tylan is on a distinguished road. (+10) tylan is on a distinguished road. (+10) tylan is on a distinguished road. (+10) tylan is on a distinguished road. (+10) tylan is on a distinguished road. (+10) tylan is on a distinguished road. (+10) tylan is on a distinguished road. (+10) tylan is on a distinguished road. (+10) tylan is on a distinguished road. (+10) tylan is on a distinguished road. (+10) tylan is on a distinguished road. (+10)

PowerBlock U-50 or U-90

Through this forum I have come across the PowerBlock. I have checked them out in person at a fitness supply store. I was ready to but the U-90, until I realized that they are less granular... because of the 10lb increments. I think I can live with losing the 12.5, 22.5, 32.5 etc. But I don't like that you have to mess around with the adder weights to increase or decrease by 5lbs.

So here's where I'm at...
    In the past 7 months I've dropped 55lbs+. I'm 5'6" & 155lbs, 29 years old. It had been years since I lifted prior to starting this year. When I lifted 5 or so years ago, I don't believe that I ever benched much more than 185. My workout has been the Power 90 (DVD Pre-P90X) for the past few months. I'm also doing some of the workout routines for all-dumbbell that I have seen on bb.com. Currently I just have a few dumbbells with the heaviest being 35lbs. I need to add some heavier for chest press and dead lifts.. but also need to fill in gaps in the low range.

So before I drop $400, I was looking for some input from the same forum that introduced me to the PowerBlock. I just can't imagine me using a 90lb db, but I'd hate to outgrow a 50lb.

Thanks in advance,
    Tylan

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    If you ever move to a strength routine or bodybuilding routine of any type you will want more than 50#'s per side. Personally I would only buy the kit that allows for growth up to 120 but thats just me.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Well if you plan on progressing, 50 s wont last long at all.

tylan is on a distinguished road. (+10) tylan is on a distinguished road. (+10) tylan is on a distinguished road. (+10) tylan is on a distinguished road. (+10) tylan is on a distinguished road. (+10) tylan is on a distinguished road. (+10) tylan is on a distinguished road. (+10) tylan is on a distinguished road. (+10) tylan is on a distinguished road. (+10) tylan is on a distinguished road. (+10) tylan is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    @WildTim
    The U-90s come in 3 stages. Stage 1 - 5-50, Stage 2 - up to 90, and Stage 3 - up to 125.

The U-50s aren't upgradeable.. unless PowerBlock releases "heavy handles" at some point. But that's a big "IF".

I kinda figured that I would get replies that suggested the upgradeable ones. I just caught a bit in Men's Health where they were showing home gym essentials, and they showed the SportBlock that went up to 50lbs... so I began to question my original thoughts of the U-90 set.

cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz
    I'm going to be an echo...but you'll blow through to 50# before you know it.

And I'm with Wildtim, when I go to get some DBs...I'll probably be looking at ones that expand to 120lbs.

FYI, if it were me....I would go with these http://www.ironmaster.com/store/Quic...Rack-pr-2.html

I like the durability of them and that they are expandable from the base set...
    Last edited by cgc; 08-31-2010 at 12:05 PM.
    "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

The more I workout at commercial gyms, the more I hate commercial gyms.

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

muj will become famous soon enough. (+50) muj will become famous soon enough. (+50) muj will become famous soon enough. (+50) muj will become famous soon enough. (+50) muj will become famous soon enough. (+50) muj will become famous soon enough. (+50) muj will become famous soon enough. (+50) muj will become famous soon enough. (+50) muj will become famous soon enough. (+50) muj will become famous soon enough. (+50) muj will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    u-90s for the same reasons mentioned above - good to have the potential for expansion if/when needed.

m

keeko is a jewel in the rough. (+500) keeko is a jewel in the rough. (+500) keeko is a jewel in the rough. (+500) keeko is a jewel in the rough. (+500) keeko is a jewel in the rough. (+500) keeko is a jewel in the rough. (+500) keeko is a jewel in the rough. (+500) keeko is a jewel in the rough. (+500) keeko is a jewel in the rough. (+500) keeko is a jewel in the rough. (+500) keeko is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    here comes the broken record-50 will not last long. off the bat I can think of a bunch of exercises where you can probably lift a lot more than 50 *right now*, e.g. bent over rows, bench press, lawnmower, shrug, etc.
    labor vincit omnia

video meliora proboque, deteriora sequor

solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant

jameslavis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by keeko View Post
    here comes the broken record-50 will not last long. off the bat I can think of a bunch of exercises where you can probably lift a lot more than 50 *right now*, e.g. bent over rows, bench press, lawnmower, shrug, etc.
    I'd stay away from the u-series and go sport 9's. Not a fan of plastic, the sports were a nice compromise between the old powerblocks and the new u-series.

They are urethane coated metal plates, right? Not just plastic?

Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by tylan View Post
    They are urethane coated metal plates, right? Not just plastic?
    correct... but beacuse of the coating they are bigger than the sport, and for some reason the handle opening is smaller as well. The Urethane coating keeps the noise factor down, and looks pretty sweet imo. But the added size and smaller opening bug me... I'm happy with my Sports.

labuski has a spectacular aura about. (+250) labuski has a spectacular aura about. (+250) labuski has a spectacular aura about. (+250) labuski has a spectacular aura about. (+250) labuski has a spectacular aura about. (+250) labuski has a spectacular aura about. (+250) labuski has a spectacular aura about. (+250) labuski has a spectacular aura about. (+250) labuski has a spectacular aura about. (+250) labuski has a spectacular aura about. (+250) labuski has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i have the u-90's. the size is actually a turn off, but the quick change is slick as heck. but if i could do it all over again i think i would have went with the ironmasters /sadface

yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by labuski View Post
    i have the u-90's. the size is actually a turn off, but the quick change is slick as heck. but if i could do it all over again i think i would have went with the ironmasters /sadface
    Why?

jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000)
    go with the sport 9.0s

i cut up hard plastic dividers (from binders) into a few 5x4" pieces and shove them between a few of the metal plates if I want to make them completely silent and solid feeling

works perfect

muj will become famous soon enough. (+50) muj will become famous soon enough. (+50) muj will become famous soon enough. (+50) muj will become famous soon enough. (+50) muj will become famous soon enough. (+50) muj will become famous soon enough. (+50) muj will become famous soon enough. (+50) muj will become famous soon enough. (+50) muj will become famous soon enough. (+50) muj will become famous soon enough. (+50) muj will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    compared to the other powerblock models - the u-series is attractive for the lifetime warranty alone.

m

I hate to resurrect this thread... but since it's mine I will :-)

I hear what all of you are saying about outgrowing the U-50s, but the U-90s need to use the adders for the 5lb increments... that just seems clumsy and slow. Has anyone used the U-90s for P90x?
    Last edited by tylan; 09-06-2010 at 05:46 AM.

Gazi is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gazi is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gazi is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gazi is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gazi is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gazi is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gazi is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gazi is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gazi is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gazi is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gazi is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm not very familiar with the P90x program, but I saw a youtube vid of a guy who preferred the U-50 over the U-90 for the program.

My take on that is,

If you opt for the U-50 life will be a little easier when doing P90x, but when you're not doing P90x you can't upgrade past 50 lbs.

You can make do with the U-90 for P90x, albeit a bit more work fiddling with the adder weights. When your finished with P90x you can still lift more than 50 lbs.

So I picked up a set of U-90s...

I don't care for the adder weights, it makes them feel unbalanced at low weights... such as 20lbs. Quite honestly they feel dopey at the low weights. I did like them for chest press... I put up a few sets of 8 @ 50lbs and I liked the way they felt.

Its like I like them for heavy work, but not for light stuff. Do these take some time to get used to, or are they not for me? I think I spoiled from using nothing but hex dumbbells since I started working out regularly earlier this year.
    Last edited by tylan; 09-07-2010 at 07:05 AM.

urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Here is my take on the situation, and I have a set of 45lb powerblocks and have used the P90X program on and off for a couple years. If I were going to buy a new set I would go with the U50 over the U90. Especially if I was going to use them specifically for the P90X program. Here are my reasons:

1) Ease of Use: The program jumps very quickly from set to set and you do not have time to mess around with the adder weights. Now you can always hit the pause button if you wanted, but I like to keep time with the program and dont want to hit Pause/Play every 30 seconds. But this is my preference.

2) How much weight do you need? Now I have heard many people say you will outgrow the U50 quickly. But, I'm willing to bet many of these people have never used the program to understand the intensity level. And by intensity, I mean the amount of rest in between each set. This program is designed to move very quickly, and they only stop after 3-4 sets (of different movements) for about 30-60 seconds. This is a pride swallowing routine my friends, I grab for MUCH lighter weight than I would when working out in my gym.

3) Variety: Many of these lifts are more designer in nature and incorporate a different twist that makes them 2x harder than normal. I would consider it extremely rare for someone to be able to do "In and Out" curls for 16 reps with more than 50lbs. Many of the traditional lifts are not incorporated in this program.

4) (Picky) Selector Pin: The U-Series I believe uses the plastic or composite selector pin that is deisgned to flex with the plates. It is different than the classic series metal pins and it was a pain in the @ss to change weight.

Now, like I said above, I have used the P90X program before and I also have a home gym like many in this forum (Rack, lat pulldown, ect.). IMO the ideal situation would be to buy a 45-55lb set of Powerblocks to keep inside for P90X. Then on down the road buy a heavy set of Ironmasters for your garage/basement home gym. Also, I would suggest looking at the Sport 5.5 (55lbs) so you could get a little more weight for less money compared to the U-Series.

smitty67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smitty67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smitty67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smitty67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smitty67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smitty67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smitty67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smitty67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smitty67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smitty67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smitty67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Even on P90X, you should easily eventually need to use higher weights for things like rows. P90X is not about light weights / high reps even though people often have this misconception. It's about using whatever weight challenges you to barely finish in your chosen rep range (8 to 10 or 12 to 15).

I also didn't like the fact that the adder weights were needed for the 5 lb increments, but it's really not that big of a deal once you get it down.

urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by smitty67 View Post
    Even on P90X, you should easily eventually need to use higher weights for things like rows. P90X is not about light weights / high reps even though people often have this misconception. It's about using whatever weight challenges you to barely finish in your chosen rep range (8 to 10 or 12 to 15).

I also didn't like the fact that the adder weights were needed for the 5 lb increments, but it's really not that big of a deal once you get it down.

No misconception about the light weights / high reps here, part of my thinking was based off his stats. He is 29 @ 155lbs (never benched more than 185lbs) and I was assuming he is using it mainly for P90 or eventually P90X. Poeple were saying he will outgrow them quickly, when many of the lifts where you should be able to go heavier are not incorporated in P90X. You mentioned one of the only lifts where he would need more soon and there are variations to help with that.

jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000)
    Sport 5.0's - if you eventually want more weight get the 25lbs stage 2 kit and the 20lb heavy handles.

Then you have 90lbs dumbbells with quick 5lb granularity, and only 14.5 inches wide

Edit: this probably needs modification since part of the heavy handles gets in the way of the 25lbs addon connector.
    Last edited by jormone; 09-08-2010 at 05:47 PM.

Originally Posted by jormone View Post
    Sport 5.0's - if you eventually want more weight get the 25lbs stage 2 kit and the 20lb heavy handles.

Then you have 90lbs dumbbells with quick 5lb granularity, and only 14.5 inches wide
    I dont see that option on their website, the stage two kit for the sport series works with the Sport 5.0? I just placed my order for the Sport 5.0's today, I paid $100 for my classic set and sold them on CL for $180. I didnt plan on selling them but I got a random offer when someone picked up some other equipment.

Originally Posted by urbanlifter View Post
    I dont see that option on their website, the stage two kit for the sport series works with the Sport 5.0? I just placed my order for the Sport 5.0's today, I paid $100 for my classic set and sold them on CL for $180. I didnt plan on selling them but I got a random offer when someone picked up some other equipment.
    The sport 5 stage 2 kit is 25lbs and fits sport 5/5.5. It is different from the sport 9.0 stage 2 kit which is 50lbs and only fits the 9.0s.

powerblock.com/sport5stage2.htm

Pollux82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pollux82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pollux82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pollux82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pollux82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pollux82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pollux82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pollux82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pollux82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pollux82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pollux82 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by tylan View Post
    but I'd hate to outgrow a 50lb.
    Definitely get the U90

You can buy an extra set of handles for super fast 5lb changes. If you really need it.
    I would get U90s stage I and see if I can get used to manipulating the adder weights. And buy extra handles if you really need it quicker. But they aren't slow at all.

Originally Posted by jormone View Post
    The sport 5 stage 2 kit is 25lbs and fits sport 5/5.5. It is different from the sport 9.0 stage 2 kit which is 50lbs and only fits the 9.0s.

powerblock.com/sport5stage2.htm
    I'll have to call Powerblock on that one, It doesnt look like they offer that upgrade anymore. Only thing I can find online is a guy who talked about how they stopped making that kit earlier this year and how the sport 5.0 cores are the only way you can expand them now.

Originally Posted by urbanlifter View Post
    I'll have to call Powerblock on that one, It doesnt look like they offer that upgrade anymore. Only thing I can find online is a guy who talked about how they stopped making that kit earlier this year and how the sport 5.0 cores are the only way you can expand them now.
    Looks like they sold out. I bought them during the sale:

i55.tinypic.com/33oit0x.png

Some local store/distributor might still have them, try google, ie:

fitnesstown.ca/qs/product.php?product_id=442298&category_id=7133