gorbyak will become famous soon enough. (+50) gorbyak will become famous soon enough. (+50) gorbyak will become famous soon enough. (+50) gorbyak will become famous soon enough. (+50) gorbyak will become famous soon enough. (+50) gorbyak will become famous soon enough. (+50) gorbyak will become famous soon enough. (+50) gorbyak will become famous soon enough. (+50) gorbyak will become famous soon enough. (+50) gorbyak will become famous soon enough. (+50) gorbyak will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Squat Alternative for bad knee

I have a bad knee and have quit doing squats to protect it. Any thoughts of good alternatives. I can do Leg presses without an issue.

matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by gorbyak View Post
    I have a bad knee and have quit doing squats to protect it. Any thoughts of good alternatives. I can do Leg presses without an issue.
    How exactly do leg presses put less stress on the knees? The basic movement that you're doing there is quite similar to the squat...except that the leg press isn't quite as good as a squat is so you might as well squat. Perhaps I'm missing some piece of information here but I just don't understand your argument.
    Strength + Speed = Power

If you never fail, you aren't truly pushing yourself to the limit. If you never push yourself to the limit, how do you know what you're truly capable of?

gorbyak will become famous soon enough. (+50) gorbyak will become famous soon enough. (+50) gorbyak will become famous soon enough. (+50) gorbyak will become famous soon enough. (+50) gorbyak will become famous soon enough. (+50) gorbyak will become famous soon enough. (+50) gorbyak will become famous soon enough. (+50) gorbyak will become famous soon enough. (+50) gorbyak will become famous soon enough. (+50) gorbyak will become famous soon enough. (+50) gorbyak will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by matjusm View Post
    How exactly do leg presses put less stress on the knees? The basic movement that you're doing there is quite similar to the squat...except that the leg press isn't quite as good as a squat is so you might as well squat. Perhaps I'm missing some piece of information here but I just don't understand your argument.
    I am unsure, maybe there isnt a motion difference I am just paranoid about movement I guess, I was aslo told to avoid them. Maybe I should just try them again now that I have been using the leg press for months.

Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000)
    vids?
    "I'm Mr. Beast, the big bad Fenris wolf, I'm The-End-of-the-World-Man, wearing the flesh of fallen angels!" - Jack Lupino

"after the 3rd set he vomited, after the 4th set, he vomited really, really hard, I did not have him perform a 5th set" - Keith Wassung

NM I am in pain now, not knee pain though. Squats hurt to start....

Thanks!

Prepare Perform Prevail SuicideGripMe's Avatar
    SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Warm up properly, go through some good mobility movements before squatting, work on form before weight.

Overall, if your knees are not that bad, squats wont kill you if you take your time and dont rush things.

If your knees really do have a hard time coping with freeweight squats, the Hack Squat machine might be better for you because you can really work on foot placement and knee travel with the movement. Thats my 2 cents. That combined with some other quad work and SLDL's/RDL's, youll have a pretty solid routine.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180003183&p=1635918623#post1635918623
    New Shanghai Log!

"225, 315, 405 whatever. Yeah these benchmark digits come to mean a lot to us, the few warriors in this arena. They are, however, just numbers. I'm guilty of that sh*t too, waiting for somebody to powder my nuts cuz I did 20 reps of whatever the **** on the bench. Big f*king deal. It is all relative." G Diesel

VIKING3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Okay, so, it seems like the original question has just been dismissed.
    I was reading this hoping to find some answers, not just dismissal.
    I have had severe pain in my left knee for 6 months. While I am seeking medical care, the diagnoses has be mixed. That's another story.
    I cannot squat. I have pain when I squat, and when I sit with my knee bent.
    Leg Press does not bring the same sort of pain, which is odd, but legit.
    I was a fan of squats. I can do leg extensions, which I have moved to a lower weight and higher reps.
    Is there anything else I can do?
    I deadlift regularly with no pain.

Thanks!
    NIHIL NOVI SVB SOLE

STEFANOSSS is on a distinguished road. (+10) STEFANOSSS is on a distinguished road. (+10) STEFANOSSS is on a distinguished road. (+10) STEFANOSSS is on a distinguished road. (+10) STEFANOSSS is on a distinguished road. (+10) STEFANOSSS is on a distinguished road. (+10) STEFANOSSS is on a distinguished road. (+10) STEFANOSSS is on a distinguished road. (+10) STEFANOSSS is on a distinguished road. (+10) STEFANOSSS is on a distinguished road. (+10) STEFANOSSS is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you can leg press without any pain just continue with it.Don't increase the load too much because the leg press can still hurt your knees if the poundage gets too heavy.

Keep doing leg extensions and curls and try front squats but don't get too low.

I have knee issues as well so I know what I'm talking about,I had to quit heavy squatting too but there are many alternatives.

Try stationary bike as well,if you set the resistance high you can still get a good pump without hurting your knees.Just find the correct angle so that your legs are almost straight when pedalling but not locking out.

It'a all in the angles and how deep you go,you can still try regular back squats but not go too deep.Experiment and see what works and what doesn't.