I have more muscle definition and my legs feel harder. These are great results and all, but I'm still itching to lose more weight/body fat. I'm still in the over-weight category for females my height and I was wondering if the weight gain was caused by my body not being used to so many calories/protein/fat? If so, how long does it take for a body to adjust and when will I start losing again? I have the patience and all, but I was really hoping to be in the 160's at this point Please help!
    You look better...you feel better..you have more muscle definition...what is wrong with that?

You are stronger....

What has happened is that you have gained muscle and ( ta da...the increased definition) lost fat. Muscle weighs more than fat, so that is why the scale weight is up.

If I were you, I would not be unhappy. Forget about the scale. Forget about the government statistics ( which say I am obese. Does my avatar look obese?). And forget about the anorexic models in the magazines and on TV.

Would rather look good and feel good at xxxx pounds or lose muscle, look crappy and feel crappy at xx pounds?

Keep doing what you are doing. Regardless of the scale, you are still making progress.
    "People listen to rich folks. People they pray for poor folks"- John Thompson, long time head basketball coach at Georgetown University.

You look better...you feel better..you have more muscle definition...what is wrong with that?

You are stronger....

What has happened is that you have gained muscle and ( ta da...the increased definition) lost fat. Muscle weighs more than fat, so that is why the scale weight is up.

If I were you, I would not be unhappy. Forget about the scale. Forget about the government statistics ( which say I am obese. Does my avatar look obese?). And forget about the anorexic models in the magazines and on TV.

Would rather look good and feel good at xxxx pounds or lose muscle, look crappy and feel crappy at xx pounds?

Keep doing what you are doing. Regardless of the scale, you are still making progress.
    My biggest fear is that I would come off sounding negative I'm not negative! I'm incredibly happy with my progress! I know that muscle weighs more than fat and I know I've gained muscle. I'm incredibly happy about that I'm not trying to look like a super model, rather, I want to look like a fitness model. (unrealistic, I know, but I want to try ) You look awesome yourself! I'm just trying to hit my goal and be a lean 150 lbs. 174 lbs isn't bad I guess, I just still have more body fat than I would like to have. I'm currently at 29% and desire to be at 20%. I know scales are a terrible way to measure my progress I should probably throw it out. I just really want to be at 20%. Perhaps my body is recomping? I've been reading about it and it looks like the logical answer. I'll just keep going!
    Last edited by JenL87; 01-07-2011 at 11:29 AM.

Hello everyone! So I started my fat loss journey in Feb of this year. I had always been seriously over weight and I found this website and found myself really motivated to change. At the time I was at 244 lbs and my self esteem was at an all time low. Thanks to all the advice and motivation I find here (and a whole lot of dedication..lol) I am currently 174 lbs and 30% bf according to a measurement calculator I used online. I have decreased the calories according to my weight loss with the help of the app.
    My biggest fear is that I would come off sounding negative I'm not negative! I'm incredibly happy with my progress! I know that muscle weighs more than fat and I know I've gained muscle. I'm incredibly happy about that I'm not trying to look like a super model, rather, I want to look like a fitness model. (unrealistic, I know, but I want to try ) You look awesome yourself! I'm just trying to hit my goal and be a lean 150 lbs. 174 lbs isn't bad I guess, I just still have more body fat than I would like to have. I'm currently at 29% and desire to be at 20%. I know scales are a terrible way to measure my progress I should probably throw it out. I just really want to be at 20%. Perhaps my body is recomping? I've been reading about it and it looks like the logical answer. I'll just keep going!
    I'm wondering if the calculator is right. Your avatar doesn't look like 30%. Have you had a seven point caliper test done by a professional? That would be more accurate.

Take a look at this and see where you may fit in:

http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-p...nd-percentages

I'm also thinking you may need to start increasing the cardio and possibly adding HIIT as you may be getting stagnant there. Are you still doing the same cardio described in your first post? Are you familiar with HIIT ( High Intensity Interval Training) cardio?

I do cardio 3 days on and 2 days off currently. I've been alternating hiit, 5 min warm up and cool down, 1 min sprints, 1 min moderate x 4 with 3 mile runs. I could probably do 1 min sprint, 30 secs mod x5. Or I could up my sprints for hiit. I've been doing my own measurements as far as body fat by using a calculator online but after reading the article you posted I look much closer to the 25% body fat lady... The bulk of my fat is in my legs and glutes I really want to say that I fully appreciate your input. It is really helping me more than you know. Sometimes I just need to talk it out to figure out how I can improve things and figure out what is hindering my progress.

This is what my current workout routine looks like ( I have changed it since my original post due to being on the original schedule for an extended period of time and not seeing as good of results. I have been doing this routine for approx 4 weeks thus far. )

Day 1: Chest and Tri's
    bench press: 1x12, 2x8
    dumbbell flye: 1x12, 2x8
    incline barbell press: 1x10,2x8
    dips: 1x10, 1x8
    lying triceps ext: 1x12,2x8
    standing triceps ext: 1x12,2x8

Day 2: Back and Bi's
    assisted pull up: 1x12
    lat pulldown : 2x8
    dumbbell bent over row: 1x12,2x8
    cable close grip pulldown: 1x12, 2x8
    dead lift: 1x12,2x8
    concentration dumbbell curls: 1x12,2x8
    standing wrist curls: 2x10

Day 3: shoulders and traps:
    dumbbell shoulder press: 1x12,2x8
    high pull: 1x12,2x8
    dumbbell lat raise: 1x12,2x8
    dumbbell front raise: 1x12,2x8
    cable rear lat raise: 1x12,2x8
    arnold press: 1x10,1x8
    shrug: 1x12,2x8

Day 4: Legs and Abs
    Squats: 1x12,1x10,1x8
    Dead Lift: 1x12,2x8
    lunges: 1x12, 2x8
    standing dumbbell calf raises: 1x12,2x8
    machine leg curl: 1x15,1x12,1x8
    machine leg ext: 1x12,1x8
    hanging leg raise: 2x15
    crunches on ball: 2x25
    high woodchopper: 2x12

Day 5: rest

Day 6: cycle repeats. I normally rest between sets for 60 seconds. I typically do cardio on days 1, 2, and 3. I know I could definitely up my cardio intensity.
    Last edited by JenL87; 01-08-2011 at 11:50 AM.

I do cardio 3 days on and 2 days off currently. I've been alternating hiit, 5 min warm up and cool down, 1 min sprints, 1 min moderate x 4 with 3 mile runs. I could probably do 1 min sprint, 30 secs mod x5. Or I could up my sprints for hiit. I've been doing my own measurements as far as body fat by using a calculator online but after reading the article you posted I look much closer to the 25% body fat lady... The bulk of my fat is in my legs and glutes I really want to say that I fully appreciate your input. It is really helping me more than you know. Sometimes I just need to talk it out to figure out how I can improve things and figure out what is hindering my progress.

This is what my current workout routine looks like ( I have changed it since my original post due to being on the original schedule for an extended period of time and not seeing as good of results. I have been doing this routine for approx 4 weeks thus far. )

Day 1: Chest and Tri's
    bench press: 1x12, 2x8
    dumbbell flye: 1x12, 2x8
    incline barbell press: 1x10,2x8
    dips: 1x10, 1x8
    lying triceps ext: 1x12,2x8
    standing triceps ext: 1x12,2x8

Day 2: Back and Bi's
    assisted pull up: 1x12
    lat pulldown : 2x8
    dumbbell bent over row: 1x12,2x8
    cable close grip pulldown: 1x12, 2x8
    dead lift: 1x12,2x8
    concentration dumbbell curls: 1x12,2x8
    standing wrist curls: 2x10

Day 3: shoulders and traps:
    dumbbell shoulder press: 1x12,2x8
    high pull: 1x12,2x8
    dumbbell lat raise: 1x12,2x8
    dumbbell front raise: 1x12,2x8
    cable rear lat raise: 1x12,2x8
    arnold press: 1x10,1x8
    shrug: 1x12,2x8

Day 4: Legs and Abs
    Squats: 1x12,1x10,1x8
    Dead Lift: 1x12,2x8
    lunges: 1x12, 2x8
    standing dumbbell calf raises: 1x12,2x8
    machine leg curl: 1x15,1x12,1x8
    machine leg ext: 1x12,1x8
    hanging leg raise: 2x15
    crunches on ball: 2x25
    high woodchopper: 2x12

Day 5: rest

Day 6: cycle repeats. I normally rest between sets for 60 seconds. I typically do cardio on days 1, 2, and 3. I know I could definitely up my cardio intensity.
    I don't see much wrong with this program at all. If this is what you've been doing for the last month, I wouldn't change anything. You're seeing results everywhere except on that danged scale.

I would stick with it for another month and then lets assess in mid February where you are and whether any change or changes are needed.

Stay patient. You are not at "20%" but you will get there.

I don't see much wrong with this program at all. If this is what you've been doing for the last month, I wouldn't change anything. You're seeing results everywhere except on that danged scale.

I would stick with it for another month and then lets assess in mid February where you are and whether any change or changes are needed.

Stay patient. You are not at "20%" but you will get there.
    I'm definitely sticking with this program I have seen more strength gains and definition with this than any of the other programs I have used the entire time I've been lifting. I'm not freaking out as much after seeing your article on body fat. I have to come to terms with the fact that I'm most likely gaining muscle and that numbers on a scale mean nothing. And that fit people got to where they are by smart eating and consistent exercise. Progress may be slower now, but it is still there and I will get there eventually! Lol! I can't let weight hinder my motivation. The weight gain is most likely a good thing in this case. Again, thank you so much for the words of the wise! Talking about this really helped!