rodneywild has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Timing of junk load

Does anyone have recommendations as to how soon one should start a junk load after cutting water? For example, if I cut water at 6:00 PM, when should I be able to junk load without concern for spilling over?

tuxedoman34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tuxedoman34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tuxedoman34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tuxedoman34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tuxedoman34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tuxedoman34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tuxedoman34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tuxedoman34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tuxedoman34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tuxedoman34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tuxedoman34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    there is no specific answer bro. I would start incorporating junk friday and saturday....no earlier or you can spill if not timed right.

Saturday put jelly on everything....eat a few candy bars before pump up prejudging and finals...some people need a lot of food to fill out. If you feel flatter in the morning....go eat a cheeseburger and fries after prejudging maybe some pizza. At night eat a few candy bars get a good pump before you hit the stage again.

it's all about self evaluation.....go by how you're looking.

the leaner you are the more carbs and junk you can load on and look fine.
    Last edited by tuxedoman34; 09-22-2010 at 05:50 PM.

Pro Natural Bodybuilder AustrianOakJr's Avatar
    AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Junk loading is a risky way to load and then add the fact that you are cutting water = REALLY not a good idea. When junk loading you have no real idea of what you are taking in which makes it very hard to judge when/if you will spill.....and if by some stroke of luck you hit your peak its not easily repeatable for your next comp. Then add the fact that you are cutting water and you probably wont fill out anyways....and cramp.....and not feel very well at all.

If you are set on junk loading, I would take a look at some of skip hill's protocols......he calls it "skip"loading but it has a number of controls and he doesnt cut water.
    "Who the Son sets free is free indeed....."

WNBF Pro Natural Bodybuilder

Check out my CELLUCOR Supplement log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148746693&pagenumber=

3DMJ Athlete

Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Never even heard of 'junk loading'

Serious just eat processed junk food to carb up?

I wouldn't take that risk, you diet for 10-12 weeks then blow it by messing up your body with preservatives and chemicals in foods in the last 2 days.

I would stick to the basics.
    Reverse Dieting from Low bodyfat and Bulking log > http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154107931

Time to get Shredded again, 2015 > http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=164833121

SupaaJ is a name known to all. (+5000) SupaaJ is a name known to all. (+5000) SupaaJ is a name known to all. (+5000) SupaaJ is a name known to all. (+5000) SupaaJ is a name known to all. (+5000) SupaaJ is a name known to all. (+5000) SupaaJ is a name known to all. (+5000) SupaaJ is a name known to all. (+5000) SupaaJ is a name known to all. (+5000) SupaaJ is a name known to all. (+5000) SupaaJ is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Devils View Post
    Never even heard of 'junk loading'

Serious just eat processed junk food to carb up?

I wouldn't take that risk, you diet for 10-12 weeks then blow it by messing up your body with preservatives and chemicals in foods in the last 2 days.

I would stick to the basics.
    You've never heard of a bb'er eating a few slices of pizza or a subway meatball prior to the stage? I think you should read a bit more.

I agree, junk loading can be tricky. I just like it because many guys don't get the truly full and vascular look on just carb loading. You need that salt and fat to do the final trick.

Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BrbAtTheGym View Post
    You've never heard of a bb'er eating a few slices of pizza or a subway meatball prior to the stage? I think you should read a bit more.

I agree, junk loading can be tricky. I just like it because many guys don't get the truly full and vascular look on just carb loading. You need that salt and fat to do the final trick.
    Awesome, looks like I may get my massive chocolate fix before I go on stage.
    Reverse Dieting from Low bodyfat and Bulking log > http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154107931

Time to get Shredded again, 2015 > http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=164833121

AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by BrbAtTheGym View Post

Junkloading, sh*tloading, etc is more than just having a meatball sub prior to the stage. Most guys will that do a traditional carb load will also take in sodium and fat just prior to the stage. Usually, sh*tloading refers to the process of just about binging on fast food, candy, cakes, etc the night before or the morning of the show without any attention to quantity of macro nutrients. And it does work especially if you have the ability to handle a massive carb load. The problem is that its way too dicey for me to consider risking months of dieting on the very real possibility that I might spill. If I know how many carbs I can process, its much more accurate to count as you load......sure, you are still going to get some fats and sodium in prior to the stage but that is all part of the plan. Sh+tloading is really the absence of a plan......its just eating.

3DMJ Athlete

simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I wouldn't load with anything I haven't been eating regularly during my prep...or if your are going to load "junk", do a couple of run throughs several weeks out to see you react. The last week is a little risky to try new things......too little to gain and too much to lose.
    Athletic Xtreme Sponsored Athlete-TEAM AX
    Quest Protein Bar Athlete
    Nutrient Sciences/Kymera Energy Rep
    2012 Team Universe MW Champion
    Member Team USA 2012 IFBB Worlds-Ecuador

db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by rodneywild View Post
    Does anyone have recommendations as to how soon one should start a junk load after cutting water? For example, if I cut water at 6:00 PM, when should I be able to junk load without concern for spilling over?
    Their are so many factors on when to start the junk load. I won't get too into that, but I will say that myself personally and most of the guys I train I will have load anywhere from Fri 3pm, to the following early AM (4-5AM SAT). This is based on an 8am Sat deadline. I think on avg most though would be around 6-8pm Fri. But again this is all based on if you properly controlled your water levels on target.
    *Muscle-Tech & Vitargo Sponsored*
    - www.ApexDiets.com - Online Personal Training - Designing Customized Workouts, Diets, Meal Plans, Cardio, Core, and Supplement routines with Unlimited Support since 2002
    - Email: Dave@ApexContestPrep.com

Originally Posted by db2012 View Post
    Their are so many factors on when to start the junk load. I won't get too into that, but I will say that myself personally and most of the guys I train I will have load anywhere from Fri 3pm, to the following early AM (4-5AM SAT). This is based on an 8am Sat deadline. I think on avg most though would be around 6-8pm Fri. But again this is all based on if you properly controlled your water levels on target.
    How do you calculate water levels to be on target?

3DMJ Athlete

rodneywild has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks so much to everyone who has responded. I have junk loaded in the past, eating a large ham and cheese omelet, hash browns, and a stack of pancakes smothered in butter and syrup for breakfast at 6:00 AM, and then reeses peanut butter cups every couple of hours until prejudging at 12:00. This has resulted in good fullness and vascularity, but like everyone else I'm always looking for more. This is not a major show, so I don't mind experimenting a bit. Below I have listed my plan going into the last two weeks:

I am doing full body carb depletion monday and tuesday, reduced tension workouts (1-2 x 6-8 per body part) on thursday and saturday, and a full body carb depletiion workout at half volume on tuesday. Carbs at 100 grams/day monday through the next monday, carb load following tuesday's depletion workout and wednesday, reducing carbs on thursday and friday.

Monday: Full depletion, 2000 kcals (100 grams carbs), 45 minutes cardio (500 kcals).

Tuesday: Same as monday.

Wednesday: 2000 kcals (100 grams carbs), 45 minutes cardio (500 kcals)

Thursday: Short tension workout, kcals and cardio same as above.

Friday: Same as wednesday.

Saturday: Short tension workout, 2000 kcals (100 grams carbs), no cardio from here on out.

Sunday: 2000 kcals (100 grams carbs).

Monday: 2000 kcals (100 grams carbs). Increase H20 and NA.

Tuesday: Half carb depletion workout, carb load as per Ultimate Diet 2.0. Keep H2O and NA high.

Wednesday: Finish carb load. Keep H2O and NA high.

Thursday: Reduce Kcals to 2400 (200 grams carbs). Reduce NA.

Friday: 2400 Kcals (150 grams carbs). Cut H2O 6:00 PM. Cheesecake or ice cream at 11:00 PM.

Saturday: Contest day, prejudging at 12:00 PM, evening show at 7:00 PM. French toast, eggs, donuts, hash browns for breakfast (6:00 AM). Reeses Peanut Butter Cups periodically between breakfast and prejudging. H2O depending on how flat or full I look after breakfast.

scoobysnacks is just really nice. (+1000) scoobysnacks is just really nice. (+1000) scoobysnacks is just really nice. (+1000) scoobysnacks is just really nice. (+1000) scoobysnacks is just really nice. (+1000) scoobysnacks is just really nice. (+1000) scoobysnacks is just really nice. (+1000) scoobysnacks is just really nice. (+1000) scoobysnacks is just really nice. (+1000) scoobysnacks is just really nice. (+1000) scoobysnacks is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you are dried out meaning all water has passed it can work fine. So Id start Sat morning VERY ealry talking 5am so you arent bloated. The bitch is you need some water back to fill out from all those carbs sodium and fats. Thats the real trick, how much to put back. i suggest 10-12 oz with the breakfast of junk. Then assess yourself and see if that was enough. Then do 10 oz at a time assessing how you look. Ive done this for warm up shows when I had a cheat meal planned anyways, and its worked just fine, its the water issue that will get you and going this route you will need to keep it controlled all day. Most I find are scared to put enough back because of that fine line mentioned above.
    Scivation Sponsored Athlete: http://scivation.com/teamscivation/jasontheobald.htm
    www.nattynutrition.com
    www.physiquetalk.com

Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by scoobysnacks View Post
    If you are dried out meaning all water has passed it can work fine. So Id start Sat morning VERY ealry talking 5am so you arent bloated. The bitch is you need some water back to fill out from all those carbs sodium and fats. Thats the real trick, how much to put back. i suggest 10-12 oz with the breakfast of junk. Then assess yourself and see if that was enough. Then do 10 oz at a time assessing how you look. Ive done this for warm up shows when I had a cheat meal planned anyways, and its worked just fine, its the water issue that will get you and going this route you will need to keep it controlled all day. Most I find are scared to put enough back because of that fine line mentioned above.
    +1^^^^

All that sounds like a safe plan and should work.

I personally start carbing up slowly Thurs afternoon right after my last depletion workout and then continue to slowly carb all Fri with no workout then crap load early Sat morning. Then rest and let everything digest until prejudge. I never completely cut water but I usually reduce Fri and Sat from my usual 4L/day.

I would only suggest this if you've had to time to experiment and try it in the past. If you don't know how much to eat and how long to wait then you're really rolling the dice. This is the main reason I like to get the fat loss down early in my prep and be almost stage ready 2-4 wks ahead of time.
    My $0.02 is worth $0.03