schar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Looking for a gym choices are LA fitness or Golds Gym any one have a better experienc

I am new to a fit life style. I have lost alot of weight on my own but need a good trainer to help me get to where I want to be. I have a choice of LA fitness and Golds Gym. Is one place better than the other or can you guys give me some advice thanks. I am 5'1 and 157 wanting to get to around 125 with 20% bodyfat or less thats the ultimate goal.

KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by schar View Post
    I am new to a fit life style. I have lost alot of weight on my own but need a good trainer to help me get to where I want to be. I have a choice of LA fitness and Golds Gym. Is one place better than the other or can you guys give me some advice thanks. I am 5'1 and 157 wanting to get to around 125 with 20% bodyfat or less thats the ultimate goal.
    My personal experience:
    My local LA Fitness is a better gym than my Gold's Gym (which is unusual from what I've been told - it's usually the other way around). My LA Fitness is bigger, has a much larger freeweight area, has multiple squat racks, has bigger classrooms, etc. Of course it also has a bigger cardio area and more cardio-bunnies but in general the weight area is more woman friendly as well.

However, when it comes to trainers, the LA Fitness trainers SUCK. S.U.C.K. I can't stress that enough. I tried 4 different ones at 2 different LA Fitness locations and every one of them was hideous. I knew more about what I was doing than they did and they tried to push me into a bunch of crazy eating plans as well. LA Fitness does not allow outside trainers; all of their trainers (blue shirts we call them) are there to do one thing and that's sell sessions for $$$ for the company. Even the ones I never talked to who would occasionally offer me advice were horrible - I had one woman actually stop me from squatting below parallel and lecture me on how I'd have to leave the gym if I couldn't follow proper form because of their liability. (I complained to the gym manager on that one.)

I did have a trainer who would meet me at LA Fitness and we'd "workout together" ... but really had we been caught they could have thrown us out for violating the rules. They absolutely do not allow outside trainers to compete with their staff.

If you really want to work with a trainer I'd say hire one independently and then go to his/her gym rather than trying to find a good corporate trainer.

Just my experiences here.

sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I go to L.A. Fitness as well. I've never had a problem with the free weight area or any of thier areas for that matter. I don't use the trainers either, only to spot me or check my form.

I have no experience with Gold's Gym. There's none in my neck of the woods.

DrivenAgain is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrivenAgain is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrivenAgain is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrivenAgain is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrivenAgain is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrivenAgain is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrivenAgain is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrivenAgain is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrivenAgain is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrivenAgain is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrivenAgain is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It really depends on the gyms in your area. They are all different...even if the names are the same... but any that refuse to let outside trainers in gets a thumbs down from me because their trainers aren't usually that great and they must follow corporate procedures and protocols.I agree... it's easier to go to a trainer's gym once you find one you really like.
    ... in transition ...

schar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DrivenAgain View Post
    It really depends on the gyms in your area. They are all different...even if the names are the same... but any that refuse to let outside trainers in gets a thumbs down from me because their trainers aren't usually that great and they must follow corporate procedures and protocols.I agree... it's easier to go to a trainer's gym once you find one you really like.
    I did like Golds Gym when I was a member there a few years ago. Both Gyms are about 15.5 miles away. The trainers at Golds Gym are sub contractors and set their own prices. LA Fitness the manager of the trainers offered me a free session with him not quite sure if it's a full training session but something like that. LA Fitness also says their training sessions run from $30 to $60 a session. Golds Gym I just spoke to some one on the phone and he said average is 35-40 per session depending on the trainer. I will speak to an actual trainer tomorrow. I'm not quite sure I can find a good trainer out side of the gym because I would have to put an ad in the paper. I am thinking of Golds gym though because it is near my work. The LA Fitness though has an in door pool and is 2 story / brand new they are both nice no excited about the drive on days I don't work. I do 3-12.5 hour night shifts.

discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by schar View Post
    I did like Golds Gym when I was a member there a few years ago. Both Gyms are about 15.5 miles away. The trainers at Golds Gym are sub contractors and set their own prices. LA Fitness the manager of the trainers offered me a free session with him not quite sure if it's a full training session but something like that. LA Fitness also says their training sessions run from $30 to $60 a session. Golds Gym I just spoke to some one on the phone and he said average is 35-40 per session depending on the trainer. I will speak to an actual trainer tomorrow. I'm not quite sure I can find a good trainer out side of the gym because I would have to put an ad in the paper. I am thinking of Golds gym though because it is near my work. The LA Fitness though has an in door pool and is 2 story / brand new they are both nice no excited about the drive on days I don't work. I do 3-12.5 hour night shifts.

Where in FL are you? Fifteen miles still seems like a hike. LA Fitness is a newer concept than Gold's, so all the amenities might be sparklier and shinier, if that matters to you. Also, Lifestyle is pretty big in FL I've noticed, you may want to check out there as well; if there's one nearby, of course. Some of their's have really nice pools.
    Sheriff John Brown always hated me
    For what I don't know
    Every time I plant a seed
    He said kill them before they grow

Originally Posted by discdoggie View Post
    Where in FL are you? Fifteen miles still seems like a hike. LA Fitness is a newer concept than Gold's, so all the amenities might be sparklier and shinier, if that matters to you. Also, Lifestyle is pretty big in FL I've noticed, you may want to check out there as well; if there's one nearby, of course. Some of their's have really nice pools.
    I'm in South FL. The closest is about an hour. I wish I had more near by. There is another gym about 2 miles away however their fees are outrageous and bad hours.
    I am thinking about Worlds Gym also it's about 5-7 miles away I just don't like the neighborhood but it seems nice.
    Golds gym is about 2 hours from my work so I would maybe go there 2-3 days a week.

Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I used to go to LA fitness and it was okay. They had a pretty decent free weight area which i liked plus I was able to go to any LA fitness anywhere which made it easy for me since there was one near my house and one near my work.

My biggest issue however was that the one i went to was ALWAYS PACKED!! Apparently it is one of the busiest ones around and there were times i was not able to find a parking spot. Also, while i became friends with a few of the trainers there who were pretty cool, there were some that would harass me, constantly asking me if i had done my free assesment (i told them no, i didn't need an assesment, i have been doing this for 8 years...did you not just see me deadlifting you?). Thankfully it stopped but if it hadn't i was going to go to the manager and let him/her know how irritating it was.

Since the one i went to was really busy, i often had to wait for equipment as well and sometimes felt crowded while i was using the squatting rack.

In the end, i just got my own squatting rack and a bunch of weights for my garage so that i could have everything that i needed at home. .

If you are looking for a good trainer, i would do a google search for personal training studios in your area. Even in smaller towns there are some really good training studios that have been set up. Most of the people there are going to know a bit more then the ones at LA fitness.

The other thing you can search for are some "hardcore" gyms. These would be the kinds of gyms that aren't anything fancy, and usually cater to people who are bodybuilders/weightlifters but often times they are much less expensive then a regular corporate gyms and they have good quality trainers!!! Plus, i have foudn that i get a much better workout at those kinds of places, i just feel more excited and motivated when i go there.

Smile

Originally Posted by Linds33 View Post
    I used to go to LA fitness and it was okay. They had a pretty decent free weight area which i liked plus I was able to go to any LA fitness anywhere which made it easy for me since there was one near my house and one near my work.

My biggest issue however was that the one i went to was ALWAYS PACKED!! Apparently it is one of the busiest ones around and there were times i was not able to find a parking spot. Also, while i became friends with a few of the trainers there who were pretty cool, there were some that would harass me, constantly asking me if i had done my free assesment (i told them no, i didn't need an assesment, i have been doing this for 8 years...did you not just see me deadlifting you?). Thankfully it stopped but if it hadn't i was going to go to the manager and let him/her know how irritating it was.

Since the one i went to was really busy, i often had to wait for equipment as well and sometimes felt crowded while i was using the squatting rack.

In the end, i just got my own squatting rack and a bunch of weights for my garage so that i could have everything that i needed at home. .

If you are looking for a good trainer, i would do a google search for personal training studios in your area. Even in smaller towns there are some really good training studios that have been set up. Most of the people there are going to know a bit more then the ones at LA fitness.

The other thing you can search for are some "hardcore" gyms. These would be the kinds of gyms that aren't anything fancy, and usually cater to people who are bodybuilders/weightlifters but often times they are much less expensive then a regular corporate gyms and they have good quality trainers!!! Plus, i have foudn that i get a much better workout at those kinds of places, i just feel more excited and motivated when i go there.
    Thank you for your detailed response. I have already spoke to LA Fitness and didn't like their training packages they said minimum I should get 6 months. I don't think so. I just need help with having someone watch me for maybe 10 sessions to make sure I really have the correct form etc... I am driven and don't think I need the trainer for accountability. You make a good point it would be awesome to speak to meet up with a female body builer and train with her. I don't think I would be in to competing or anything it would be great to do but for now just looking to gain muscle and be slender. I have never worn a bikini. I have always been a 9 to 11 in juniors until the past two years. Blah blah lol. I'll let you know what I find.

also wanted to comment on your progress 4 reps with a 400lb tire I think is what your profile said I am completely jealous. Awesome!

fbodychick will become famous soon enough. (+50) fbodychick will become famous soon enough. (+50) fbodychick will become famous soon enough. (+50) fbodychick will become famous soon enough. (+50) fbodychick will become famous soon enough. (+50) fbodychick will become famous soon enough. (+50) fbodychick will become famous soon enough. (+50) fbodychick will become famous soon enough. (+50) fbodychick will become famous soon enough. (+50) fbodychick will become famous soon enough. (+50) fbodychick will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Talking

U should ask for a 7 day guest pass to both gyms and try them out. It will really depend on the gym itself not the name of the gym. Evaluate the atmosphere and staff the decide!
    "Lift Heavy or go back to the cardio machine!"

Originally Posted by fbodychick View Post
    U should ask for a 7 day guest pass to both gyms and try them out. It will really depend on the gym itself not the name of the gym. Evaluate the atmosphere and staff the decide!
    Thanks. I have been to Golds gym I use to be a member it was nice. I am pretty much basing it on how good the trainers are and prices ofcourse I will hopefully be all set by next week I am checking out some smller gyms now.