rigdon86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What are your thoughts on sugar? How many grams per day?

Hello all,

In general what are your thoughts regarding sugar? Is it something you consume in moderation, do you always attempt to consume as little of it as possible, or do you not worry about it?

The reason I ask is because since I have started training and watching my nutrient intake, I've noticed that sugar is the one which most easily gets out of control. Even with apparently healthy stuff like a simple banana - which I like to chop up and have with cereal - comes in at a significant 14g. Add a very modest 200ml of semi-skimmed milk for the cereal and that's another 9-10g of sugar. So already the ~100g recommended daily intake has a significant dent in it from a basic snack like that.

Just interested in everyone's opinion on it and how they view sugar in their day-to-day diet.

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    100g of sugar recommended per day?

Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    100g of sugar recommended per day?
    My post count is too low to post a URL, but the one I'm looking at now says 90g for women, 120g for men and 85g for children apparently.

On the side of the shredded wheat box I'm looking at, it says guided daily amount for total sugars is 90g. I've also checked the semi-skimmed milk in the fridge, which says 200ml contains 9.8g sugar (11% of your daily allowance). That again equates to roughly the 100g mark.
    Last edited by rigdon86; 07-31-2010 at 01:35 AM.

FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I don't stress over it, but I try to keep sugar intake low.

Big.Dreams has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big.Dreams has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big.Dreams has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big.Dreams has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big.Dreams has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big.Dreams has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big.Dreams has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big.Dreams has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big.Dreams has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big.Dreams has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by rigdon86 View Post
    Just interested in everyone's opinion on it and how they view sugar in their day-to-day diet.
    I dont see a point in trying to exclude sugar and still eat a lot of starch...they both turn in to glucose in the body and increase your blood sugar.

Trillios is just really nice. (+1000) Trillios is just really nice. (+1000) Trillios is just really nice. (+1000) Trillios is just really nice. (+1000) Trillios is just really nice. (+1000) Trillios is just really nice. (+1000) Trillios is just really nice. (+1000) Trillios is just really nice. (+1000) Trillios is just really nice. (+1000) Trillios is just really nice. (+1000) Trillios is just really nice. (+1000)
    Just eat your damn food.

Originally Posted by FunkDaddy View Post
    I see. Would you have any idea how much your intake is per day? Or is it simply something you don't pay that much attention to?

Originally Posted by Trillios View Post
    Just eat your damn food.
    That's it. Thanks man.

Originally Posted by Big.Dreams View Post
    I dont see a point in trying to exclude sugar and still eat a lot of starch...they both turn in to glucose in the body and increase your blood sugar.
    I'm not excluding sugar, I was just surprised at the amount of it in foods. So it's really not something you try to limit, or something for which you have a target amount per day?

Also the reason I'm asking is because all anyone every mentions when you talk about bulking or cutting or whatever is carbs, proteins and fat. There's never a great deal of attention given to sugar, or at least I haven't read any, and thus I was interested in hearing opinions.
    Last edited by rigdon86; 07-31-2010 at 07:59 AM.

kademrulz is a name known to all. (+5000) kademrulz is a name known to all. (+5000) kademrulz is a name known to all. (+5000) kademrulz is a name known to all. (+5000) kademrulz is a name known to all. (+5000) kademrulz is a name known to all. (+5000) kademrulz is a name known to all. (+5000) kademrulz is a name known to all. (+5000) kademrulz is a name known to all. (+5000) kademrulz is a name known to all. (+5000) kademrulz is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Sugars ARE carbs. what you try to do is aim for the most complex sugars (carbs) that you can. i.e. brown rice, whole grains etc. And try to stay away from refined or simple sugars like candy, soda, white bread, white rice, and the like. The type of sugar found in food affects insulin production with simple sugars breaking down fast causing a spike. You want to try to avoid this as much as possible and keep your breakdown consistent throughout the day.

Shredded-Wolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shredded-Wolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shredded-Wolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shredded-Wolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shredded-Wolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shredded-Wolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shredded-Wolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shredded-Wolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shredded-Wolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shredded-Wolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shredded-Wolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by kademrulz View Post
    Sugars ARE carbs. what you try to do is aim for the most complex sugars (carbs) that you can. i.e. brown rice, whole grains etc. And try to stay away from refined or simple sugars like candy, soda, white bread, white rice, and the like. The type of sugar found in food affects insulin production with simple sugars breaking down fast causing a spike. You want to try to avoid this as much as possible and keep your breakdown consistent throughout the day.
    agreed. Digest sugar post workout to make the carbs the fuel to restore glycogen stores instead of your protein.
    We are the product of our influences. Originality is so hard to come by in this society.

***I Rape Back***

kyleisraaddd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kyleisraaddd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kyleisraaddd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kyleisraaddd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kyleisraaddd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kyleisraaddd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kyleisraaddd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kyleisraaddd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kyleisraaddd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kyleisraaddd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kyleisraaddd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by FunkDaddy View Post
    This.

kinda. I don't really care too too much :P

hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by kademrulz View Post
    And try to stay away from refined or simple sugars like candy, soda, white bread, white rice, and the like.
    Completely false information.

White bread, white rice ect are complex carbs.

Brown rice and white rice, for example, are exactly the same rice - and like 98% of the calories come from exactly the same source.

Moreover, sugar sin't evil.

But let's start with basic information.
    "And Those Who Were Seen Dancing Were Thought to be Insane by Those Who Could Not Hear the Music."

adonahue052 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adonahue052 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adonahue052 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adonahue052 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adonahue052 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adonahue052 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adonahue052 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adonahue052 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adonahue052 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adonahue052 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adonahue052 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    0 grams

kademrulz is a name known to all. (+5000) kademrulz is a name known to all. (+5000) kademrulz is a name known to all. (+5000) kademrulz is a name known to all. (+5000) kademrulz is a name known to all. (+5000) kademrulz is a name known to all. (+5000) kademrulz is a name known to all. (+5000) kademrulz is a name known to all. (+5000) kademrulz is a name known to all. (+5000) kademrulz is a name known to all. (+5000) kademrulz is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm sorry. I was a bit misleading in my prior post. I should have proof read it a little better. I did not mean to say that white rice and white bread were simple sugars, just that they breakdown faster than brown/ whole grain. But make no mistake in thinking that brown rice and white rice are equals. They are not. Below is just part of an article found on Webmd.

"Brown Rice vs. White Rice: Which Is Better?
    Replacing White Rice With Brown Rice Reduces Risk of Type 2 Diabetes, Study Finds
    By Bill Hendrick
    WebMD Health News
    Reviewed by Laura J. Martin, MD

... White rice has a higher glycemic index than brown rice, the researchers say. That index is a measure of how fast a particular food raises blood glucose levels, compared with the same amount of glucose.

“The high glycemic index of white rice consumption is likely the consequence of disrupting the physical and botanical structure of rice grains during the refining process,” the authors write. “The other consequence of the refining process includes loss of fiber, vitamins, magnesium and other minerals, lignans, phytoestrogens, and phytic acid, many of which may be protective factors for diabetes risk.”

They recommend replacing white rice and other refined grains with brown rice to try to prevent type 2 diabetes.

Brown rice, the researchers say, often does not generate as fast an increase in blood sugar levels after a meal."

My apologies for being confusing earlier

hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    ^^

Sorry, yeah, I see it now and I realize I didn't read it well.

My apologizes.
    "And Those Who Were Seen Dancing Were Thought to be Insane by Those Who Could Not Hear the Music."

astrostu will become famous soon enough. (+50) astrostu will become famous soon enough. (+50) astrostu will become famous soon enough. (+50) astrostu will become famous soon enough. (+50) astrostu will become famous soon enough. (+50) astrostu will become famous soon enough. (+50) astrostu will become famous soon enough. (+50) astrostu will become famous soon enough. (+50) astrostu will become famous soon enough. (+50) astrostu will become famous soon enough. (+50) astrostu will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    USDA guidelines are <25% of your calories should come from sugars. That's usually very easy to do if you're watching your weight.

Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I keep it minimal, and stick to complex carbs that contain minimal amounts of sugar.

I have heaps better energy throughout the day that way and i don't crash out like i used to. I train harder for longer as well.
    advertising/self-promotion not permitted