Thread: Balance?

HesterW is on a distinguished road. (+10) HesterW is on a distinguished road. (+10) HesterW is on a distinguished road. (+10) HesterW is on a distinguished road. (+10) HesterW is on a distinguished road. (+10) HesterW is on a distinguished road. (+10) HesterW is on a distinguished road. (+10) HesterW is on a distinguished road. (+10) HesterW is on a distinguished road. (+10) HesterW is on a distinguished road. (+10) HesterW is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Balance?

What's a good way to build the core strength used to hold weight over your head (snatch, C&J, etc.)

powmongo will become famous soon enough. (+50) powmongo will become famous soon enough. (+50) powmongo will become famous soon enough. (+50) powmongo will become famous soon enough. (+50) powmongo will become famous soon enough. (+50) powmongo will become famous soon enough. (+50) powmongo will become famous soon enough. (+50) powmongo will become famous soon enough. (+50) powmongo will become famous soon enough. (+50) powmongo will become famous soon enough. (+50) powmongo will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Core strength...

Originally Posted by HesterW View Post
    What's a good way to build the core strength used to hold weight over your head (snatch, C&J, etc.)
    Kettlebells are excellent as many Olympic lifters still use them to build core strength. use dumbells if you don't have access to kettlebells but here is what my lifters do who have weak core....

shoulder a kettlebell with the bell on the outside of arm. maintain a straight posture and don't lean to the side while your holding the bell and walk about 30-40 feet staying upright the whole time. Switch to other arm and repeat 2-3 times. Believe me you will feel your core engaged in stabilizing the weight as you walk. another exercise is 3 way deadlifts with kettlebells. Place a pair of bells near your toes where a barbell would be before starting the lift. Maintain posture and bend down and grab one bell then stand, lower slowley and when the bell touches the ground let go and repeat with other arm, then lower and grab both and stand up. This whole series is 1 rep so try to do 2-3 reps. maintain posture and never allow yourself to lean to one side or lower them fast. You can also raise a pair over head and walk to strengthen the shoulders. Snatch grip presses in the squat position builds great strength and flexiblity for the shoulders. Squat with bar on back with a snatch grip and press overhead in the bottom then stand with arms locked out overhead. Lower it back down when you stand up..never when your at the bottom and repeat for 3-5 reps and add a little weight when you can.

HesterW is on a distinguished road. (+10) HesterW is on a distinguished road. (+10) HesterW is on a distinguished road. (+10) HesterW is on a distinguished road. (+10) HesterW is on a distinguished road. (+10) HesterW is on a distinguished road. (+10) HesterW is on a distinguished road. (+10) HesterW is on a distinguished road. (+10) HesterW is on a distinguished road. (+10) HesterW is on a distinguished road. (+10) HesterW is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by powmongo View Post
    Kettlebells are excellent as many Olympic lifters still use them to build core strength. use dumbells if you don't have access to kettlebells but here is what my lifters do who have weak core....

shoulder a kettlebell with the bell on the outside of arm. maintain a straight posture and don't lean to the side while your holding the bell and walk about 30-40 feet staying upright the whole time. Switch to other arm and repeat 2-3 times. Believe me you will feel your core engaged in stabilizing the weight as you walk. another exercise is 3 way deEadlifts with kettlebells. Place a pair of bells near your toes where a barbell would be before starting the lift. Maintain posture and bend down and grab one bell then stand, lower sloswley and when the bell touches the ground let go and repeat with other arm, then lower and grab both and stand up. This whole series is 1 rep so try to do 2-3 reps. maintain posture and never allow yourself to lean to one side or lower them fast. You can also raise a pair over head and walk to strengthen the sshoulders. Snatch grip presses in the squat position builds great strength and flexiblity for the shoulders. Squat with bar on back with a snatch grip and press overhead in the bottom then stand with arms locked out overhead. Lower it back down when you stand up..never when your at the bottom and repeat for 3-5 reps and add a little weight when you can.
    Thanks man. I'm trying to improve my clean and jerk. Cus I'm gonna weighift for my school. And i seem unstable when I jerk

c00lrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) c00lrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) c00lrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) c00lrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) c00lrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) c00lrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) c00lrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) c00lrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) c00lrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) c00lrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) c00lrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    leg raises, weighted sit ups on the decline, back extentions, planks, russian twists, and side raises(the one for your obliquess)
    Goals for 2010:
    95 kg SN
    125 CLJ
    220 total

slowman41 is a name known to all. (+5000) slowman41 is a name known to all. (+5000) slowman41 is a name known to all. (+5000) slowman41 is a name known to all. (+5000) slowman41 is a name known to all. (+5000) slowman41 is a name known to all. (+5000) slowman41 is a name known to all. (+5000) slowman41 is a name known to all. (+5000) slowman41 is a name known to all. (+5000) slowman41 is a name known to all. (+5000) slowman41 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    powmongo, wouldn't lowering it in the bottom be a sots press? or is that a controversial exercise?

Also to the OP, when doing overhead exercises like presses and jerks, hold the last rep overhead for 3-5 seconds before lowering. I can't remember if this was a Broz thing or someone else who said it, but good advice.
    Misc Strength Crew
    Russian Program Weightlifting log http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=707588271

powmongo will become famous soon enough. (+50) powmongo will become famous soon enough. (+50) powmongo will become famous soon enough. (+50) powmongo will become famous soon enough. (+50) powmongo will become famous soon enough. (+50) powmongo will become famous soon enough. (+50) powmongo will become famous soon enough. (+50) powmongo will become famous soon enough. (+50) powmongo will become famous soon enough. (+50) powmongo will become famous soon enough. (+50) powmongo will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Sots press....

Originally Posted by slowman41 View Post
    powmongo, wouldn't lowering it in the bottom be a sots press? or is that a controversial exercise?

Also to the OP, when doing overhead exercises like presses and jerks, hold the last rep overhead for 3-5 seconds before lowering. I can't remember if this was a Broz thing or someone else who said it, but good advice.
    I believe a sots press is a clean grip press off the shoulders in the bottom of a front squat. A snatch grip press in the squat position is different in that you press then stand and lower in standing position before sqauting again. This is what the Russian literature says to do. I believe lowering a bar to the back in a sqaut position is dangerous. Istvan Javorik has some similar exercises and says the same.
    Last edited by powmongo; 09-29-2010 at 01:16 PM. Reason: typo

vem som helst kan vinna! CelticTheTruth's Avatar
    CelticTheTruth is just really nice. (+1000) CelticTheTruth is just really nice. (+1000) CelticTheTruth is just really nice. (+1000) CelticTheTruth is just really nice. (+1000) CelticTheTruth is just really nice. (+1000) CelticTheTruth is just really nice. (+1000) CelticTheTruth is just really nice. (+1000) CelticTheTruth is just really nice. (+1000) CelticTheTruth is just really nice. (+1000) CelticTheTruth is just really nice. (+1000) CelticTheTruth is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by slowman41 View Post

sometimes when I get a new pr c&j I'll try to hold it overhead for aslong as I can. Usually 10 seconds or more. To OP: definetely do weighted ab exercises DAILY. You really can not overtrain your abs as long as you're doing weighted abs not that 5000rep crunch routine.
    And after you have performed a snatch, don't lower the bar but keep doing overhead squats, sometimes pause in the ATG position and hold then get back up.
    ☆☆☆MISC BOXING CREW☆☆☆
    FOUNDER of ♚♛Skåne CREW♛♚
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything

agvares is not very helpful. (-500) agvares is not very helpful. (-500) agvares is not very helpful. (-500) agvares is not very helpful. (-500) agvares is not very helpful. (-500) agvares is not very helpful. (-500) agvares is not very helpful. (-500) agvares is not very helpful. (-500) agvares is not very helpful. (-500) agvares is not very helpful. (-500) agvares is not very helpful. (-500)
    overhead squats are the best

Thanks guys I really appreciate it.
    Anyone know of any good videos on jerk form?
    The most important day of your life is today

You can't change yesterday, but you can use today to make tomorrow worthy.

B:300x1
    S:315x5