matt_kw is on a distinguished road. (+10) matt_kw is on a distinguished road. (+10) matt_kw is on a distinguished road. (+10) matt_kw is on a distinguished road. (+10) matt_kw is on a distinguished road. (+10) matt_kw is on a distinguished road. (+10) matt_kw is on a distinguished road. (+10) matt_kw is on a distinguished road. (+10) matt_kw is on a distinguished road. (+10) matt_kw is on a distinguished road. (+10) matt_kw is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Calling all young Dads!

Hey Guys, I am a 33 year old Dad - my son just turned 2 on the weekend. I have been finding it hard to make time for working out -- so much to do, and wanting to spend time with my son... It certainly doesn't get any easier to find time for exercise and fitness once you have kids. Balancing career, family, time with your spouse, and chores/stuff to do -- it always seems like there aren't enough hours in the day!

Just curious to hear your ideas about how to stay motivated, finding time to workout, and how you all make it work!

I have installed a small home gym (pull-up bar, flat bench, bowflex adjustable dumbbells) - so I am trying to make an effort to work out a few nights each week at home - but it certainly is a challenge!

Hoping to get some ADDED motivation from all you young Dads on here that have made the committment and have the results to show for it! (I've already chatted with some of you before!)

Thanks guys!
    Goal to add lean muscle and drop bf% - get it done!

stunad260 is just really nice. (+1000) stunad260 is just really nice. (+1000) stunad260 is just really nice. (+1000) stunad260 is just really nice. (+1000) stunad260 is just really nice. (+1000) stunad260 is just really nice. (+1000) stunad260 is just really nice. (+1000) stunad260 is just really nice. (+1000) stunad260 is just really nice. (+1000) stunad260 is just really nice. (+1000) stunad260 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Life has a way of rearranging priorities for us, lol. Right now, with the demands of your son, family, work, etc, try to make working out easy. If its too much of a chore you'll find it easier to blow off and harder to get motivated.

Shoot for two days a week at first and try to do your favorite exercises. I used to do wednesdays and saturdays for a while and it worked. There was enough time in between to let me get over any soreness and I focused on the things I liked doing most so I was less likely to blow it off. I didnt make MAD gains but I did make some. Most importantly I didnt backslide!

That kept me in it for about 6 months and then I added a third day on Tuesdays for legs. I did that for about a year until my schedule opened up a little and I could do a bit more.

Like I said, try to keep it simple and easy for right now. Your biggest priority is that child and sharing every moment with him you can cause all too soon, Dad, you wont be the coolest toy on the block anymore... and you'll almost have too MUCH time on your hands. Enjoy it while its there brother
    Old guys RULE!!!

LPMNDCTE is on a distinguished road. (+10) LPMNDCTE is on a distinguished road. (+10) LPMNDCTE is on a distinguished road. (+10) LPMNDCTE is on a distinguished road. (+10) LPMNDCTE is on a distinguished road. (+10) LPMNDCTE is on a distinguished road. (+10) LPMNDCTE is on a distinguished road. (+10) LPMNDCTE is on a distinguished road. (+10) LPMNDCTE is on a distinguished road. (+10) LPMNDCTE is on a distinguished road. (+10) LPMNDCTE is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Well, I actually thought I was going to give up a few days ago. I have sleep acnea and my Big Lift numbers are somewhat inconsistent. I had one ofs the worst workouts of my life because of # a few days ago,. Then, I took an extra day off from lifting and finally got a max on my Bench Press. Who would figure?

Anyways, I have a 2 year old son and my wife is pregnant again with a daughter. My advise is if you have someone that is assisting you with your child or children spend as much time, no matter how tired you are, with them. Do all the little things you can and make sure your wife/girlfriend see you trying hard. Then, when its GYM TIME, focus on GYM ONLY.

I only lift 3 days a week because I really dont have anymore time without losing the little bit of sleep I get every night.

Cook your food to cover at least 2-3 days so you can take it to work already straight from the fridge.
    CURRENT Maxes (AS OF 12/6/2012):

December 2014 Goals

sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I didn't start working out until my son was born. I was up to ~220 lbs and had been sitting on my ass at a desk job during the day and in front of the computer/TV for five years. I decided that I wanted to be a good example and not a father who expected the children to do as he said but not as he did. I started working out and dropped down to ~180lbs as of a month ago. I'm bulking now to put on some mass. I eat very clean and exercise, which IMO is a great example for your children.

My wife doesn't mind that I workout 3-4 days a week after work. It's my 4-5 hours a week where it's just me and the iron.

sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by LPMNDCTE View Post
    Anyways, I have a 2 year old son and my wife is pregnant again with a daughter. My advise is if you have someone that is assisting you with your child or children spend as much time, no matter how tired you are, with them. Do all the little things you can and make sure your wife/girlfriend see you trying hard. Then, when its GYM TIME, focus on GYM ONLY.
    Haha, nice. My son just turned 16 months old and we are expecting his little sister to arrive in a month. It's going to be a crazy few months!

schmack has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) schmack has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) schmack has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) schmack has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) schmack has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) schmack has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) schmack has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) schmack has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) schmack has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) schmack has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) schmack has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by matt_kw View Post
    Hey Guys, I am a 33 year old Dad - my son just turned 2 on the weekend. I have been finding it hard to make time for working out -- so much to do, and wanting to spend time with my son... It certainly doesn't get any easier to find time for exercise and fitness once you have kids. Balancing career, family, time with your spouse, and chores/stuff to do -- it always seems like there aren't enough hours in the day!

Just curious to hear your ideas about how to stay motivated, finding time to workout, and how you all make it work!

I have installed a small home gym (pull-up bar, flat bench, bowflex adjustable dumbbells) - so I am trying to make an effort to work out a few nights each week at home - but it certainly is a challenge!

Hoping to get some ADDED motivation from all you young Dads on here that have made the committment and have the results to show for it! (I've already chatted with some of you before!)

Thanks guys!
    I have a 4 year old daughter and 1 year old son. I'm 35 and I have transitioned my workouts to 5:30am from 6pm.

The wife and I use to go at 6pm together but now she goes at 6pm while I watch the kids in the evening.

It was tough getting there that early but I am now use to it and find it beter since the crowd is a lot smaller. The other driving frce for me to go early is because i wanted to spend time with my kids and wife later in the day.

In a few months we will probably start bringing our kids to the gym since they have a 2 hour max child watch center which is huge!
    Good luck and Congrats!
    Instagram= lighteyedhapa

There is no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness. Po

onebadyfz450 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebadyfz450 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebadyfz450 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebadyfz450 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebadyfz450 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebadyfz450 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebadyfz450 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebadyfz450 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebadyfz450 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebadyfz450 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebadyfz450 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wow I definitely know the feeling. I got a 1 year old. Ive been working out for along time and now its definitely the hardest to get into the gym.

All my buddies that lift, they don’t have no idea!

I cant go lift till the baby goes to bed, and instead of buying protein powder ,,, I gota buy pampers!

But its all worth it when I see that pretty baby smile.

Last edited by onebadyfz450; 07-28-2010 at 08:44 AM.
    Trying to get huge...

Current Lifts
    Bench - 335 : 1
    Squat - 365 : 6
    Deadlift - 315 : 14

Losing to Crohns! :( Reach_Yeah's Avatar
    Reach_Yeah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reach_Yeah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reach_Yeah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reach_Yeah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reach_Yeah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reach_Yeah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reach_Yeah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reach_Yeah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reach_Yeah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reach_Yeah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reach_Yeah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Another young-ish dad here! I'm 29 with a 2 yr old daughter and another kid on the way in about a month's time!

Its tough training with kids, and I don't expect my wife to do all the work! I get up early before they are awake and go for a run or cycle to free up some evenings. I go to the gym 3 evenings a week, and take my daughter out at least 1 evening a week to give my wife a break. After my daughter goes to bed I cook my next day lunch and usually make enough for the others too, and sometimes prepare the tea for the next day too. I really don't get a lot of rest time. Sunday is my day of rest. But thats my choice so I can't complain!

Its gonna be even tougher when the 2nd one comes though!

carlsonjp will become famous soon enough. (+50) carlsonjp will become famous soon enough. (+50) carlsonjp will become famous soon enough. (+50) carlsonjp will become famous soon enough. (+50) carlsonjp will become famous soon enough. (+50) carlsonjp will become famous soon enough. (+50) carlsonjp will become famous soon enough. (+50) carlsonjp will become famous soon enough. (+50) carlsonjp will become famous soon enough. (+50) carlsonjp will become famous soon enough. (+50) carlsonjp will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    repped for being a good dad!

I got stationed in Korea for 1 year alone the same week my daughter turned 2. That is how I am able to workout and do what I enjoy. I will say before that I left I went to the gym on some occasions and missed out on what was more important. You are doing the right thing by trying to balance your time. Your wife and more importantly your daughter will think you in the long run.

So what I am saying is I wish I did what you are doing now...

Good Luck!

Thomasino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey guys,

I know this thread is old, but staying fit as a husband and father have never been more imperative.

I think I speak for everyone when I say we're all working with limited time, resources and money, but fitness IS STILL possible!

Whether you're trying to lose weight, gain muscle, or stay in shape, we can all offer insight and encouragement (not criticism) as we progress toward our goals.

Showing up is ninety percent of the equation.

therealocgamer is just really nice. (+1000) therealocgamer is just really nice. (+1000) therealocgamer is just really nice. (+1000) therealocgamer is just really nice. (+1000) therealocgamer is just really nice. (+1000) therealocgamer is just really nice. (+1000) therealocgamer is just really nice. (+1000) therealocgamer is just really nice. (+1000) therealocgamer is just really nice. (+1000) therealocgamer is just really nice. (+1000) therealocgamer is just really nice. (+1000)
    Similar story here, second kid arriving in a month

Won't bore everyone with the details but after a few years of being unable to get to the gym consistently, I had to bite the bullet and invest in setting up the home gym. Hope it's going well for you

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by therealocgamer View Post
    Similar story here, second kid arriving in a month

Won't bore everyone with the details but after a few years of being unable to get to the gym consistently, I had to bite the bullet and invest in setting up the home gym. Hope it's going well for you
    That's great, man. A home gym is one of the best investments you can make.
    Last edited by Thomasino; 08-05-2022 at 05:39 PM.

Grocery Shopping on a budget

Hey fellow dads,

It's 2022, and we are all suffering at the gas pump and the grocery store, but I want to share my current shopping list to save money and reach my fitness goals. I shop at Aldi, but you will find similar prices at other stores like Walmart.

If you are shopping for something like Keto or Paleo, you can make minor changes like eliminating most items in the carb category or increasing fat and protein, but this list translates well for most diets.

PROTEIN

• 2x Boneless Skinless chicken breast 3lb
    • 2x Cottage cheese 8 oz
    • Dozen eggs

CARBS

• Oats 42 oz (This will last about two weeks)
    • Russet potatoes 10lb bag (This will last about two weeks)
    • 2x Frozen Veggies 12 oz bag
    • 6x bananas

FATS

• Salted Butter 16 oz box (This will last about two-three weeks)
    • Olive Oil 16.9 Fl oz bottle (This will last about two-three weeks)
    • Natural Peanut Butter

As I stated above, most of these items will last you a few weeks. You’re total should be close to about thirty-five dollars a week, especially if you alternate the items that last longer (Buy butter one week, olive oil another week, you get the picture).

Hopefully, someone finds this helpful.

Sineda is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by matt_kw View Post

Thanks guys!
    33 here. Two under 6 y/o kids and I've only just began to get 6-7 hours of uninterrupted sleep.

When the first child was born I used to hit the gym before work at 6.30am. It was very hard but my motivation was that I had to avoid the rush hour traffic/being stuck on the motorway for hours and be late for work. After work I ensured to spend quality time with kids by going straight to the playground/park or just be woth the family.

Then came career change, then another child, then COVID and lockdown and no gym for nearly two years, stress, anxiety, WFH without much movement, takeaways, gym re-opened but I had no motivation, I setup a small home gym but couldn't be bothered to do anything. I went from being 9% BF and 81kg to 101kg with 30% BF.

6 months ago I decided that it was enough and so I started from the beginning. Gym before work, come home when the kids wake up (7.30am and I start work at 9am), cook breakfast and take the kids to school before work. I'm currently 91kg with 21% BF.

For me personally, routine is the key motivator. I wake up at 6am even on days off and so I jave no choice but to wake up as laying in bed doesn't do anything to me. I can't lay in bed like some people lol.

Smile

Originally Posted by Sineda View Post
    33 here. Two under 6 y/o kids and I've only just began to get 6-7 hours of uninterrupted sleep.

When the first child was born I used to hit the gym before work at 6.30am. It was very hard but my motivation was that I had to avoid the rush hour traffic/being stuck on the motorway for hours and be late for work. After work I ensured to spend quality time with kids by going straight to the playground/park or just be woth the family.

Then came career change, then another child, then COVID and lockdown and no gym for nearly two years, stress, anxiety, WFH without much movement, takeaways, gym re-opened but I had no motivation, I setup a small home gym but couldn't be bothered to do anything. I went from being 9% BF and 81kg to 101kg with 30% BF.

6 months ago I decided that it was enough and so I started from the beginning. Gym before work, come home when the kids wake up (7.30am and I start work at 9am), cook breakfast and take the kids to school before work. I'm currently 91kg with 21% BF.

For me personally, routine is the key motivator. I wake up at 6am even on days off and so I jave no choice but to wake up as laying in bed doesn't do anything to me. I can't lay in bed like some people lol.

I started doing the same thing, going to bed and waking up the same time every day (or most days).

That makes the work days feel like less of a grind.

TheMixer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This is a good necro. My toddler is a motivator for me to get back in shape. Good dads come in all shapes and sizes but I remember some of the most fun dads were the ones who would be able to chase us and roughhouse as a kids. I want to be that dad for my kid and his friends.

I want to get my son pumped up about lifting by setting a good example now. That will pay dividends in the future because that will be time for us to bond . It would be great if I could show him things so he won't have parse through the "advice" formed by marketing departments and professional shills.

Originally Posted by Sineda View Post
    , I setup a small home gym but couldn't be bothered to do anything. I went from being 9% BF and 81kg to 101kg with 30% BF.
    Man this is the truth. Have seen it myself and heard it from so many others - once you get blessed with the home gym, it's strange but it's almost like you stop working out. I don't know why that is but it's a damn shame. Good luck to you getting back into it. If you were at 9% so recently, I know you'll be able to turn it around

RosalynNewton is not very helpful. (-500) RosalynNewton is not very helpful. (-500) RosalynNewton is not very helpful. (-500) RosalynNewton is not very helpful. (-500) RosalynNewton is not very helpful. (-500) RosalynNewton is not very helpful. (-500) RosalynNewton is not very helpful. (-500) RosalynNewton is not very helpful. (-500) RosalynNewton is not very helpful. (-500) RosalynNewton is not very helpful. (-500) RosalynNewton is not very helpful. (-500)
    i workout then my boyfriend gets more motivated its like we fall in competition ,its a healthy thing