sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

low or high glycemic carbs after a workout?

I'm a bit confused about the post workout carbs. I personally use dextrose for post workout but some say that low glycemic carbs like oats are just as good or even better.
    But low glycemic carbs don't spike the insulin levels like high GI carbs which is needed to transport the amino acids into the muscles you've trained.
    So why should low GI carbs be better? Is there any advantage? Or should i combine low and high GI carbs in my post workout meal?

landonx91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) landonx91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) landonx91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) landonx91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) landonx91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) landonx91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) landonx91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) landonx91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) landonx91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) landonx91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) landonx91 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by sebbbi91 View Post
    I'm a bit confused about the post workout carbs. I personally use dextrose for post workout but some say that low glycemic carbs like oats are just as good or even better.
    But low glycemic carbs don't spike the insulin levels like high GI carbs which is needed to transport the amino acids into the muscles you've trained.
    So why should low GI carbs be better? Is there any advantage? Or should i combine low and high GI carbs in my post workout meal?
    I would combine low and high glycemic carbs such as oatmeal and bananas postworkout. Having dextrose vs. having oats will not make a difference, and imo oats will give you more desirable results.

High glycemic carbs are only necessary if you workout twice a day. Otherwise any carbs will do.

BobbyHeinz will become famous soon enough. (+50) BobbyHeinz will become famous soon enough. (+50) BobbyHeinz will become famous soon enough. (+50) BobbyHeinz will become famous soon enough. (+50) BobbyHeinz will become famous soon enough. (+50) BobbyHeinz will become famous soon enough. (+50) BobbyHeinz will become famous soon enough. (+50) BobbyHeinz will become famous soon enough. (+50) BobbyHeinz will become famous soon enough. (+50) BobbyHeinz will become famous soon enough. (+50) BobbyHeinz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    High GI my friend. Some folk argue it doesn't make a difference but I always play it safe and stick to some gatorade or jellybeans or something similar

Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Honestly I could sit here and cite many reputable sources that support either side. I like to eat a mix of the two myself. The problem with the GI itself is that it is based on a study in which participants consumed 50g of carbohydrates worth of ONLY the food being studied with no other food being eaten. So while it is true that some carb sources will be absorbed faster and cause a higher insulin response, it is horribly skewed information once you are eating an actual meal.

MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    A proper pre-WO meal is enough to elevate insulin levels many times above baseline for several hours, which is sufficient for anti-catabolic effects and transport of amino acids to muscle.

As far as carbs Post-WO...post-WO glycogen resynthesis is biphasic and the first phase immediately PWO is a rapid resynthesis that is completely insulin-independent. Any slow digesting carb source (milk, rice, potatoes, etc) is fine. It does not do you any benefit to have high GI carbs to spike insulin at this point, especially something like dextrose which is completely devoid of micronutrients, antioxidant, etc. found in whole foods. Steak & potatoes would be a better option.

samcanadian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samcanadian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samcanadian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samcanadian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samcanadian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samcanadian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samcanadian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samcanadian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samcanadian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samcanadian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samcanadian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The whole point of the high GI carbs is to flood your body with the insulin that you've been saving up all day because it'll act as the bus that delivers the AA's/Protein/Fun/love to your muscles blah blah blah. (Ideally)

I think it's probably fine that you're eating PERIOD after a workout, regardless of what it is. Don't buy too much into the insulin stuff...I can't imagine that the results you'll gain from it will be enough to make you glad you stressed this much about your post workout meal.

sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Thanks for the replies.
    My current post workout meal: - 30g whey
    - 300ml skimmed milk
    - 80g dextrose
    - 5g glutamine

Shall i replace the 80g dextrose for 50g of oats and 30g of dextrose?
    Would that be better?

samcanadian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samcanadian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samcanadian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samcanadian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samcanadian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samcanadian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samcanadian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samcanadian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samcanadian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samcanadian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samcanadian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thanks for the replies.
    My current post workout meal: - 30g whey
    - 300ml skimmed milk
    - 80g dextrose
    - 5g glutamine

Shall i replace the 80g dextrose for 50g of oats and 30g of dextrose?
    Would that be better?
    I think any kind of supplement for a post workout shake that ISN'T Whey protein is kind of a waste of money, considering there are far cheaper alternatives that you can get naturally in foods instead.

Drop the glutamine and dextrose and just use oats, I'd say...

Originally Posted by MikeK46 View Post
    A proper pre-WO meal is enough to elevate insulin levels many times above baseline for several hours, which is sufficient for anti-catabolic effects and transport of amino acids to muscle.

As far as carbs Post-WO...post-WO glycogen resynthesis is biphasic and the first phase immediately PWO is a rapid resynthesis that is completely insulin-independent. Any slow digesting carb source (milk, rice, potatoes, etc) is fine. It does not do you any benefit to have high GI carbs to spike insulin at this point, especially something like dextrose which is completely devoid of micronutrients, antioxidant, etc. found in whole foods. Steak & potatoes would be a better option.
    The dextrose i take has a multivitamin-complex.

[QUOTE=samcanadian;553572853]I think any kind of supplement for a post workout shake that ISN'T Whey protein is kind of a waste of money, considering there are far cheaper alternatives that you can get naturally in foods instead.

Drop the glutamine and dextrose and just use oats, I'd say...[/QUOTE

Ok i'll try that.

ayetj727 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've always been wondering this same thing sometimes after a workout I'll eat poptarts with my protein shake bc of the high GI of the poptarts and the insulin spike that comes w/ it but other times I'll have a full meal alongside my protein shake and I'm trying to find the proper balance (if there is one) between the two.

forresterac is a name known to all. (+5000) forresterac is a name known to all. (+5000) forresterac is a name known to all. (+5000) forresterac is a name known to all. (+5000) forresterac is a name known to all. (+5000) forresterac is a name known to all. (+5000) forresterac is a name known to all. (+5000) forresterac is a name known to all. (+5000) forresterac is a name known to all. (+5000) forresterac is a name known to all. (+5000) forresterac is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Personally, I only drink frozen post workout shakes and a cold dinner after my workout because I've heard the extra thermic affect of food from your body having to heat it up to digest is continues the fat burning process and boosts metabolism long after your workout. Just my 2 cents.

BeauFlexington is a name known to all. (+5000) BeauFlexington is a name known to all. (+5000) BeauFlexington is a name known to all. (+5000) BeauFlexington is a name known to all. (+5000) BeauFlexington is a name known to all. (+5000) BeauFlexington is a name known to all. (+5000) BeauFlexington is a name known to all. (+5000) BeauFlexington is a name known to all. (+5000) BeauFlexington is a name known to all. (+5000) BeauFlexington is a name known to all. (+5000) BeauFlexington is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ayetj727 View Post
    I've always been wondering this same thing sometimes after a workout I'll eat poptarts with my protein shake bc of the high GI of the poptarts and the insulin spike that comes w/ it but other times I'll have a full meal alongside my protein shake and I'm trying to find the proper balance (if there is one) between the two.
    Originally Posted by forresterac View Post
    Personally, I only drink frozen post workout shakes and a cold dinner after my workout because I've heard the extra thermic affect of food from your body having to heat it up to digest is continues the fat burning process and boosts metabolism long after your workout. Just my 2 cents.
    If you guys read some stickies about stuff that actually matters, rather than wasting time on old dead threads of inconsequential minutiae, you improve your chances of leaving the Land of The Emaciated Camp Prisoners by at least eleventy-hundred percent.

forresterac is a name known to all. (+5000) forresterac is a name known to all. (+5000) forresterac is a name known to all. (+5000) forresterac is a name known to all. (+5000) forresterac is a name known to all. (+5000) forresterac is a name known to all. (+5000) forresterac is a name known to all. (+5000) forresterac is a name known to all. (+5000) forresterac is a name known to all. (+5000) forresterac is a name known to all. (+5000) forresterac is a name known to all. (+5000)
    [QUOTE=BeauFlexington;1342516201]If you guys read some stickies about stuff that actually matters, rather than wasting time on old dead threads of inconsequential minutiae, you improve your chances of leaving the Land of The Emaciated Camp Prisoners by at least eleventy-hundred percent.[/QUOTEF]

Francis, I can only presume it is exhausting pouring through inconsequential threads of minutiae and handing down such extensive knowledge as "read the stickies", therefore I can forgive your math error of "eleventy-hundred percent". While your miscalculation of my emaciated camp prisoner potential is a minor oversight, it appears this burden is having an even greater affect on your sense of humor.