Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 78
  1. #1
    Registered User DoubleJointed's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2010
    Age: 32
    Posts: 96
    Rep Power: 129
    DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    DoubleJointed is offline

    Protecting my business model?

    I created a basic, complex but understandable to the health enthusiast, packet of exercise and nutrition information which I plan to handout along with my business flyer at appropriate locations like GNC, VS and chain gyms. Besides violence, how do I protect this information from being copied by gym or independent personal trainers that come across it? How do I insure successful clients don't copy my business model entirely? Do other independent trainers share my fears? I may just simplify it further and give the rest of the info verbally to potential and current clients.
    Don't compete with me unless you like losing.

    “I train every day of my life as they have never trained a day in theirs”
    "Suffering exists because weakness exists"
    "I have a dream"
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Registered User MaxNRG_PT's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2010
    Location: Australia
    Age: 35
    Posts: 42
    Rep Power: 0
    MaxNRG_PT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxNRG_PT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxNRG_PT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxNRG_PT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxNRG_PT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxNRG_PT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxNRG_PT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxNRG_PT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    MaxNRG_PT is offline
    There is no real way to stop people copying your information. If the information you are supplying is really going to be of such high quality that gets results, you shouldn't have a problem in the amount of people that are wanting your services.

    Make sure that your branding is placed all over the handouts to stop direct copying, but it is almost impossible to stop someone re-writing your material and re packaging it. Most of the fitness products available today are just re-hashed versions of the handful of quality ones out there.

    How detailed do you plan to make these handouts? And how are you planning to be allowed to hand these out at GNC stores and chain gyms?
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User DoubleJointed's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2010
    Age: 32
    Posts: 96
    Rep Power: 129
    DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    DoubleJointed is offline
    Originally Posted by MaxNRG_PT View Post
    There is no real way to stop people copying your information. If the information you are supplying is really going to be of such high quality that gets results, you shouldn't have a problem in the amount of people that are wanting your services.

    Make sure that your branding is placed all over the handouts to stop direct copying, but it is almost impossible to stop someone re-writing your material and re packaging it. Most of the fitness products available today are just re-hashed versions of the handful of quality ones out there.

    How detailed do you plan to make these handouts? And how are you planning to be allowed to hand these out at GNC stores and chain gyms?
    Handouts breakdown macronutrients, micronutrients, meal frequency and timing, supplements, cardio, weigh training, muscle groups, "clean vs dirty", injury prevention and uncommon information among other things. It doesn't contain everything I know. I have store owners that have agreed to hand them out to customers when I'm ready. As far as nutrition stores and gyms, I was planing on putting them on vehicles in the parking lot irregularly.

    If I later wanted to sue someone who I believe is stealing my business model, how could I prove in court it was mine first?
    Don't compete with me unless you like losing.

    “I train every day of my life as they have never trained a day in theirs”
    "Suffering exists because weakness exists"
    "I have a dream"
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Rep Back 8k+ LiftHeavy85's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Posts: 11,970
    Rep Power: 11443
    LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    LiftHeavy85 is offline
    Originally Posted by DoubleJointed View Post
    I created a basic, complex but understandable to the health enthusiast, packet of exercise and nutrition information which I plan to handout along with my business flyer at appropriate locations like GNC, VS and chain gyms. Besides violence, how do I protect this information from being copied by gym or independent personal trainers that come across it? How do I insure successful clients don't copy my business model entirely? Do other independent trainers share my fears? I may just simplify it further and give the rest of the info verbally to potential and current clients.
    pretty sure all the information you have can easily be googled. The information you have isn't anything unique or revolutionary.
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Registered Drug User Nuttynutskin's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2010
    Age: 44
    Posts: 550
    Rep Power: 383
    Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Nuttynutskin is offline
    If you can't stand the fact that people could potentially copy information you give out or inform others about it then don't put it out there. What are you going to do, sue one of your clients if they tell one of their buddies about something they learn from you? If you're just trying to advertise yourself then it would be stupid to go in depth with all that stuff on a pamphlet anyways. lulz
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Registered User DoubleJointed's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2010
    Age: 32
    Posts: 96
    Rep Power: 129
    DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    DoubleJointed is offline
    Originally Posted by LiftHeavy85 View Post
    pretty sure all the information you have can easily be googled. The information you have isn't anything unique or revolutionary.
    Anything can be easily googled but this is indepth breakdown of all that compiled together cohesively based on many credible scientific studies, not one or a biased website. How many people on this very forum ask for info that can be learned through their own research? Many but they want someone "in the know" to just tell them, it's much easier and less time consuming. Better yet, how often do you see veterans who're really "broscientists" spreading wrong info based of their google search or bias? I got negged by a vet in my first thread because I argued against his bogus comments which where likely google based misinterpretation. Anyone that reads it will have learned a lot of new information whether you're into exercise and nutrition or not and I can substantiate it, that is undoubtedly unique.
    Don't compete with me unless you like losing.

    “I train every day of my life as they have never trained a day in theirs”
    "Suffering exists because weakness exists"
    "I have a dream"
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User DoubleJointed's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2010
    Age: 32
    Posts: 96
    Rep Power: 129
    DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    DoubleJointed is offline
    Originally Posted by Nuttynutskin View Post
    If you can't stand the fact that people could potentially copy information you give out or inform others about it then don't put it out there. What are you going to do, sue one of your clients if they tell one of their buddies about something they learn from you? If you're just trying to advertise yourself then it would be stupid to go in depth with all that stuff on a pamphlet anyways. lulz
    I dont care if they make a copy and give it to their buddies, they'll be new clients. I do care if they reach they're goals and decide, "I can do this too!", and they copy how I run my business. It's illegal. Packet doesnt specify diet or exercise routines.
    Don't compete with me unless you like losing.

    “I train every day of my life as they have never trained a day in theirs”
    "Suffering exists because weakness exists"
    "I have a dream"
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Registered Drug User Nuttynutskin's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2010
    Age: 44
    Posts: 550
    Rep Power: 383
    Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Nuttynutskin is offline
    Originally Posted by DoubleJointed View Post
    I dont care if they make a copy and give it to their buddies, they'll be new clients. I do care if they reach they're goals and decide, "I can do this too!", and they copy how I run my business. It's illegal. Packet doesnt specify diet or exercise routines.
    They would have to become licensed personal trainers themselves to have any sort of chance of actually starting their own business. And if they did that I'm willing to bet that they wouldn't even need any of your information because it's stuff they would have to learn themselves. Afaik unless you have some sort of "special" patented workout system like p90x it's not illegal for people to copy things that you teach them. A pt's job is to provide knowledge, and once it goes public you don't have full control over what people do with it.
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Registered User broad.stance's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2009
    Location: United States
    Posts: 2,107
    Rep Power: 11878
    broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    broad.stance is offline
    Originally Posted by DoubleJointed View Post
    Anything can be easily googled but this is indepth breakdown of all that compiled together cohesively based on many credible scientific studies, not one or a biased website. How many people on this very forum ask for info that can be learned through their own research? Many but they want someone "in the know" to just tell them, it's much easier and less time consuming. Better yet, how often do you see veterans who're really "broscientists" spreading wrong info based of their google search or bias? I got negged by a vet in my first thread because I argued against his bogus comments which where likely google based misinterpretation. Anyone that reads it will have learned a lot of new information whether you're into exercise and nutrition or not and I can substantiate it, that is undoubtedly unique.
    YOU CANNOT.

    Point blank.
    That's it.
    End of story.

    Because the information you are freely distributing is based off of studies and research - presumably studies widely available to others in the field - you cannot reasonably say, or even prove, in a court of law that you arranged this information in a unique way. You have not indicated whether any of the points in the handout are derived from your own 'peer reviewed' trials and studies, therefore what you have amounts to a presentation. (Side note: peer view is not a guarantee of protection or acceptance in this instance, it would only show the information is attributed to you and references would serve as a dated paper trail.)

    Admittedly, my experience with this isn't from the PT field, but academia where one's own meticulously documented research barely serves as proof a paper was stolen and instead you have to show how some rat-bastard doesn't understand the metabolic activation systems in a paper he supposedly wrote for a course in genetics he is scarcely passing. Not saying that has ever happened to me. Or that I am still bitter about it - had it happened.

    However, the burden of proof translates to the legal field. You do not hold the patent for the information, and none of it is based on your own research. You would have a shaky leg to stand upon and the costs of defending it would deplete your business funds.

    Take MaxNRG_PT's advice and work on your brand and presence in the field. If the model gains popularity and is widely known as "The DoubleJointed System" then should it be copied the perpetrator(s) will be called out on it. Also, your leg in court will be less shaky.
    Hums the theme to Superman during planks and LYTPs. Now that you've read this, you will too.

    All right boys, now watch how this is done. The key is to put it all in your groin and your back.
    Take your legs totally out of the equation. Lift with your lower back in a jerking, twisting motion.
    -- Peter Griffin

    Go down the line:
    http://www.greatergood.com
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Strength Coach tovlakas's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: Palos Hills, Illinois, United States
    Posts: 1,153
    Rep Power: 520
    tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    tovlakas is offline
    Originally Posted by DoubleJointed View Post
    If I later wanted to sue someone who I believe is stealing my business model, how could I prove in court it was mine first?
    With this hoarding, paranoid attitude you will never see success as a business owner. Sorry.

    If you're at the top of your game, others are going to copy you, it's the fact of the matter. Instead of trying to figure out how to waste taxpayer money launching a futile law suit against these people, you should learn to take it as a compliment.

    A successful business owner is constantly evolving his/her business. Thus, the best the competition who is copying them can do is stay one step behind. The real advantage lies in the creative development of new, ground breaking ideas, not in some "ultimate" business model that will be outdated in a year anyway.

    And I agree with the rest of the responses in here too.
    Reply With Quote

  11. #11
    Strength Coach tovlakas's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: Palos Hills, Illinois, United States
    Posts: 1,153
    Rep Power: 520
    tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    tovlakas is offline
    Originally Posted by DoubleJointed View Post
    I dont care if they make a copy and give it to their buddies, they'll be new clients. I do care if they reach they're goals and decide, "I can do this too!", and they copy how I run my business. It's illegal. Packet doesnt specify diet or exercise routines.
    Wrong.
    Reply With Quote

  12. #12
    Registered User equestrian's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Location: Texas, United States
    Age: 54
    Posts: 544
    Rep Power: 660
    equestrian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) equestrian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) equestrian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) equestrian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) equestrian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) equestrian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) equestrian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) equestrian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) equestrian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) equestrian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) equestrian is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    equestrian is offline
    Hi guys and gals,

    I hope you don't mind me posting because I'm not a personal trainer, but I am a published author and have researched the laws on intellectual copyright and am very familiar with them.

    You cannot copyright an idea or premise. You can copyright how YOU put it together. For example, the OP has taken the time to research and give knowledge and put it together in his own handout.

    I cannot take that handout copy it and then put my name on it.

    I can, however, take that handout rework it then put it out as my own, as long as the information is in my own words. Because the stats are based on common (as previously stated) research, that is fair game. It's how you put it together that makes the difference.

    Normally, in the publishing world, a person doesn't seek to copyright anything officially. It's a professional understanding that the moment you put words to paper, the copyright is yours. In fact, if you were trying to publish a book, getting a copyright before you submit to publishers just turns into a PITA.

    What the OP is doing is considered self-publishing. If he doesn't want to take it to market with a real house, then I would suggest he does attempt to get a copyright and also places that copyright on anything he hands out.

    But in order to maintain your copyright, when you find a violation of it, you MUST defend it. If you do not, you lose it.

    Discovery isn't part of the option per se. In the publishing world, the word "Aspirin" is touted as an example of this. It was an originally a brand name, but with failure to defend, it fell into the "fair use". (Technically, it's a trademark violation, but the principle is the same.)

    So OP, I strongly recommend that you NOT do this, getting a copyright on your own would be extremely difficult and defending it next to impossible.

    If I may be so bold as to offer, if you want to do handouts, go for it. But leave it at teasers...small published facts that give the person questions, for the answers to those questions, they need to come to you.

    Again, my apologies for posting in this section...I am just trying to help.
    ˙ǝsɹoɥ ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq ǝɯ ʇnd puɐ dn ǝɯ ʞɔıd ǝsɐǝןd 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

    "There is nothing as deceptive as an obvious fact."
    Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

    Work harder, work smarter. There is absolutely no reason why I can't do both!
    Reply With Quote

  13. #13
    Registered User seabass08's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2010
    Age: 42
    Posts: 315
    Rep Power: 144
    seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    seabass08 is offline
    Wow. This thread confirms so many of my ideas about how personal trainers are a waste of money and time, 99% of you are scam artists ripping people off.

    First, we have a douche bag convinced of his own brilliance to the point that he must copy all his yoda-like wisdom, and then hand it out for free to prove to everyone how smart he is, then ask how he can sue someone for using the material he put on their car without their permission. Gotta love it. He tool, if you handed the stuff out for free, on their car without their permission, and they use it for their own success, guess what? You're just another idiot PT.

    Next, you need to have a sit down in the mirror with no one but yourself. And ask yourself what is your motivation in the fitness industry?? Is it to turn the most profit possible? Or is it to truly help people. I've worked with college athletes in strength and conditioning for about 7 years now. And me and a few coaches at the other local college are working on a plan for a community relations project. What is it? FREE personal training at our facility to anyone who shows up and signs a waiver. It will be run partially by our graduate assistants so they can gain experience. It'll be under a non-profit number, and sponsored by the universities.

    It's gonna be free. 1.5 hours a day, 6 days a week. 2 45 minute sessions. One male, one female. Free for everyone, regardless how many people sign up. It's gonna be advertised through local newspaper and television. We are about 8 months from launching it. Why are we doing it? Heres why:

    - The economy sucks, but our people are still getting fatter and more out of shape.
    - Many people don't have $50 an hour to waste on the Personal Trainer scam.
    - We are pros, know what works, and WANT TO HELP PEOPLE, not turn a profit.

    Our official goal is to help the community get into shape. But my side goal is to put a few scam artist personal trainers out of business.

    It is complete BS that you people walk around the gym scamming people like most of you do, and wearing the gym's shirt or logo usually, and when a regular member (aka non-client) walks up to ask you a simple question in your down time you people snarl at them and give them the "Well, sir, thats gonna be $20 per answer" attitude.

    I've seen maybe 1-3% of commercial personal trainers that I actually have any respect for.
    Reply With Quote

  14. #14
    Registered User seabass08's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2010
    Age: 42
    Posts: 315
    Rep Power: 144
    seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    seabass08 is offline
    Originally Posted by equestrian View Post
    Hi guys and gals,

    I hope you don't mind me posting because I'm not a personal trainer, but I am a published author and have researched the laws on intellectual copyright and am very familiar with them.

    You cannot copyright an idea or premise. You can copyright how YOU put it together. For example, the OP has taken the time to research and give knowledge and put it together in his own handout.

    I cannot take that handout copy it and then put my name on it.

    I can, however, take that handout rework it then put it out as my own, as long as the information is in my own words. Because the stats are based on common (as previously stated) research, that is fair game. It's how you put it together that makes the difference.

    Normally, in the publishing world, a person doesn't seek to copyright anything officially. It's a professional understanding that the moment you put words to paper, the copyright is yours. In fact, if you were trying to publish a book, getting a copyright before you submit to publishers just turns into a PITA.

    What the OP is doing is considered self-publishing. If he doesn't want to take it to market with a real house, then I would suggest he does attempt to get a copyright and also places that copyright on anything he hands out.

    But in order to maintain your copyright, when you find a violation of it, you MUST defend it. If you do not, you lose it.

    Discovery isn't part of the option per se. In the publishing world, the word "Aspirin" is touted as an example of this. It was an originally a brand name, but with failure to defend, it fell into the "fair use". (Technically, it's a trademark violation, but the principle is the same.)

    So OP, I strongly recommend that you NOT do this, getting a copyright on your own would be extremely difficult and defending it next to impossible.

    If I may be so bold as to offer, if you want to do handouts, go for it. But leave it at teasers...small published facts that give the person questions, for the answers to those questions, they need to come to you.

    Again, my apologies for posting in this section...I am just trying to help.
    Thanks, you gave some good info there, hope the guy takes the advice.

    Most PT's are so obsessed with profit, they'd try to copywrite perspiration. I think if the guy hands out great info for free, and a large number of people benefit from his efforts, he should be happy he did something good for a lot of people instead of wondering who he can sue. But thats the difference between fitness enthusiasts and fitness pirates (aka personal trainers).
    Reply With Quote

  15. #15
    Registered User DoubleJointed's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2010
    Age: 32
    Posts: 96
    Rep Power: 129
    DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    DoubleJointed is offline
    You guys misunderstand. I dont care if any of my information is given to someones friends or even everyone they know but I do care if someone is profiting off my original ideas and work. For example, Bellator copied UFC contracts because the UFC is the most profitable MMA organization, the UFC files suit because Bellator is basing contracts off the UFCs business model. I'm just going to simplify it to general information and leave the comprehensive stuff to verbal information. Thanks to those not being *******s.
    Don't compete with me unless you like losing.

    “I train every day of my life as they have never trained a day in theirs”
    "Suffering exists because weakness exists"
    "I have a dream"
    Reply With Quote

  16. #16
    Registered User DoubleJointed's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2010
    Age: 32
    Posts: 96
    Rep Power: 129
    DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    DoubleJointed is offline
    Originally Posted by seabass08 View Post
    Thanks, you gave some good info there, hope the guy takes the advice.

    Most PT's are so obsessed with profit, they'd try to copywrite perspiration. I think if the guy hands out great info for free, and a large number of people benefit from his efforts, he should be happy he did something good for a lot of people instead of wondering who he can sue. But thats the difference between fitness enthusiasts and fitness pirates (aka personal trainers).
    I'll start changing the world after my success, not before, I need to help myself and my family first and strangers second.
    Don't compete with me unless you like losing.

    “I train every day of my life as they have never trained a day in theirs”
    "Suffering exists because weakness exists"
    "I have a dream"
    Reply With Quote

  17. #17
    Registered User DoubleJointed's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2010
    Age: 32
    Posts: 96
    Rep Power: 129
    DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    DoubleJointed is offline
    Originally Posted by seabass08 View Post
    Wow. This thread confirms so many of my ideas about how personal trainers are a waste of money and time, 99% of you are scam artists ripping people off.

    First, we have a douche bag convinced of his own brilliance to the point that he must copy all his yoda-like wisdom, and then hand it out for free to prove to everyone how smart he is, then ask how he can sue someone for using the material he put on their car without their permission. Gotta love it. He tool, if you handed the stuff out for free, on their car without their permission, and they use it for their own success, guess what? You're just another idiot PT.

    Next, you need to have a sit down in the mirror with no one but yourself. And ask yourself what is your motivation in the fitness industry?? Is it to turn the most profit possible? Or is it to truly help people. I've worked with college athletes in strength and conditioning for about 7 years now. And me and a few coaches at the other local college are working on a plan for a community relations project. What is it? FREE personal training at our facility to anyone who shows up and signs a waiver. It will be run partially by our graduate assistants so they can gain experience. It'll be under a non-profit number, and sponsored by the universities.

    It's gonna be free. 1.5 hours a day, 6 days a week. 2 45 minute sessions. One male, one female. Free for everyone, regardless how many people sign up. It's gonna be advertised through local newspaper and television. We are about 8 months from launching it. Why are we doing it? Heres why:

    - The economy sucks, but our people are still getting fatter and more out of shape.
    - Many people don't have $50 an hour to waste on the Personal Trainer scam.
    - We are pros, know what works, and WANT TO HELP PEOPLE, not turn a profit.

    Our official goal is to help the community get into shape. But my side goal is to put a few scam artist personal trainers out of business.

    It is complete BS that you people walk around the gym scamming people like most of you do, and wearing the gym's shirt or logo usually, and when a regular member (aka non-client) walks up to ask you a simple question in your down time you people snarl at them and give them the "Well, sir, thats gonna be $20 per answer" attitude.

    I've seen maybe 1-3% of commercial personal trainers that I actually have any respect for.
    This is so stupid and assumption based I dont even know how to start responding, oh wait... I wont even waste my time in such a pointless endeavor.
    Don't compete with me unless you like losing.

    “I train every day of my life as they have never trained a day in theirs”
    "Suffering exists because weakness exists"
    "I have a dream"
    Reply With Quote

  18. #18
    Registered User DoubleJointed's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2010
    Age: 32
    Posts: 96
    Rep Power: 129
    DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    DoubleJointed is offline
    Originally Posted by tovlakas View Post
    Wrong.
    Since when is copying someone elses business model not illegal?
    Don't compete with me unless you like losing.

    “I train every day of my life as they have never trained a day in theirs”
    "Suffering exists because weakness exists"
    "I have a dream"
    Reply With Quote

  19. #19
    Registered User DoubleJointed's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2010
    Age: 32
    Posts: 96
    Rep Power: 129
    DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    DoubleJointed is offline
    Originally Posted by equestrian View Post
    Hi guys and gals,

    I hope you don't mind me posting because I'm not a personal trainer, but I am a published author and have researched the laws on intellectual copyright and am very familiar with them.

    You cannot copyright an idea or premise. You can copyright how YOU put it together. For example, the OP has taken the time to research and give knowledge and put it together in his own handout.

    I cannot take that handout copy it and then put my name on it.

    I can, however, take that handout rework it then put it out as my own, as long as the information is in my own words. Because the stats are based on common (as previously stated) research, that is fair game. It's how you put it together that makes the difference.

    Normally, in the publishing world, a person doesn't seek to copyright anything officially. It's a professional understanding that the moment you put words to paper, the copyright is yours. In fact, if you were trying to publish a book, getting a copyright before you submit to publishers just turns into a PITA.

    What the OP is doing is considered self-publishing. If he doesn't want to take it to market with a real house, then I would suggest he does attempt to get a copyright and also places that copyright on anything he hands out.

    But in order to maintain your copyright, when you find a violation of it, you MUST defend it. If you do not, you lose it.

    Discovery isn't part of the option per se. In the publishing world, the word "Aspirin" is touted as an example of this. It was an originally a brand name, but with failure to defend, it fell into the "fair use". (Technically, it's a trademark violation, but the principle is the same.)

    So OP, I strongly recommend that you NOT do this, getting a copyright on your own would be extremely difficult and defending it next to impossible.

    If I may be so bold as to offer, if you want to do handouts, go for it. But leave it at teasers...small published facts that give the person questions, for the answers to those questions, they need to come to you.

    Again, my apologies for posting in this section...I am just trying to help.
    Thans, you got the point and were very helpful.
    Don't compete with me unless you like losing.

    “I train every day of my life as they have never trained a day in theirs”
    "Suffering exists because weakness exists"
    "I have a dream"
    Reply With Quote

  20. #20
    Registered Drug User Nuttynutskin's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2010
    Age: 44
    Posts: 550
    Rep Power: 383
    Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Nuttynutskin is offline
    Originally Posted by DoubleJointed View Post
    You guys misunderstand. I dont care if any of my information is given to someones friends or even everyone they know but I do care if someone is profiting off my original ideas and work.
    From what you've said so far your ideas sound neither original or groundbreaking. If you really think that you're all that then go down the the patent office. I think you would be sadly mistaken tho. Chances are you're not going to make yourself rich being a pt, especially with your current attitude. Being a pt is about helping people. You sound better suited to be a marketting executive or some such.
    Reply With Quote

  21. #21
    Registered User MaxNRG_PT's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2010
    Location: Australia
    Age: 35
    Posts: 42
    Rep Power: 0
    MaxNRG_PT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxNRG_PT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxNRG_PT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxNRG_PT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxNRG_PT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxNRG_PT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxNRG_PT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxNRG_PT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    MaxNRG_PT is offline
    Originally Posted by DoubleJointed View Post
    Since when is copying someone elses business model not illegal?
    That would be the last thing I would be worrying about at the moment. The chances of someone copying your exact pamphlet word for word is not going to happen.

    I think the number one thing you should be focusing on is being the best in your field at what you do. So what if someone copies your handout, if you are really going to be providing this mind blowing information about training and exercise you should have no problems in becoming known as an expert in your field. To do that however you are going to have to provide proof that you deserve to be known as an expert, and this usually means supplying some 'free' information to get your name out there.
    Reply With Quote

  22. #22
    Registered User jdjprimer19's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2007
    Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
    Age: 35
    Posts: 3,780
    Rep Power: 12111
    jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    jdjprimer19 is offline
    Originally Posted by DoubleJointed View Post
    Handouts breakdown macronutrients, micronutrients, meal frequency and timing, supplements, cardio, weigh training, muscle groups, "clean vs dirty", injury prevention and uncommon information among other things. It doesn't contain everything I know. I have store owners that have agreed to hand them out to customers when I'm ready. As far as nutrition stores and gyms, I was planing on putting them on vehicles in the parking lot irregularly.

    If I later wanted to sue someone who I believe is stealing my business model, how could I prove in court it was mine first?

    Your input on these would be greatly appreciated .
    JDJ's 5/3/1 Revamped
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143074093&page=10

    "...any statement, whether made by a scientist or not, should be open to logical analysis. Immense prestige and authority does not compensate for faulty logic." John Lennox

    http://www.bullseyefitness.net
    Reply With Quote

  23. #23
    Registered User equestrian's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Location: Texas, United States
    Age: 54
    Posts: 544
    Rep Power: 660
    equestrian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) equestrian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) equestrian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) equestrian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) equestrian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) equestrian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) equestrian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) equestrian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) equestrian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) equestrian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) equestrian is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    equestrian is offline
    Honestly guys, people have copied a lot less for nothing.

    There was a news article where someone sued J,K. and her Potter series over the fact she "stole" the idea of "Muggles."

    Not that she stole the story, but that she stole the word "Muggles" in that it refers to the average joe with no magic.

    Now, is J.K's work original? Yes. Is her story original? No.

    She simply found an original way to package teen angst and wanting to be special, in a world of ordinary, in a new way.

    The premise and idea of her story is ages old. Even the mythical creatures are ancient. She just figured out a way to package it in a new model.

    So no, there is no way to protect a business model. They are standardized just like stories are. The only thing you can do is protect how you PRESENT that model to the public.

    How you bring your voice into the world is entirely you and entirely the subject here. (I'm not going to say your idea is good or idiocy, that is not the point.)

    What I want you to look at is if you do bring this into the world...how are you going to present it and how are you going to keep it?

    You can't protect a business model any more than I could protect a sneeze.

    So let's go from there and work forward.
    ˙ǝsɹoɥ ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq ǝɯ ʇnd puɐ dn ǝɯ ʞɔıd ǝsɐǝןd 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

    "There is nothing as deceptive as an obvious fact."
    Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

    Work harder, work smarter. There is absolutely no reason why I can't do both!
    Reply With Quote

  24. #24
    Registered User seabass08's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2010
    Age: 42
    Posts: 315
    Rep Power: 144
    seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    seabass08 is offline
    Originally Posted by DoubleJointed View Post
    I'll start changing the world after my success, not before, I need to help myself and my family first and strangers second.
    HAHA!! Thanks, you have again confirmed the EXACT reason I find most PT's to be scumbags. So you are going into personal training to "help myself" first, and "strangers second". Well guess what dumbass, your total income is gonna be based on helping strangers, or else you won't be making any $$$ at all.

    So guess what you'll need to make $$$? Repeat business. And I'm sure you'll be convincing people that they don't need to keep coming back to you, that they are capable of doing it themselves, right? Oh, of course not, you'll convince them their only path will be to keep paying your scam.

    Heres a better route to "help" yourself and your family: Go into a career that isn't already overpopulated. Pick up a construction hat. Go be a fireman. Join the Army. Be a teacher. Be a cop. Do something that is stable and will guarantee you get paid if you are in such desperate need. I can promise 100% that your supposed miracle training plan is either bull****, or it's cut and paste of stuff that anyone who ever played high school football knows because it's been done millions of times by other people.

    Guys with your attitude make up 99% of the personal training field today. Douches with a tight t-shirt on standing around the gym thinking they are better than everyone, and often times sporting a beer gut with their big biceps.

    I feel sorry for the poor people you're gonna scam into paying you. What is your background anyway?
    Reply With Quote

  25. #25
    Registered User DoubleJointed's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2010
    Age: 32
    Posts: 96
    Rep Power: 129
    DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    DoubleJointed is offline
    Originally Posted by seabass08 View Post
    HAHA!! Thanks, you have again confirmed the EXACT reason I find most PT's to be scumbags. So you are going into personal training to "help myself" first, and "strangers second". Well guess what dumbass, your total income is gonna be based on helping strangers, or else you won't be making any $$$ at all.

    So guess what you'll need to make $$$? Repeat business. And I'm sure you'll be convincing people that they don't need to keep coming back to you, that they are capable of doing it themselves, right? Oh, of course not, you'll convince them their only path will be to keep paying your scam.

    Heres a better route to "help" yourself and your family: Go into a career that isn't already overpopulated. Pick up a construction hat. Go be a fireman. Join the Army. Be a teacher. Be a cop. Do something that is stable and will guarantee you get paid if you are in such desperate need. I can promise 100% that your supposed miracle training plan is either bull****, or it's cut and paste of stuff that anyone who ever played high school football knows because it's been done millions of times by other people.

    Guys with your attitude make up 99% of the personal training field today. Douches with a tight t-shirt on standing around the gym thinking they are better than everyone, and often times sporting a beer gut with their big biceps.

    I feel sorry for the poor people you're gonna scam into paying you. What is your background anyway?
    Guys like you make up 100% of the ignorant people who generalize, assume and cause confict, you don't know me or what I'm about. I wrestle and volunteer this information, training and my time to HS wrestlers for free when I can't even afford to buy my own food. I'm not "obsessed with profit" nor do I intend to "scam" anyone but I'm not going to work for free for people I dont know as you suggested when my business is not even off the ground yet, are you stupid? The anwser is obvious.
    Don't compete with me unless you like losing.

    “I train every day of my life as they have never trained a day in theirs”
    "Suffering exists because weakness exists"
    "I have a dream"
    Reply With Quote

  26. #26
    Registered User DoubleJointed's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2010
    Age: 32
    Posts: 96
    Rep Power: 129
    DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleJointed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    DoubleJointed is offline
    Originally Posted by Nuttynutskin View Post
    From what you've said so far your ideas sound neither original or groundbreaking.
    Obviously! Why would I post my "orginal" and "groundbreaking" ideas about personal training in a forum full of personal trainers if I want to protect those ideas? Seems counter productive.
    Don't compete with me unless you like losing.

    “I train every day of my life as they have never trained a day in theirs”
    "Suffering exists because weakness exists"
    "I have a dream"
    Reply With Quote

  27. #27
    Registered User seabass08's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2010
    Age: 42
    Posts: 315
    Rep Power: 144
    seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    seabass08 is offline
    Originally Posted by DoubleJointed View Post
    Guys like you make up 100% of the ignorant people who generalize, assume and cause confict, you don't know me or what I'm about. I wrestle and volunteer this information, training and my time to HS wrestlers for free when I can't even afford to buy my own food. I'm not "obsessed with profit" nor do I intend to "scam" anyone but I'm not going to work for free for people I dont know as you suggested when my business is not even off the ground yet, are you stupid? The anwser is obvious.
    You don't have any original or groundbreaking ideas. And you are trying to stand on this soapbox of nobility for offering up your free services and "groundbreaking" knowledge.......then ask how you can file a lawsuit on anyone who uses the information that YOU ARE HANDING OUT FOR FREE AND PUTTING ON PEOPLE'S CAR WINDOWS WITHOUT THEIR PERMISSION!!!!

    If you cannot even afford to buy your own food, yet you are intending to make a living for you and your family off selling your knowledge and training techniques on exercise, then you sir are setting yourself up for failure. Very few people make successful personal trainers. 99% are scam artists (the 1% of you out there that aren't, you guys are great and work wonders for folks). You are trying to jump into an already overcrowded field. You say you can't even afford to buy your own food, then what in the hell are you thinking trying to start a personal training business!?

    GO GET A STEADY JOB FIRST.

    If you wrestled, how about spend that time handing out fliers instead getting a teaching certificate. We have a shortage of teachers in the country. You could teach and coach, get a steady pay, and work on your PT biz on the side. Go be a fireman or cop. They get lots of days off and you'd have steady pay plus free time to do the PT thing. At least you could "afford my own food" then.

    But nevermind my sound, wise advice. Go out and keep starving yourself while you attempt to rip people off by paying you for your "groundbreaking knowledge". I can say with 99.9% certainty that there is nothing you know or teach that isn't common knowledge to the local football and wrestling coaches, you are just gonna market that common knowledge to fat people who don't know any better, and charge them $100 an hour for something they could google in 5 minutes or read in a book they can pick up at Barnes and Noble for $20.
    Reply With Quote

  28. #28
    Registered User seabass08's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2010
    Age: 42
    Posts: 315
    Rep Power: 144
    seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    seabass08 is offline
    Originally Posted by DoubleJointed View Post
    Obviously! Why would I post my "orginal" and "groundbreaking" ideas about personal training in a forum full of personal trainers if I want to protect those ideas? Seems counter productive.
    Because your ideas are neither original or groundbreaking. IF they were, you'd be employed as a strength and conditioning coach at a big university or pro sports team. Instead you're putting fliers on people's cars and asking how you can sue anyone who uses it.

    People with groundbreaking and original ideas are either full of sh**, or they are already employed by a pro, college or olympic training center. They sure aren't slapping fliers on people's cars.

    Let me guess, you're grounbreaking ideas involve people burning more calories than they take in to lose weight???? GASP!!!!!
    Reply With Quote

  29. #29
    Registered User nsiegel5's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2009
    Posts: 1,264
    Rep Power: 604
    nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    nsiegel5 is offline
    Heres the thing, should McDonalds sue Burger King and Wendys. Maybe Home Depot should sue LOWES, or WalMart should sue KMart and Target. Even better yet GOLDS GYM could sue World Gym and NYSC and 24 hour fitness and LA Fitness blah blah blah.
    There really are very few groundbreaking original business models out there, most people learn by seeing other business models and what works and what doesnt work for their industry. Its your job to implement your business model in the best manner possible and if its really good then yea maybe someone will try to copy you but thats free market.
    I know that you didnt do all the research and scientific studies behind the knowledge you have gained so in essence you have already really just copied off someone else.
    I understand where you are coming from and being protective of what you work hard for but the only real thing you can do is be the best at what you do.
    Reply With Quote

  30. #30
    Registered User seabass08's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2010
    Age: 42
    Posts: 315
    Rep Power: 144
    seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    seabass08 is offline
    Originally Posted by nsiegel5 View Post
    Heres the thing, should McDonalds sue Burger King and Wendys. Maybe Home Depot should sue LOWES, or WalMart should sue KMart and Target. Even better yet GOLDS GYM could sue World Gym and NYSC and 24 hour fitness and LA Fitness blah blah blah.
    There really are very few groundbreaking original business models out there, most people learn by seeing other business models and what works and what doesnt work for their industry. Its your job to implement your business model in the best manner possible and if its really good then yea maybe someone will try to copy you but thats free market.
    I know that you didnt do all the research and scientific studies behind the knowledge you have gained so in essence you have already really just copied off someone else.
    I understand where you are coming from and being protective of what you work hard for but the only real thing you can do is be the best at what you do.
    The worst part is the guy claims he can't even afford to feed himself, but plans to make a solid living off his knowledge in fitness. Good luck with that. His mom needs to kick him in the arse and tell him to get a real 40 hour a week job first, and work on the PT thing in his free time.
    Reply With Quote

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-09-2009, 09:57 PM
  2. Advice on my business model
    By foodandfitness in forum Personal Trainers Section
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-29-2009, 07:59 AM
  3. Fitness Model as small business
    By mindyk in forum Contest Prep and Competition Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-04-2008, 10:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts