samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50)

The lower your body fat the faster you run and higher you jump??

I'm wondering, somebody told me once when I said I wanted to dunk that I should try getting my body fat in single digits and my vertical leap will get a lot higher ( assuming I'm training legs at the gym)... How true is this, and for you people with single digit body fat do you guys feel like you can jump/run A LOT faster and higher then you would at double digit bf? I'm currently at 14% and want to get back into basketball just casually but I've always wanted to dunk, and plan on cutting for as long as it takes to see single digit bf

bingbang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by samakaballer View Post
    I'm wondering, somebody told me once when I said I wanted to dunk that I should try getting my body fat in single digits and my vertical leap will get a lot higher ( assuming I'm training legs at the gym)... How true is this, and for you people with single digit body fat do you guys feel like you can jump/run A LOT faster and higher then you would at double digit bf? I'm currently at 14% and want to get back into basketball just casually but I've always wanted to dunk, and plan on cutting for as long as it takes to see single digit bf
    Vertical jump bible says to get where you want to be in terms of maximizing your jumping ability you need to be 10% or less.

Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500)
    hey op...is it harder to dunk with 14% bf or %9 bf? ur call

gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    For distance running (ie >200m) the general rule is for every 1% of weight you lose you get 1% faster, up to a certain limit where you no longer healthy- for someone like me who is 5'10", that's maybe 135-145lbs.

It's not about bodyfat, it's about your weight as an absolute. Now if you drop weight and you work out a lot you'll probably have a lower bodyfat, but bodyfat is really not something worth worrying about if you have your diet dialed to match your workout plan. Some people are ok lower, some people higher, it's more an individual thing.

Lift hard, die strong. GolGotha's Avatar
    GolGotha is on a distinguished road. (+10) GolGotha is on a distinguished road. (+10) GolGotha is on a distinguished road. (+10) GolGotha is on a distinguished road. (+10) GolGotha is on a distinguished road. (+10) GolGotha is on a distinguished road. (+10) GolGotha is on a distinguished road. (+10) GolGotha is on a distinguished road. (+10) GolGotha is on a distinguished road. (+10) GolGotha is on a distinguished road. (+10) GolGotha is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Think about it this way. Let's say you're 200 pounds and you go from 14% body fat to 9%. That's a 5% decrease or a 10lb weight loss. Since adipose tissue doesn't aid you while jumping, it's essentially dead weight. If you decreased your body fat, you'd have less dead weight, but similar muscle mass. With that same muscle mass, you can generate the same amount of power, but will be moving a lighter load. If you do the same amount of work per time at a lighter weight, the height you jump will be greater.

Really though, you don't HAVE to lose weight to improve your vertical. If you work on your olympic lifts (clean, jerk, snatch) and plyometric exercises, you'll be able to dunk at 14% body fat. Being lighter will help and so will being better at generating power. If you do both, you'll get there sooner.

samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by GolGotha View Post
    Think about it this way. Let's say you're 200 pounds and you go from 14% body fat to 9%. That's a 5% decrease or a 10lb weight loss. Since adipose tissue doesn't aid you while jumping, it's essentially dead weight. If you decreased your body fat, you'd have less dead weight, but similar muscle mass. With that same muscle mass, you can generate the same amount of power, but will be moving a lighter load. If you do the same amount of work per time at a lighter weight, the height you jump will be greater.

Really though, you don't HAVE to lose weight to improve your vertical. If you work on your olympic lifts (clean, jerk, snatch) and plyometric exercises, you'll be able to dunk at 14% body fat. Being lighter will help and so will being better at generating power. If you do both, you'll get there sooner.
    I don't do any plyometrics, I just have a leg day once a week nothing out of the ordinary just squats/ leg press/stiff leg deads/lying leg curls/calf raises.... But I also bought some strength shoes and might start using them soon so by the time im lower bf i'll have more power

Registered Manmore VerticalDreams's Avatar
    VerticalDreams has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) VerticalDreams has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) VerticalDreams has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) VerticalDreams has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) VerticalDreams has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) VerticalDreams has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) VerticalDreams has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) VerticalDreams has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) VerticalDreams has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) VerticalDreams has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) VerticalDreams has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I am between 12-14% BF,
    6'4 ( but I have very very short arms and CANNOT palm a basketball)

Ive been training via plyometrics workouts, and adding upper body weights workouts,

I also play on 3 seperate basketball teams so average 3-4 games a week.

Been workin like this for about 6 months, When I started my Running vertical was 25-26"

its now 39-40"

My highest running vertical jump so far I was able to Knock 11ft3 on the measurement pole

So yes, with training it is entirely possible to dunk at your BF %, I am cutting now however to get down below 10% in order to increase my vert higher..

guardupden has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) guardupden has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) guardupden has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) guardupden has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) guardupden has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) guardupden has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) guardupden has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) guardupden has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) guardupden has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) guardupden has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) guardupden has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by VerticalDreams View Post
    I am between 12-14% BF,
    6'4 ( but I have very very short arms and CANNOT palm a basketball)

Ive been training via plyometrics workouts, and adding upper body weights workouts,

I also play on 3 seperate basketball teams so average 3-4 games a week.

Been workin like this for about 6 months, When I started my Running vertical was 25-26"

its now 39-40"

My highest running vertical jump so far I was able to Knock 11ft3 on the measurement pole

So yes, with training it is entirely possible to dunk at your BF %, I am cutting now however to get down below 10% in order to increase my vert higher..

What did u do to get your vertical this much better ?

jbliss15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jbliss15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jbliss15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jbliss15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jbliss15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jbliss15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jbliss15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jbliss15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jbliss15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jbliss15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jbliss15 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i can just barely dunk at 92" reach with 20% BF.

everything i've ever seen says less BF higher jumping. the fat does nothing to help you jump. extra weight from muscle will help you...

there are also different types of jumpers... natural jumpers and big muscle jumpers... eg kevin durant vs blake griffin.

you say you don't do plyo... you will gain something if you do plyo for a while. fast twitch muscles. you'll gain speed and explosiveness.
    Attached Images

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by guardupden View Post
    What did u do to get your vertical this much better ?
    by not replying to 7 year old threads