chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Prep without a coach

Soo... I'm toying with the idea of competing in late spring on my own. I competed twice this season (3rd and 4th place, respectively) only a year after having my son. I plan to build as much as I can until then and have started HST and am experimenting with diet as well. I have all my diet and training plans from last year but I expect each competition to be unique in prep.

I would love to use a coach but just can't afford it. I love the stage and I enjoyed the hard work so taking another year off is a difficult decision for me. I feel the need to be on that stage...

I'm very driven and dedicated and knowledgeable about dieting techniques, tweaking, peaking, drying out etc and would love to give it a shot (admittedly I don't know everything. I do spend time every single day reading anything new I can get my hands on!)...

just looking for advice/input and considerations in making this decision, especially from those who have successfully brought themselves to the stage!
    "The more you tell me I can't do something the more successful I will be at making you look like a fool" - C. Cutting

"There will always be reasons not to do something... will there ever be enough to do it?" C. Cutting

"Waiting for motivation to come to you may work sometimes but the most successful people always go looking for it when it is lacking" C. Cutting

chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm planning to prep for figure BTW... did briefly consider bikini but my coach from this past season advised to skip it
    "The more you tell me I can't do something the more successful I will be at making you look like a fool" - C. Cutting

"There will always be reasons not to do something... will there ever be enough to do it?" C. Cutting

"Waiting for motivation to come to you may work sometimes but the most successful people always go looking for it when it is lacking" C. Cutting

EBA84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EBA84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EBA84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EBA84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EBA84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EBA84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EBA84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EBA84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EBA84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EBA84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EBA84 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have been competing for 20 plus years and have never used a prep coach. Always did it my self. I have people whose opinions I trust look at me but I make the diet adjustments based on their feedback.
    2008 IFBB North America Over 40 Super Heavyweight Class Winner
    2008 NPC Masters Nationals Super Heavyweight Class Winner
    2007 NABBA Nationals Overall Masters Over 40 Champion
    2007 NABBA Nationals Overall Mens Open Champion

mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If you've already competed and had a coach, you know what to do. Ain't nothin' left but to do it!

mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by EBA84 View Post
    I have been competing for 20 plus years and have never used a prep coach. Always did it my self. I have people whose opinions I trust look at me but I make the diet adjustments based on their feedback.
    Are you doing the Universe this year? Go for it!

EBA84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EBA84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EBA84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EBA84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EBA84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EBA84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EBA84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EBA84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EBA84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EBA84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EBA84 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by mrusa85 View Post
    Are you doing the Universe this year? Go for it!
    Yes. About 8 weeks to go. Looking forward to it. Should be an experience.
    2008 IFBB North America Over 40 Super Heavyweight Class Winner
    2008 NPC Masters Nationals Super Heavyweight Class Winner
    2007 NABBA Nationals Overall Masters Over 40 Champion
    2007 NABBA Nationals Overall Mens Open Champion

zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    A second set of eyes can be very helpful. People can be too hard on themselves or way too optimistic about what they really look like. Someone with experience can be very helpful in that area. I've competed twice and cut once without a coach. My 1st time was a real learning experience. I used what I learned during my 2nd contest prep and came out in pretty decent shape and did much better overall. I've learned enough about the sport and most importantly my body to be able to be pretty successful by doing it alone. However, I've also learned that having someone elses experience, eyes, and point of view/perspective can be very helpful and could be the difference between winning and losing. I'll most likely hire a prep coach the next time I step on stage.
    1708 total @220 Raw
    Improve my total every time I step on the platform.

Being a male is a matter of birth. However, being a "man" is a matter of choice.

Photo in Avi is not current, I'm way fatter now.

db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000)
    As a trainer/coach I can say if or once you are in touch with your body and how it responds, you do not "need" a coach for contest prep or peaking. A coach should use their experience to help learn your body with you and steer you in the right direction. Most of my very serious clients from years back who stayed with me for awhile are all Independent now. Lots of trainers have a goal to obtain and retain a client, but I rather educate and teach them how to understand their own body to be independent.

Use the information and experience you have already acquired from your previous shows. I couldn't give you any specific advice because I didn't see how you really did and conditioned your self. But if your conditioning was on point and you didn't get any feedback that it was off, you should be perfect to do the next comp on your own. Take the constructive criticism and attack any points you agree are valid with some strategic action. Good Luck, if you have any specific questions feel free to contact me I don't charge for that.
    *Muscle-Tech & Vitargo Sponsored*
    - www.ApexDiets.com - Online Personal Training - Designing Customized Workouts, Diets, Meal Plans, Cardio, Core, and Supplement routines with Unlimited Support since 2002
    - Email: Dave@ApexContestPrep.com

THANK YOU for all the replies!

I placed 3rd in my first comp... 4th (of only 4) in my second (a level up from the 1st)--> profile pic is my second comp. I was leaner but carb loaded a little less and cut water a bit later and came in very lean but also a bit flat. When I woke up I felt like a string and was mentally off the whole day... but 2 comps in just over 2 months was rough for my first time and I was burnt out.

In the end it all depends on finances at that time but I have every intention of trying my hand at it this time and bringing in a nice 1st place trophy so be rest assured I'll the forum monkey looking to sponge up every bit of advice I can

Thx guys!

fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I don't think you need a trainer. Looking back, I might have done even better if I would have prepped by myself, since I understand my body quite well.

It's helpful sometimes for a first competition, but if you know what to expect afterward, I think it's quite possible to go your own way.
    ^_^

larkinsandrea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Total newbie

I'm competing for the first time ever with no coach.. I even made my own suit! The only thing I'm "splurging" on is a posing class.. I didn't want to spend all the money this time, only to decide that I don't like the sport.. After this time, I'll decide if I want to take it seriously.. I have genes on my side anyway, so although I'm not gonna win, I won't look like a total fat ass on stage.. which is fine with me

If you've done it with a coach, I think you can do it without!

Pro Natural Bodybuilder FATHER FLEX's Avatar
    FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Layne Norton(great trainer himself!) wrote a good article on MD magazine how to pick a coach.

Personally I don't think its a must, posing trunks or suit are a must! :P I do however think it really helps if you find the right individual. While its up to the individual to put in the work, an objective eye is an awesome thing to have, more so one that is well versed in prepping all kinds of athletes.

Also one thing I find very important is word of mouth, in the case of show prep, good work speaks for iteself...literally.
    100% Natural Bodybuilding!
    http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

Where there are no men be a man.

Even a genius asks questions.

Knowledge is the child of confusion.

WhiteFiberz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WhiteFiberz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WhiteFiberz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WhiteFiberz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WhiteFiberz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WhiteFiberz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WhiteFiberz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WhiteFiberz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WhiteFiberz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WhiteFiberz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WhiteFiberz is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by FATHER FLEX View Post
    Also one thing I find very important is word of mouth, in the case of show prep, good work speaks for iteself...literally.
    Heard those 3DMJ guys do a halfway decent job
    Workout Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144371531&p=872994571#post872994571

Team 3DMJ
    www.3dmusclejourney.com