cornerstone226 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Adding muscle on 1500 calories a day

I had lapband surgery and my calorie intake is supposed to be no more than 1500-2000 calories a day. Im also wanting to bulk up. Is there any advice on how to add muscle when i cant really drink a lot of the high protein/high calorie shakes or supplements?

jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    you will not bulk up on that amount of calories. you are obviously trying to lose weight with that amount so bulking will not happen in a calorie deficiet

nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Im assuming youre grossly overweight so it may be possible to use some of that stored fat you have as a way of fueling some muscle growth. In general cutting calories this low and putting on muscle is not going to happen but that does not mean you should not workout. I believe you will find many benefits to working out and although you may not really "bulk" up you can certainly improve your muscularity.

ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jules_d1 View Post
    you will not bulk up on that amount of calories. you are obviously trying to lose weight with that amount so bulking will not happen in a calorie deficiet
    This is correct for most ppl, but we dont even know that OPs stats. OP, what are your stats? (height, weight, BF %, etc)

OP, using resistance/weight training to retain muscle mass whilst dieting, which im assuming you have been advised to do due to your statements re: "lapband....1500-2000kcals per day", will not only help your weight loss, but will retain any muscle mass you have whilst increasing your strength and general well being.

The real question though is why have you taken the drastic steps to have lapband surgery, presumably to lose weight, and then want to bulk up? I would concentrate on losing the weight first due to the lapband

ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by nsiegel5 View Post
    ...it may be possible to use some of that stored fat you have as a way of fueling some muscle growth.
    I dont get it? please explain

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    When was your operation?
    What weight lifting experiance do you have?
    Why did you have the surgery if your interested in building muscle?
    Don't mean to sound like a Di** but I find it strange that you had a sugery that greatly limits your intake and now you want to bulk up.
    Have you talked to your doctor about when and what kind of lifting you can do?

Sports Dietitian CSCS bison4life's Avatar
    bison4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bison4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bison4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bison4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bison4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bison4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bison4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bison4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by cornerstone226 View Post
    I had lapband surgery and my calorie intake is supposed to be no more than 1500-2000 calories a day. Im also wanting to bulk up. Is there any advice on how to add muscle when i cant really drink a lot of the high protein/high calorie shakes or supplements?
    Why do you need high protein, and why can't you get adequate protein from 1500-2000 calories/day?

2000 calories
    60% carbs = 1200 calories (300 grams carbs)
    20% protein = 400 calories (100 grams protein)
    20% fat = 400 calories (45 grams fat)

There's no reason why you can't improve muscle hypertrophy on this calorie level, but you will be limited by genetics. And you may have to lower your expectations for bulking up.

You may want to consider seeing a registered dietitian who can assist you with your diet prescription. The RD can help ensure you're getting the right amount of carbs and protein, and help assist with manipulating your carbs and protein, while staying within your caloric restriction. The RD can also monitor your labs or recommend labs get checked to ensure your safety while losing weight and exercising.
    MS, RD, LDN, CSCS, ACSM-HFS-CPT, NASE-SES, NASM-PES-CES-CPT, NSCA-CPT, IYCA-HSSCC-YSAS1-YFS1

Train Hard, Bleed Less jmossthnp's Avatar
    jmossthnp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmossthnp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmossthnp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmossthnp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmossthnp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmossthnp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmossthnp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmossthnp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmossthnp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Try using what the body has used for thousands of years good ol clean food, i.e. chicken, lean steak, fish, I use 90% lean sirloin hamburger. Carbs, brown rice, oatmeal, yams, and vegges. Look, shakes are fine but they will never reaplace good clean food. If you continue to listen to doctors you will look like a skinny fat man the rest of your life.

Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by bison4life View Post
    Why do you need high protein, and why can't you get adequate protein from 1500-2000 calories/day?

2000 calories

There's no reason why you can't improve muscle hypertrophy on this calorie level, but you will be limited by genetics. And you may have to lower your expectations for bulking up.

You may want to consider seeing a registered dietitian who can assist you with your diet prescription. The RD can help ensure you're getting the right amount of carbs and protein, and help assist with manipulating your carbs and protein, while staying within your caloric restriction. The RD can also monitor your labs or recommend labs get checked to ensure your safety while losing weight and exercising.
    So you just set up macros based on a percentage? you do realise 300g carbs is a tonne for someone who's metabolism and abillity to utilise carbs you know NOTHING about right? how about giving them 100g of Protein when you dont know the bodyweight or LBM for that matter? How about you put down the text book and dont give of this rubbish as a starting point for a diet....that may be harsh but some lurkers may will follow this thinking it is the right way to go about it. Macros should be INDIVIDUALLY set and ADJUSTED according to each person....not a 20/60/20 percentage split
    Stay humble. I will never see myself as even an above average bodybuilder. Regardless of how many shows you win, stay grounded and aim for improvement.

-Brian Whitacre

Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jmossthnp View Post
    Try using what the body has used for thousands of years good ol clean food, i.e. chicken, lean steak, fish, I use 90% lean sirloin hamburger. Carbs, brown rice, oatmeal, yams, and vegges. Look, shakes are fine but they will never reaplace good clean food. If you continue to listen to doctors you will look like a skinny fat man the rest of your life.
    its not so much the food but the calorie level and the macro nutrient split up that will get the OP gaining size THE RIGHT WAY!
    Stay humble. I will never see myself as even an above average bodybuilder. Regardless of how many shows you win, stay grounded and aim for improvement.

-Brian Whitacre

bostonaustin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

2000 calories

couldnt have said this better.. great answer!
    -Austin James
    Certified Personal/Online Trainer
    Men's Physique Competitor
    Instagram: @aaustin_jamess
    austin@ajxaesthetics.com

bison4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bison4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bison4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bison4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bison4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bison4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bison4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bison4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Exa123 View Post
    So you just set up macros based on a percentage? you do realise 300g carbs is a tonne for someone who's metabolism and abillity to utilise carbs you know NOTHING about right? how about giving them 100g of Protein when you dont know the bodyweight or LBM for that matter? How about you put down the text book and dont give of this rubbish as a starting point for a diet....that may be harsh but some lurkers may will follow this thinking it is the right way to go about it. Macros should be INDIVIDUALLY set and ADJUSTED according to each person....not a 20/60/20 percentage split
    And you base your opinion on what science? I have 18 years of professional experience as an RD and exercise scientist. I'm not new to the game and have planned 1000's of meal plans throughout my career.

300 grams of carbs is not excessive for someone who's physically active, which he stated he was/would be, and you must've overlooked the part where I suggested he visit a registered dietitian. Maybe I should have suggested that he visit you since you apparently are an expert on diet prescriptions.

Not to sound harsh, but there may be lurkers who are reading your post. Maybe you should put the fitness magazines down and pick up some physiology, biochemistry, nutritional biochemistry, endocrinology, and nutrition books and learn the science behind bioenergetics and metabolism.
    MS, RD, LDN, CSCS, ACSM-HFS-CPT, NASE-SES, NASM-PES-CES-CPT, NSCA-CPT, IYCA-HSSCC-YSAS1-YFS1

And you base your opinion on what science? I have 18 years of professional experience as an RD and exercise scientist. I'm not new to the game and have planned 1000's of meal plans throughout my career.

300 grams of carbs is not excessive for someone who's physically active, which he stated he was/would be, and you must've overlooked the part where I suggested he visit a registered dietitian. Maybe I should have suggested that he visit you since you apparently are an expert on diet prescriptions.

Not to sound harsh, but there may be lurkers who are reading your post. Maybe you should put the fitness magazines down and pick up some physiology, biochemistry, nutritional biochemistry, endocrinology, and nutrition books and learn the science behind bioenergetics and metabolism.
    2000 calories
    THese are the macros you suggest after 18 years of profesion? the OP has given NOTHING on his weight, pictures, how he handles carbs, and you just blindly gave him those macros, yes he may gain but i can assure you unless the op weighed 100lbs they will not going to grow any substantial amount of lean muscle tissue off 100g of protein.

FYI i dont own nor read fitness magazines, i research off the internet and also APPLY TO REAL LIFE. My post may have been disrespectful and i apologise for coming off as such.

-Brian Whitacre

txpowerbuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Muscle Gain

It ain't going to happen legally

THese are the macros you suggest after 18 years of profesion? the OP has given NOTHING on his weight, pictures, how he handles carbs, and you just blindly gave him those macros, yes he may gain but i can assure you unless the op weighed 100lbs they will not going to grow any substantial amount of lean muscle tissue off 100g of protein.

FYI i dont own nor read fitness magazines, i research off the internet and also APPLY TO REAL LIFE. My post may have been disrespectful and i apologise for coming off as such.
    Not a problem. What I provided him was a guideline based on the info he provided, and I provided general information,as a starting point.

True, I probably should have asked about his medical history, e.g. diabetes or kidney disease, but I assumed he was just obese and did recommend he see a registered dietitian for more individualized counseling and meal plan.

Not a problem. What I provided him was a guideline based on the info he provided, and I provided general information,as a starting point.

True, I probably should have asked about his medical history, e.g. diabetes or kidney disease, but I assumed he was just obese and did recommend he see a registered dietitian for more individualized counseling and meal plan.
    i cant understand why he had lapband surgery and now wants to gain lean muscle? calories are restricted to a set amount and he is going to be fighting tooth and nail for whatever gains possible. Seems odd to me, i read that you reccomended he see and RD and in this case that would be appropriate. I just am not a fan of using %'s for macro manipulation. My starting points (which will be a dynamic set of numbers, as they will change when more knowledge and how the person/client responds to certain macros) is

1-1.3g/lb of Protein (higher end if more endo, lower end if more ecto qualities)
    20% total calories from Fats
    Remaining calories to come from Carbohydrates

-Brian Whitacre

NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Fellas,

Your hearts are in the right place trying to help out the OP. But he asked on the 8th of September. It is now the 18th. He is yet to post #2 response. I think he gave up already.
    This above all..
    To thine ownself be true..
    And it must follow, as the night the day..
    Thou can'st not then be false to any man..
    -----------------------------------------------
    Bros, my Weightlifters and Powerlifters are my credentials.

it.hunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) it.hunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) it.hunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) it.hunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) it.hunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) it.hunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) it.hunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) it.hunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) it.hunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) it.hunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) it.hunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    its possible i reckon....but protein shakes will be needed

HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    if you take cell-tech, it is possible.

otherwise, um no

seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Bench heavy, eat lots, sleep long. Squat heavy, eat lots, sleep long. Sprint hard, eat lots, sleep long. Deadlift heavy, eat lots, sleep long. Sprint hard, eat lots, sleep long. Rest. Rest. Repeat.

HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by seabass08 View Post
    Bench heavy, eat lots, sleep long. Squat heavy, eat lots, sleep long. Sprint hard, eat lots, sleep long. Deadlift heavy, eat lots, sleep long. Sprint hard, eat lots, sleep long. Rest. Rest. Repeat.
    doesnt make a damn bit of difference for muscle gain if u do all this **** and only take in 1500 cals a day. u dumb?

seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by HitItHard View Post
    doesnt make a damn bit of difference for muscle gain if u do all this **** and only take in 1500 cals a day. u dumb?
    Did you miss my references to "eat lots"?????? No, I'm not dumb. 1500 calories a day does not = "eat lots". Some dumb ass personal trainers may convince people they can build muscle with only 1500 calories a day while also burning fat, while ALSO doing it all with only minimal effort in an air conditioned gym doing comfortable low impact workouts. But it's bull.

So lets review:

Bench a lot. Eat a lot. Sleep a lot.
    Sprint a lot. Eat a lot. Sleep a lot.
    Squat a lot. Eat a lot. Sleep a lot.
    Sprint a lot. Eat a lot. Sleep a lot.
    Deadlift a lot. Eat a lot. Sleep a lot.
    Rest. Eat. Sleep.
    Rest. Eat. Sleep.
    Repeat weekly.

Watch muscle grow. Watch fat burn.

There. I should be a personal trainer and charge $100 an hour. But I dont want people to waste their hard earned $$$ on **** they can learn and do themselves. So I'd never be a PT.

Train Hard, Bleed Less jmossthnp's Avatar
    jmossthnp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmossthnp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmossthnp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmossthnp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmossthnp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmossthnp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmossthnp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmossthnp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmossthnp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    its not so much the food but the calorie level and the macro nutrient split up that will get the OP gaining size THE RIGHT WAY!
    I understand that, however if you read his post it as if he believes he will not gain without the use of shakes and stuff. Well, food is always better than any supplement.

Originally Posted by jmossthnp View Post
    I understand that, however if you read his post it as if he believes he will not gain without the use of shakes and stuff. Well, food is always better than any supplement.
    Very true. I have always said get most from food. Supplement if necessary. Some of our football players are trying to take in just massive amounts of protein, because in camp and season they burn god-knows how many calories a day, 5,000, 7,000, just brutal in camp. So, to avoid muscle loss, they take in upwards of 400 grams of protein a day or more. Using powder is about only way they are really able to keep that up.

Mcampbell378 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

What if 1,500 calories is my maintenance

I’m a teenager and I’m looking to get in to body building I got my macros set up I eat 130g of protein a day and I weigh about 120
    I want to gain lean muscle but I don’t know if I’m doing the right diet and or the right workouts I want to see good physique before I start a lean bulk

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    As a novice, you do not need to count macros. That's majoring in the minors. You need a base of a good healthy diet.

Every day, eat,

3 cups vegies
    3 pieces of fruit
    3 cups cooked grains, mostly wholegrain like oats
    3 serves meat, fish or beans, where a "serve" is 100g meat/fish or a cup of beans
    3 serves dairy, where a "serve" is a cup of milk, 4/5 cup of yoghurt, or 40g hard cheese
    3 cups of water

Once you have consumed all that, eat whatever you want. Do that for 3 months along with proper lifting and cardio and then adjust based on results. You can adjust which of the various you choose, for example chicken breast is higher protein, beans are lower protein but higher carbs so might be useful for a distance runner; reduced fat dairy is appropriate for big people trying to get smaller, and full fat for small people trying to get bigger.

Fitness Anarchist SerpentHearted's Avatar
    SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    had lapband surgery but wants to bulk up?

this makes no sense from the git go.

eat according to the professional advice you've been given post surgery and follow any decent strength program assuming you have been cleared to do so.

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    The OP was nine years ago, Dave, I reckon he's sorted by now.

I was responding to Mcampbell378.