koruptified has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Machines vs Free Weights

I know the debate and am familiar with how some will view one as greater than the other. I'm just curious what people would suggest for a beginner that wants to do machines. My workout is free weights, so I'm not familiar with machines at all. When I first got into this and hired a personal trainer for a little bit, a good majority of my workouts were machines, such as leg extensions, a squatting machine, pull downs, etc...

If you were going to suggest a mass building beginner workout using machines, what would you suggest? Split or full body? What days would work what? Circuit training recommended? Mass building. Not strength training. When I focus on strength I'm going to be doing free weights and something like Starr's 5x5.

The more debate the better.

sfgiantsfan79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfgiantsfan79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfgiantsfan79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfgiantsfan79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfgiantsfan79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfgiantsfan79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfgiantsfan79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfgiantsfan79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfgiantsfan79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfgiantsfan79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfgiantsfan79 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Everything in bodybuilding has it's place.

Which kind of machines are you talking about? I've only recently (six months) been working out and greatly like the hammer strength line.

USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    For beginners. I would stick with free weights work on form and dont worry about weight.....me I use both I've got 10 plus years of lifting and I use machines because my joints and body are already falling apart from injuries and stuff from sports, my time in the Marines, and now as a cop my body takes a beating outside the gym as well.

polarmike76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) polarmike76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) polarmike76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) polarmike76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) polarmike76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) polarmike76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) polarmike76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) polarmike76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) polarmike76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) polarmike76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) polarmike76 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Problem with machines is that you don't build the stability as you would with free weights, most of them are isolation machines..

As a beginner I'd definitely recommend you stick to freeweights to help condition your body and keep good form for the future...

The only exception I would say is if you had an injury in which you cannot use free weights and machine is the only alternative

I have noticed that I hate SLDL. I don't know why, but I just do. And I hate barbell rows. Ideally, I'd love to just find another excersize to replace those.

thebigmrclean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    In my experience free weights are usually pretty superior to machines. When you use machines you typically cut out other muscles that would normally benefit from the lift. This isn't to say that machines don't have their place, but I can't see a reason why you would want to focus on machines more than free weights.

Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by koruptified View Post
    I know the debate and am familiar with how some will view one as greater than the other. I'm just curious what people would suggest for a beginner that wants to do machines. My workout is free weights, so I'm not familiar with machines at all. When I first got into this and hired a personal trainer for a little bit, a good majority of my workouts were machines, such as leg extensions, a squatting machine, pull downs, etc...

If you were going to suggest a mass building beginner workout using machines, what would you suggest? Split or full body? What days would work what? Circuit training recommended? Mass building. Not strength training. When I focus on strength I'm going to be doing free weights and something like Starr's 5x5.

The more debate the better.
    Why the need to do only machines or only free weights?

A beginner would be better to doing majority free weights, and add exercises as you progress over time, typically adding both free weight exercises and machines.

Then... what could I use to replace SLDLs and barbell rows?

AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Then... what could I use to replace SLDLs and barbell rows?
    I'm going to guess your lower back is weak as piss and this is the issue with both of those lifts.

For SLDL find another hamstring exercise.
    For Barbell rows why not seated cable rows.

There, that ought to do it until you injure your back one day picking up something in the garden.
    Bench: 572lbs (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9RrAfn0TfkY&feature=youtu.be)
    Squat: 924lbs (https://youtu.be/hnvJ0SdCYKw)
    Deadlift: 924lbs (https://youtu.be/KDS6TQ_--eM)
    Bent Over Row: 485lbs (https://youtu.be/dc-t9k3f208)
    Over Head Press: 405lbs (https://youtu.be/h3o4jOBa8IM)

Originally Posted by AusPower View Post
    I'm going to guess your lower back is weak as piss and this is the issue with both of those lifts.

For SLDL find another hamstring exercise.
    For Barbell rows why not seated cable rows.

There, that ought to do it until you injure your back one day picking up something in the garden.
    How about you be less of a prick or don't respond.

With SLDL I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I don't feel any strain on my hamstrings unless I do a full deadlift and hit the floor. And I can't bend my knees. It's everything that the SLDL isn't.

On the barbell rows, I feel like there's some weird strain on my back. Form is there because I can see myself in the mirror and it mimics what I was taught. But there's some weird sensation and it doesn't feel like any of the other ways my muscles have felt when I have worked them out. Doesn't feel like muscle strain.

sfgiantsfan79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfgiantsfan79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfgiantsfan79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfgiantsfan79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfgiantsfan79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfgiantsfan79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfgiantsfan79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfgiantsfan79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfgiantsfan79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfgiantsfan79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfgiantsfan79 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by polarmike76 View Post
    Problem with machines is that you don't build the stability as you would with free weights, most of them are isolation machines..

As a beginner I'd definitely recommend you stick to freeweights to help condition your body and keep good form for the future...

The only exception I would say is if you had an injury in which you cannot use free weights and machine is the only alternative
    I don't get the isolation comment.

A chest press is a chest press whether it be on an incline using db's or on a hammerstrength line.

It's still an exercise where you are using your chest but also your delts and tri's.

I have noticed that I hate SLDL. I don't know why, but I just do. And I hate barbell rows. Ideally, I'd love to just find another excersize to replace those.
    Glute ham raise, leg curls, pull throughs

Db rows, tbar rows

Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ****ing hell... Not this again.

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you can use free weights you should be. There are a few instances where you may want to include machines in your routine but for the most part free weights are far superior.

ilanmp4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ilanmp4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ilanmp4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ilanmp4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ilanmp4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ilanmp4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ilanmp4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ilanmp4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ilanmp4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ilanmp4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ilanmp4 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Engineer_Guy View Post
    If you can use free weights you should be. There are a few instances where you may want to include machines in your routine but for the most part free weights are far superior.
    i'm agree.

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Machines vs Free Weights

Simple:

A novice only needs barbell movements. Will develop coordinated strength by training progressively in the big basic barbell movements.

An advanced guy will likely do a lot of assistance movements, which can be barbells, dumbells, and machines.

Machines have one advantage. Leg press allows an advanced guy to add a ton of volume when another set of squats would be dangerous, due to form breakdown from fatigue. Similarly machine presses after military presses, cable rows after barbell rows etc.

I'd suggest Rippetoe's Starting Strength. That is a low volume, high frequency, fullbody, 3 x 5 sets across(after low rep, decreasing rep warmups), three day a week program. Usually Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

Strength Training = Mass Building for novices.

Buy the SS book even if you don't run the program. Best barbell primer, even for advanced guys.

I have Starrs Strongest Shall Survive. Pure gold. He likes 5 x 5 ramping sets in the big basics. That would be a viable alternative.

WS4SB, Westside For Skinny Bastards, is well recommended. You'd only do heavy squats once a week, unlike SS.

Originally Posted by Kirra View Post
    ****ing hell... Not this again.
    What was the point of your comment?

If you don't like the topic then don't respond. Your life can't be that boring, can it?

Originally Posted by jgreystoke View Post
    Simple:

A novice only needs barbell movements. Will develop coordinated strength by training progressively in the big basic barbell movements.

An advanced guy will likely do a lot of assistance movements, which can be barbells, dumbells, and machines.

Machines have one advantage. Leg press allows an advanced guy to add a ton of volume when another set of squats would be dangerous, due to form breakdown from fatigue. Similarly machine presses after military presses, cable rows after barbell rows etc.

I'd suggest Rippetoe's Starting Strength. That is a low volume, high frequency, fullbody, 3 x 5 sets across(after low rep, decreasing rep warmups), three day a week program. Usually Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

Strength Training = Mass Building for novices.

Buy the SS book even if you don't run the program. Best barbell primer, even for advanced guys.

I have Starrs Strongest Shall Survive. Pure gold. He likes 5 x 5 ramping sets in the big basics. That would be a viable alternative.

WS4SB, Westside For Skinny Bastards, is well recommended. You'd only do heavy squats once a week, unlike SS.
    I definitely plan to do a 5x5 type workout soon, but right now I'm trying to actually get some aesthetics done. I'm skinny and I want to add mass, but I want to add clean mass. Most every workout journal I've seen for SS has increased their body fat % to a very high number. I'm not looking to get to 20% and then have to cut. I want to stay around 12-14% max and then cut. I figure doing a mass builder first, like the workout that all pro posted, would be what I'll do before I get the 5x5.

I will be checking out WS4SB though.

BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Good mornings for SLDL

T-bar rows
    DB rows
    Seated rows for BB Row
    --There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

--Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81

--The proper plural form of the Latin adjective biceps is bicipites, a form not in general English use. Instead, biceps is used in both singular and plural (i.e., when referring to both arms). The form bicep [sic], although common even in professional contexts, is considered incorrect. (from Wikipedia)

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan79 View Post
    A chest press is a chest press whether it be on an incline using db's or on a hammerstrength line.
    I guess if you define "chest press" accordingly then OK they're both "chest press", BUT that in no way means they're equivalent in terms of effectiveness.

Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan79 View Post
    It's still an exercise where you are using your chest but also your delts and tri's.
    But the thing is there are different types of "using your muscles", and not all of them build muscle or strength, that also depends on HOW you "use" your muscles, ie HOW you train.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA