Page 81 of 330 FirstFirst ... 31 71 79 80 81 82 83 91 131 181 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,430 of 9897
    andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by fitnessfreak88 View Post
    Wohooo! So happy for you, i know how hard increases are but you are right that it is the best decision for you, don't worry about high protein at the mo if it makes hitting your cals easier, you can work on that later. Keep it up! : ) xxx
    thanks, emma. so nice to 'see' you again. you've been missed.

mausi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mausi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mausi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mausi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mausi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mausi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mausi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mausi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mausi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for being there for me today Andrerox80<3 I hope tomorrow will be a better day...after the puppy being attacked and the fact that I gained 5lbs in 6 wks..I'm so tired of crying

I'm so glad you're upping your cals again! You're doing awesome!

andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by mausi79 View Post
    Thanks for being there for me today Andrerox80<3 I hope tomorrow will be a better day...after the puppy being attacked and the fact that I gained 5lbs in 6 wks..I'm so tired of crying

I'm so glad you're upping your cals again! You're doing awesome!
    thanks, mausi, and any time. that's what i'm here for! but you need to re-weigh first thing in the am after you use the bathroom to really see what you weigh. and it really is common to gain at first when increasing cals a bunch, which you did. does not mean it'll stay on or that you'll continue to gain fast. remember you're still eating around maintenance. i hope today is a better day for you. i hear you abt the crying outbursts. you had a really rough couple of days, and crying and feeling not-so-good abt gaining is par for the course. and then your doggies violent fight on top of that can easily break you. but it's over now and today is a new day.

pwincessami is on a distinguished road. (+10) pwincessami is on a distinguished road. (+10) pwincessami is on a distinguished road. (+10) pwincessami is on a distinguished road. (+10) pwincessami is on a distinguished road. (+10) pwincessami is on a distinguished road. (+10) pwincessami is on a distinguished road. (+10) pwincessami is on a distinguished road. (+10) pwincessami is on a distinguished road. (+10) pwincessami is on a distinguished road. (+10) pwincessami is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    For the past weeks i was doing great, hitting my macros perfectly almost every day..but today is sooo hoooottt i dont want to eat anything! the temperature here goes up to 50 degrees C, and im really worried it is going to affect my diet:/
    www.pinkbarbells.com

lil_terror is on a distinguished road. (+10) lil_terror is on a distinguished road. (+10) lil_terror is on a distinguished road. (+10) lil_terror is on a distinguished road. (+10) lil_terror is on a distinguished road. (+10) lil_terror is on a distinguished road. (+10) lil_terror is on a distinguished road. (+10) lil_terror is on a distinguished road. (+10) lil_terror is on a distinguished road. (+10) lil_terror is on a distinguished road. (+10) lil_terror is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Talking I wanna play!

Finally finished reading all 80 pages of this thread, whew! My original plan was to start bulking in the fall. After a year of 100% gym stoppage (and consequently unintentional "fat" bulking....and feeling like crap about myself) I thought I'd be happy to just chill out for the summer now that I've been back in the gym for a couple months and dropped some poundage and fit back into my summer clothes! (ahhh, vanity )

But alas! Sitting and waiting once I've got an idea in my head is not something I do well. And after reading all of your struggles and triumphs, I am extra motivated to just jump in now. Heck, I just want to EAT!!

I don't think I'm worried about scale numbers or calories numbers bothering me. I am a little worried about 3-4 days of heavy lifting and no cardio being enough to do anything. I know, I know, there is more than enough evidence on this site to say it is, but I can't help thinking that I may just be that one exception to the rule! Especially b/c I'm not as lean starting out as most of the girls I followed along with on here. I certainly don't think I'm fat, and I think I have a decent (compared to your avg chick off the street) amount of muscle.....I guess I'm just looking for that extra confirmation from someone else that indeed I'm ready for a bulk, as is. So feel free to chime in here, ladies!

Last thing -- total calories. I don't have the numbers right in front of me, but using the mifflin st. jeor formula my maintenance cals are between 1900-2000. I haven't been a huge calorie counter in the past, but anytime that I have tracked for the purpose of dieting/training, I have never intentionally hit anywhere above 1800 (right now, hovering around 1750). Until recently I had always read that people way overestimate their activity level so I've always tried to err on the side of caution. And now all of a sudden I'm reading that these bodybuggs have people burning way more than they thought! So I need a bodybugg -- hard data makes me happy. But until then, I'm entrusting my caloric needs estimate to you all (ahem, calling freebirdmac -- who apparently knows everything! ). I don't feel like my days are super active outside of the gym, but I do "chase" an 18-month old much of the day during the week (not mine, btw.) Beyond that, I sit (sigh).

Anyways, that's it. Any input would be much appreciated. Now let's do this thang!

Damn, it's good to be me! thepowerwithin's Avatar
    thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by pwincessami View Post
    For the past weeks i was doing great, hitting my macros perfectly almost every day..but today is sooo hoooottt i dont want to eat anything! the temperature here goes up to 50 degrees C, and im really worried it is going to affect my diet:/
    I have heard of heat affecting people's appetite. I didn't get that .

Milkshakes.....lots of variations.....add peanut butter to get cals up and PP.

Speaking of which, there is a restaurant about 8 miles from my house that makes a key lime pie shake. They actually put a slice of key lime pie in the blender, graham crust and all, along with the vanilla ice cream and milk and a dollop of whip cream. It's heaven. Probably 600 cals. I love dessert .

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by lil_terror View Post
    Finally finished reading all 80 pages of this thread, whew! My original plan was to start bulking in the fall. After a year of 100% gym stoppage (and consequently unintentional "fat" bulking....and feeling like crap about myself) I thought I'd be happy to just chill out for the summer now that I've been back in the gym for a couple months and dropped some poundage and fit back into my summer clothes! (ahhh, vanity )

But alas! Sitting and waiting once I've got an idea in my head is not something I do well. And after reading all of your struggles and triumphs, I am extra motivated to just jump in now. Heck, I just want to EAT!!

I don't think I'm worried about scale numbers or calories numbers bothering me. I am a little worried about 3-4 days of heavy lifting and no cardio being enough to do anything. I know, I know, there is more than enough evidence on this site to say it is, but I can't help thinking that I may just be that one exception to the rule! Especially b/c I'm not as lean starting out as most of the girls I followed along with on here. I certainly don't think I'm fat, and I think I have a decent (compared to your avg chick off the street) amount of muscle.....I guess I'm just looking for that extra confirmation from someone else that indeed I'm ready for a bulk, as is. So feel free to chime in here, ladies!

Last thing -- total calories. I don't have the numbers right in front of me, but using the mifflin st. jeor formula my maintenance cals are between 1900-2000. I haven't been a huge calorie counter in the past, but anytime that I have tracked for the purpose of dieting/training, I have never intentionally hit anywhere above 1800 (right now, hovering around 1750). Until recently I had always read that people way overestimate their activity level so I've always tried to err on the side of caution. And now all of a sudden I'm reading that these bodybuggs have people burning way more than they thought! So I need a bodybugg -- hard data makes me happy. But until then, I'm entrusting my caloric needs estimate to you all (ahem, calling freebirdmac -- who apparently knows everything! ). I don't feel like my days are super active outside of the gym, but I do "chase" an 18-month old much of the day during the week (not mine, btw.) Beyond that, I sit (sigh).

Anyways, that's it. Any input would be much appreciated. Now let's do this thang!
    Lol! do NOT know everything

I think a bulk, even if it only lasts 6 weeks, would do you good. Maybe break you of your cardio and undershooting calories thing. If nothing else, it should give your metabolism a boost and help you discover your true maintenance. Which is totally believable at 2000+ calories.

So up the cals, pick a good routine, and go for it! Just lift heavy 4x a week, no cardio, and get up to about 2300 calories. As you've read, you shouldn't be thrown by big scale jumps, or bloating... just keep your head focused on what's going on in the gym.

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by thepowerwithin View Post

Speaking of which, there is a restaurant about 8 miles from my house that makes a key lime pie shake. They actually put a slice of key lime pie in the blender, graham crust and all, along with the vanilla ice cream and milk and a dollop of whip cream. It's heaven. Probably 600 cals. I love dessert .
    Holy cow! Well, that's one way to make a key lime milkshake!

dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I had a GREAT bulking day yesterday and not just because I ate 2350+ calories, but psychologically.

I happened to be in the gym Friday evening when my trainer was doing her teen girl weight training group (which Friday had only one participant). So yesterday she said to me, "I was bragging on you to my teen girl Friday. I said, 'You see her? She's in my Women's Weight Training," and she said, "Wow! She's strong!'" (Note: no, I'm not, but if I impress 15 year olds, I'll take it ) Then we were talking about my midpoint pictures I'd taken last week and whether I'd gained weight. I said I thought I'd gained 3 or 4 pounds but it was hard to tell with weight fluctuations, and she said she had no problem believing I've gained 3 pounds of actual *muscle* over the last few months from what she can see visually. And when I said I couldn't see too much change in the pics, but I was happy with my rear delts coming in, she said, "Oh, yeah, when I was watching you do reverse flyes (on the pec deck), I could see striations in your shoulders. Crazy!" Then she told me a whole bunch of stuff about how cool she thinks it is that I'm serious about lifting, because there are hardly any women in our gym who are, and that it's fun to work with me because I'm so excited about it and always want to try new things. Oh, and that it's awesome that I squat without the pad on the bar, hahahaha.

Believe me, this was exactly the positive reinforcement I needed right about now to feel like I'm doing the right stuff with the bulking.

And then I went to the beach with a friend and made the empirical observation that 99% of women who are old enough to vote have cellulite when they're in a bathing suit, and that just strenghtened my resolve not to give a crap about mine.
    "Eat some oatmeal, do some squats, how hard is that seriously."--Prof Ham
    ..............................................................................
    Team Cookies Give You Superpowers
    ...............................................................................
    For the lulz and an occasional intelligent thought, plus pics:

http://musclemilkisnotaeuphemism.blogspot.com/

Originally Posted by dreahere View Post
    I had a GREAT bulking day yesterday and not just because I ate 2350+ calories, but psychologically.

I happened to be in the gym Friday evening when my trainer was doing her teen girl weight training group (which Friday had only one participant). So yesterday she said to me, "I was bragging on you to my teen girl Friday. I said, 'You see her? She's in my Women's Weight Training," and she said, "Wow! She's strong!'" (Note: no, I'm not, but if I impress 15 year olds, I'll take it ) Then we were talking about my midpoint pictures I'd taken last week and whether I'd gained weight. I said I thought I'd gained 3 or 4 pounds but it was hard to tell with weight fluctuations, and she said she had no problem believing I've gained 3 pounds of actual *muscle* over the last few months from what she can see visually. And when I said I couldn't see too much change in the pics, but I was happy with my rear delts coming in, she said, "Oh, yeah, when I was watching you do reverse flyes (on the pec deck), I could see striations in your shoulders. Crazy!" Then she told me a whole bunch of stuff about how cool she thinks it is that I'm serious about lifting, because there are hardly any women in our gym who are, and that it's fun to work with me because I'm so excited about it and always want to try new things. Oh, and that it's awesome that I squat without the pad on the bar, hahahaha.

Believe me, this was exactly the positive reinforcement I needed right about now to feel like I'm doing the right stuff with the bulking.

And then I went to the beach with a friend and made the empirical observation that 99% of women who are old enough to vote have cellulite when they're in a bathing suit, and that just strenghtened my resolve not to give a crap about mine.
    Excellent!! Feedback like that is so motivating. It's a wonder there isn't more of it going on in the gym. I make a point of telling the other women, and some men, in the gym when I see real changes in their physiques (no blowing smoke). You can easily tell by their reactions that they respond just like you did. So keep up the good work and if the opportunity presents itself, compliment someone else on their progress. Even a complete stranger.

thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Hey, I just want to say welcome and congratulations on all your hard work. I looked at your photos and you look great! IMO, primed for a bulk .

I have never intentionally eaten to gain either, so I totally GET you there! I've only been at it since June 1st, and everyday I am kicking myself for not starting sooner. Time wasted, but lesson learned .

My maintenance is 1,900 and I am bulking on 2,150. I have a desk job and use 1.5 for my AF. I have 3 boys and it's a LOT of housework, cooking and cleaning. I rarely just lay around when off the clock.

I am not a fan of those body thingies. My family would flip . I'd wear one for a week for experimental purposes and that's it. I think you could gather the same information just by monitoring results; scale, mirror clothes and make adjustments accordingly.

So glad you are joining us, and you are right, FBM is "the bomb" in this thread.

woo!!

Excellent! I love it when this happens, especially when your commitment is wavering . It's such a boost and makes you want to keep going!!! It's usually after compliments, that I get a soar of strength, determination, and focus.

I'll share my story. Grocery store on Sunday. Fifty-something-year-old woman walks by and I hear her saying to her friend, "Holy crap, she's in shape. Did you see that girl?" OK, I was thrilled the rest of the day .

fitnessfreak88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitnessfreak88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitnessfreak88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitnessfreak88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitnessfreak88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitnessfreak88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitnessfreak88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitnessfreak88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitnessfreak88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitnessfreak88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitnessfreak88 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by andrerox80 View Post
    thanks, emma. so nice to 'see' you again. you've been missed.
    You are a SWEETIE! : ) email on the way soon i promise ; )
    xx

pwincessami is on a distinguished road. (+10) pwincessami is on a distinguished road. (+10) pwincessami is on a distinguished road. (+10) pwincessami is on a distinguished road. (+10) pwincessami is on a distinguished road. (+10) pwincessami is on a distinguished road. (+10) pwincessami is on a distinguished road. (+10) pwincessami is on a distinguished road. (+10) pwincessami is on a distinguished road. (+10) pwincessami is on a distinguished road. (+10) pwincessami is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I am partially lactose intolerant so I cant have milkshakes:/
    www.pinkbarbells.com

dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by freebirdmac View Post
    Excellent!! Feedback like that is so motivating. It's a wonder there isn't more of it going on in the gym. I make a point of telling the other women, and some men, in the gym when I see real changes in their physiques (no blowing smoke). You can easily tell by their reactions that they respond just like you did. So keep up the good work and if the opportunity presents itself, compliment someone else on their progress. Even a complete stranger.
    I know! I am very shy about doing this, but I should.

Excellent! I love it when this happens, especially when your commitment is wavering . It's such a boost and makes you want to keep going!!! It's usually after compliments, that I get a soar of strength, determination, and focus.

I'll share my story. Grocery store on Sunday. Fifty-something-year-old woman walks by and I hear her saying to her friend, "Holy crap, she's in shape. Did you see that girl?" OK, I was thrilled the rest of the day .
    That.is.awesome.
    "Eat some oatmeal, do some squats, how hard is that seriously."--Prof Ham
    ..............................................................................
    Team Cookies Give You Superpowers
    ...............................................................................
    For the lulz and an occasional intelligent thought, plus pics:

http://musclemilkisnotaeuphemism.blogspot.com/

lil_terror is on a distinguished road. (+10) lil_terror is on a distinguished road. (+10) lil_terror is on a distinguished road. (+10) lil_terror is on a distinguished road. (+10) lil_terror is on a distinguished road. (+10) lil_terror is on a distinguished road. (+10) lil_terror is on a distinguished road. (+10) lil_terror is on a distinguished road. (+10) lil_terror is on a distinguished road. (+10) lil_terror is on a distinguished road. (+10) lil_terror is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    They actually put a slice of key lime pie in the blender, graham crust and all, along with the vanilla ice cream and milk and a dollop of whip cream. It's heaven. Probably 600 cals. I love dessert .
    ^^^ THIS sounds amazing! Love love key lime anything!

Lol! do NOT know everything

I think a bulk, even if it only lasts 6 weeks, would do you good. Maybe break you of your cardio and undershooting calories thing. If nothing else, it should give your metabolism a boost and help you discover your true maintenance. Which is totally believable at 2000+ calories.

So up the cals, pick a good routine, and go for it! Just lift heavy 4x a week, no cardio, and get up to about 2300 calories. As you've read, you shouldn't be thrown by big scale jumps, or bloating... just keep your head focused on what's going on in the gym.
    Sweet! This is just what I needed (and wanted!) to hear. Hmm, was definitely planning to do this for more than 6 weeks -- that would still be cool, right? Although I suppose that can always be a game time decision...

Hey, I just want to say welcome and congratulations on all your hard work. I looked at your photos and you look great! IMO, primed for a bulk .

I have never intentionally eaten to gain either, so I totally GET you there! I've only been at it since June 1st, and everyday I am kicking myself for not starting sooner. Time wasted, but lesson learned .

My maintenance is 1,900 and I am bulking on 2,150. I have a desk job and use 1.5 for my AF. I have 3 boys and it's a LOT of housework, cooking and cleaning. I rarely just lay around when off the clock.

I am not a fan of those body thingies. My family would flip . I'd wear one for a week for experimental purposes and that's it. I think you could gather the same information just by monitoring results; scale, mirror clothes and make adjustments accordingly.

So glad you are joining us, and you are right, FBM is "the bomb" in this thread.
    Thx! Knowing what your activity/#s is a helpful reference point too. SO excited! Tonight I eat, tomorrow morning I sleep (au revoir cardio, hooray!!), and tomorrow night I find out what a difference food makes in my gym time

Originally Posted by pwincessami View Post
    I am partially lactose intolerant so I cant have milkshakes:/
    Lactaidshake .

no bulk news. increased the cals yesterday. but am having a "i really want my colon back" days. gi issues are getting to me. i know some of you have your own issues (mausi and the bloating, freebird and the plethora of food allergies/intolerances/sensitivities, etc), so you know what it's like and how some days really f-ing suck.

Sweet! This is just what I needed (and wanted!) to hear. Hmm, was definitely planning to do this for more than 6 weeks -- that would still be cool, right? Although I suppose that can always be a game time decision...
    My 6 week comment was due to your reticence about bulking. It gives you an out should you mentally need such a thing

no bulk news. increased the cals yesterday. but am having a "i really want my colon back" days. gi issues are getting to me. i know some of you have your own issues (mausi and the bloating, freebird and the plethora of food allergies/intolerances/sensitivities, etc), so you know what it's like and how some days really f-ing suck.
    Hmm... sounds like "bulk" news to me

Seriously though, any change in diet can bring temporary bath room issues. Give your body time to adjust. Make sure you're neither under or overdoing the fiber.

Hmm... sounds like "bulk" news to me

Seriously though, any change in diet can bring temporary bath room issues. Give your body time to adjust. Make sure you're neither under or overdoing the fiber.
    oh, no, it's not temporary or a change at all. just one of those days where it hits me how much it sucks. i'm having a little pity party, i guess, and need to get over myself. am lucky. could have been so much worse. but still sucky.

oh, no, it's not temporary or a change at all. just one of those days where it hits me how much it sucks. i'm having a little pity party, i guess, and need to get over myself. am lucky. could have been so much worse. but still sucky.
    Oh! Duh! Your surgery!

Sometimes you just gotta smack me

MissFitness25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MissFitness25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MissFitness25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MissFitness25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MissFitness25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MissFitness25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MissFitness25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MissFitness25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MissFitness25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MissFitness25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MissFitness25 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

New to this ....

Hey all, due to recent illness and a condition that makes it difficult to gain weight, I have lost a lot of muscle. I went from about 110 lbs to 98 lbs and now I am around 105 lbs. I am 5"5. I eat around 2,000-2,500 calories but still have trouble putting on weight. I attached some photos. If anyone could give me any advice it would be appreciated. Should I post my current diet?
    Attached Images

Originally Posted by MissFitness25 View Post
    Hey all, due to recent illness and a condition that makes it difficult to gain weight, I have lost a lot of muscle. I went from about 110 lbs to 98 lbs and now I am around 105 lbs. I am 5"5. I eat around 2,000-2,500 calories but still have trouble putting on weight. I attached some photos. If anyone could give me any advice it would be appreciated. Should I post my current diet?
    Outside of sufficient protein and good fats, you can eat whatever you want. If you aren't gaining, then you do need to eat more every day. No more 2000 cal days. They all have to be high days. More of everything you're already eating if your safe food list is short.

You're not doing cardio. Right?

mausi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mausi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mausi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mausi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mausi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mausi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mausi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mausi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mausi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    That's me the majority of the time but you already know that. One day we can have a pity party together (if you ever come and visit your parents I'm the opposite though and have "i don't want my colon or small intestines" days

Oh! Duh! Your surgery!

Sometimes you just gotta smack me
    no need to to smack you, lol. didn't mention the surgery in the post (forgot) and no reason you'd remember. and, you're right that it could have easily been bulk-related.

it's just frustrating b/c i can't seem to figure out the triggers, and try to eat more binding foods that they've suggested, but have problems any time i eat or even drink (even just water).

no pain, though, so i shouldn't complain so much. try to suck it up most of the time, but some days it's just harder.

Originally Posted by MissFitness25 View Post
    ha, i just responded to your other thread, and mentioned this threadm suggesting you come and check it out. glad you already had. you posted your diet in the nutrition section, so you'll get enough advice there (as we've all said, you need more fat for sure, and we've suggested easy ways to get it, which will help increase your cals), and freebird is right that you just wanna make sure to get enough protein and fat, and then whatever you wanna eat is fine. did you check out the sticky on calculating cals and macro's? it'll help you figure out how much protein and fat you should aim for. i dunno if this means anything to you b/c everyone is different, but i stopped gaining on 2300 cals and just increased to almost 2400, so you might need more cals, particularly more than your lower end of the range. what are your workouts like? how's your appetite? would you be able to handle more food or would you rather find easy ways to increase cals that don't involve more food (like the healthy fats, non-ff dairy, no sf products, maybe drinking milk throughout the day, etc)?

Originally Posted by mausi79 View Post
    That's me the majority of the time but you already know that. One day we can have a pity party together (if you ever come and visit your parents I'm the opposite though and have "i don't want my colon or small intestines" days
    my old phone had the ultimate bloat picture. of a few days after i had surgery and drank 1/4 (literally, that's all) of an ensure. stomach was huge. but the pics didn't transfer over (gonna go to at and t and see if they cna do anything. everything else transferred). i never took pics when i had gastroporesis, but sort of imagine that pain is what you feel. i'm sorry, mausi. sucks to have constant, daily problems.

take.it.off is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) take.it.off is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) take.it.off is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) take.it.off is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) take.it.off is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) take.it.off is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) take.it.off is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) take.it.off is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) take.it.off is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) take.it.off is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) take.it.off is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hey everyone, just thought I'd share an update. I'm just creeping up on 3 months of bulking and I am doing pretty good mentally - considering I spend 1.3 years cutting down before this. I am reaching that point right now though where I am contemplating cutting back down, but I think I need to persevere and push through this lull to make the greatest gains.

As far as progress is concerned, I have gained nearly 20lbs. I know it sounds like a lot, but I don't look like I have (maybe looks like 7-10lbs). I have still maintained my vascularity and only now are some of my clothes too tight - which kind of sucks but it was bound to happen. I think this high number may be related to water and glycogen retention. Although I am noticing that my stomach is getting softer, so that kind of sucks. As for bodyfat%, I'm not too sure where I am at, but I wouldn't be surprised if I was 22% or 23% - but I have no idea.

The best part though has been my strength gains. In less than 2.5 months I've:
    - increased my squat by 60lbs
    - increased my stiff leg deadlift by 45lbs
    - increased my leg press by about 50lbs
    - increased my bench press by 20lbs
    - And increased each of my bicep, shoulder, tricep exercises by 10-15lbs with more reps/sets

So I am feeling really good about my strength. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has any advice for when to know when to stop...what makes this difficult is that it's the summer so I would love to look leaner, but I know that if I want to compete at the end of the year I need to put on adequate size. I just don't know how to tell without potentially doing a mini cut.

Thanks for the support ladies!!

i stopped gaining on 2300 cals and just increased to almost 2400
    I would love if this were to happen to me. I am having to pull in the reins at times on 2,150 .

I want MORE .

My bulking news: I am almost at the 3-week mark, during which I suffered from incredible bloating. It's been big....real big. I couldn't keep my hands off my belly......sort of like a pregnant woman caressing her belly, except I was completely freaked out. My 8-year-old would even stand next to me and find himself rubbing it and saying, "Mom, your belly is big." You guys should see my son's graduation pics.....my gut is huge ! I ALMOST cried, but then I used intellect over emotion and said to myself "this is part of the process" and trudged forward.

Don't know what happened, but I promise it's gone. Let's see if it stays gone. I am even "down" a pound on the scale. I know it's probably a combination of my body becoming accustomed to the increased cals, adjusting to less fiber, just got over TOM, and the baggage that comes with being peri/pre-menopausal. Having an enormous belly throughout the entire bulk would have been hard a challenge, but I probably would have proceeded.

Just putting my experience "out there" to hopefully lessen or reassure everyone that it's part of the process, at least for me .

I would love if this were to happen to me. I am having to pull in the reins at times on 2,150 .

I want MORE .

My bulking news: I am almost at the 3-week mark, during which I suffered from incredible bloating. It's been big....real big. I couldn't keep my hands off my belly......sort of like a pregnant woman caressing her belly, except I was completely freaked out. My 8-year-old would even stand next to me and find himself rubbing it and saying, "Mom, your belly is big." You guys should see my son's graduation pics.....my gut is huge ! I ALMOST cried, but then I used intellect over emotion and said to myself "this is part of the process" and trudged forward.

Don't know what happened, but I promise it's gone. Let's see if it stays gone. I am even "down" a pound on the scale. I know it's probably a combination of my body becoming accustomed to the increased cals, adjusting to less fiber, just got over TOM, and the baggage that comes with being peri/pre-menopausal. Having an enormous belly throughout the entire bulk would have been hard a challenge, but I probably would have proceeded.

Just putting my experience "out there" to hopefully lessen or reassure everyone that it's part of the process, at least for me .
    Great news!!!

Perimenopausal bloat was awful for me. No rhyme or reason with cycles either. And could last for weeks! Ginger tea helped me a lot. Thankfully that crap is behind me!

Great news!!!

Perimenopausal bloat was awful for me. No rhyme or reason with cycles either. And could last for weeks! Ginger tea helped me a lot. Thankfully that crap is behind me!
    Thanks. I was going to ask you, as I remembered you mentioned tea on a previous post.

I can't wait till this menopause thing is over. My sister is 11 years older than me and still has not lost her period and my mom had a total abdominal hysterectomy at a young-ish age, so I dunno what it's going to be like for me.