Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    bhetz864 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bhetz864 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bhetz864 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bhetz864 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bhetz864 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bhetz864 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bhetz864 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bhetz864 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bhetz864 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bhetz864 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bhetz864 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Smoko View Post
    What if they don't want to be strong, fast and powerful?
    then they obviously have no fitness goals and therefore no need to be in the gym, period. As a personal trainer who recently moved from a "big box" into a private studio that specializes in crossfit (although I don't teach it myself) I know exactly what the OP means.

If I told a 45 year old woman with 30 lbs of extra baggage, little to no muscle and the self-confidence of a shrew that she could be more muscular, move quicker, and be stronger without hurting herself she would be all for it.

Perhaps the saddest fact of all is not that training has become so monotonous, its that potential clients have both unrealistic expectations and timelines. They used to be surprised when I told them it will take 90 sessions to put on 25 lbs of muscle. They want it overnight. Its bull****.

Muscle magazines and over-hyped supplements on this website don't exactly help matters as clients seem to think they can put on 10 lbs of muscle with ease, because they saw a picture in a magazine where it happened.

JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    doesnt make sense. excuses I have to pay the bills, etc

if you truly hate this job why not just quit man and make yourself happy and try another field. As long as you're alive you can try something else and see if you enjoy it, if that doesnt work you can try another thing and see how that fits for you. One thing you dont want though is to go through life miserable
    Disclaimer: The above post is my personal opinion and does not represent the official position of any company or entity. It does not constitute medical advice.

Online coaching avilable
    ******** Great Physique Fitness https://www.********.com/Great-Physique-Fitness-575323199169735/?ref=hl
    Twitter SmetonFitness https://twitter.com/SmetonFitness
    Instagram https://www.instagram.com/great_physique_fitness/?hl=en

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Notice that the thread is from 2010, so your advice to him is probably a bit redundant.

I'd be interested to hear the OP tell us of his career experiences since then.

HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Update on this thread...

I have had a job completely unrelated to anything in exercise science for the past few years..and have never been happier. My personal success and dedication to olympic weightlifting has exploded at an alarming rate in my life. I found once I stopped and thought about it, the less exciting exercise was to me the more it became a job. Once I decided to leave it as a hobby, ironically enough, my dedication increased.

Anyone else in my boat I recommend quitting whatever you do job wise and get so in to weightlifting that it takes you over. 3 years ago I thought I was strong but at 28 ive never been better

callit is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) callit is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) callit is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) callit is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) callit is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) callit is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) callit is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) callit is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) callit is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) callit is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) callit is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by tovlakas View Post
    BC once again proves he is an intolerant person with a narrow point of view unwilling to listen to anyone else and simply negs people when he disagrees. Good work dude.

OP, you are the one missing the point, not us. Your attitude that there is something WRONG with people who don't WANT to train to compete as an olympic-level lifter just because it's "so much more complicated and scientific" is totally unconducive to success in this field (and I'm NOT referring just to monetary success here) which is the real reason you're unhappy. You have a huge ego brought on by your training and experience and I am willing to bet that shows very clearly to your clients. As I suggested, you should go train professional athletes who HAVE that goal if that's the only goal that doesn't "disgust" you.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 40 year old woman who couldn't give less of a **** about her 1rm. You don't need to figure out a 1rm to figure out proper weight for various rep ranges for various adaptations... if yo want the client to perform 10 reps, you use a weight they can do 10 reps with. If they do 6 reps and can't do another, you decrease the weight. If they do 15 reps, you increase the weight. Pretty common sense really.

1RM is totally useless for ANYONE, and I seriously mean ANYONE, who isn't an olympic, power or strong man lifter because it's just a meaningless number in terms of fitness, health, and athletics. I don't even think other professional athletes benefit in any way from training for or even knowing their 1RM. Totally useless concept in 99% of life. Apparently to you that's the only thing that matters in life... good luck with that bud.

KyleAaron, you have once again dominated the thread with excellent points... cheers.
    This sums up my thoughts. ^