HITman91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HITman91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HITman91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HITman91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HITman91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Weighted Dips: How To?

Hey guys,

What's the best way to do weighted dips? What kind of belt should I use, what do I tie to the belt (just a normal rope or what?), etc.

Thanks in advance.
    My Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=137093183&p=731668963#post731668963

matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Just put a dumbbell between your legs, you don't really need a belt for this.
    Strength + Speed = Power

If you never fail, you aren't truly pushing yourself to the limit. If you never push yourself to the limit, how do you know what you're truly capable of?

Prepare Perform Prevail SuicideGripMe's Avatar
    SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by matjusm View Post
    Just put a dumbbell between your legs, you don't really need a belt for this.
    Depends on the weight used. Once you start doing dips with 50 lbs +, holding a DB between your legs doesent seem to work out so hot.

OP, you can either buy a dip/pull up belt designed for those excercises or a chain accessory that fits on normal belts. Up to you.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180003183&p=1635918623#post1635918623
    New Shanghai Log!

"225, 315, 405 whatever. Yeah these benchmark digits come to mean a lot to us, the few warriors in this arena. They are, however, just numbers. I'm guilty of that sh*t too, waiting for somebody to powder my nuts cuz I did 20 reps of whatever the **** on the bench. Big f*king deal. It is all relative." G Diesel

creationd will become famous soon enough. (+50) creationd will become famous soon enough. (+50) creationd will become famous soon enough. (+50) creationd will become famous soon enough. (+50) creationd will become famous soon enough. (+50) creationd will become famous soon enough. (+50) creationd will become famous soon enough. (+50) creationd will become famous soon enough. (+50) creationd will become famous soon enough. (+50) creationd will become famous soon enough. (+50) creationd will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I use something similar to
    This, works great.

matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by SuicideGripMe View Post
    Depends on the weight used. Once you start doing dips with 50 lbs +, holding a DB between your legs doesent seem to work out so hot.

OP, you can either buy a dip/pull up belt designed for those excercises or a chain accessory that fits on normal belts. Up to you.
    If you can't hold a 50lb dumbbell between your legs but you can do dips with that much added weight, then I think you've got some serious muscle imbalances.

But I agree that once you start going really heavy (say for example your gym runs out of dumbbells heavy enough), then you might want to consider investing in a belt.
    Strength + Speed = Power

If you never fail, you aren't truly pushing yourself to the limit. If you never push yourself to the limit, how do you know what you're truly capable of?

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I just use a piece of chain with clips on the ends. Wrap it around your waist and loop the chain through the hole in the plate and hook the fasteners together. It's about 3.00 to make.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

__Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Dip belts are the way to go.
    How much grass could an ass to grass squater squat if an ass to grass squater could squat grass?

Abezobchuk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Abezobchuk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Abezobchuk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Abezobchuk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Abezobchuk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Abezobchuk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Abezobchuk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Abezobchuk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Abezobchuk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Abezobchuk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Abezobchuk is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Dipbelt! Secondly, there are two different focuses when doing dips, chest or triceps. For chest you want to lean as far forward as possible, for triceps you want to be as vertical/straight up as possible.
    5'11
    ~210lbs

Deadlift: 510lbs
    Squat: 385lbs (ATG)
    Bench: 285lbs

08/13/2011 OCB Presidential Cup

boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by creationd View Post
    I use something similar to
    This, works great.
    this.

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    I just use a piece of chain with clips on the ends. Wrap it around your waist and loop the chain through the hole in the plate and hook the fasteners together. It's about 3.00 to make.
    or this. but this i'd imagine would start digging into your skin as the weight increases??

HITman91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HITman91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HITman91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HITman91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HITman91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    That sounds cool. Where do I get the materials?
    My Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=137093183&p=731668963#post731668963

Originally Posted by Abezobchuk View Post
    Dipbelt! Secondly, there are two different focuses when doing dips, chest or triceps. For chest you want to lean as far forward as possible, for triceps you want to be as vertical/straight up as possible.
    I might get some flames for saying this from some bodybuilding people but here it is anyway:

I don't really get this argument, at least not fully. I agree with the part that says that leaning forward is more chest dominant as such a motion requires more use of the chest than if one were to remain upright. However what makes no sense to me is how this would make any difference to the triceps. They still go through the exact same range of motion and have to do the same amount of work regardless of how you're leaning (unless you are of course increasing or decreasing your ROM depending on your torso angle). Thinking about muscle functions makes me think that in an upright position your lats/back muscles are involved a bit more to move your upper arm while as in a leaning forward position this is done more by the chest but either way the triceps still does the same thing.
    Strength + Speed = Power

robbondo will become famous soon enough. (+50) robbondo will become famous soon enough. (+50) robbondo will become famous soon enough. (+50) robbondo will become famous soon enough. (+50) robbondo will become famous soon enough. (+50) robbondo will become famous soon enough. (+50) robbondo will become famous soon enough. (+50) robbondo will become famous soon enough. (+50) robbondo will become famous soon enough. (+50) robbondo will become famous soon enough. (+50) robbondo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by matjusm View Post

what makes no sense to me is how this would make any difference to the triceps. They still go through the exact same range of motion and have to do the same amount of work regardless of how you're leaning
    Well if you're lifting the same weight, one way using "only" your triceps and the other using your chest and your triceps how could they both possibly put the same amount of force on the triceps?

Say it takes 100N to lift your body, then theoretically in the first scenario 100N would be supplied by tricep muscles, in the second maybe 70N by the chest and 30 by the tris.

Also I agree with the chain accessory if you're a poor student like myself, if you have a real job, dip belt's probably faster and more comfortable.

Originally Posted by robbondo View Post
    Well if you're lifting the same weight, one way using "only" your triceps and the other using your chest and your triceps how could they both possibly put the same amount of force on the triceps?

Say it takes 100N to lift your body, then theoretically in the first scenario 100N would be supplied by tricep muscles, in the second maybe 70N by the chest and 30 by the tris.

Also I agree with the chain accessory if you're a poor student like myself, if you have a real job, dip belts probably faster and more comfortable.
    But thats the entire point: you are never only using your triceps. Whether leaning forward or remaining upright, your triceps work in combination with your other upper body muscles to execute the lift. Your triceps only straighten your forearm from the elbow downwards but it is your chest and back that press out your upper arm.
    Strength + Speed = Power

Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000)
    sorry for the semi-hijack, but i feel this is a simple Q&A that doesnt deserve its own thread. LSS, i started doing dips again a couple weeks ago. both times i did them in my routine, my lats got sore(among tri's). by back was/is in good shape, but i guess only in the sense of pulling. is it normal for dips to hit the lats a little?

shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000)
    get a belt..i can't go anything over 45 lbs with holding a db between my legs and even that is a pain..and 45 lbs to dips is basically a warmup so to really add the bigger weights you need a belt imo

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by boathead View Post
    this.

or this. but this i'd imagine would start digging into your skin as the weight increases??
    Don't be a pussy
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB