Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Why is diet soda bad for you? (Srs)

Please respect the serious tag.
    I'm currently trying to find research or articles that show why exactly diet soda is bad for you... but most are ridden with bro-science like you would find here.
    "Aspartame causes cancer."
    "Artificial sweeteners are the debil."

But after reading into the ingredients of Diet Dr Pepper (my soda of choice), the only negatives of drinking diet soda are,
    1) The artificial sweeteners increase appetite and sugar cravings. (But if you can control these... what's the problem?)
    2) There are no nutritional benefits from drinking diet soda. (But there is nothing in it that will kill you either.)
    3) People with Phenylketonuria shouldn't drink it because aspartame breaks down into many different things, one of which is phenylalanine.

So, can any miscers find me proof as to why diet soda is bad? Please don't quote an article from yahoo answers with Ms. Sally Broscience saying that aspartame causes cancer, because it does not.

Cliffs:
    Diet soda tastes great.
    Can anyone PROVE it's bad for you?
    No Broscience.
    FGC Crew | MFC OG

shenmuefan is not very well liked. (-100) shenmuefan is not very well liked. (-100) shenmuefan is not very well liked. (-100) shenmuefan is not very well liked. (-100) shenmuefan is not very well liked. (-100) shenmuefan is not very well liked. (-100) shenmuefan is not very well liked. (-100) shenmuefan is not very well liked. (-100) shenmuefan is not very well liked. (-100) shenmuefan is not very well liked. (-100) shenmuefan is not very well liked. (-100)
    1.) Salt
    2.) Aspartame DOES cause cancer and it has been clinically proven

Also, Diet Soda is NOT calorie free. It has like 0.5 calories per can, so technically if you add that up overtime you CAN build up some calories from it. The same thing goes with water - water has calories but it's so minimal, but it DOES have it.

Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saucen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by shenmuefan View Post
    1.) Salt

Also, Diet Soda is NOT calorie free. It has like 0.5 calories per can, so technically if you add that up overtime you CAN build up some calories from it. The same thing goes with water - water has calories but it's so minimal, but it DOES have it.
    1) My salt intake is in check.
    2) Amazing proof you provided. Its funny how most articles say that aspartame causing cancer is a hoax that most people believe... and here you are posting just that.
    FGC Crew | MFC OG

ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    1.) Salt

Wow. Just... Wow.
    "Nutrition for powerlifting: If you are serious about it, you will eat f*cking everything and get strong as $hit." - HamburgerTrain
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=163165741

Jorge0886 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jorge0886 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jorge0886 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jorge0886 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jorge0886 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jorge0886 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jorge0886 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jorge0886 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jorge0886 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jorge0886 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jorge0886 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I've always heard, coincidentally from my BIO teach yesterday, that it takes a LARGE amount of Aspartame to even have a chance of getting cancer from it.

I think when people worry about something as small as 1 diet soda that it's pretty ridiculous.

shenmuefan is not very well liked. (-100) shenmuefan is not very well liked. (-100) shenmuefan is not very well liked. (-100) shenmuefan is not very well liked. (-100) shenmuefan is not very well liked. (-100) shenmuefan is not very well liked. (-100) shenmuefan is not very well liked. (-100) shenmuefan is not very well liked. (-100) shenmuefan is not very well liked. (-100) shenmuefan is not very well liked. (-100) shenmuefan is not very well liked. (-100)
    1.) Google.com
    2.) Type "aspartame cancer"
    3.) Hit Enter
    4.) Read and educate
    5.) /thread

jchilders04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jchilders04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jchilders04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jchilders04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jchilders04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jchilders04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jchilders04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jchilders04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jchilders04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jchilders04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jchilders04 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    1.) Salt

But cant you microwave it, to kill the aspartame?

or only carbs?

Sorry OP, to be serious i've also looked into this, people have told me that it causes sugar/apetite cravings, but i've always kept these in check, so i never worried about it.

1.) Google.com
    3.) Hit Enter
    4.) Read and educate
    5.) /thread
    I think you should do the same thing first, then come back into my thread and try and do exactly what i asked in the OP... which is provide proof.
    Okay, yes, aspartame is shown to have negative side effects... but that's if you're to drink upwards of 25 cans of soda a day. I'll admit that. I read that too.
    But comeone bro, i'm talking one soda... i didn't need to be so specific did I?
    So, now that we're talking about 1 diet dr pepper, please provide proof.
    FGC Crew | MFC OG

I already did provide proof. If you go to google and search aspartame cancer it will yeild 565,000 results. How much more do you want!

DAVIDNR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Diet Coke

I drink it daily. I have never found any scientific proof that it's bad. I have excellent results from blood work. Been lifting for 30 years, been drinking diet coke for 20, perfect health. It will make you crave carbs at night but if you drink lots of water you will not notice any changes. Enjoy it because it's hard to find things in this sport that you can consume with so few calories and that you enjoy.

Originally Posted by Lison View Post
    Please respect the serious tag.
    I'm currently trying to find research or articles that show why exactly diet soda is bad for you... but most are ridden with bro-science like you would find here.
    "Aspartame causes cancer."
    "Artificial sweeteners are the debil."

But after reading into the ingredients of Diet Dr Pepper (my soda of choice), the only negatives of drinking diet soda are,
    1) The artificial sweeteners increase appetite and sugar cravings. (But if you can control these... what's the problem?)
    2) There are no nutritional benefits from drinking diet soda. (But there is nothing in it that will kill you either.)
    3) People with Phenylketonuria shouldn't drink it because aspartame breaks down into many different things, one of which is phenylalanine.

So, can any miscers find me proof as to why diet soda is bad? Please don't quote an article from yahoo answers with Ms. Sally Broscience saying that aspartame causes cancer, because it does not.

Cliffs:
    Diet soda tastes great.
    Can anyone PROVE it's bad for you?
    No Broscience.

MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    That's because it is bro-science. Diet soda is harmless in moderation, and no one knows what the downsides are of massively mega-dosing artificial sweeteners over a period of many years. If someone wants to drink a few gallons of diet soda a day for a few decades, though, there may be more serious issues they need to worry about first.

jchilders04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jchilders04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jchilders04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jchilders04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jchilders04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jchilders04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jchilders04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jchilders04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jchilders04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jchilders04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jchilders04 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I already did provide proof. If you go to google and search aspartame cancer it will yeild 565,000 results. How much more do you want!
    lollercakes:

did search -
    first result -
    http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/f...risk/aspartame

"A study of about half a million people, published in 2006, compared people who drank aspartame-containing beverages with those who did not. Results of the study showed that increasing levels of consumption were not associated with any risk of lymphomas, leukemias, or brain cancers in men or women"

Originally Posted by jchilders04 View Post
    lollercakes:

did search -
    first result -

"A study of about half a million people, published in 2006, compared people who drank aspartame-containing beverages with those who did not. Results of the study showed that increasing levels of consumption were not associated with any risk of lymphomas, leukemias, or brain cancers in men or women"
    Lol, well done.
    FGC Crew | MFC OG

MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000)
    1) salt
    ~35mg sodium per can. Sodium consumption is a problem when it goes over 5 or 10 grams a day. How much pop do you intend to drink ? It would take 2 dozen cans a day to even add a statistically significant amount.

Utter & complete crap. Urban myth.

Now you really are taking the p155.

Half a calorie per can.

How many calories do you expend walking to the fridge, opening the can, lifting it to your mouth 25 times, then getting up and going for a slash half an hour later ?

For fcuk sake, can we have some common fcuking sense here

MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by jchilders04 View Post
    lollercakes:

did search -
    first result -
    Beat me to it..
    bstrd

Originally Posted by MajorTwang View Post
    Beat me to it..
    bstrd
    win.

A can of diet pop is 0.5 calories. Two is 1 calorie. Four is two calories. For Joe Schmoe that drinks 12 cans of diet pop per day (average) that is 6 calories. Doing that everyday is 180 calories per month (averaging 30 days per month). Over a year that is 2,160 - almost one pound of FAT. Over a ten year period that is 21,600 calories, approx. 6 pounds. Tell me I did just not own the above poster.

If you Google "Lady GaGa is a man" you get 75,600,000 results - but she still has a cameltoe.

that which has emerged Alan David's Avatar
    Alan David will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alan David will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alan David will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alan David will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alan David will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alan David will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alan David will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alan David will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alan David will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alan David will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alan David will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you Google "Lady GaGa is a man" you get 75,600,000 results - but she still has a cameltoe.
    That's only IF I google Lady GaGa, though.
    "The two kinds of people, on earth I mean, are the people who lift and the people who lean."

Scooter4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Scooter4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Scooter4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Scooter4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Scooter4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Scooter4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Scooter4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Scooter4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Scooter4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Scooter4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Scooter4 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    1.) Salt

LMAO, I hope to god you are kidding.

Either way, enjoy being red.
    My Workout Log (NEW): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136142601
    My Website (IMPROVED): www.ScootersFitnessBlog.com

A can of diet pop is 0.5 calories. Two is 1 calorie. Four is two calories. For Joe Schmoe that drinks 12 cans of diet pop per day (average) that is 6 calories. Doing that everyday is 180 calories per month (averaging 30 days per month). Over a year that is 2,160 - almost one pound of FAT. Over a ten year period that is 21,600 calories, approx. 6 pounds. Tell me I did just not own the above poster.
    Okay - I'll play along because you're quite obviously playing silly buggers.

Riddle me this. I've recently come back from a very long (~10 years) layoff from training.

I've just had a flick through my diaries. On 17th May 2002, I weighed 176lb. On 12th July 2010, the day that I started training & found myself immersed once more in this bat5h1t insane lifestyle, I weighed 176lb. In the whole of that 8 years, I don't think I went over 180 or under 170.

Are you trying to tell me that over 8 years, my cumulative calorie intake has matched my cumulative calorie expenditure to within a few thousand calories ?

Have I really managed to match my average daily intake to my average daily expenditure to within one calorie per day ?

jagdbody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jagdbody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    HAHAHA OWN! That she does bro.

paulgnc24 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) paulgnc24 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) paulgnc24 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) paulgnc24 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) paulgnc24 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) paulgnc24 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) paulgnc24 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) paulgnc24 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) paulgnc24 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) paulgnc24 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) paulgnc24 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    actually aspartame can't cause any problems unless you take it in mega doses. like having 6 cans of diet stuff a day.

Well judging by this table:
    130 to 140 pounds - 3.5 calories burned per minute
    145 to 155 pounds - 4.0 calories burned per minute
    160 to 170 pounds - 4.5 calories burned per minute
    175 to185 pounds - 5.0 calories burned per minute
    190 to 200 pounds - 5.5 calories burned per minute

Between walking to the fridge, opening to the pop, and walking back to the couch, he is burning around 5.0 calories, we'll see he's walking super slow, and has his little sister open the can for him, so he burned 2.5 calories. So by the time he actually drinks the diet soda, he's already burned off the calories he's about to intake. So no, you did own the above poster.

EDIT: Sorry OP, going off on tangents. End story: I'd warrant you're alright.
    Last edited by jchilders04; 09-23-2010 at 01:05 PM.

seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    1.) Salt
    Sodium is essential to cellular functionality. Aspartame causes cancer when ingested in quantities equal to 1g aspartame per KG of bodyweight. About 180mg of it is in a can of soda.

I weigh about 195 lbs, or 88 kgs. 88 grams of aspartame is 488 cans of soda. In a day.
    A million miles away - I don't.. feel.... anything.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXGZu4yxjW0

seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    1.) Google.com
    3.) Hit Enter
    4.) Read and educate
    5.) /thread
    Lol @ alarmism threads. If I can google it, it must be fact.

Also, are you vegan?
    A million miles away - I don't.. feel.... anything.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXGZu4yxjW0

Originally Posted by seanb1979 View Post

Also, are you vegan?
    Lol

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by seanb1979 View Post

Also, are you vegan?
    Google "aliens end of the world"
    Don't know bout you , but I'M getting ready....

Originally Posted by desslok View Post
    Google "aliens end of the world"
    Don't know bout you , but I'M getting ready....

already have stockpile in basement, +reps.

gottalift78 is just really nice. (+1000) gottalift78 is just really nice. (+1000) gottalift78 is just really nice. (+1000) gottalift78 is just really nice. (+1000) gottalift78 is just really nice. (+1000) gottalift78 is just really nice. (+1000) gottalift78 is just really nice. (+1000) gottalift78 is just really nice. (+1000) gottalift78 is just really nice. (+1000) gottalift78 is just really nice. (+1000) gottalift78 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I think you should do the same thing first, then come back into my thread and try and do exactly what i asked in the OP... which is provide proof.
    Okay, yes, aspartame is shown to have negative side effects... but that's if you're to drink upwards of 25 cans of soda a day. I'll admit that. I read that too.
    But comeone bro, i'm talking one soda... i didn't need to be so specific did I?
    So, now that we're talking about 1 diet dr pepper, please provide proof.
    there are studies that show its harmful, other studies that show it's okay. For me, if there is a 50 / 50 debate on this, I will just chose not to drink it.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration says an intake of 50 milligrams of aspartame per 2.2 pounds of body weight per day is acceptable. Aspartame levels in a 12 ounce can of diet soda are close to 225 milligrams. One packet of Equal provides 35 milligrams of aspartame

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/22...#ixzz10O4mmwYl
    If you're absent during my struggle, don't expect to be present during my success.