Page 151 of 329 FirstFirst ... 51 101 141 149 150 151 152 153 161 201 251 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,530 of 9867
    IGF1-Akt-mTor1/2 Brah braggable's Avatar
    braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Great session Bill! You inspired me to try those Seated Smith presses and Side/Lat Cable raises on my own shoulder day today. Great success! Thanks for always inspiring us.

BTW, great Avi... Dem gunz!
    The above statement/post does not represent the opinions of anyone in real life. This is the internet. Not real life. Anyone who cannot grasp the difference between the two lacks the basic intelligence necessary for survival and should not be allowed to form opinions.

taylor9569 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) taylor9569 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) taylor9569 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) taylor9569 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) taylor9569 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) taylor9569 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) taylor9569 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) taylor9569 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) taylor9569 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) taylor9569 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) taylor9569 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Lots of solid work as usual Bill.

I have a question, if you don't mind.

I'm thinking of adding barbell lunges to my leg day and dropping leg extensions. What are your thoughts on this?

My current leg day is;

Squats
    Leg press
    Extensions
    Standing and seated calf raises
    Laying leg curls
    Seated leg curls (drop sets)

I do laying and seated leg curl as I cant do SLDL's because of my past back problems.

If you can see any other improvements I could make I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks Bill
    No Bull$hit or E-Stats

http://www.iron-sanctuary.com/forums/index.php

Rep 9 Crew

Journal; http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=124422421

***Ov35 Danger Face Warrior***

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by im2manly View Post
    Sweet AVI Bill. You seem to really pounding the calves lately, I approve! Strong pressing, but I disapprove of the chicken to potato ratio lol.
    Hey, thanks, Big Man. I've been on a crusade for months now to improve my weaksauce calves. A few months after having bumped the frequency on them up to 3 times a week, they have started to respond in the mirror. I've still got a long way to go to get them to look like something, but at least I know that they will respond if I work them enough.

Lulz @the meal comment; I've heard the same thing from others! I weigh all the protein portions (before cooking), and that particular piece was very thick, even though it doesn't show in the pic. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Originally Posted by storm1507 View Post
    Your meals always "look smaller".
    LOL! So I've been told!

How are you liking the giant set for delts? I'm doing a drop set now and I can really notice the results of the higher rep stuff.
    After the first one, they're downright painful. By the time I get to the last one @35, I'm hardly able to move the 'bells at all; at the very end of that last set, when I try to get a couple of reps of Presses, it's laughable.

What I'm doing with them is to simply get in some high-rep, set-extended work as a counterpoint to the much heavier, low-rep stuff I'm going to shift over to in a month or so.

I've done delt Drop Sets before too; they're equally effective. JMO, but I think for natties, delts are probably more receptive to extended sets than most other body parts.

Nice arm pic.
    Thanks, Will. Pairing up arms with a totally unrelated body part (calves) is the best thing to happen to them in a long time. I've run routines in the past that had an 'arm' day, but considering all the work they already get on 'push' and 'pull' days, it's hard to justify giving them their own entire day.

Originally Posted by braggable View Post
    Great session Bill! You inspired me to try those Seated Smith presses and Side/Lat Cable raises on my own shoulder day today. Great success! Thanks for always inspiring us.
    Thanks Tom, and good deal on your trying some different things. It's easy to lock into what we're used to always doing (I'm guilty of this myself if I don't use my head), and then giving away some possible muscle/strength gain for being stubborn.

There's a fine line between knowing when to stick to a routine and when to make changes. And the only way through this issue is by RL experience. IMO, once someone has knowledge of the workings of nutrition, that end of things can be nailed down relatively easily. Not so with actual gym work/exercise selection/sets-reps/volume/frequency. Everyone's body mechanics are going to be just a little different; bone lengths, origins/insertions, joint makeups, leverages, muscle-fiber type, all play a part in what will work for me and what will work for you. And that's just the physical side of training; the mental aspects are as big as all outdoors.

BTW, great Avi... Dem gunz!
    Thanks! In the last 2 years, since I moved them to a day with calves, they've improved significantly, IMO.

Originally Posted by taylor9569 View Post
    Lots of solid work as usual Bill.
    Thanks, Lee; I had a good day, and I plan on carrying the momentum right into tomorrow's session. I'm really looking forward to some heavy Chinups.

I have a question, if you don't mind.

I'm thinking of adding barbell lunges to my leg day and dropping leg extensions. What are your thoughts on this?
    I think it's an excellent plan. Once I came to realize ( a few years ago) exactly how Leg Extensions work in relation to the knees, I quit using them. Lunges are a much more worthwhile exercise; all of the lower body's musculature (and a good bit of upper as well) is called on, and in a way not really possible with other exercises.

This vid shows how I've always done them, with one exception. I don't switch legs at each rep, but rather, do all my reps with one leg, recover my balance for a few seconds, and then complete the set by repping the remaining leg.

I suggest you start with an empty bar, and work to perform sets of 6-8 reps with perfect form. These will take some getting used-to, so proceed gradually as far as adding weight. Be prepared for major-league glute/ham DOMS for the first few workouts.

My current leg day is;

Squats
    Leg press
    Extensions
    Standing and seated calf raises
    Laying leg curls
    Seated leg curls (drop sets)

I do laying and seated leg curl as I cant do SLDL's because of my past back problems.

If you can see any other improvements I could make I would greatly appreciate it.
    Considering your stated back issue, if you sub-in Lunges for Extensions, you'll have an ideal leg routine.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Hiding from ForumNature 400Lb Gorilla's Avatar
    400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz
    excellent chest and shoulder workout, Bill. the gunz are looking hyyyoooooggggeeee in the avi!!!

i agree the potato looked like it ate half the chicken
    You would be surprised just how much time I have to waste.

wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I missed the drastic chicken to potato ratio post and had to cruise back to see what I missed. I can't imagine how hard of a time the safeties might have holding those guns back, if your ratios were reversed.
    lulz

Keep it up, looking strong!

Smolovian apprentice mharrislove's Avatar
    mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nice job with the pressin', Bill. I hope that the change up in position gets things going in the right direction over the next few weeks.
    "First train the mind, then the body."

Made from all-natural products since 1968...no gear, no HRT, no prohormones.

taylor9569 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) taylor9569 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) taylor9569 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) taylor9569 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) taylor9569 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) taylor9569 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) taylor9569 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) taylor9569 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) taylor9569 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) taylor9569 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) taylor9569 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thanks for the advice and vid Bill.

It's my leg day today, so I'm going to give the lunges a shot
    No Bull$hit or E-Stats

http://www.iron-sanctuary.com/forums/index.php

Rep 9 Crew

Journal; http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=124422421

***Ov35 Danger Face Warrior***

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by 400Lb Gorilla View Post
    excellent chest and shoulder workout, Bill. the gunz are looking hyyyoooooggggeeee in the avi!!!
    Hey, thanks, G. I had a good session, but at the same time realize I need to switch up some stuff for chest.

Thanks for the avi comment. Moving my arm training to a day with a totally unrelated body part (calves) a couple of years ago is the best thing to happen to them. For me at least, it's been the equivalent of having an "arm" day without having to have a day just for arms.

i agree the potato looked like it ate half the chicken
    ROFL! Maybe I need to start posting pics of the food on the scale along with the meal pics!

Originally Posted by wedjim View Post
    I missed the drastic chicken to potato ratio post and had to cruise back to see what I missed. I can't imagine how hard of a time the safeties might have holding those guns back, if your ratios were reversed.
    lulz

Keep it up, looking strong!
    LOL! Thanks, WJ. A lot of those meal pics appear that way--with the protein component being "small."

Originally Posted by mharrislove View Post
    Nice job with the pressin', Bill. I hope that the change up in position gets things going in the right direction over the next few weeks.
    Hey thanks, MH. Overall, I had a good day.

I've known for a couple of weeks that I needed a change in chest work. It's just that I'm somewhat limited in what I can do. At the least, I'll move Inclines to first, and move Flyes to the Incline bench, and see where that takes me. Any change at this point will be the right move.

Originally Posted by taylor9569 View Post
    Thanks for the advice and vid Bill.

It's my leg day today, so I'm going to give the lunges a shot
    You're welcome. Just take your time learning the move, and you'll be fine.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Calf Press on Leg Press Machine PWO
    400x20 W/U
    580x41
    580x34
    580x33

Hit calves thoroughly too; they were smoking at the end of the last set.
    I would say that is pretty thorough! I started the hi-rep stuff with my three day a week approach. Hopefully this will start getting me somewhere.

Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Calf Press on Leg Press Machine PWO
    400x20 W/U
    580x41
    580x34
    580x33
    Bill, if we define volume as the number of reps * weight and sum this for the four sets (p.s. it's funny that the number 400 and the word "W/U" could be used in the same breath ), that calculates to a little more weight than a Sherman tank! If your calves are fried, tell them that's why.

Originally Posted by Bo_Flecks View Post
    I would say that is pretty thorough!
    Lulz! Thanks, Steve. My problem is that my calves are a heck of a lot stronger than they are big. I take those sets as far as I can go, with the last rep or two only moving a couple of inches.

I started the hi-rep stuff with my three day a week approach. Hopefully this will start getting me somewhere.
    Good deal; high frequency has made the difference for me, and I'll bet that it will do the same for you.

If we continue to progress the weight/reps on as consistent basis as possible, even the most stubborn of body parts will be forced to eventually respond. But even after bumping up to 3 workouts a week, it was still months before I saw a difference in the mirror. Gotta just keep pounding away.

Originally Posted by Payton1221 View Post
    Bill, if we define volume as the number of reps * weight and sum this for the four sets (p.s. it's funny that the number 400 and the word "W/U" could be used in the same breath ), that calculates to a little more weight than a Sherman tank! If your calves are fried, tell them that's why.
    LOL! That's a novel way to look at bodybuilding training, for sure!

Back when I ran Starr 5x5 each Winter (to get stronger in the basics so I could lift more weight in the higher reps ranges for growth come the following Spring), I'd keep track of my weekly "tonnage," as Starr described it, and directed to do it. For strength training, where you're always basing your loads on a % of rep-max, it's a great way to track your progress. If your weekly workload continued to climb, your strength level had to be going up with it.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Ironwill2008 V2.0

Closed out the training week with a good session. Moved a few numbers, got a great pump in the process, always a plus. Today's training was;

Back "B"

V-Grip Seated Row PWO (plate weight only)
    90x15 W/U
    140x8 W/U
    180x8
    180x8
    180x8

Chinup
    bw +45x7
    bw +45x6
    bw +45x6

1-Arm Cable Row PWO
    90x10
    90x10
    90x10

Good Morning
    135x6
    135x6
    135x6

Calf Press on Leg Press Machine SRC PWO
    450x100...in 3 blocks of reps, R/P

Completed this session in right at an hour. I was determined to keep my reps on Seated Rows as perfect as possible, staying bolt-upright, with no swaying to and fro, and pulling my elbows/shoulder blades back with each rep as far as they would possibly go. I was rewarded with a monster lat pump, and no pump at all in my arms. Even with the emphasis on strict form, I was still able to add a few reps.

Picked up a rep on each of the last 2 sets of Chins. I expected I'd be a bit farther along with these by now, but they've proven to be a tough customer. I have a long way to go to get back to a triple with 2 plates.

My lat pump only increased with the 1-Arm Cable Rows, also done with strict form. Not really trying to add weight or reps here but rather just use them as a tool to furthur work my lats. The stats for this lift are immaterial.

On my first set of Good Mornings, I realized that my hams were as tight as banjo strings. They didn't loosen up one iota during that first set, so I kept the weight at 1 plate for all 3 sets. I'll work to advance them next time around.

Hit my Steve Reeves Challenge 100 repper with only 2 Rest/Pauses today. I had to take a couple of minutes to stretch them out afterwards; I could feel them trying to cramp up.

That's it for this week. I'll be out of town tomorrow, and then back home and in the gym on Sunday afternoon for calves, arms and abs.

Post-Workout meal was a relatively light egg salad, with 3 hard-boiled eggs, grape tomatoes, greens, bell pepper, Kalamata olives, and carrots. On the side was some crusty dark Rye bread and a glass of milk.

No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Teacher and Bodybuilder BergMuscle's Avatar
    BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Picture perfect bicep in the new avi! Great workout as well.

Originally Posted by BergMuscle View Post
    Picture perfect bicep in the new avi! Great workout as well.
    Thanks Dan; I appreciate the comment.

While I can't do anything about my short biceps insertions (and the resulting gap between the bottom of the biceps and the crook of the elbow), I (and all of us) can work to build the biceps as high as possible, and along with thickening the forearms, create the illusion of a more-complete biceps.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Nice bicep avi, Bill. Looks like you are doing good work as always.

Nice job on the calf challenge. I worked calves yesterday and I actually have a bit of soreness in them today.

Have a good weekend, Bill.
    Have you done something today to take yourself to the next level?

Always thinking of making $$ crew

Help Others. Be Humble. Life is Great.

Smolovian apprentice mharrislove's Avatar
    mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Killer chins and calf work, my friend!

I had forgotten about weighed chins/pullups (I typically do pull ups; I havn't done a chin up since the fitness tests in PE class in middle school, lol !); I don't think that I've strapped on the dip belt since my shoulder issue flared up earlier this year. I'll have to remember to give those a spin in the near future. It's a great, basic movement that usually always pays off with consistent effort.
    "First train the mind, then the body."

Made from all-natural products since 1968...no gear, no HRT, no prohormones.

Originally Posted by demike View Post
    Nice bicep avi, Bill. Looks like you are doing good work as always.

Nice job on the calf challenge. I worked calves yesterday and I actually have a bit of soreness in them today.

Have a good weekend, Bill.
    Hey, Mike, Hello! Good to see you in here, bud! Thanks for the biceps comment; it's only been within the last year or so that I've felt my arms were beginning to look decent. But that's been my own doing really, since I've never actually enjoyed arm training; I always would rather work legs or back as favorites.

I've been working calves 3 times a week for several months now, and the constant pounding is beginning to pay off.

Good deal on your hitting calves hard. They're an east bodypart to either ignore, or to just hit with a few after-thought exercises at the end of a "more-important-bodypart" workout!

BTW, if you remember the short discussion we had in your journal about those old chairs I was working on at the time, I completed the work a few months ago. Here's a link to a post in here with a few pics, if you're interested. IMO, they turned out really well, and have held up well to lots of use since being put back into service.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post725778481

Have a good weekend yourself.

Originally Posted by mharrislove View Post
    Killer chins and calf work, my friend!
    Thanks, MH. I had a good, solid session.

I had forgotten about weighed chins/pullups (I typically do pull ups; I havn't done a chin up since the fitness tests in PE class in middle school, lol !); I don't think that I've strapped on the dip belt since my shoulder issue flared up earlier this year. I'll have to remember to give those a spin in the near future. It's a great, basic movement that usually always pays off with consistent effort.
    IMO, they're the Cadillac of vertical pulls. Adding enough weight to keep you in your optimum rep range makes them perfect.

At one time, I was using Pullups for back work, until I read an article many years ago in one of the muscle mags (IIRC, written by Ron Harris) stating that chins would work the lats a little bit better because with the arms stretched straight up (as with Chins), rather than out at an angle (as with Pullups), the lats get a bigger initial stretch, and thus, the possibility of a more complete contraction. And for me at least, that's proven to be true.

Another telltale sign of an effective exercise for me is the appearance of an almost instant lat pump within the first few warmup reps of Chins at bodyweight, something that just doesn't happen for me with pullups.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Ironwill2008 V2.0

Got the training week off on the right foot with a good session. Target muscles were thoroughly worked. Today's training was:

Calves/Arms/ Abs

Calf Press on Leg Press Machine PWO (plate weight only)
    400x10 W/U
    580x8 W/U
    760x15
    760x15
    760x14
    760x15
    760x14
    760x14

Seated Calf Raise
    210x15
    210x15
    210x14
    210x13
    210x13
    210x11

Bridge Buster High Cable Curl PWO
    30x15 W/U
    50x10 W/U
    65x8
    65x8
    65x8

Incline Curl
    40x10
    40x10
    40x9

Rope Hammer Curl PWO
    55x8
    55x8
    55x8

Triceps Pressdown PWO
    80x9
    80x8

Triceps Kickback
    45x9

Hanging Leg Raise
    15-15

Completed this session in an hour, cutting about 10 minutes off last week's session. I wasn't consciously trying to hurry; I was apparently just energized enough that I needed less between-set rest time.

Nailed my calves to the wall, and I'll continue to do so.

Bumped weight on Bridge Busters and Rope Hammers, and will work them back up to 10-across.

Incline Curls felt especially strong today, and I feel that's significant since there's little opportunity to cheat this move. Either the 'bells go up or they don't.

My tris pumped up like balloons on the Pressdowns; I felt one subsequent set of Kickbacks was enough for today.

I'll hit a heavy leg workout tomorrow.

I felt the need to break out the wok today, so Post-Workout eats was a plateful of stir fry veggies (garlic, jalapenos, red & green bell pepper, carrot, and celery) over rice. A glass of cold milk completed the meal.

No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Old Man Yelling at Cloud -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Calves are looking great Bill.

Happy Sunday.
    Insta: flexjs

Perseverance, Inc.

Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

RIP Gene Rychlak

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Looking good as usual IW. There are times I miss doing a complete arm day. The pump (yeah, I know, for the purists, not indicative of growth) is usually pretty amazing.
    If you poke a bear in the eye, expect a bear like response.

Teacher and Bodybuilder BergMuscle's Avatar
    BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Wicked volume (as usual) on your calf work. I hear you about high biceps. I've got them as well, as does a friend of mine and he and I were just discussing the best way to build the bis for men like us.

demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Hey, Mike, Hello! Good to see you in here, bud! Thanks for the biceps comment; it's only been within the last year or so that I've felt my arms were beginning to look decent. But that's been my own doing really, since I've never actually enjoyed arm training; I always would rather work legs or back as favorites.

I've been working calves 3 times a week for several months now, and the constant pounding is beginning to pay off.

Good deal on your hitting calves hard. They're an east bodypart to either ignore, or to just hit with a few after-thought exercises at the end of a "more-important-bodypart" workout!

BTW, if you remember the short discussion we had in your journal about those old chairs I was working on at the time, I completed the work a few months ago. Here's a link to a post in here with a few pics, if you're interested. IMO, they turned out really well, and have held up well to lots of use since being put back into service.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post725778481

Have a good weekend yourself.
    Thanks, man! My arms seem to get stronger but getting them to grow is another battle. I am starting to try a bit of a change in technique though, see if it helps.

Glad to hear the calves punishment is starting to pay off. Beat them calves up!! haha

Those chairs look great! Good work on them, seriously. Taking your time on each step really does make for a better final product. I am glad they turned out how you planned. What is the next project now?? Work has been pretty busy for me but no complaints from me, gotta make the money when I can.

I am having a decent night, about to watch my Eagles win! haha
    Have you done something today to take yourself to the next level?

Always thinking of making $$ crew

Help Others. Be Humble. Life is Great.

Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Your calves are looking great; good work. I recently incorporated incline curls due to the work I've seen in here; thanks for the tip. Stir fry looks amazing.

Enjoy your evening.
    Genshai

pcaracer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pcaracer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pcaracer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pcaracer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pcaracer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pcaracer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pcaracer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pcaracer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pcaracer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pcaracer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pcaracer is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Looking good bill. Ive started adding more calf training to my workout as well. Forgot how sore calves feel on the stairs at work. Wowza...

Jeff
    GST workout Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=626194513&posted=1#post626194513

Progression comes slow, Regression comes fast. What did you do to progress today?

Former Bench Jockey FastCatChamp's Avatar
    FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Nothing to add except STRONG avi.

Carry on.
    Home Journal: Me vs. Myself @.....http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=125942203

Levels and goals...........
    Kitten[CURRENT]...Cat[Application Submitted]..Alleycat..Bobcat...Puma...Lion....Tiger.

Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Another vote for the new avi Bill.. you have come a long way Sir

Stir fry looked amazing!
    -------------------------------------------------

Dee

Originally Posted by -=FLEX=- View Post
    Calves are looking great Bill.

Happy Sunday.
    Thanks, Jim! I've been working them consistently hard; so far, I've seen a bit of mirror progress, so I'll continue the onslaught.

I hope you had a good weekend.

Originally Posted by Brackneyc View Post
    Looking good as usual IW. There are times I miss doing a complete arm day. The pump (yeah, I know, for the purists, not indicative of growth) is usually pretty amazing.
    Thanks, Craig. I think my arms are finally beginning to look decent, or at least come in balance with the rest of me.

Lots of opinions about an 'arms-only' training day; as long as all other body parts are covered in balance, I see no problem with it. From posting in the 'exercise' and 'workout programs' forums, I see that the majority of the kids posting in there asking about arms usually over-do arm work while neglecting back and particularly, legs.

As far as the pump goes, you're correct, the presence of one doesn't necessarily indicate certain growth. But it's a very valuable tool for other indications, such as where the work is going, and, if there is no pump in a body part that normally has one, may indicate a nutrition problem. The trick is in figuring out the relative value of all these indicators the body puts out during both training and recovery, and then using the information to our advantage.

One other thought along this line of thinking; anything that motivates someone to train, be it a 'pump,' or any other factor, is a good thing!

Originally Posted by BergMuscle View Post
    Wicked volume (as usual) on your calf work.
    Hey, Dan, thanks. I think I've finally hit on a formula that works for me. The 3-times-a-week frequency, along with the 3 different workout schemes, has so far produced some mirror results.

I hear you about high biceps. I've got them as well, as does a friend of mine and he and I were just discussing the best way to build the bis for men like us.
    This is another subject that always elicits many different opinions. I think the only way for an individual to deal with the problem is to experiment with different tactics; I don't think any 'one size fits all' arm routine or group of exercises will help everyone.

The thing that has worked best for me, besides good old steady progression on basic lifts, is to build my forearms, so that they help the illusion that the high insertion is less than what's really there. Deadlifts (and all other 'pulls' for that matter), have worked well in that regard.

Originally Posted by demike View Post
    Thanks, man! My arms seem to get stronger but getting them to grow is another battle. I am starting to try a bit of a change in technique though, see if it helps.
    That's exactly what I've seen with my calf work--greatly increased strength, but not a lot of size. The only answer for both of us is to just keep on keeping on. Progression over time will always work, although sometimes not as quickly as we'd like!

Glad to hear the calves punishment is starting to pay off. Beat them calves up!! haha
    I'm going to continue to hit them with lots of frequency as well as the Sunday high-volume work. The big hurdle for me with calves, since I never saw much progress (my fault; not working them enough, obviously), was in simply hanging in there and giving the 3-times-a -week strategy a chance to work. It was several months after I bumped up the frequency before I ever saw any improvement in the mirror. Now that I know they're capable of responding, it's a little easier to stay 'on board' the frequent calf work.

Those chairs look great! Good work on them, seriously. Taking your time on each step really does make for a better final product. I am glad they turned out how you planned. What is the next project now??
    Thanks, Mike. Once I got all the old paint off, and got any necessary repairs done, I knew they were going to look as good as their matching table. After I light-sanded the first coat of poly, and tack-ragged them off, I sealed off the air duct in the ceiling in my work shop to keep dust off the final coat. I expected to have to buff that final poly coat with 00000 steel wool, but they dried perfectly smooth, and no other work was required.

Work has been pretty busy for me but no complaints from me, gotta make the money when I can.
    I kind of figured you've been busy, and that's a good thing; gotta make hay while the sun shines.

I am having a decent night, about to watch my Eagles win! haha
    That was a good game; tough loss for the Eagles though.

Originally Posted by Tifflex View Post
    Your calves are looking great; good work.
    Hey, Tiff, thanks! They're finally showing a little life, after 15 years of mediocre training on my part!

I recently incorporated incline curls due to the work I've seen in here; thanks for the tip.
    IMO, they're an excellent biceps builder. There aren't many other ways to get such a complete stretch.

Stir fry looks amazing.

Enjoy your evening.
    Thanks! An inexpensive carbon steel wok (non-stick coatings just won't hold up to the high heat necessary to stir-fry), some peanut oil, and high heat will turn just about any ingredients into quick magic! For what was pictured, I heated about a 1/2 cup of oil, crushed a large garlic clove and then fried it for a few seconds by itself and then removed it. To this flavored oil I added the veggies, stir-fried them for a few minutes, and then added a cup of chicken broth with 2 tablespoons of soy sauce along with a 1/2 cup of cold water with 2 tablespoons of corn starch stirred in. As soon as the liquid thickened (only as long as it takes to come to a boil), I stirred the veggies in, then served them over rice.

Originally Posted by pcaracer View Post
    Looking good bill.
    Thanks, Jeff. I had a good session, and it bodes well for the remainder of the week's training.

Ive started adding more calf training to my workout as well. Forgot how sore calves feel on the stairs at work. Wowza...
    Good deal on the calf attention; get a jump on 'em, and you won't have to do like I'm currently doing--trying to play 'catch-up!'

Originally Posted by FastCatChamp View Post
    Nothing to add except STRONG avi.

Carry on.
    Hey, Gale, thanks! Arms are finally coming into balance with the rest of me.

It's just always been more enjoyable for me to work my legs and/or back, and sometimes that left arms (specifically biceps for me; tris grow if I just think about 'em) lacking work. Sooner or later though, that inattention must be addressed.

Better to not let it happen in the first place!

Originally Posted by Whatanejit View Post
    Another vote for the new avi Bill.. you have come a long way Sir
    Thanks, Dee; I appreciate the comment. Consistent work over time will always get the job done.

Stir fry looked amazing!
    Thanks! As I posted to Tiffany, peanut oil and a wok makes anything taste great!
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

IGF1-Akt-mTor1/2 Brah braggable's Avatar
    braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Another great one Bill! I love that I have re-discovered my affinity for tricep kickback and hanging leg raises because of this log.

You are constantly motivating us!
    The above statement/post does not represent the opinions of anyone in real life. This is the internet. Not real life. Anyone who cannot grasp the difference between the two lacks the basic intelligence necessary for survival and should not be allowed to form opinions.

Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Calf Press on Leg Press Machine PWO (plate weight only)
    400x10 W/U
    580x8 W/U
    760x15
    760x15
    760x14
    760x15
    760x14
    760x14[/center]
    The weight on your calf press is insane!

You and I talked chili recently, and my wife used a new (actually, our OLD) recipe, and the macros are much more favorable: 31/32/6/300 (carb/prot/fat/cals) for a cup of chili. We "splurged" and bought some asparagus, too (woot-woot).

Originally Posted by braggable View Post
    Another great one Bill! I love that I have re-discovered my affinity for tricep kickback and hanging leg raises because of this log.

You are constantly motivating us!
    Thanks, Tom; I appreciate the comments.

So many exercises; so few workouts!

I've tried every "lower" ab exercise you can name, but I've yet to find one that is as effective as HLRs.

And as for Kickbacks, they don't get much respect (I've been known to joke abouth them myself!), and are often dismissed as a mere "finishing" exercise. I don't buy it. If enough weight is used, just about any exercise will promote mass gain.

Originally Posted by Payton1221 View Post
    The weight on your calf press is insane!
    LOL. It's just a gradual progression over a long period of time, Payton. Actually, I'd be just as happy if I were getting the same feel from only using a fraction of the weight; I'd be less prone to an injury.

You and I talked chili recently, and my wife used a new (actually, our OLD) recipe, and the macros are much more favorable: 31/32/6/300 (carb/prot/fat/cals) for a cup of chili.
    That looks good; a lot of protein for just a cup's worth.

I'm probably going to cook up another potful myself sometime this week.

We "splurged" and bought some asparagus, too (woot-woot).
    Good deal. Asparagus is loaded with good stuff, a nice side benefit to the fact that it just tastes so good.

Fresh fruit and veggies are the way to go; there's no pill or powder that can deliver the same level of micros as what grows from the Earth.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Page 151 of 329 FirstFirst ... 51 101 141 149 150 151 152 153 161 201 251 ... LastLast