Page 269 of 330 FirstFirst ... 169 219 259 267 268 269 270 271 279 319 ... LastLast
Results 8,041 to 8,070 of 9897
    mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have about 2 weeks left before I want to start cutting (I realize that my bulk of 12 weeks was really too short to be super useful but I planned poorly and don't want to bulk through summer). Can I get some opinions on my before/afters so far? All I see is more fat :-( These are at 8 weeks and 5-7 pounds gained (IBS-D gives me a lot of water weight fluctuation and makes it hard to tell)

rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by tahinilove View Post
    I think you have done great sticking to your first bulk this long! Most people tend to finish earlier than planned!

Can't wait to see your progression!
    Thanks girl!! I am so pumped to finally see what's under there haha!!

So a question for those experienced in bulks: my calipers have measured me around 27% bodyfat (seems high, but I was definitely skinny fat when I started and of course I've gained a little more fat along the way). So first question: does this seem like a normal post-bulk number?

I will be doing bikini so I will probably reach for a 12-15% range, but this may be due to changed just based off how I look when I get closer to the big day - I don't want to be too skinny.

I have 16 weeks to prep - does this seem like enough time to get down to that range? According to some mathematical equations this will be about a 15-20 lb drop for me, or about 1.5 lbs to lose per week. How does this sound? I've never dieted before so this feels like a lot to me!
    If you change nothing, nothing will change.

My journal - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153752941

www.rachelelizabethknits.com

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by mavd View Post
    I have about 2 weeks left before I want to start cutting (I realize that my bulk of 12 weeks was really too short to be super useful but I planned poorly and don't want to bulk through summer). Can I get some opinions on my before/afters so far? All I see is more fat :-( These are at 8 weeks and 5-7 pounds gained (IBS-D gives me a lot of water weight fluctuation and makes it hard to tell)
    Your arms and quads looks like they picked up more size. Those 5-7 pounds look like nothing on you. You're seeing fat gains that really aren't there.

Laurensmom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What do you ladies do about your clothes getting too tight during a bulk? I'm currently dropping back a bit because all my clothes are squeezing me. I haven't decided if I should do a full 12 week cut or get back to bulking in a few weeks. I realize a lot of it (for me)depends on comfort level in my clothing. Do you buy bigger clothes or are some styles more forgiving of a bulking figure or is this the definite sign that a full cut is in order?

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Laurensmom View Post
    What do you ladies do about your clothes getting too tight during a bulk? I'm currently dropping back a bit because all my clothes are squeezing me. I haven't decided if I should do a full 12 week cut or get back to bulking in a few weeks. I realize a lot of it (for me)depends on comfort level in my clothing. Do you buy bigger clothes or are some styles more forgiving of a bulking figure or is this the definite sign that a full cut is in order?
    When my clothes get tight I celebrate and buy a larger size. After a good 6 months bulk and time to lean out you shouldn't be able to fit into your pre bulk clothes. Fat is squishy, muscle isn't. Grow muscle and you'll need larger sizes even after leaning out

rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by freebirdmac View Post
    When my clothes get tight I celebrate and buy a larger size. After a good 6 months bulk and time to lean out you shouldn't be able to fit into your pre bulk clothes. Fat is squishy, muscle isn't. Grow muscle and you'll need larger sizes even after leaning out
    The first time you mentioned the fat is squishy, muscle isn't thing a while back, it blew my mind and changed everything! It made me kinda happy when I couldn't "squish" into old jeans.. legs were too solid! Made me think twice the next time I was having a "fat day", which I should start calling "muscle days" or something different.

Originally Posted by rachelily View Post
    Thanks girl!! I am so pumped to finally see what's under there haha!!

So a question for those experienced in bulks: my calipers have measured me around 27% bodyfat (seems high, but I was definitely skinny fat when I started and of course I've gained a little more fat along the way). So first question: does this seem like a normal post-bulk number?

I will be doing bikini so I will probably reach for a 12-15% range, but this may be due to changed just based off how I look when I get closer to the big day - I don't want to be too skinny.

I have 16 weeks to prep - does this seem like enough time to get down to that range? According to some mathematical equations this will be about a 15-20 lb drop for me, or about 1.5 lbs to lose per week. How does this sound? I've never dieted before so this feels like a lot to me!
    I'm not an expert, but I have prepped for a bikini comp. Since you've never dieted before and you've been bulking, you'll probably drop pretty easily, but it still seems like quite a bit to lose. It gets harder and harder to lose weight when your bodyfat gets lower.
    Ah yes, I see what you mean. I'll diet a bit and see how things go, but assume I'll need bigger sizes.

I'm not an expert, but I have prepped for a bikini comp. Since you've never dieted before and you've been bulking, you'll probably drop pretty easily, but it still seems like quite a bit to lose. It gets harder and harder to lose weight when your bodyfat gets lower.
    Ah yes, I see what you mean. I'll diet a bit and see how things go, but assume I'll need bigger sizes.
    I redid the calipers (last time I didn't do in the morning, and it was after eating too) this time it came in at 22%, much more doable. This puts me at 0.5% loss a week

I redid the calipers (last time I didn't do in the morning, and it was after eating too) this time it came in at 22%, much more doable. This puts me at 0.5% loss a week
    Oh good! THAT is do-able. Good luck!

Oh good! THAT is do-able. Good luck!
    Made me a lot happier to see that number Thanks!! I start TOMORROW WOOOO!!!!!!

kaylasmommy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Fat bulker here

Hey ladies! Long time lurker here (well since round about February). The reason I took so long to post is, well, because I've gone against expert advice and am bulking and I really didn't want anyone to discourage me until I was too far into it to turn back. What do I mean? Well I know the "correct" thing to do is bulk when you're in the 19-24% range of body fat but I started my bulk at 30% bf. Yes, you read that correct. Crazy I know. Truth is, I'm not a fan of the "small" look (for myself that is), as a matter of fact, I take being called "thick" as a compliment even though I know others hate it. So when I got down to 125 lbs from 141 lbs and people were telling me I should stop losing because I was getting too "flat" even though I knew my body fat % was still too high, I figured bulking was the way to go.

Ok so about the bulk. I started January 6 and I have to say, it has NOT been smooth sailing. I've experienced the same highs and lows as you other ladies, the only difference is I at no point thought of ending the bulk just because I was getting too fat. I told myself I'm doing this for 7 months and 7 months it will be. My biggest challenge has been that I'm in a new environment (back at school doing my Master's) and I hate the fact that people there see me so fat and pudgy now and won't get to see me when I start cutting. (How awful is it that my cut starts right when I finish school, SUCKS big time). I even met an Olympic medallist who I have a major crush on and I cringe when I think about how he sees me. I have to constantly remind myself that I'm not single so it's not like we had a chance anyway...LOL.

I started my bulk at 128 lbs and I'm now at 137 lbs. Body fat started at 30.8% now it's at 32.9%! I started out really well but then had some really bad weeks where my protein was low, carbs (especially sugar) super high, and calories through the roof. As of this past week though I'm trying to get back on track. I'm using NROL as my lifting program and I like it.

I hope to make some friends here as there is no one IRL who understands what it is I'm trying to do. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Originally Posted by kaylasmommy View Post
    Hey ladies! Long time lurker here (well since round about February). The reason I took so long to post is, well, because I've gone against expert advice and am bulking and I really didn't want anyone to discourage me until I was too far into it to turn back. What do I mean? Well I know the "correct" thing to do is bulk when you're in the 19-24% range of body fat but I started my bulk at 30% bf. Yes, you read that correct. Crazy I know. Truth is, I'm not a fan of the "small" look (for myself that is), as a matter of fact, I take being called "thick" as a compliment even though I know others hate it. So when I got down to 125 lbs from 141 lbs and people were telling me I should stop losing because I was getting too "flat" even though I knew my body fat % was still too high, I figured bulking was the way to go.

Ok so about the bulk. I started January 6 and I have to say, it has NOT been smooth sailing. I've experienced the same highs and lows as you other ladies, the only difference is I at no point thought of ending the bulk just because I was getting too fat. I told myself I'm doing this for 7 months and 7 months it will be. My biggest challenge has been that I'm in a new environment (back at school doing my Master's) and I hate the fact that people there see me so fat and pudgy now and won't get to see me when I start cutting. (How awful is it that my cut starts right when I finish school, SUCKS big time). I even met an Olympic medallist who I have a major crush on and I cringe when I think about how he sees me. I have to constantly remind myself that I'm not single so it's not like we had a chance anyway...LOL.

I started my bulk at 128 lbs and I'm now at 137 lbs. Body fat started at 30.8% now it's at 32.9%! I started out really well but then had some really bad weeks where my protein was low, carbs (especially sugar) super high, and calories through the roof. As of this past week though I'm trying to get back on track. I'm using NROL as my lifting program and I like it.

I hope to make some friends here as there is no one IRL who understands what it is I'm trying to do. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
    Don't worry about what other people are thinking. It's your body!

Originally Posted by kaylasmommy View Post

You are not doing it wrong. Not at all. There's no rule that says you have to be at a certain body fat level before bulking. It's all about comfort level. In other words, it's psychological. There's a benefit to doing it the way you are doing it. The extra weight is weight you have to lift along with the actual weights. Also, there's nothing more psychologically tough than leaning out getting smaller, but looking the same. In other words, being skinny fat. So don't sweat it or worry about what other people are thinking. Once you have that body you're looking for people will come to you to ask how you did it. And most if not all will not follow your advice

Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    How much are you ladies gaining per month? I have seen a range of 1-3 lbs a month advised, but I am just curious the gain that is actually happening for others. My gain has been an average of 2.5 lbs per month so on the high side. I have lowered my calories once and wondering if I should do it again.

Originally Posted by Nsm22 View Post
    How much are you ladies gaining per month? I have seen a range of 1-3 lbs a month advised, but I am just curious the gain that is actually happening for others. My gain has been an average of 2.5 lbs per month so on the high side. I have lowered my calories once and wondering if I should do it again.
    See how it goes over the next month or so. You'd like to be in the 1-2 pound per month range. It can be more in the first couple of months. But after that it should settle to 1-2 pounds.

Location: London, State / Province, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Your weight is pretty low for your height though, so your body may be playing catch up, and have you factored out any initial water weight gains in your average?

mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hi everyone! First time bulker here! I just have a general question..I'm going on a fairly long bulk as I am underweight right now, so I know all the weight I am gaining right now is a lot of water weight. I don't check the scale very often but I find that one day I eat just above maintenance and the next day I need maybe 300-400 above maintenance and I gain 5 lbs! I don't have a lot of sodium in my diet, and I am not overloading on carbs. Just wondering if anyone has any experience/advice on this? When should I expect that my weight will just normalize and I will start seeing steady gains?

Originally Posted by mariannej5 View Post
    Hi everyone! First time bulker here! I just have a general question..I'm going on a fairly long bulk as I am underweight right now, so I know all the weight I am gaining right now is a lot of water weight. I don't check the scale very often but I find that one day I eat just above maintenance and the next day I need maybe 300-400 above maintenance and I gain 5 lbs! I don't have a lot of sodium in my diet, and I am not overloading on carbs. Just wondering if anyone has any experience/advice on this? When should I expect that my weight will just normalize and I will start seeing steady gains?
    Generally in a few weeks it stabilizes if you keep carbs high the entire time. What is your maintenance? Why fluctuate between just above and 300-400 above?

Neezaa is just really nice. (+1000) Neezaa is just really nice. (+1000) Neezaa is just really nice. (+1000) Neezaa is just really nice. (+1000) Neezaa is just really nice. (+1000) Neezaa is just really nice. (+1000) Neezaa is just really nice. (+1000) Neezaa is just really nice. (+1000) Neezaa is just really nice. (+1000) Neezaa is just really nice. (+1000) Neezaa is just really nice. (+1000)
    Similar stats...

I'm actually down to 116-117 again unfortunately. Sigh. I used to eat around 2,300 cals per day (or more, that was just a minimum). The first 5 weeks, I gained 5 lbs. After that it was 1-2 pounds every 1-2 weeks (roughly). Then of course I stopped eating because I got "busy" and so here I am at a set back. Haven't lifted or bulked in about a month. :/

It's a long term thing... Your body adjusts. The first few weeks will be the fastest gains. As you weigh more, you need more calories to maintain that weight and add more weight.
    not sure if female miscer or troll

Don't worry about what other people are thinking. It's your body!
    You're absolutely right! Just need to keep reminding myself of that.

mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Generally in a few weeks it stabilizes if you keep carbs high the entire time. What is your maintenance? Why fluctuate between just above and 300-400 above?
    Maintenance is about 2200. Sometimes I find it difficult to eat that much during the day. I am shooting to go above 200, but say if I wake up at noon (lol) I don't have the time to eat that much! Or I feel so full..I live with my family also, so although I track the majority of what I am eating, my mom makes dinner most nights and I don't know exactly what she puts in stuff sometimes.

Sorry, I should be keeping carbs high?

@Neeza
    My weight fluctuated around 115-120 so much because I had no idea how much I should have really been eating. I would just eat when I felt hungry and my diet has always been fairly clean, so I was actually losing weight. I can't imagine adding more calories to what I am eating just in terms of money! I just spent $200 at the grocery store. How much will I have to bump them up as I gain weight?

You are not doing it wrong. Not at all. There's no rule that says you have to be at a certain body fat level before bulking. It's all about comfort level. In other words, it's psychological. There's a benefit to doing it the way you are doing it. The extra weight is weight you have to lift along with the actual weights. Also, there's nothing more psychologically tough than leaning out getting smaller, but looking the same. In other words, being skinny fat. So don't sweat it or worry about what other people are thinking. Once you have that body you're looking for people will come to you to ask how you did it. And most if not all will not follow your advice

Thanks for this! I'm really happy now that I decided to join in. This seems like such a great board, very encouraging. I would have done it on my own anyhow, once I make up my mind to do something I WILL get it done regardless of what people say, but it's so much nicer to have a little support behind you.

Well when I just started I was gaining at about 1 lb a week then it tapered off. The current average is 2 lbs a month.

Neezaa is just really nice. (+1000) Neezaa is just really nice. (+1000) Neezaa is just really nice. (+1000) Neezaa is just really nice. (+1000) Neezaa is just really nice. (+1000) Neezaa is just really nice. (+1000) Neezaa is just really nice. (+1000) Neezaa is just really nice. (+1000) Neezaa is just really nice. (+1000) Neezaa is just really nice. (+1000) Neezaa is just really nice. (+1000)
    Maintenance is about 2200. Sometimes I find it difficult to eat that much during the day. I am shooting to go above 200, but say if I wake up at noon (lol) I don't have the time to eat that much! Or I feel so full..I live with my family also, so although I track the majority of what I am eating, my mom makes dinner most nights and I don't know exactly what she puts in stuff sometimes.

@Neeza
    My weight fluctuated around 115-120 so much because I had no idea how much I should have really been eating. I would just eat when I felt hungry and my diet has always been fairly clean, so I was actually losing weight. I can't imagine adding more calories to what I am eating just in terms of money! I just spent $200 at the grocery store. How much will I have to bump them up as I gain weight?
    Your body will get used to eating more, especially if you're lifting heavy. Your appetite will develop. Food cost can be a real challenge, but there are ways to shop smart. It takes time though... It's a new skill. There are a lot of helpful articles around. Cooking yourself makes a huge difference over buying pre-made things.
    not sure if female miscer or troll

liftette has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need a guide

Is there a document or some kind of tip sheet for how to do this? I tried bulking last year for about a week and gave up and decided to lose my last bit of fat instead. It didn't work. So I'm ready to try bulking again but I need some guidelines. If my TDEE is 2100, do I just eat around 2400 and lift heavy and that's it? Anything special with macros? Anything I need to know?

@Neeza
    If you really want to do this, do it! No excuses! Your body will adapt to eating more. Yes, it can be uncomfortable at times but that too will pass. Your carb intake should be in the 200+g range. Carbs contain a lot of water, thus the bloat. Keep teasing your body with low then higher amounts of carbs and you get bloat. Even when leaning out it's better to keep carbs as high as possible to avoid this. You can still get the very temporary bloat that only lasts a few days from an unusual meal. But you shouldn't get the long term bloat from having to adjust to higher carbs.

If you don't have any food allergies or sensitivities then start shopping smarter! You can usually find deals on things like eggs, chicken, cans of tuns, and peanut butter.

Originally Posted by liftette View Post
    Is there a document or some kind of tip sheet for how to do this? I tried bulking last year for about a week and gave up and decided to lose my last bit of fat instead. It didn't work. So I'm ready to try bulking again but I need some guidelines. If my TDEE is 2100, do I just eat around 2400 and lift heavy and that's it? Anything special with macros? Anything I need to know?
    You want to aim for 250 calories over maintenance which should give you a 1/2 pound a week weight gain. Get your minimums in protein and fat, lift heavy, and get plenty of rest. Yep, that's about it

@freebird

Thank you! This is so helpful!

Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for the replies, I guess I will just keep in with the amount I have been eating.

LondonGirlie74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hii everyone

Hi girls

Have finally gotten my head around eating more, was here a few years back and was told to eat, but I still couldnt do it. I am now actually doing it, hopefully setting my metabolism to get back on track.

I had been eating 1000/1,200 stupid cals for years. Im now, and have been for about 3 weeks/month 1900/2000 cals, and am still the same weight as when eating low cal! Amazing.

Im also lifting heavy and have stuck with it, without injury and progressing albeit slowly, but still doing so, for about 2 months now. So for about 3/4 weeks have obviously been maintaining on say 2000 cals. My aim, as before was trying to build a bit, without trying to put on too much fat. Legs are still bit flabbly but with clear muscle undernear. and I do have abs under there somehwere too

So my question being, shall I start upping my cals slowly? If so by how much, and also how long shall I do this bulk for?

Thanks so much x

Forgot to add that I do spin x 3 for half hour, and heavy 4/5 times per week
    Last edited by LondonGirlie74; 05-13-2013 at 05:36 AM.

tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's so fabulous when you realise you aren't squishy anymore and you're actually developing muscle.
    Makes this whole process worth it.

Keep up the great work ladies

Page 269 of 330 FirstFirst ... 169 219 259 267 268 269 270 271 279 319 ... LastLast