My first fig comp 10-2! trish123's Avatar
    trish123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) trish123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) trish123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) trish123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) trish123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) trish123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) trish123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) trish123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) trish123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) trish123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) trish123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

first figure comp - PWO nutrition question

My first figure comp is a natural show in 2 weeks. My nutrition question is this: What do you eat pre-workout after you've cut out the carbs? Previously I would have a banana and a protein shake (w water) and a few oats. Curious about how do you fuel your workout at this stage in the game. It's an NANBF show and I'm competing in the novice and beginner classes. tia
    ====================================
    It's lunchtime at corporate America.... Get off your as* and lift!

SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Probably would go with eggs or chicken, just a protein of some sort. At this point you're probably just running on fumes anyways, maybe some caffeine.

Good luck!

Glutes... they are back Cumulonimbus's Avatar
    Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Why cut the carbs out in the first place?
    Just a weight lifter

trish123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) trish123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) trish123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) trish123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) trish123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) trish123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) trish123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) trish123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) trish123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) trish123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) trish123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Cumulonimbus View Post
    Why cut the carbs out in the first place?
    I'm learning this is a debatable tactic.

I was working with a sports nutrioninst for contest prep, and he's gone AWOL. So now I"m working with my figure coach, who's a figure pro and does the very strict no carbs pre-contest thing.

As a novice, I figure my options are to either take advice from someone else, or follow best practices while understanding my body's needs. If I were doing the latter I'd reduce carbs but not omit them totally, just based on how I feel mentally.

Team Boss Barbell Club Rsardinia's Avatar
    Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by trish123 View Post
    I'm learning this is a debatable tactic.

I was working with a sports nutrioninst for contest prep, and he's gone AWOL. So now I"m working with my figure coach, who's a figure pro and does the very strict no carbs pre-contest thing.

As a novice, I figure my options are to either take advice from someone else, or follow best practices while understanding my body's needs. If I were doing the latter I'd reduce carbs but not omit them totally, just based on how I feel mentally.
    No carbs 2 weeks out seems like a stretch. I could see that working maybe the first part of peak week but whatevers clever. Just get some caffeine in you and some meat or something since that's really your only option.

OnTheRoad is on a distinguished road. (+10) OnTheRoad is on a distinguished road. (+10) OnTheRoad is on a distinguished road. (+10) OnTheRoad is on a distinguished road. (+10) OnTheRoad is on a distinguished road. (+10) OnTheRoad is on a distinguished road. (+10) OnTheRoad is on a distinguished road. (+10) OnTheRoad is on a distinguished road. (+10) OnTheRoad is on a distinguished road. (+10) OnTheRoad is on a distinguished road. (+10) OnTheRoad is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    2 weeks out, post workout...my tuna, my sweet potato and green vegetables. My sweet potato is very limited then but not gone completely.

1 week out, post workout..my chicken/tuna and my green vege...pretty much straight away too!! I would be very hungry.

That said, this was my diet for the last comp, I was ready and didn't need to drop any fat or weight...I think your diet in the last couple of weeks would depend on how you were looking.

I hope this helps
    Natural Figure Champion

Sponsored by

www.assassinnutrition.com.au

www.activewearonline.com.au

www.pke.com.au

Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    How much fats are you taking in? They can also be used as an energy source.

Originally Posted by Zarazen View Post
    How much fats are you taking in? They can also be used as an energy source.
    Good point, I hadn't considered that healthy fats can give you energy. The only healthy fats I'm eating right now are 1/4 c. walnuts at bedtime to help so I don't wake up hungry in the middle of the night.

Originally Posted by OnTheRoad View Post
    2 weeks out, post workout...my tuna, my sweet potato and green vegetables. My sweet potato is very limited then but not gone completely.
    Thank God you said that, I love sweet potato. I just boiled some up last night and brought to work with me to have with my lunch of low sodium cx breasts and veggies. Not a ton, but some sweet potato just tastes sooo good. For tuna you're talked fresh or frozen, ya? Canned has such a crapload of sodium.

Originally Posted by Rsardinia View Post
    No carbs 2 weeks out seems like a stretch. I could see that working maybe the first part of peak week but whatevers clever. Just get some caffeine in you and some meat or something since that's really your only option.
    Yeah two weeks seemed tough, but the figure coach said that "the other girls were doing no carbs for 12 weeks". Gross. Not doing caffiene, haven't had caffiene or alcohol in like 3 years (busy being pregnant, kids ages 1 and 4 now).

This has been a great thread, thanks to all for the great advice and suggestions!

Less than two weeks til contest, let's kick this thing in the as*.

Pro Natural Bodybuilder FATHER FLEX's Avatar
    FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I had to choose between pre and post carbs, I prioritize them pre-workout, but I would make sure to have some whey right after, if the situation came were my daily carb budget made me choose between pre and post. Some BCAA intra as well.
    100% Natural Bodybuilding!
    http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

Where there are no men be a man.

Even a genius asks questions.

Knowledge is the child of confusion.

OnTheRoad is on a distinguished road. (+10) OnTheRoad is on a distinguished road. (+10) OnTheRoad is on a distinguished road. (+10) OnTheRoad is on a distinguished road. (+10) OnTheRoad is on a distinguished road. (+10) OnTheRoad is on a distinguished road. (+10) OnTheRoad is on a distinguished road. (+10) OnTheRoad is on a distinguished road. (+10) OnTheRoad is on a distinguished road. (+10) OnTheRoad is on a distinguished road. (+10) OnTheRoad is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by trish123 View Post

Thank God you said that, I love sweet potato. I just boiled some up last night and brought to work with me to have with my lunch of low sodium cx breasts and veggies. Not a ton, but some sweet potato just tastes sooo good. For tuna you're talked fresh or frozen, ya? Canned has such a crapload of sodium.

ahhhh no!! lol. I don't play around with my salt or water leading up to or on the day off the comp. Again, this is just me

I try and get as lean as possible and then compete..simple!

You are right, there is some sodium in canned and if you limit your sodium then you need to use another protein source.

Excited yet?
    Natural Figure Champion

Sponsored by

www.assassinnutrition.com.au

www.activewearonline.com.au

www.pke.com.au

Cnstnce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cnstnce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cnstnce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cnstnce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cnstnce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cnstnce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cnstnce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cnstnce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cnstnce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cnstnce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cnstnce is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Grapefruit
    The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
    Vince Lombardi

Trapzillaoo7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trapzillaoo7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trapzillaoo7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trapzillaoo7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trapzillaoo7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trapzillaoo7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trapzillaoo7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trapzillaoo7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trapzillaoo7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trapzillaoo7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trapzillaoo7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Great advice here, exactly what I'd do,

Brian

Originally Posted by FATHER FLEX View Post
    I had to choose between pre and post carbs, I prioritize them pre-workout, but I would make sure to have some whey right after, if the situation came were my daily carb budget made me choose between pre and post. Some BCAA intra as well.
    Check out our Supplement and Fitness Clothing Line! http://www.beyonddriven.com

Brian Ahlstrom
    IFPA, NGA and PNBA Natural Pro Bodybuilder
    Beyond Driven - www.beyonddriven.com and www.********.com/wearebeyonddriven
    Ahlstrom Fitness Consulting- www.********.com/ahlstromfitnessconsulting
    @YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/AhlstromFitness and http://www.youtube.com/BeyondDriven
    Follow us on Twitter @ahlstromfitness and @werbeyonddriven
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0VNOcV74Es&feature=plcp