Mikimbin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need some guidance! (MY STORY)

Okay, so for those of you who will listen, here it goes...I have been one of those people who train off and on due to a lack of motivation and other circumstances. BUT! I finally feel like this time I'm never going to do that ever again. Reason behind this is mainly because I have educated myself more on weightlifting, became more realistic and patient. Before I would expect huge gains with half assed effort, and completely neglected nutrition. Since I have virtually changed my entire diet I have come to the (what should of been obvious) conclusion that this is the most important part of accomplishing my goals. More energy, vitality, and performance in the gym.

Unfortunately, circumstance came into play. I have a fractured bone in my wrist from over a year ago and have not been able to get it fixed (no medical insurance). This demotivated me for awhile and I stopped going to the gym. As I learned more about weightlifting I realized that most of the pain in my wrist came from holding barbells wrong and once I corrected this, I was able to lift with little to no pain. It might hurt just a bit, but it does not hold me back from progressing whatsoever. I have been back in the gym now for about 3 weeks and I am lifting heavier than I ever have before (even before the injury).

I am 5'11'' and weigh 166 lbs and have been following SS exclusively. Here is my routine:

Mon:
    Squat 215 3x5
    Bench 155 3x5
    Dips: 3x7
    Close grip pull ups: 2x5

Wed:
    Squat: 215 3x5
    Press: 105 3x5
    Close grip: 2x5

Fri:
    Squat: 215 3x5
    Bench 155 3x5
    Deadlift 250 1x5
    Close grip: 2x5

Reason why there arent any Power Cleans is because of my wrist. I REALLY wish I can do them because they're good for explosive power (I play sports), but I can't seem to get it right without my wrist hurting. My question is: Should I add anything onto my routine because sometimes I dont feel like I'm getting enough work done in the time I'm in the gym; or should I just focus on progressing these current exercises? I'm at the point now where I still feel underwhelmed after the main compound lifts. Any and all comments are appreciate; thanks if you made it this far

Damn..A whole day, 32 views and no reply? C'mon people!

r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you're squatting the same weight 3x in a week and benching the same weight 2x in a week, it's not exactly SS. You're supposed to be increasing the weight every single workout, even if it's only by a small amount. That's the essence of the program.

Also, pullups and dips are not done after every workout in SS.

If you're feeling you need more of a challenge, try following the actual SS progression scheme. You won't feel that way for very long.

Originally Posted by r_graz View Post
    If you're squatting the same weight 3x in a week and benching the same weight 2x in a week, it's not exactly SS. You're supposed to be increasing the weight every single workout, even if it's only by a small amount.

Also, pullups and dips are not done after every workout in SS.
    Oh yeah of course. My bad, I should of noted that that is just my current weight. I generally add on 5-10 lbs every workout. I started way below that. About the pullups and dips...What would you recommend as far as quantity, and should I add something else?

r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Mikimbin View Post
    Oh yeah of course. My bad, I should of noted that that is just my current weight. I generally add on 5-10 lbs every workout. I started way below that. About the pullups and dips...What would you recommend as far as quantity, and should I add something else?
    If you're going to do the pullups and dips, at least alternate them by workout. If you can't do the powercleans but want an explosive lift, try power snatches (if your wrist allows it), or clean pulls or high pulls. Those are all explosive lifts.

But re. the wrist, I wouldn't give up too quickly on the cleans. If you can bench, press, and dip with that wrist, my guess is a properly racked powerclean is possible too. In fact in most cases, if racking the bar is hurting the wrist, the form is off. It shouldn't put on outrageous amount of stress on the wrist joint, assuming you work to develop some basic flexibility in your elbows, triceps and shoulders.

Originally Posted by r_graz View Post
    If you're going to do the pullups and dips, at least alternate them by workout. If you can't do the powercleans but want an explosive lift, try power snatches (if your wrist allows it), or clean pulls or high pulls. Those are all explosive lifts.

But re. the wrist, I wouldn't give up too quickly on the cleans. If you can bench, press, and dip with that wrist, my guess is a properly racked powerclean is possible too. In fact in most cases, if racking the bar is hurting the wrist, the form is off. It shouldn't put on outrageous amount of stress on the wrist joint, assuming you work to develop some basic flexibility in your elbows, triceps and shoulders.
    I think that I have trouble with cleans the most because it's the hardest to do mechanically. I'm gonna give it one more shot and take it from there. I might record it and upload it to see if you guys can tell me if I'm doing anything wrong. Thanks for the help man!

Originally Posted by Mikimbin View Post
    I think that I have trouble with cleans the most because it's the hardest to do mechanically. I'm gonna give it one more shot and take it from there. I might record it and upload it to see if you guys can tell me if I'm doing anything wrong. Thanks for the help man!
    A minute of video is worth a thousand words, especially when it comes to the "fast" lifts. Most gross errors can be diagnosed and correctly pretty easily.