Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by KimPossible98 View Post
    oh and sbilyeu75 - I love your profile time lapse picture! Good work so far, keep it up!
    Thanks. I feel I've been at a stand still lately. I think when I hit a year, I'm going to redo the pics to show every 6 months (at least for the previous year). I've not figured out how come the pictures get smaller and smaller, but I'm no photoshop pro either.

Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by sbilyeu75 View Post
    Last night when I was watching a video, the girl went up on her toes during the jackknife. At first, I thought that's what I was going to have to do.

I have a lot of body fat (30%), I'm worried about eating so much, but I guess I'll see how it goes.
    This ^^ I'm assuming, was the pike variation. If you keep your legs straight and lift your hips up until your toes are on the ball it's quite a bit harder than the normal jackknives.
    If you aren't willing to work for it, you probably don't deserve it. Victory is paid for in sweat, courage, and preparation, and if you aren't ready to lead or follow you had better be ready to get the hell out of the way.

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=127157663&page=22

borcherding has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) borcherding has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) borcherding has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) borcherding has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) borcherding has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) borcherding has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) borcherding has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) borcherding has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) borcherding has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) borcherding has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) borcherding has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by danibel View Post
    Starting Stage 4 tomorrow. I heard it's just like Stage 2, which I didn't enjoy, so I'm a bit nervous.

A 120 second plank?! I was shaking all over the place during the 90 second one... at a 45 degree angle, too! Any advice on how to improve?
    ^^^^THIS!!^^^^ Totally agree!! I hate that damn ball AND the planks!! 120 is NOT in the cards for me!! I am starting Stage 4 tomorrow!! I can't take it anymore-tried to take this week off and it's killing me not lifting weights!! Sounds like you and I are pretty much on the same schedule. ;-) I didn't mind stage 2 (workout A)...definitely felt it in my legs. I'll be curious to see if I'm able to start with the same weight that I ended in Stage 2. Does that make sense??

jabisk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jabisk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jabisk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jabisk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jabisk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jabisk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jabisk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jabisk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jabisk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jabisk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jabisk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

just stumbled on this post :)

I am nearly the end of stage 1. I love the workouts. I finished P90X at the end of July and wasn't sure what I wanted to do next and picked up NROL4W and have been so happy that I did. Two concerns....(1) is that I don't really feel like my upper body is making as much progress and my lower body. I still have a long way to go before I am lifting decent amounts of weight but get bummed when I can't increase weight for upper body. In time I guess. (2) I worry about form a lot. I know that it isn't going to do any good spending time working out if I am not lifting right. I workout at home in the garage and have been pulling up videos to check others' form and occasionally can drag hubby into garage to watch for a minute, but still worry...especially about squats and DL.

My only concern has been my diet lately. I have been a human garbage machine. I was doing good over summer with tracking food and prepping food the night before but now that the school year has started for the kids and myself (<------teacher), I am letting the diet go more than I would like. I really need to get myself back on track so am hoping to do so this week! I really need to start tracking again because I am sure it is stress related and that I am not getting in as many cal as I need to be.

Apologizes for rambling but I was so excited to see this thread. Hope all is going well for everyone following the program and would love any words of advice from those who are farther along.

birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jabisk View Post
    I am nearly the end of stage 1. I love the workouts. I finished P90X at the end of July and wasn't sure what I wanted to do next and picked up NROL4W and have been so happy that I did. Two concerns....(1) is that I don't really feel like my upper body is making as much progress and my lower body. I still have a long way to go before I am lifting decent amounts of weight but get bummed when I can't increase weight for upper body. In time I guess. (2) I worry about form a lot. I know that it isn't going to do any good spending time working out if I am not lifting right. I workout at home in the garage and have been pulling up videos to check others' form and occasionally can drag hubby into garage to watch for a minute, but still worry...especially about squats and DL.

My only concern has been my diet lately. I have been a human garbage machine. I was doing good over summer with tracking food and prepping food the night before but now that the school year has started for the kids and myself (<------teacher), I am letting the diet go more than I would like. I really need to get myself back on track so am hoping to do so this week! I really need to start tracking again because I am sure it is stress related and that I am not getting in as many cal as I need to be.

Apologizes for rambling but I was so excited to see this thread. Hope all is going well for everyone following the program and would love any words of advice from those who are farther along.
    Regarding the upper body, the muscles there are smaller and females tend to gain slower there anyway, so it's usually normal not to be able to increase upper body as much as lower. Yes it's frustrating, but as long as you *do* make gains over time all should be good. Have you watched the Squat Rx videos, and anything by Rippetoe? You will learn a lot about form that way. You can also videotape yourself and post for advice on your particular form, too.

As far as diet, best thing is plan ahead and pack ahead. I too started school and it's a pain to pack food for myself (and my kids), but I gotta do what I gotta do. If it makes it easier, you can pre-cook/pack a few days in advance, too.

I just realized that today was my final workout of stage 2 - I did 4 of each workout. Just as I was getting the hang of everything and increasing pretty good! That's one thing that slightly annoys me, is that with each stage it feels like I spend so much time learning the moves that I don't get an effective muscle-building workout till I'm a bit into it. So, I guess I will take a break till next Saturday.

With food, I'm feeling crappy. I think that nasty blueberry pancake had some mean pathogens on it. Yesterday I had to force feed myself dinner to meet my cals. This morning I did okay with my tiny pre-workout food (I can only eat very little before workout out, normally), but started feeling rundown during my HIIT and took that slower than usual. Got home and did not feel hungry *at all* (unusual) and slightly nauseous. Forced in my PWO shake and it took me ages to eat my breakfast. Then I felt so lethargic, sorta trembly, and my tummy was very off, so I had to lay down. After a couple hours I felt closer to normal (didn't actually sleep, though). Had a tiny temp after getting up, and managed to snack a little and tummy is doing okay now. Hopefully I am getting over whatever was going on and I can at least get my protein in for today.

Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000)
    I seem to have the opposite gaining problem, in that my upper body is increasing alot more than I thought it would and my lower body alot less. They're both still increasing, though, so I just chalk it up to the fact that I trained my lower body about 3x more than my upper body before I started NROL4W.

Thanks to all of you who gave me deadlift advice again! I did my first 2x12 set workout B today in stage 1 and they were much better. I didn't increase the weight at all, and I still definitely feel like my lower back muscles are the weakest link, but my legs were burning after these today. Before, I couldn't feel it anywhere but my back. A tiny bit of form tweaking can make a huge difference.
    If you aren't willing to work for it, you probably don't deserve it. Victory is paid for in sweat, courage, and preparation, and if you aren't ready to lead or follow you had better be ready to get the hell out of the way.

birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Ameinseto View Post
    Thanks to all of you who gave me deadlift advice again! I did my first 2x12 set workout B today in stage 1 and they were much better. I didn't increase the weight at all, and I still definitely feel like my lower back muscles are the weakest link, but my legs were burning after these today. Before, I couldn't feel it anywhere but my back. A tiny bit of form tweaking can make a huge difference.
    Yay on your deadlifts!

I just realized that stage 2 really was only about 2 1/2 weeks, I probably don't even need a break. Did you all take breaks between each stage, or just like every 2 months or so? I might just skip my next usual workout day to make sure all my muscles are fully recovered, but then again I usually start out with lower weights starting a new stage, so would that even be necessary?

zmoney23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi Ladies,

Been lurking for a while, but was so excited when I saw a thread for NROL4W that I just had to post. I sometimes visit the JP Fitness forum as well. I currently have one workout left in stage 2 and very excited to start stage 3 next week. I probably won't take off as this stage was so short any way. I am currently 11 weeks pregnant with my second child, so my goals are not necessarily for huge strength gains but more to maintain my current level of fitness. I know as I get into the second trimester and my energy returns more, I'll be able to more steadily increase my weight. Having said that, I have a question for fellow stage twoers and beyond, what do your numbers look like for the front squat push press? I know I know you're not supposed to compare to others and blah blah blah, but I'm just curious. I started stage 2 when I was 8 weeks pregnant and feeling super crappy, so I thought that's why my numbers were so low (40lbs) I have only been able to increase up to 45lbs, and I am really struggling by the time I get to ten reps. Just wondering if this is "normal" or because of the pregnancy and being so tired. In the beginning, I really couldn't keep down any type of protein, for about 3 weeks, I couldn't even look at meat, but the past week or so, I am able to eat greek yogurt again, protein bars, shakes, eggs, some meat.....you get the point......any way, thanks and sorry for being so long winded!

~ Zahra

IronPeach_79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronPeach_79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronPeach_79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronPeach_79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronPeach_79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronPeach_79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronPeach_79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronPeach_79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronPeach_79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronPeach_79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronPeach_79 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I would say pregnancy has a huge deal to do with it! I remember when I exercised while pregnant, I did what I could and just congratulated myself on what I *could* do each workout. You're the first I've seen go through the program in an expecting fashion so I look forward to seeing your progress!!!

IronPeach_79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronPeach_79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronPeach_79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronPeach_79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronPeach_79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronPeach_79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronPeach_79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronPeach_79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronPeach_79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronPeach_79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronPeach_79 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I start Stage 7 tomorrow!!! I really want to dial it in diet wise but I have such a hard time...I'd love to get a BodyBugg type of thing to see what I really do burn in a day. I work out in a very disciplined intense manner in the gym but am not very active the rest of the day.

So...tomorrow's it! The first day of the last stage!!!

squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by zmoney23 View Post
    Hi Ladies,

Been lurking for a while, but was so excited when I saw a thread for NROL4W that I just had to post. I sometimes visit the JP Fitness forum as well. I currently have one workout left in stage 2 and very excited to start stage 3 next week. I probably won't take off as this stage was so short any way. I am currently 11 weeks pregnant with my second child, so my goals are not necessarily for huge strength gains but more to maintain my current level of fitness. I know as I get into the second trimester and my energy returns more, I'll be able to more steadily increase my weight. Having said that, I have a question for fellow stage twoers and beyond, what do your numbers look like for the front squat push press? I know I know you're not supposed to compare to others and blah blah blah, but I'm just curious. I started stage 2 when I was 8 weeks pregnant and feeling super crappy, so I thought that's why my numbers were so low (40lbs) I have only been able to increase up to 45lbs, and I am really struggling by the time I get to ten reps. Just wondering if this is "normal" or because of the pregnancy and being so tired. In the beginning, I really couldn't keep down any type of protein, for about 3 weeks, I couldn't even look at meat, but the past week or so, I am able to eat greek yogurt again, protein bars, shakes, eggs, some meat.....you get the point......any way, thanks and sorry for being so long winded!

~ Zahra
    I never got past 50lbs on those I think. It took me so many workouts just to get form right that I didn't increase the weight very much.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

*TEAM AMAZON* Sisterhood of Iron

My bodybuilding journal:
    Squeaks' Journey to a hotter bod and other life stuff - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135424291

ProMera Sports SUMMER LOG PROMO: Con-Cret - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146257573 (complete)

squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I am starting NROL Hypertrophy I today. I downloaded some logs, but I don't like them, so I may make my own today if time permits at work.
    "Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My bodybuilding journal:
    Squeaks' Journey to a hotter bod and other life stuff - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135424291

ProMera Sports SUMMER LOG PROMO: Con-Cret - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146257573 (complete)

NurseRatchet is on a distinguished road. (+10) NurseRatchet is on a distinguished road. (+10) NurseRatchet is on a distinguished road. (+10) NurseRatchet is on a distinguished road. (+10) NurseRatchet is on a distinguished road. (+10) NurseRatchet is on a distinguished road. (+10) NurseRatchet is on a distinguished road. (+10) NurseRatchet is on a distinguished road. (+10) NurseRatchet is on a distinguished road. (+10) NurseRatchet is on a distinguished road. (+10) NurseRatchet is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by IronPeach_79 View Post
    I start Stage 7 tomorrow!!! I really want to dial it in diet wise but I have such a hard time...I'd love to get a BodyBugg type of thing to see what I really do burn in a day. I work out in a very disciplined intense manner in the gym but am not very active the rest of the day.

So...tomorrow's it! The first day of the last stage!!!
    Bodybuggs are super addicting.

Its really cool to see what you burn doing things like shopping @ the mall, dishes, laundry, etc.

I got one before they came out w/the GoWearFit which - if I could do it all over again, I would get that one. Its the exact same thing made by the same company but not sponsered/advertised by 24 hour fitness. The monthly fee is way cheaper for the food logging (I think last time I checked it was like $7/month?).

Anyway, its a pretty cool gadget - not gonna lie.

OMG...Stage 7 has wiped me out!!! I haven't done a circuit style lifting program in months...I've done some intense cardio, so intense lifting, but there is nothing like doing 15reps of a lift with only 30s rest. Some issues I had:

It was tough to see how much weight I needed...I have a hard time trying to decide, "Do I start off heavier and decrease as needed or do I start of relatively light and add weight with each set?"

I was reminded why I cannot stand the Stationary Lunge with an elevated foot. Something about it really bothers me. I think last time, I substituted with Walking Lunges. Any other substitution rec's are welcome.

Nutrition will be imperative during this stage...the pace of it all drained me! I like to take a pre workout supplement...I've been taking SuperPump before lifting and Purple Wraath before Cardio (I've been doing them on separate days.) I realized too late that the SuperPump might not be the best thing to take before these workouts. Any input?

I have crappy flexibility in my calves and therefore everything else up the chain which keeps me from doing a squat properly. I've done so much reading on this this weekend and it's the primary reason I avoid BB Squats unless a book tells me to do them Anyone else have this problem? I did them in the Smith with 25's on each side and I felt like such a weakling

I certainly don't know much about Stage 7, since I'm only half way through Stage 1, but I find that with any sort of weightlifting I have to keep doing yoga twice a week to keep my flexibility the way it is now. I'm used to having to be really bendy from alot of gymnastics and dance, but once a week would probably work for you if you're just worried about form concerns. I know alot of people do static stretching, but I feel like yoga is to static stretching what lifting is to weight machines.

Nutrition will be imperative during this stage...the pace of it all drained me! I like to take a pre workout supplement...I've been taking SuperPump before lifting and Purple Wraath before Cardio (I've been doing them on separate days.) I realized too late that the SuperPump might not be the best thing to take before these workouts. Any input?

I have crappy flexibility in my calves and therefore everything else up the chain which keeps me from doing a squat properly. I've done so much reading on this this weekend and it's the primary reason I avoid BB Squats unless a book tells me to do them Anyone else have this problem? I did them in the Smith with 25's on each side and I felt like such a weakling
    Pre-workout, I hear Green Mag/White Flood works well, before lifting that is. As for your squat problem - it likely is more of a hip/back flexibility issue than ankle/calves. I too have pretty inflexible ankles (due to being a tip-toe walker as a child), and have come to find out that it was more my hip inflexibility that was making me go on my toes during a squat. Check out this here video and practice along and you may find some great improvements in your squat, it sent me from a horrible squatter to a pretty decent one in relatively short order. Oh, and get a hold of Starting Strength - even if you don't follow the program, the details on form in the major lifts makes the book priceless.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...1858251744&hl#

I will be taking a hiatus from NROLFW. I came to the decision that I don't feel that the program will give me enough of a stimulus for mass-gaining as I would like as I begin my bulk, so will be doing a 5x5 for a while. However, I *do* want to come back to where I left off (probably restart stage 2, though) when I come back to cutting.

happily married hottie! aznprincess's Avatar
    aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000)
    i too have noticed a huge change in my lower body but my upper body is still looking puny, although i do see some changes there too.

i was starting to wonder if it's because the program really seems to focus on lower body...I feel like i'm doing 2x as much for legs than for chest and back. maybe it's my imagination?

i'm in the middle of stage 4.

CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I started this with my mom. We're about 1/2 through stage 1. I think I may let it go out 2 weeks longer to get her a little further along. She's doing pretty good for 62.

OMG...Stage 7 has wiped me out!!! I haven't done a circuit style lifting program in months...I've done some intense cardio, so intense lifting, but there is nothing like doing 15reps of a lift with only 30s rest. Some issues I had:

It was tough to see how much weight I needed...I have a hard time trying to decide, "Do I start off heavier and decrease as needed or do I start of relatively light and add weight with each set?"
    The first time I did stage 7, I way overestimated how much weight I could lift for that many reps. I had the worst DOMS I've ever had in the 1 1/2 years I've been at this for a week. I lowered my weight for all subsequent workouts and focused on making sure I could get the proper # of reps done w/the proper amount of rest. If I still felt like I had something to give on the last set, I upped the weights for that one. For me, mentally, it's easier for me to push through the pain when I know I only have one set to go.

My bodybuilding journal:

Good Point! I'm not looking foward to how sore I will be in the next day or so Last week, I did my own thing and got myself so sore it surprised me! Gotta make sure I keep that series of workouts written down for future use.

Birdie...I noticed in another thread you were going to go with a 5x5 program. I'm going to be doing some reading on those programs! There's so many different programs and food plan options. I'm very intrigued by Intermittent Fasting but like anything else, I want to know everything I can first before attempting such a drastic change in eating. Right now I'm doing the whole 5-6 meals a day but am starting to lean towards larger meals...The options are overwhelming because they all seem to work!!! It's just a matter of finding what's going to work best for one's own body and mental needs. Sending much luck to you and I'll look forward to how you progress!

zmoney23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by squeaks77 View Post
    I never got past 50lbs on those I think. It took me so many workouts just to get form right that I didn't increase the weight very much.
    thanks, that makes me feel a bit better! i have my last b workout tomorrow and i'm going right on to stage 3. i was able to do 7 reps at 50lbs the workout before last, but my form was not correct. i workout at home, so the smallest plate i have is 3lbs, which makes it difficult to go up in really small increments. now that i am feeling better, i hope to be able to get my eating in check and get back on track, thanks!

Okay, so Hypertrophy I in NROL is a real ass-kicker. I think workout 2b almost killed me today. It doesn't look so bad on paper, but it made me wish I was doing NROL4W Stage 7 workout A again. 4x10 squats, deadlift shrugs, bulgarian split squats and step ups. That combo should be illegal.

In the afternoon, I ended up eating a 125 cal cookie. I justified it because I knew I was doing a big leg workout later. On the 3rd set of step ups I remember thinking "thank God I ate the cookie. I think that's the only reason I'm alive right now" LOL. I think of some crazy stuff when I'm in pain. I don't even want to think about how I will feel when I get out of bed in the morning.

My bodybuilding journal:

sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have some questions for ya'll, I just started NWOL4W this week. I have a bad knee so I am using a lower step for step-ups. I do them with 25 lb. dumbbells now. My hands cramp up from holding the DB's doing the step ups. Do you think I think I should add a bit more height to the step or keep going with the higher weight? Do any of you have problems with hands cramping just from holding the weight?

Originally Posted by sbilyeu75 View Post
    I have some questions for ya'll, I just started NWOL4W this week. I have a bad knee so I am using a lower step for step-ups. I do them with 25 lb. dumbbells now. My hands cramp up from holding the DB's doing the step ups. Do you think I think I should add a bit more height to the step or keep going with the higher weight? Do any of you have problems with hands cramping just from holding the weight?
    If you're able to use 25 lbs DB's on these, your form might be off. They are hard. You aren't supposed to use your non-working foot to help. The goal is to keep your non-working foot from touching down, so the leg on the bench is doing all the work. If you are already doing it that way, then I would raise the bench and lower the weight. I have a bad knee too and these were difficult and awkward at first, but I concentrated on good form, using a high bench and little or no extra weight. The strength you build on this exercise will probably help your knee (depending on what your particular problem is, of course). If it really feels bad (like damaging), then just do what you can.

My bodybuilding journal:

Originally Posted by squeaks77 View Post
    If you're able to use 25 lbs DB's on these, your form might be off. They are hard. You aren't supposed to use your non-working foot to help. The goal is to keep your non-working foot from touching down, so the leg on the bench is doing all the work. If you are already doing it that way, then I would raise the bench and lower the weight. I have a bad knee too and these were difficult and awkward at first, but I concentrated on good form, using a high bench and little or no extra weight. The strength you build on this exercise will probably help your knee (depending on what your particular problem is, of course). If it really feels bad (like damaging), then just do what you can.
    I'm not using my non-working foot (I don't think). I do feel it in the thighs. I think you're right, I'll try a higher step with a lower weight. Thanks for your reply.

Or...you could stick with the lower step and us a barbell across your upper back instead of holding dumbells.

If the grip strength really nagged you, you could incorporate some exercises into your workout to get that grip strength up.

Or...you could stick with the lower step and us a barbell across your upper back instead of holding dumbells.

If the grip strength really nagged you, you could incorporate some exercises into your workout to get that grip strength up.
    Are there exercises that help with grip strength? I feel like I may need some help with that soon. Too much more weight and the bar is not going to fit in my hands very well for all those DLs.

MzMae has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi everyone!

I am about halfway through Stage 1, and I like it so far. I notice that my shoulder presses are not as good now (as they used to be when I worked out on my own), probably because I do them after the deadlifts...when I work out on my own, doing shoulder presses and curls, I see more definition in my upper body...now it seems puny, but I will strictly stick with the program for now (I do miss bicep curls though).

I have a question about the deadlift. A trainer at the gym advised me to put the bar on the lower rung of the bench press bench and to lift from there. He said that because I was using such low weights, I am "up" to 70 lbs right now, the smaller plates made the bar positioning too low to the ground to allow for proper form. Does this sound right to you? I looked around the site and never saw anything about the bar needing to be up higher.

I need to get the diet part together. After I work out, I get my recovery drink down, but that is about it. Today, for example, I had breakfast, lunch, a few baked wings as a pre workout meal, and then a recovery drink after the workout. I was too tired to fix something to eat, but I know if I had prepared it in advance, I would have eaten.

Anyway, I plan on starting my blogging next week...I look forward to connecting with you all here!!

Originally Posted by MzMae View Post
    Hi everyone!

I am about halfway through Stage 1, and I like it so far. I notice that my shoulder presses are not as good now (as they used to be when I worked out on my own), probably because I do them after the deadlifts...when I work out on my own, doing shoulder presses and curls, I see more definition in my upper body...now it seems puny, but I will strictly stick with the program for now (I do miss bicep curls though).

I have a question about the deadlift. A trainer at the gym advised me to put the bar on the lower rung of the bench press bench and to lift from there. He said that because I was using such low weights, I am "up" to 70 lbs right now, the smaller plates made the bar positioning too low to the ground to allow for proper form. Does this sound right to you? I looked around the site and never saw anything about the bar needing to be up higher.

I need to get the diet part together. After I work out, I get my recovery drink down, but that is about it. Today, for example, I had breakfast, lunch, a few baked wings as a pre workout meal, and then a recovery drink after the workout. I was too tired to fix something to eat, but I know if I had prepared it in advance, I would have eaten.

Anyway, I plan on starting my blogging next week...I look forward to connecting with you all here!!
    From what I can tell, this guy is probably right. I am using about the same weights as you, and he means that you're going too low if your weights are hitting the ground until you get up to 45s on each side, which are obviously keeping the bar from going as far.

I was doing this for the first couple of workout Bs until I realized that it made me round out my lower back and use those muscles too much while my legs were working too little. It helps to have someone watch your and/or put their hand on your back to make sure you're going down as far as you can but not so far that you don't have your back locked out.

MzMae has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks! I will put the bar on the bench press again, I suppose...it just felt so easy and like I wasn't getting the full effect of the exercise...maybe I will up the weight a bit more...

Originally Posted by Ameinseto View Post
    From what I can tell, this guy is probably right. I am using about the same weights as you, and he means that you're going too low if your weights are hitting the ground until you get up to 45s on each side, which are obviously keeping the bar from going as far.

I was doing this for the first couple of workout Bs until I realized that it made me round out my lower back and use those muscles too much while my legs were working too little. It helps to have someone watch your and/or put their hand on your back to make sure you're going down as far as you can but not so far that you don't have your back locked out.