theronin391 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theronin391 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theronin391 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theronin391 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theronin391 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theronin391 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theronin391 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theronin391 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theronin391 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theronin391 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theronin391 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Tendonitis- How long to heal?

Hello,

Currently, I'm suffering from what I think is Tendonitis. I have a doc appointment this week. I started getting a weird pain in both my wrist BUT especially in my left wrist. It hasn't hurt (so far) while I work out BUT it usually hurts in the mornings. It hurts in the part of the wrist under the thumb. Im fine but all of a sudden it feels as if it locks or something. A disloacted type pain that kind of comes and goes. I'm sure that its nothing too major but still it is bothersome and hurts more than it should. My trainer says that it is probably tendonitis and that this is a common body building ailment. That I should not stop working out and find ways to work around this injury. In reality I do not want to stop because Im making great progress, would taking 2-3 weeks of really hurt me alot? Should I stop? Or should I continue working out? What do you guys/gals think?!?! Allso if they do tell me it is tendonitis, how long would it take before I could hit the gym again?

unstoppable123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Im not doctor but if i were you i would wait till you you see a doctor and stay out the gym until the doctor says because you dont want to make it worse. Also if you are out for a few weeks just try to eat well which you should be doing anyway and stretch the muscles out (whole body) it may help.

Also if you can mabey try using leg machines that involves NO WEIGHT ON WRIST OR HAND so NO SQUATS becuase at least then you can keep hitting the gym and you can do sit ups aswell. Its just an idea. See what the doctor says.
    Last edited by unstoppable123; 08-08-2010 at 08:11 AM. Reason: more info

Nguvu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nguvu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nguvu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nguvu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nguvu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nguvu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nguvu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nguvu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nguvu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nguvu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nguvu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have tendonitis and I talked with the doc about it a few days ago at an appointment. It's one of those things that just really seems to linger. Mine is in my knee and I've had it for almost 2 months. It's not constant pain, but various things have seemed to aggervate it. Funny enough, working out hasn't really been one of them. But it's been nothing in particular. Sometimes it hurts when I'm just sitting in a chair, sometimes in the morning, sometimes at night, etc. There really isn't much that you can do with it other than ice it and try not to aggervate it.

Sorry.
    When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me".

G0tMeWr0ng is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G0tMeWr0ng is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G0tMeWr0ng is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G0tMeWr0ng is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G0tMeWr0ng is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G0tMeWr0ng is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G0tMeWr0ng is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G0tMeWr0ng is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G0tMeWr0ng is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G0tMeWr0ng is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G0tMeWr0ng is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I have had tendinitis in my left knee for about 4 years. I will not go away, by strengthening your hamstring/quads and performing the proper therapy it will become minimal.

I had PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) therapy done on my knee in earlier January and I barely feel the tendinitis anymore. If your insurance covers it I would definitely recommend trying it.

Wilde is just really nice. (+1000) Wilde is just really nice. (+1000) Wilde is just really nice. (+1000) Wilde is just really nice. (+1000) Wilde is just really nice. (+1000) Wilde is just really nice. (+1000) Wilde is just really nice. (+1000) Wilde is just really nice. (+1000) Wilde is just really nice. (+1000) Wilde is just really nice. (+1000) Wilde is just really nice. (+1000)
    I had tennis elbow for a few months it didn't go away even from resting it a long time but then managed to get rid of it with 2 cortisone injections which reduced the inflammation therefore allowing it to heal.

Rules of the game - if 2 injections don't help don't bother with a 3rd.
    Bodybuilding is all about image not numbers, when you're up on stage your lifting stats and bodyfat % means nothing to the judges.

Kokanee is a name known to all. (+5000) Kokanee is a name known to all. (+5000) Kokanee is a name known to all. (+5000) Kokanee is a name known to all. (+5000) Kokanee is a name known to all. (+5000) Kokanee is a name known to all. (+5000) Kokanee is a name known to all. (+5000) Kokanee is a name known to all. (+5000) Kokanee is a name known to all. (+5000) Kokanee is a name known to all. (+5000) Kokanee is a name known to all. (+5000)
    if it actually is tendinitis, 1-3 weeks.

if it is tendinosis or some other tendinopathy, several months to possibly years.

experiencing the f*ck Germinator2000's Avatar
    Germinator2000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Germinator2000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Germinator2000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Germinator2000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Germinator2000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Germinator2000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Germinator2000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Germinator2000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Germinator2000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Germinator2000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Germinator2000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I had similar pain in my wrists a long time ago. I traced it back to weigth lifting, and particularly bicep excercises. it was not a sharp pain, just a dull ache that i would feel as soon as i'd lift or drag an object. I disappeared when i did a longer brake. so i suppose it was tendonitis caused by overuse and not letting my wrists enough rest to heal.

is the doctor a general doctor? or sports doctor? keep in mind, if u go to a general doctor with a weigth lifting injury, his advise is often not that usefull...

if it is tendonities, u should rest until the pain is completely gone, then another ~50% time. so lets say it takes u 14 days to not feel any pain, then rest 7 more days. likely, u can just get rid of the excercises that makes ur wrists worse and keep doing other ones. for me, those were all bicep/back excercises (curl, row, pull-up, etc).

best of luck
    Mächtiger als du denkst, Mutterficker.

theronin391 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theronin391 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theronin391 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theronin391 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theronin391 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theronin391 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theronin391 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theronin391 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theronin391 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theronin391 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theronin391 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Germinator2000 View Post
    I had similar pain in my wrists a long time ago. I traced it back to weigth lifting, and particularly bicep excercises. it was not a sharp pain, just a dull ache that i would feel as soon as i'd lift or drag an object. I disappeared when i did a longer brake. so i suppose it was tendonitis caused by overuse and not letting my wrists enough rest to heal.

is the doctor a general doctor? or sports doctor? keep in mind, if u go to a general doctor with a weigth lifting injury, his advise is often not that usefull...

if it is tendonities, u should rest until the pain is completely gone, then another ~50% time. so lets say it takes u 14 days to not feel any pain, then rest 7 more days. likely, u can just get rid of the excercises that makes ur wrists worse and keep doing other ones. for me, those were all bicep/back excercises (curl, row, pull-up, etc).

best of luck
    The doc Im going to go see is an Orthopedic...

I'll see maybe a cortisone injection will help but I honestly dont think its that bad.

ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by theronin391 View Post
    Hello,

Currently, I'm suffering from what I think is Tendonitis. I have a doc appointment this week. I started getting a weird pain in both my wrist BUT especially in my left wrist. It hasn't hurt (so far) while I work out BUT it usually hurts in the mornings. It hurts in the part of the wrist under the thumb. Im fine but all of a sudden it feels as if it locks or something. A disloacted type pain that kind of comes and goes. I'm sure that its nothing too major but still it is bothersome and hurts more than it should. My trainer says that it is probably tendonitis and that this is a common body building ailment. That I should not stop working out and find ways to work around this injury. In reality I do not want to stop because Im making great progress, would taking 2-3 weeks of really hurt me alot? Should I stop? Or should I continue working out? What do you guys/gals think?!?! Allso if they do tell me it is tendonitis, how long would it take before I could hit the gym again?
    this thread might help
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hlight=tendons

Originally Posted by Nguvu View Post
    I have tendonitis and I talked with the doc about it a few days ago at an appointment. It's one of those things that just really seems to linger. Mine is in my knee and I've had it for almost 2 months. It's not constant pain, but various things have seemed to aggervate it. Funny enough, working out hasn't really been one of them. But it's been nothing in particular. Sometimes it hurts when I'm just sitting in a chair, sometimes in the morning, sometimes at night, etc. There really isn't much that you can do with it other than ice it and try not to aggervate it.

Sorry.
    Do you till workout then?

kidwitbigchest will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidwitbigchest will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidwitbigchest will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidwitbigchest will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidwitbigchest will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidwitbigchest will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidwitbigchest will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidwitbigchest will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidwitbigchest will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidwitbigchest will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidwitbigchest will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    my doc gave me a free forearm gaurd GET ONE! then he made a follow-up appt for a Epidural Steroid Injection (if i needed on) but i didnt need it, the forearm gaurd solved the problem

Would a forearm guard help if my wrist is the issue?

Does anyone know if a cotisone shot will heal my hurt wrist or just mask the pain? Tomorrow I have my appoinment with the Orthopedic BUT I was working out last night and I spoke with a local sports injury doctor (goes to the gym as well) and he said it is most likely a minor injury and that I should take 2 Alive daily for 1 week and that that should take care of it and that if it doesn't to go with him to check it out. He also told me that I could continue to workout BUT if a certain movement hurt to stop doing it. What do you guys think?

Kokanee is a name known to all. (+5000) Kokanee is a name known to all. (+5000) Kokanee is a name known to all. (+5000) Kokanee is a name known to all. (+5000) Kokanee is a name known to all. (+5000) Kokanee is a name known to all. (+5000) Kokanee is a name known to all. (+5000) Kokanee is a name known to all. (+5000) Kokanee is a name known to all. (+5000) Kokanee is a name known to all. (+5000) Kokanee is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Does anyone know if a cotisone shot will heal my hurt wrist or just mask the pain? Tomorrow I have my appoinment with the Orthopedic BUT I was working out last night and I spoke with a local sports injury doctor (goes to the gym as well) and he said it is most likely a minor injury and that I should take 2 Alive daily for 1 week and that that should take care of it and that if it doesn't to go with him to check it out. He also told me that I could continue to workout BUT if a certain movement hurt to stop doing it. What do you guys think?
    cortisone prevents inflammation. it doesn't heal anything.

brianschinella has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Kokanee View Post
    cortisone prevents inflammation. it doesn't heal anything.
    hate to say ur wrong but u are.. inflammation is the body saying when you feel pain your hurting the healing process down there, no inflammation, no pain, more healing takes place. faster growth better recovery

Originally Posted by brianschinella View Post
    hate to say ur wrong but u are.. inflammation is the body saying when you feel pain your hurting the healing process down there, no inflammation, no pain, more healing takes place. faster growth better recovery
    getting rid of inflammation does not encourage healing sorry

mynameissam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have had a similar problem, however it started in august but i just had a week off then did lighter exercises on biceps, i literally cannot do bar curls, and even really concentrated incline curls and preachers hurt my wrist now, i am iceing it and have been using ibuprofen, doctors just tell you to rest and give you pain killers so not much help i also use glucosamine and use wrist wraps, I am only 18 though so i am concerned and do not want this problem to effect me for the future, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

alexb650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexb650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexb650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexb650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexb650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexb650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexb650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexb650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexb650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexb650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexb650 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    First thing you need to do is figure out what's causing it. Whether you're injuring it in the gym or some other sport, it makes no sense to do anything until you halt the strenuous activity.

Once you've figured that out, go get yourself some wrist straps so that you can work through the pain while your wrists heal.

mynameissam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    it was from really heavy curls but i have no done them in months now i do really concentrated sets for more reps however it has got worse and even that hurts now, and i have wrist wraps already

Grailer is not very well liked. (-100) Grailer is not very well liked. (-100) Grailer is not very well liked. (-100) Grailer is not very well liked. (-100) Grailer is not very well liked. (-100) Grailer is not very well liked. (-100) Grailer is not very well liked. (-100) Grailer is not very well liked. (-100) Grailer is not very well liked. (-100) Grailer is not very well liked. (-100) Grailer is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by mynameissam View Post
    it was from really heavy curls but i have no done them in months now i do really concentrated sets for more reps however it has got worse and even that hurts now, and i have wrist wraps already
    Sounds like you were ignoring the onset of tendonitis maybe?

After having got tendonitis years ago i now at any sign of pain that isnt in muscle deload and slowly rebuild again. Also make sure you are getting enough rest and the right nutrition.

rvillal6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hello,

Hey theronin391, what ended up happening with your injury?

Im currently experiencing the same exact thing. Wrist pain and dislocating type pain at the thumb. I went to the doctor and the doc basically diagnosed me with having wrist tendonitis. She just moved my wrists around a lil and said that tendonitis was the issue and to buy some sort of wrist support and take anti-inflammatory meds. I've done all of that and completely stopped working out upper body but still I dont seem to be getting any better. Its been 3 weeks since I visited the doctor. I dont want to stop working out upper body for too long.

How are you doing? Did you heal? If so, what helped you?

Lifting to Avoid COVID-19 PeterGibbons316's Avatar
    PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by rvillal6 View Post
    Hey theronin391, what ended up happening with your injury?

Im currently experiencing the same exact thing. Wrist pain and dislocating type pain at the thumb. I went to the doctor and the doc basically diagnosed me with having wrist tendonitis. She just moved my wrists around a lil and said that tendonitis was the issue and to buy some sort of wrist support and take anti-inflammatory meds. I've done all of that and completely stopped working out upper body but still I dont seem to be getting any better. Its been 3 weeks since I visited the doctor. I dont want to stop working out upper body for too long.

How are you doing? Did you heal? If so, what helped you?
    Did she give you a prescription for anti-inflammatory meds, or are you just taking off the shelf NSAIDs?

IME the only thing that really cures a bad case of tendinitis is rest. That doesn't necessarily mean that you need to stop going to the gym. If you can pinpoint the exact movement that is causing your issue and either avoid that movement, or alter your form to perform the movement in a manner that doesn't irritate your tendinitis then that can be enough for it to heal up.
    My Journal (RIP 05/11 - 09/13):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134256491

DIY Plyo Boxes:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151765733

gum1941 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Same issue - 20 y/o tendon pain for ~3 months now

Hi! This thread has been inactive for a while now but here goes anyways...

I'd been lifting for a solid 9/10 months before coming across my tendonitis issue. I initially felt it a lot of stress on my wrists after typing for long hours on my laptop due to having a tonne of work from uni to plough through. I associated the pain with RSI and I eased off a little on the typing - taking breaks etc etc. After a while, the pain worsened - with me continuing to lift heavy - esp after I hit 40kg dumbells for incline chest press (woo!!). And at that point, I kind of gave up and went to see my doctors. They prescribed me some ibuprufen, time off training etc. BUT its been 3 months (and I've taken at least a solid 3 weeks off gym) yet no progress!!

Does anyone know what I can do? Are there any exercises that I can do to alleviate pain from my thumb tendons?

tendonpain. org /current.shtml this website here mentions that recovery from chronic tendon pain can take months. In the meanwhile... I really don't want to lose my gains :'(

Is there any way to work around this? Should I take cortisone injections??

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you