Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

MMA conditioning video instructional thread

I've been known to critique many videos posted here of athletes training. I've also been called out here and on other web forums. I figured I would make a thread with videos demonstrating proper technique for various exercises that can be used for conditioning in MMA. Here is a real quick and simple one about sledge hammer work.

If you guys would like post up a question, and I'll make a video for it. Or conversely, if you think this thread is ghey, just let it sink to the bottom or neg me. k thanks.

The best Weightlifting forum on the web:
    www.WLForums.com

TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    While a square stance may work more total core, I think a staggered stance would work more of a "puncher's core" as it entails more twisting. Definitely more oblique & serratus recruitment. I suppose it depends on what you're trying to achieve. Varying them up would be optimal, imo.

Thanks for the vid.
    Strong enough for a man, but made for a woman.

"I'm not cheating, I'm winning!" - my 5-yr old son

"Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" - George Bernard Shaw

parkerbro1 is a name known to all. (+5000) parkerbro1 is a name known to all. (+5000) parkerbro1 is a name known to all. (+5000) parkerbro1 is a name known to all. (+5000) parkerbro1 is a name known to all. (+5000) parkerbro1 is a name known to all. (+5000) parkerbro1 is a name known to all. (+5000) parkerbro1 is a name known to all. (+5000) parkerbro1 is a name known to all. (+5000) parkerbro1 is a name known to all. (+5000) parkerbro1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I agree with TE and will go so far as to state that I think one should should do all three for optimal development. Not just the fighter's dominant side but also the opposite one to avoid creating an imbalance.

But dam great post Triple F. You know I love your stuff that I can steal from lol...I mean borrow.
    oh and maybe you should send this to James Toney lmao!!
    Poi Dog
    "I have a high art, I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me"
    -Archilocus 650 B.C.-

Elite Martial Science/TapOut Training Center LA
    หุ่นกระบอก
    TBA-SA Officiant
    Reps for life to: GMF, KB, and Rome

Croaker is a name known to all. (+5000) Croaker is a name known to all. (+5000) Croaker is a name known to all. (+5000) Croaker is a name known to all. (+5000) Croaker is a name known to all. (+5000) Croaker is a name known to all. (+5000) Croaker is a name known to all. (+5000) Croaker is a name known to all. (+5000) Croaker is a name known to all. (+5000) Croaker is a name known to all. (+5000) Croaker is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Could you post video of how you would recommend programming tire flips (primarily for grappling conditioning)
    "negs suck, dont they? now STFU, save your breath for your blow up doll and go back in your moms basement and watch TUF, snot nosed little boy. oh, and next time ask permission to say anything to me."

-Gomi

DragonDude is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DragonDude is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DragonDude is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DragonDude is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DragonDude is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DragonDude is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DragonDude is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DragonDude is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DragonDude is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DragonDude is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DragonDude is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    SledgeHammer work? Better with Wax On / Wax Off with Cars and Paint Da Fence Side To Side. But seriously everything helps but Hammer work definitely NOT essential!

There are so many things you can do in training, Hammer trainining, Tire Flipping, etc all good but definitely not essential (any more than Rocky 4 Stallone training is chopping logs etc) and there are other things you can do more productive to producing results than that.

Rope Work (really hard going with heavy ropes!!! looks easy though) :
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Revoluti.../1/pyOtpSVsmLs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9ZYR7ZHxTc

NOT ROPE OR HAMMER WORK BUT VERY, VERY IMPRESSIVE AND TOTALLY REAL! TO have that much Breath Control & Ab Power is Incredible! Just look at strain on face to execute on command :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0bcI...next=1&index=2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3Fo1...eature=related

forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TE View Post
    While a square stance may work more total core, I think a staggered stance would work more of a "puncher's core" as it entails more twisting. Definitely more oblique & serratus recruitment. I suppose it depends on what you're trying to achieve. Varying them up would be optimal, imo.

Thanks for the vid.
    I'm not an expert puncher by any means, but two things about that, one when you step back your hips open first before they close, do you do this in punching? and two when throwing a punch you typically pivot on the foot, not step with it (aside from jabbing)

But you do bring up interesting points and it's certainly up for debate. For me, I feel the sledge is a better conditioning tool than a power developer (although it is both), and I find you can keep a better tempo with the feet planted.

Originally Posted by Croaker View Post
    Could you post video of how you would recommend programming tire flips (primarily for grappling conditioning)
    For sure man, I might have some time to do it tomorrow.
    www.WLForums.com

RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by forcefedfreak View Post
    I've been known to critique many videos posted here of athletes training. I've also been called out here and on other web forums. I figured I would make a thread with videos demonstrating proper technique for various exercises that can be used for conditioning in MMA. Here is a real quick and simple one about sledge hammer work.

If you guys would like post up a question, and I'll make a video for it. Or conversely, if you think this thread is ghey, just let it sink to the bottom or neg me. k thanks.

great stuff. Used to do these a lot more, been meaning to incorporate them back into my conditioning regimen. I agree with the guys who say to try all 3 stances, if you have enough time of course. If not, I find just going the regular even-footed stance gives the best workout.

Originally Posted by DragonDude View Post
    SledgeHammer work? Better with Wax On / Wax Off with Cars and Paint Da Fence Side To Side. But seriously everything helps but Hammer work definitely NOT essential!

There are so many things you can do in training, Hammer trainining, Tire Flipping, etc all good but definitely not essential (any more than Rocky 4 Stallone training is chopping logs etc) and there are other things you can do more productive to producing results than that.

Rope Work (really hard going with heavy ropes!!! looks easy though) :
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Revoluti.../1/pyOtpSVsmLs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9ZYR7ZHxTc

NOT ROPE OR HAMMER WORK BUT VERY, VERY IMPRESSIVE AND TOTALLY REAL! TO have that much Breath Control & Ab Power is Incredible! Just look at strain on face to execute on command :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0bcI...next=1&index=2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3Fo1...eature=related
    Deathstroke and I list our most hilariously awful WCW moments (lots of gifs & vids; expect load time):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168458963

"You can't beat mah prices, but you can beat mah meat." - Dusty Rhodes

Filmed the tire flip vid today. Probably won't hit the web until tomorrow by the time it's done exporting out of adobe and uploaded onto youtube...it's almost 10 minutes long!
    www.WLForums.com

DragonDude is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DragonDude is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DragonDude is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DragonDude is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DragonDude is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DragonDude is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DragonDude is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DragonDude is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DragonDude is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DragonDude is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DragonDude is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by RoccoTanno123 View Post
    great stuff. Used to do these a lot more, been meaning to incorporate them back into my conditioning regimen. I agree with the guys who say to try all 3 stances, if you have enough time of course. If not, I find just going the regular even-footed stance gives the best workout.
    Have you tried Rope Training (see links above)? That would be a big nope, and also compared training & benefits of tyre & sledgehammer training to rope training? That would be a big nope too. Well, I have you see as usual I speak from experience, you persist in engaging in Bare Bottom Talk.

There are more productive things you can do in terms of conditioning for MMA than using a Sledgehammer/chainsaw on trees/an axe to chop wood/dragging blocks of wood using ropes, etc, etc. Nothing wrong with doing any of those mind you, each to their own. I've tried them all & have a degree in Sports Science, again I speak from experience guess I must be a troll as you said LOL.

Many other great training aids too besides ropes that MOST MMA people do not do but guess you being a know it all and fountain of knowledge know all them already.
    Last edited by DragonDude; 08-19-2010 at 03:54 PM.

TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm not an expert puncher by any means, but two things about that, one when you step back your hips open first before they close, do you do this in punching? and two when throwing a punch you typically pivot on the foot, not step with it (aside from jabbing)
    I wasn't thinking about actually stepping back each time, just feet in a staggered stance, pivoting the front foot. Stepping back each time would be "cheating" somewhat. I'd make it as pure of a punching movement as possible WHEN focusing on punching power. I like to have a specific, functional goal in mind for every exercise I do. While total body conditioning is vital, sport specific conditioning separates the ams & the pros.

Another exercise I like to do is dumbbell rows on my knees as though someone is attempting to armbar me from their guard. Explosive movement, snatching my arm free.
    Strong enough for a man, but made for a woman.

"I'm not cheating, I'm winning!" - my 5-yr old son

"Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" - George Bernard Shaw

I throw spinning sh*t HardGainer82's Avatar
    HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TE View Post
    I wasn't thinking about actually stepping back each time, just feet in a staggered stance, pivoting the front foot. Stepping back each time would be "cheating" somewhat. I'd make it as pure of a punching movement as possible WHEN focusing on punching power. I like to have a specific, functional goal in mind for every exercise I do. While total body conditioning is vital, sport specific conditioning separates the ams & the pros.

Another exercise I like to do is dumbbell rows on my knees as though someone is attempting to armbar me from their guard. Explosive movement, snatching my arm free.
    That's pretty slick. I'll have to try that one out.
    "The sun is always gonna rise, and always gonna set and I'll just keep on punching because everyday is gonna bring something different and I just want to be ready for it."
    - Jens Pulver

If you refer to a fighter who you've never met in real life as "my boy" as though their performance somehow reflects well on you for simply being a fan, you're a lame ass.

TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    LOL, after with what you started the video with, I had to go check out the Toney vid. And I agree (and I'm out of shape) that the sledgehammer and flipping was absolutely horrible.

www.WLForums.com

Jeremy90 is just really nice. (+1000) Jeremy90 is just really nice. (+1000) Jeremy90 is just really nice. (+1000) Jeremy90 is just really nice. (+1000) Jeremy90 is just really nice. (+1000) Jeremy90 is just really nice. (+1000) Jeremy90 is just really nice. (+1000) Jeremy90 is just really nice. (+1000) Jeremy90 is just really nice. (+1000) Jeremy90 is just really nice. (+1000) Jeremy90 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Excellent bump
    The ‘Stopped Misc’in after I graduated High School, but that was 7 years ago so now I’m back’ Crew

Originally Posted by Jeremy90 View Post
    Excellent bump
    Thanks brah. I had the tire one ready to go but it was too big of a file to put onto youtube, then when I went to re-edit it, allmy files got deleted. SO I have to refilm it, which I'm putting off.
    www.WLForums.com

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart winthorpe's Avatar
    winthorpe is just really nice. (+1000) winthorpe is just really nice. (+1000) winthorpe is just really nice. (+1000) winthorpe is just really nice. (+1000) winthorpe is just really nice. (+1000) winthorpe is just really nice. (+1000) winthorpe is just really nice. (+1000) winthorpe is just really nice. (+1000) winthorpe is just really nice. (+1000) winthorpe is just really nice. (+1000) winthorpe is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks brah. I had the tire one ready to go but it was too big of a file to put onto youtube, then when I went to re-edit it, allmy files got deleted. SO I have to refilm it, which I'm putting off.
    Thumbs up. Good stuff.

Croaker is a name known to all. (+5000) Croaker is a name known to all. (+5000) Croaker is a name known to all. (+5000) Croaker is a name known to all. (+5000) Croaker is a name known to all. (+5000) Croaker is a name known to all. (+5000) Croaker is a name known to all. (+5000) Croaker is a name known to all. (+5000) Croaker is a name known to all. (+5000) Croaker is a name known to all. (+5000) Croaker is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm running SS right now, so I don't really have time for GPP so if you were doing it for me you can wait a couple months. But I will want to know how to correctly flip tires for sub grappling at some point. Thanks bro.
    "negs suck, dont they? now STFU, save your breath for your blow up doll and go back in your moms basement and watch TUF, snot nosed little boy. oh, and next time ask permission to say anything to me."

-Gomi

Sexual Tyrannosaurus ftwrestler's Avatar
    ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by HardGainer82 View Post
    That's pretty slick. I'll have to try that one out.
    holy **** that is nice

i would add a twist

moving your hand from a neutral grip to supine through the motion

funtionality is key
    Last edited by ftwrestler; 10-29-2010 at 02:33 PM.

www.WLForums.com

I could watch you tuck your butt all day. (no homo)

Really cool side shot though, I figured that as long as I stayed pretty much the same with my shoulders that meant my back wasn't rounding, but your shoulders were in the same area no matter if you had a straight or rounded back. Time to relook at my lower back while squatting.

-Gomi

I could watch you tuck your butt all day. (no homo)

Really cool side shot though, I figured that as long as I stayed pretty much the same with my shoulders that meant my back wasn't rounding, but your shoulders were in the same area no matter if you had a straight or rounded back. Time to relook at my lower back while squatting.
    You can even see my hips roll under just a tad bit on the "good" squats. It's really difficult not to do, and it almost makes you feel like you're not squatting deep enough. But if you get that down your squat will go through the roof.
    www.WLForums.com

You can even see my hips roll under just a tad bit on the "good" squats. It's really difficult not to do, and it almost makes you feel like you're not squatting deep enough. But if you get that down your squat will go through the roof.
    Yeah I used to do good mornings while squatting, I corrected that by making sure my shoulders stayed in the same position. But I'm willing to bet now that my back still rounds, because I never actually addressed that issue.

For grapplers I would assume you recommend ATG squats? Or does it really not matter?

-Gomi

Jeremy90 is just really nice. (+1000) Jeremy90 is just really nice. (+1000) Jeremy90 is just really nice. (+1000) Jeremy90 is just really nice. (+1000) Jeremy90 is just really nice. (+1000) Jeremy90 is just really nice. (+1000) Jeremy90 is just really nice. (+1000) Jeremy90 is just really nice. (+1000) Jeremy90 is just really nice. (+1000) Jeremy90 is just really nice. (+1000) Jeremy90 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm running SS right now, so I don't really have time for GPP so if you were doing it for me you can wait a couple months. But I will want to know how to correctly flip tires for sub grappling at some point. Thanks bro.
    How's SS working for you? I've gathered from your posts that you do a good almount of grappling. I'm just curious how a powerlifting routine, albeit a low volume one, affects your grappling. No disrespect of course. I'm trying not to sound like Im calling you out.
    The ‘Stopped Misc’in after I graduated High School, but that was 7 years ago so now I’m back’ Crew

Yeah I used to do good mornings while squatting, I corrected that by making sure my shoulders stayed in the same position. But I'm willing to bet now that my back still rounds, because I never actually addressed that issue.

For grapplers I would assume you recommend ATG squats? Or does it really not matter?
    I think O lifting is great for grappling. So in a roundabout way...yeah ATG squats are good for grapplers. But, I wouldn't say it's the end of the world if you don't do them. A wider powerlifting type stance (low bar squat) going to just below parallel will develop the adductors quite a bit which is great for a strong guard.
    www.WLForums.com

How's SS working for you? I've gathered from your posts that you do a good almount of grappling. I'm just curious how a powerlifting routine, albeit a low volume one, affects your grappling. No disrespect of course. I'm trying not to sound like Im calling you out.
    Being conditioned is easy. Being strong is not.
    www.WLForums.com

It affects me way less than circuit training used to. I grapple 20-25 hours per week and have been since January. I'm used to it, rarely do I ever get worn down or tired from grappling.

Back when I used to attend our S&C classes I would die afterwards though, maybe it is because the S&C class was right before two hours of grappling or the volume but I would notice a sharp drop in my ability to be competitive that day. I am fairly weak as far as PL movements go, so things might change when I start lifting weights that'll be severely taxing to my CNS.

-Gomi

It affects me way less than circuit training used to. I grapple 20-25 hours per week and have been since January. I'm used to it, rarely do I ever get worn down or tired from grappling.

Back when I used to attend our S&C classes I would die afterwards though, maybe it is because the S&C class was right before two hours of grappling or the volume but I would notice a sharp drop in my ability to be competitive that day. I am fairly weak as far as PL movements go, so things might change when I start lifting weights that'll be severely taxing to my CNS.
    That makes sense. Unless you are really good with your recovery I can imagine it would be very difficult to roll that much and lift heavy 3 days a week

The shawma of manlets Manletbolic's Avatar
    Manletbolic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Manletbolic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Manletbolic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Manletbolic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Manletbolic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Manletbolic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Manletbolic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Manletbolic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Manletbolic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Manletbolic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Manletbolic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    road work is something that should be part of mma conditioning
    The coming of the Manlet saviour

Wants a pair of chuck norris jeans crew

Sexual Tyrannosaurus ftwrestler's Avatar
    ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Manletbolic View Post
    why

Originally Posted by Manletbolic View Post
    No.
    www.WLForums.com