gwilacuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gwilacuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gwilacuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gwilacuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gwilacuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gwilacuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gwilacuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gwilacuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gwilacuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gwilacuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gwilacuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

pull ups/barbell rows

for mass building purposes, is it better to do pullups before rows or vice versa? and, should i do weighted pull ups if im getting 8-10 reps w/o weight? any advice appreciated

matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by gwilacuz View Post
    for mass building purposes, is it better to do pullups before rows or vice versa? and, should i do weighted pull ups if im getting 8-10 reps w/o weight? any advice appreciated
    I'd do the one I'm using more weight on first. That would probably be pull ups as its much more difficult to adjust the resistance there as opposed to rows.

As for the adding of weight, just add weight when you'd add weight for any other exercise you're doing. I don't see why one would treat weighted pull ups any differently from adding another plate onto the barbell for rows.
    Strength + Speed = Power

If you never fail, you aren't truly pushing yourself to the limit. If you never push yourself to the limit, how do you know what you're truly capable of?

squizzlewizzle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) squizzlewizzle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) squizzlewizzle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) squizzlewizzle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) squizzlewizzle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) squizzlewizzle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) squizzlewizzle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) squizzlewizzle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) squizzlewizzle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) squizzlewizzle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) squizzlewizzle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Pull-ups recruit more overall muscle in the body, so do those first.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by gwilacuz View Post
    for mass building purposes, is it better to do pullups before rows or vice versa?
    In the grand scheme of things, it won't matter one bit. What will make the difference is to pick one format or the other, and then work to progress the weight/reps, week-to-week, on every exercise you use.

and, should i do weighted pull ups if im getting 8-10 reps w/o weight? any advice appreciated
    Depends on what you best respond to. Try a few months of strapping on enough weight to bust you back to 6-rep sets, and see how it works for you. Just be sure to continue to use a full ROM, from dead-hang all the way up to the bar.

It's real easy to unconciously start reducing the ROM as you add weight to the exercise. Before long, if you aren't mindful, you find yourself with 90 pounds on the weight belt, and a "pullup" of 4". Don't do that.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Sweat Blood, Bleed Iron! TheStreetKing's Avatar
    TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by squizzlewizzle View Post
    Pull-ups recruit more overall muscle in the body, so do those first.
    Last time i checked you didn't use your Glutes,Hams or Quads and calves in pullups but those muscle stabilize you when your doing heavy Rows, So Rows recruit more overall muscle in the body then pullups!
    My Gym is my Church, My Sweat is my Prayers, My Strength is my Salvation, I Am Animal.

Loyalty above all else, Except Honor!

Calborn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Calborn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Calborn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Calborn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Calborn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Calborn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Calborn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Calborn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Calborn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Calborn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Calborn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Do whatever exercise you can lift more weight with. If you can get more weight up with weighted pull-ups than barbell rows, or vice versa, then go for it.
    It's usually best to have the more intense exercises at the forefront of your routine, so that your body is already worn down. By the time you get to lighter exercises, you'd be pushing your body to its limits.
    Mountains bow down and the seas will roar at the sound of Your name.

Jesus Christ saved my life. And that's nothing to be ashamed of, but it's everything to be proud and thankful of.

squizzlewizzle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) squizzlewizzle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) squizzlewizzle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) squizzlewizzle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) squizzlewizzle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) squizzlewizzle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) squizzlewizzle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) squizzlewizzle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) squizzlewizzle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) squizzlewizzle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) squizzlewizzle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TheStreetKing View Post
    Last time i checked you didn't use your Glutes,Hams or Quads and calves in pullups but those muscle stabilize you when your doing heavy Rows, So Rows recruit more overall muscle in the body then pullups!
    It's not the muscle groups that matters per se, but the amount of fibers that contract. In a pull-up, every muscle in your body is in a partial contraction and your back muscles take up the brunt of the movement. Pull-ups have a longer ROM.

Rippetoe prefers pull-ups to rows. He includes pull-ups in some of his programs, but as for rows:

My opinion about barbell rows is as follows: **** barbell rows. Really. **** them.

Frankk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Frankk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Frankk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Frankk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Frankk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Frankk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Frankk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Frankk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Frankk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Frankk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Frankk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I prefer to do alternate them from one back workout to the next. In other words, if today's back workout will emphasize thickness, I start with the rows. On the next back workout, I emphasize width and so therefore will start with pull ups.[/QUOTE]