Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    OtisBecker will become famous soon enough. (+50) OtisBecker will become famous soon enough. (+50) OtisBecker will become famous soon enough. (+50) OtisBecker will become famous soon enough. (+50) OtisBecker will become famous soon enough. (+50) OtisBecker will become famous soon enough. (+50) OtisBecker will become famous soon enough. (+50) OtisBecker will become famous soon enough. (+50) OtisBecker will become famous soon enough. (+50) OtisBecker will become famous soon enough. (+50) OtisBecker will become famous soon enough. (+50)

HIIT vs LSS

I have followed the HIIT vs LSS arguments on this and other threads and it makes me wonder if the real effectiveness is to alternate between the two, in effect shock the body like we do with weight training cycles?? There are compelling arguments that support both types of cardio.

I cannot see a difference in MY progress on one type vs the other, The overriding difference seems to be the calorie deficit. then again, I am still about 30# away from my goal.

Otis
    "If man makes it, don't eat it" ---Jack Lalanne -----1914-2011 RIP

April 2010 (Fattest) - 300# 44% bodyfat Sept. 2011 224# 16% bodyfat

Lost 101# of fat and earned about 25# of muscle

SEX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SEX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SEX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SEX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SEX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SEX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SEX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SEX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SEX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SEX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SEX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by CStyles45 View Post
    What's everyones stance then on carb refeed days? Still necessary or no? I've been doing low carb but taking one day a week to load up on them. Any opinions welcome!
    Not necessary when targeting stubborn fat and because we are not talking about extremely low levels of carb intake. You should be able to structure your carb meals for pre and post work out easily.

Originally Posted by OtisBecker View Post
    I have followed the HIIT vs LSS arguments on this and other threads and it makes me wonder if the real effectiveness is to alternate between the two, in effect shock the body like we do with weight training cycles?? There are compelling arguments that support both types of cardio.

I cannot see a difference in MY progress on one type vs the other, The overriding difference seems to be the calorie deficit. then again, I am still about 30# away from my goal.

Otis
    There's no need to 'shock' your body.

By looking at your stats, it seems this stubborn fat method isn't suitable for you yet. With your current measurements, any form of cardio (along with calorie deficit) should serve you well in terms of fat loss.
    How to lose stubborn fat
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=127984543

Ozzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ozzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ozzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ozzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ozzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ozzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ozzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ozzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ozzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ozzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ozzee will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Great post man very helpful repped.

SEX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SEX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SEX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SEX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SEX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SEX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SEX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SEX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SEX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SEX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SEX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Ozzee View Post
    Great post man very helpful repped.
    Thank you
    How to lose stubborn fat

DavidHill76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DavidHill76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DavidHill76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DavidHill76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DavidHill76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DavidHill76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DavidHill76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DavidHill76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DavidHill76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DavidHill76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DavidHill76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    There seems to be a lot of questions about what low intensity cardio is and how long.

I believe that walking at a brisk pace is the optimal "Low intensity cardio"

So around 4.3-4.5 mph on the treadmill would be perfect.

I can't elaborate on what it would need to be for a stationary bike or the elliptical.

30-60 minutes is a long time, I couldn't handle walking for that long, so I would change it up by using the incline of adding in some walk/run time as well.

Of course supplementing this cardio with a weight training routine is going to give you the best results! (as long as you get your diet down)
    .:: Misc Cologne Crew ::.
    .: Misc Mario Brahs :.
    I rep back.

Completed MusclePharm log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=122861801

My site: www.frugalson.com

JeffR88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffR88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffR88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffR88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffR88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffR88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffR88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffR88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffR88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffR88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffR88 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by DavidHill76 View Post
    There seems to be a lot of questions about what low intensity cardio is and how long.

I can't elaborate on what it would need to be for a stationary bike or the elliptical.

30-60 minutes is a long time, I couldn't handle walking for that long, so I would change it up by using the incline of adding in some walk/run time as well.

Of course supplementing this cardio with a weight training routine is going to give you the best results! (as long as you get your diet down)

for burning cals: 1-30 min cardio session = 3-10min sessions. I would say just split it up if you get bored.
    virtue.

NASM - CPT

DenverTruong will become famous soon enough. (+50) DenverTruong will become famous soon enough. (+50) DenverTruong will become famous soon enough. (+50) DenverTruong will become famous soon enough. (+50) DenverTruong will become famous soon enough. (+50) DenverTruong will become famous soon enough. (+50) DenverTruong will become famous soon enough. (+50) DenverTruong will become famous soon enough. (+50) DenverTruong will become famous soon enough. (+50) DenverTruong will become famous soon enough. (+50) DenverTruong will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    so i should also eat low carbs on lifting days??

Originally Posted by DavidHill76 View Post

I believe I have already answered what constitutes low intensity cardio. Refer to the relevant post for a general guideline.

Originally Posted by JeffR88 View Post
    for burning cals: 1-30 min cardio session = 3-10min sessions. I would say just split it up if you get bored.
    I wouldn't split up the cardio sessions unless they are 30 minutes EACH. These longer sessions ensure that fat is totally mobilised and burned.

Originally Posted by DenverTruong View Post
    so i should also eat low carbs on lifting days??
    Yes, definitely. You will and should have carbs structured around your work out. Remember, chronic periods of low carb intake inhibits alpha-2-receptors and increase blood flow. What this means is that your diet should be low in carbs for extended periods (i.e. 4-5 days) in order to reap the benefits.
    How to lose stubborn fat

JustinPSherman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JustinPSherman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JustinPSherman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JustinPSherman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JustinPSherman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JustinPSherman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JustinPSherman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JustinPSherman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JustinPSherman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JustinPSherman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JustinPSherman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Awesome post man, very interesting. Great information to have when I'm down another 15lbs and wondering how to get the last 5 off!

DenverTruong will become famous soon enough. (+50) DenverTruong will become famous soon enough. (+50) DenverTruong will become famous soon enough. (+50) DenverTruong will become famous soon enough. (+50) DenverTruong will become famous soon enough. (+50) DenverTruong will become famous soon enough. (+50) DenverTruong will become famous soon enough. (+50) DenverTruong will become famous soon enough. (+50) DenverTruong will become famous soon enough. (+50) DenverTruong will become famous soon enough. (+50) DenverTruong will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    so what is consider low carbs?? 50g?

Originally Posted by JustinPSherman View Post
    Awesome post man, very interesting. Great information to have when I'm down another 15lbs and wondering how to get the last 5 off!
    Thanks, good luck to you!

so what is consider low carbs?? 50g?
    Less than 20% of your daily calories is considered low carbs. E.g. if your cutting diet consists of 1500 calories, 20% of those should be carbs. So 300 calories of carbs equate to 300/4 = 75g of carbs a day, which should be adequate for those who lift.
    How to lose stubborn fat

Originally Posted by SEX View Post
    Thanks, good luck to you!

Less than 20% of your daily calories is considered low carbs. E.g. if your cutting diet consists of 1500 calories, 20% of those should be carbs. So 300 calories of carbs equate to 300/4 = 75g of carbs a day, which should be adequate for those who lift.
    ok... got it. how about non lifting days?? and should i cut carbs in the evenings/night??

bradabing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bradabing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bradabing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've honestly never heard of LISS until now. I've been doing HIIT 3x a week and the energy I get from it is amazing, but it kills my shins and I'm sure it's horrible on the body overall. I'm actually looking forward to going slower for more results! Hah! Amazing. Great thread. Everyone needs to read it.
    "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. Now if you know what you're worth then go out and get what you're worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that and that ain't you! You're better than that!" - Rocky Balboa

ok... got it. how about non lifting days?? and should i cut carbs in the evenings/night??
    Same for non-lifting days. The timing of carb intake on those days is irrelevant, whereas carbs should be around your work out on lifting days.
    How to lose stubborn fat

Originally Posted by SEX View Post
    Same for non-lifting days. The timing of carb intake on those days is irrelevant, whereas carbs should be around your work out on lifting days.
    ok thanks a lot!! so when ppl are on cutting phase, what are they doing?? cutting carbs, calories, or increasing cardio??

ok thanks a lot!! so when ppl are on cutting phase, what are they doing?? cutting carbs, calories, or increasing cardio??
    Generally, 'cutting' phrases refer to cutting calories in order to lose weight. Cutting carbs and/or increasing cardio is up to the individual, but the incorporation of these two factors become increasingly important as your body fat gets lower and stubborn fat presents itself as a problem.
    How to lose stubborn fat

Ion26 is just really nice. (+1000) Ion26 is just really nice. (+1000) Ion26 is just really nice. (+1000) Ion26 is just really nice. (+1000) Ion26 is just really nice. (+1000) Ion26 is just really nice. (+1000) Ion26 is just really nice. (+1000) Ion26 is just really nice. (+1000) Ion26 is just really nice. (+1000) Ion26 is just really nice. (+1000) Ion26 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Im 5'7 150lbs. Ive been trying to mainly get rid of stomach fat with HIIT, should I switch to the low intensity stuff

Originally Posted by Ion26 View Post
    Im 5'7 150lbs. Ive been trying to mainly get rid of stomach fat with HIIT, should I switch to the low intensity stuff
    Yes
    How to lose stubborn fat

rountreesj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rountreesj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rountreesj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rountreesj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rountreesj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rountreesj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rountreesj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rountreesj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rountreesj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rountreesj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rountreesj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    would it be safe to say, if i eat just enough complex carbs for energy, but often,in small amounts with large amounts of protein, eating little to none, before a 40 minute slow cardio workout. And eat just enough for energy on heavy lifts, thus some progress can be made on size gains and cutting at the same time...?

Meskeet will become famous soon enough. (+50) Meskeet will become famous soon enough. (+50) Meskeet will become famous soon enough. (+50) Meskeet will become famous soon enough. (+50) Meskeet will become famous soon enough. (+50) Meskeet will become famous soon enough. (+50) Meskeet will become famous soon enough. (+50) Meskeet will become famous soon enough. (+50) Meskeet will become famous soon enough. (+50) Meskeet will become famous soon enough. (+50) Meskeet will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    im 5'8 170ish but skinny fat, would this method work for me? im hesitant to go into a calorie defecit

TshirtTime has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TshirtTime has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TshirtTime has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TshirtTime has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TshirtTime has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TshirtTime has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I have a lot of stubborn body fat on my hips, quads and butt as well as lower abs. A few months ago I was around 16-18% BF and lost 2 inches off my hips and dropped down to 12% bodyfat by going 3 days without carbs (and 45 mins-90 mins cardio) followed by moderate carbs every 4th day.

Unfortunately while my upper body got relatively lean and my abs were visible (I even lost the lower ab fat), my lower body was still "soft".

Since dropping down to 12%, I've put the fat back on in a 4-month span. I have the same goal as usual which is to lose as much stubborn fat as possible but I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to target that fat as much as possible?

I would wake up, apply "Eviscerate" to my lower body, walked for 45-90 minutes and then eat protein/fat for the rest of the day. While this helped me lose about 15-pounds, I only lost 2 inches from my hips.

Also, is "Eviscerate" even useful to a guy in my situation that is currently around 16-7% BF?

Originally Posted by rountreesj View Post
    would it be safe to say, if i eat just enough complex carbs for energy, but often,in small amounts with large amounts of protein, eating little to none, before a 40 minute slow cardio workout. And eat just enough for energy on heavy lifts, thus some progress can be made on size gains and cutting at the same time...?
    I don't really understand the first part of your question, and it seems like gaining size (I assume you mean muscle) and cutting (fat) at the same time is only possible for beginners or severely overweight people.

Originally Posted by Meskeet View Post
    im 5'8 170ish but skinny fat, would this method work for me? im hesitant to go into a calorie defecit
    Originally Posted by TshirtTime View Post
    I have a lot of stubborn body fat on my hips, quads and butt as well as lower abs. A few months ago I was around 16-18% BF and lost 2 inches off my hips and dropped down to 12% bodyfat by going 3 days without carbs (and 45 mins-90 mins cardio) followed by moderate carbs every 4th day.

Unfortunately while my upper body got relatively lean and my abs were visible (I even lost the lower ab fat), my lower body was still "soft".

Since dropping down to 12%, I've put the fat back on in a 4-month span. I have the same goal as usual which is to lose as much stubborn fat as possible but I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to target that fat as much as possible?

I would wake up, apply "Eviscerate" to my lower body, walked for 45-90 minutes and then eat protein/fat for the rest of the day. While this helped me lose about 15-pounds, I only lost 2 inches from my hips.

Also, is "Eviscerate" even useful to a guy in my situation that is currently around 16-7% BF?
    Come on guys, read first post.
    How to lose stubborn fat

HughNormus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HughNormus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HughNormus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HughNormus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HughNormus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HughNormus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HughNormus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HughNormus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HughNormus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HughNormus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HughNormus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Very interesting read. The new guy says, "Thanks."

Originally Posted by HughNormus View Post
    Very interesting read. The new guy says, "Thanks."
    Appreciated
    How to lose stubborn fat

bennyhanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How much weight can you loose per week?

to set a goal im wondering what is a good target of how many pounds i can aim to loose per/day or per/week.... (assuming clean diet and high cardio)

Originally Posted by bennyhanna View Post
    to set a goal im wondering what is a good target of how many pounds i can aim to loose per/day or per/week.... (assuming clean diet and high cardio)
    1 pound per week is a good target to aim for as you would want to preserve as much muscle mass as possible.
    How to lose stubborn fat

forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    any thoughts on when the LISS should be done? first thing in the morning?

and is it ok to eat your carbs after the LISS, or should you wait until later in the day (assuming non lifting day)?

Originally Posted by forcasa View Post
    any thoughts on when the LISS should be done? first thing in the morning?

and is it ok to eat your carbs after the LISS, or should you wait until later in the day (assuming non lifting day)?
    Exercise can be done any time of the day, but should be done on an empty stomach (2-3 hours after your last meal). Carb intake also any time of the day on non lifting days. If morning cardio is more convenient for you then you should do it.
    How to lose stubborn fat

martinelli is just really nice. (+1000) martinelli is just really nice. (+1000) martinelli is just really nice. (+1000) martinelli is just really nice. (+1000) martinelli is just really nice. (+1000) martinelli is just really nice. (+1000) martinelli is just really nice. (+1000) martinelli is just really nice. (+1000) martinelli is just really nice. (+1000) martinelli is just really nice. (+1000) martinelli is just really nice. (+1000)
    Sound advice! Lyle happens to recommend similar guidelines in his SFS book. Earlier in this thread, someone asked about HIIT vs. LISS. Yes, I believe both can be used toward the goal of stubborn fat loss. Milk the catecholamine release from HIIT, then actively oxidize the mobilized FFAs before they're re-esterified. This was the basis for transitioning to a more active approach to cutting (and not just dieting the weight off) during one's final stages, when compromised mobilization, blood flow, and oxidation all lead to the stubborn fat phenomenon.

As for the time of day to exercise; in my eyes, it largely doesn't matter. BUT, cortisol's circadian pattern suggests that there may be some benefit to being active during the wee hours, during which cortisol primarily acts as a lipolytic (as opposed to lipolytic & proteolytic) agent (please verify).

Yeah, the effect is likely negligible if we default to long-term energy balance. But for those wanting to tip all the scales in their favor, the idea is that giving these tiny little tweaks a try - the yohimbine/stimulants, the fasted morning HIIT/LISS, low-carb/IF diet - can't hurt.
    Ice Cream/Army Blog:
    http://martinber.blogspot.com/

Originally Posted by martinelli View Post
    Sound advice! Lyle happens to recommend similar guidelines in his SFS book. Earlier in this thread, someone asked about HIIT vs. LISS. Yes, I believe both can be used toward the goal of stubborn fat loss. Milk the catecholamine release from HIIT, then actively oxidize the mobilized FFAs before they're re-esterified. This was the basis for transitioning to a more active approach to cutting (and not just dieting the weight off) during one's final stages, when compromised mobilization, blood flow, and oxidation all lead to the stubborn fat phenomenon.

As for the time of day to exercise; in my eyes, it largely doesn't matter. BUT, cortisol's circadian pattern suggests that there may be some benefit to being active during the wee hours, during which cortisol primarily acts as a lipolytic (as opposed to lipolytic & proteolytic) agent (please verify).

Yeah, the effect is likely negligible if we default to long-term energy balance. But for those wanting to tip all the scales in their favor, the idea is that giving these tiny little tweaks a try - the yohimbine/stimulants, the fasted morning HIIT/LISS, low-carb/IF diet - can't hurt.
    Thanks for the post
    How to lose stubborn fat