adeck85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adeck85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adeck85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

New-Trying to Lose Fat

Hey guys, could use some advice.
    I am 6'3" 320 lb.
    I am a former football player--offensive lineman, looking to lose fat because I don't play football anymore.

I am probably the most 'in-shape' 300+ pounder you will ever meet due to football/conditioning/weight lifting.

But I would like to lean out to about 250.

The biggest change I am making is in my diet. I had to get big, and stay big to compete in football. This is a change I have made in the last two weeks, as far as eating more frequently, and eating less.

What would you suggest as far as:

How many days to do cardio.

How LONG should I do cardio ( I can easily go for an hour )

I have been lifting, but should I focus more on high reps?

AND how many days should I be lifting.

Let me know any other advice you may have
    THANKS!

ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    EVERYTHING you need to know right there in a sticky:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=113693871
    A diet isn't punishment. A diet is a way to reward your body with the wholesome, nutritious food that it needs. Your body composition is a direct reflection of what you put in your mouth.

adeck85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adeck85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adeck85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thanks for that, so is three days enough of working out?
    Or should I try three days weights/3 days cardio

Or 3 days weights, and every day cardio?

ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    What is so complicated about this?

- Workout 3 times a week with weights.
    - Eat 1g protein / lb lean body mass.
    - Reduce calories to lose 1-2 lbs / week.

Are you eating 1g protein/lb of lean body mass?
    How many calories are you eating?

What are you eating every day? YOUR WEIGHT IS CONTROLLED BY WHAT YOU PUT IN YOUR MOUTH!
    A diet isn't punishment. A diet is a way to reward your body with the wholesome, nutritious food that it needs. Your body composition is a direct reflection of what you put in your mouth.

Originally Posted by ejthomp View Post
    What is so complicated about this?

- Workout 3 times a week with weights.
    - Eat 1g protein / lb lean body mass.
    - Reduce calories to lose 1-2 lbs / week.

Are you eating 1g protein/lb of lean body mass?
    How many calories are you eating?

WHAT ARE YOU EATING? YOUR WEIGHT IS CONTROLLED BY WHAT YOU PUT IN YOUR MOUTH!
    so no cardio?

Originally Posted by adeck85 View Post
    so no cardio?
    and also, what have i been eating during college...everything to keep my weight up as a lineman.
    that's what i have changed these last two weeks and have already seen good results.
    As for workout.
    I am used to following 4 days of lifting and
    4-5 days of cardio.
    Didn't know if I needed to adjust my frequency, but I know my biggest results will come in the diet change

Thanks

so no cardio?

That sticky really DOES address this...

1.3 Unessential Factors

Since many questions revolve around further details of cutting diets, here is a list of factors that I believe to be of insignificant effect for body composition:

- Cardio and fat burners,
    - Meal timing and meal frequency,

YOUR WEIGHT IS CONTROLLED BY WHAT YOU PUT IN YOUR MOUTH.... WHAT ARE YOU PUTTING IN YOUR MOUTH EVERYDAY?

(I'm purposely being rude here...trying to drive home this point...your success or failure hinges on you understanding this)

Cardio is good for your heart and lungs. And good for running up and down a football field....

It's impact on weight loss is questionable.. (I just finished running a marathon and GAINED six pounds while running 30-40 miles per week and you are 320 pounds!!!! I'm sure you did plenty of cardio in football and STILL GAINED WEIGHT).

Frankly, in regards to weight loss, it is a waste of time.

i have changed these last two weeks and have already seen good results.
    At 320 pounds, losing weight is easy.... don't eat so damn much.

Once the easy weight comes off though, you're going to need a plan.

Now's the time to make it.

At 320 pounds, losing weight is easy.... don't eat so damn much.

Once the easy weight comes off though, you're going to need a plan.

Now's the time to make it.
    I appreciate the input!

I appreciate the input!
    At your current size you should probably target a diet of about 3,000 calories per day that includes about 300 grams of protein.

Then when the easy weight loss is over...

Shrink that diet down to about 2500 calories with 250 grams of protein.

That should take you all the way down to your goal of 250.

So....What are you eating now? How many calories? How many grams of protein?

At your current size you should probably target a diet of about 3,000 calories per day that includes about 300 grams of protein.

Then when the easy weight loss is over...

Shrink that diet down to about 2500 calories with 250 grams of protein.

That should take you all the way down to your goal of 250.

So....What are you eating now? How many calories? How many grams of protein?
    Before, I had no idea
    But these last two weeks, when I have been trying, and have noticed results, I would say 2500, BUT not near enough protein...I've only been doing about 200grams protein.

So obviously, need to up the calories I get from protein

Because of your football training I'm sure you've got an incredible base.

Just get your diet dialed in, keep weight training, and I'm sure you will be amazed to see what you look like when those layers of fat disappear.

TAKE PICTURES!!!!

And don't be surprised if you decide you want to go lower than 250......

Just get your diet dialed in, keep weight training, and I'm sure you will be amazed to see what you look like when those layers of fat disappear.

TAKE PICTURES!!!!

Yeah man
    Most of my fat is around my belly, and I have 19 inch arms from lifting, so I'm def. looking forward to seeing more definition

Thanks for the encouragement.

I will try to give a monthly update

TAKE PICTURES!!!!

oh one more question i had...what about late night eating for a fatty.
    A small snack after dinner about 9PM? If its a protein shake or cottage cheese.

Most body builders say yes, but my doctor friend says no.

What do you think?

oh one more question i had...what about late night eating for a fatty.
    A small snack after dinner about 9PM? If its a protein shake or cottage cheese.

Most body builders say yes, but my doctor friend says no.

What do you think?
    LOL... REALLY.... REALLY.... THAT STICKY DOES HAVE ALL THE INFORMATION YOU COULD EVER NEED!!!

1.3 Unessential Factors

Since many questions revolve around further details of cutting diets, here is a list of factors that I believe to be of insignificant effect for body composition:

- Cardio and fat burners,
    - Meal timing and meal frequency,

It doesn't matter what time you eat... Just make it part of your daily calorie/macro plan.. Many people enjoy a protein shake or cottage cheese in the evening.

You used to have a whole damn pizza, right? Certainly your doctor would agree that some cottage cheese is better than a pizza!

x31234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) x31234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) x31234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) x31234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) x31234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) x31234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) x31234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) x31234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) x31234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) x31234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) x31234 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    yes it doesn't matter what time you eat as long as you stay in you;re calorie deficit.

x31234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) x31234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) x31234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) x31234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) x31234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) x31234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) x31234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) x31234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) x31234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) x31234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) x31234 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    btw start tracking your calories, RELIGOUSLY(sp)

ok another question:
    what's the consensus on diet coke.
    if i drink 1-2 a day. may keep me sane, from wanting to eat ice cream (a weakness of mine)

been searching the boards, and some say it is ok in moderation, and some say don't touch it at all

ok another question:
    what's the consensus on diet coke.
    if i drink 1-2 a day. may keep me sane, from wanting to eat ice cream (a weakness of mine)

been searching the boards, and some say it is ok in moderation, and some say don't touch it at all
    The consensus is that it is evil, but zero calories so it won't keep you from losing weight.

If that is what it takes to keep you away from ice cream, I guess we'll allow it for now.

I don't like sweetened drinks because they ruin your sense of taste. When you drink and eat that super sweet crap, you learn to think that crap is actually good. Then you lose an appreciation for the naturally sweet things that are really tasty and good for you....apples, cherries, peaches, grapefruit, etc..etc...

Sweetened drinks are evil. Eventually it would be great if you can get back to water, green tea, and coffee.

The consensus is that it is evil, but zero calories so it won't keep you from losing weight.

If that is what it takes to keep you away from ice cream, I guess we'll allow it for now.

I don't like sweetened drinks because they ruin your sense of taste. When you drink and eat that super sweet crap, you learn to think that crap is actually good. Then you lose an appreciation for the naturally sweet things that are really tasty and good for you....apples, cherries, peaches, grapefruit, etc..etc...

Sweetened drinks are evil. Eventually it would be great if you can get back to water, green tea, and coffee.
    cool
    the good news is that I love black coffee, so maybe i can start substituting green tea for sodas...that's my goal for tomorrow. I had 2 cans of diet pop today

Gotsouthern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gotsouthern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gotsouthern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gotsouthern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gotsouthern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gotsouthern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gotsouthern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gotsouthern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gotsouthern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gotsouthern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gotsouthern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You and I were in similar boats. I'm a bit shorter and a bit lighter than you, but I felt like I was reading my own story from a few years back. Lots of training, good muscle mass...waayyy too much fat covering it up.

Ej gave you good advice, and that sticky is the gospel truth. Losing sweetened drinks was the A#1 thing for me to start dropping weight. Ditch them as quick as you can work yourself up to it.

Registered User tomatomavenaqui's Avatar
    tomatomavenaqui has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    damn i need to study that sticky