BigJim1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJim1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJim1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJim1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJim1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJim1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJim1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJim1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJim1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJim1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJim1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

When to use knee wraps?

I have been out of this game for quite some time. Starting a family took all my time and I let time go by and not train seriously over the past 10 years. I have been overseas for the past 10 months and have been training around 8 of those months with the last 4 or so trying to get back into a powerlifting regiment. My lifts have suprisingly come back quite nicely but hve been doing everything raw. No belt, wraps, suit etc. I just got a new belt and was considering purchasing some wraps. My question is, when do you use knee wraps? Is there a certain percentage of my 1RM that I should be using them? Any advice would be apprecited. Also, the last ones I had were I think called Gold Line? But that was a long time ago.

Thanks, James

koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BigJim1971 View Post
    I have been out of this game for quite some time. Starting a family took all my time and I let time go by and not train seriously over the past 10 years. I have been overseas for the past 10 months and have been training around 8 of those months with the last 4 or so trying to get back into a powerlifting regiment. My lifts have suprisingly come back quite nicely but hve been doing everything raw. No belt, wraps, suit etc. I just got a new belt and was considering purchasing some wraps. My question is, when do you use knee wraps? Is there a certain percentage of my 1RM that I should be using them? Any advice would be apprecited. Also, the last ones I had were I think called Gold Line? But that was a long time ago.

Thanks, James
    Unless you plan on competing with wraps, I wouldn't recommend them at all. Only a couple of federations allow knee wraps if you're lifting raw, and unless you plan to use them in competition, there's really no point in using them. If you do get them, they're really not used except for max attempt near meet time.
    314/231/352/881@123

cupcakekid is a name known to all. (+5000) cupcakekid is a name known to all. (+5000) cupcakekid is a name known to all. (+5000) cupcakekid is a name known to all. (+5000) cupcakekid is a name known to all. (+5000) cupcakekid is a name known to all. (+5000) cupcakekid is a name known to all. (+5000) cupcakekid is a name known to all. (+5000) cupcakekid is a name known to all. (+5000) cupcakekid is a name known to all. (+5000) cupcakekid is a name known to all. (+5000)
    alot of guys on my team just go by feel. also when you feel/see your knees starting to travel inwards a bit you should definately start wrapping up. i personnally dont put them on til i hit 550, my 1rm is 620

Doollas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Doollas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Doollas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Doollas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Doollas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Doollas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Doollas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Doollas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Doollas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Doollas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Doollas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by koyongi View Post
    Unless you plan on competing with wraps, I wouldn't recommend them at all. Only a couple of federations allow knee wraps if you're lifting raw, and unless you plan to use them in competition, there's really no point in using them. If you do get them, they're really not used except for max attempt near meet time.
    I dunno, I think they are good for getting parts of your body used to heavier weight without failing reps. Squatting 450 with wraps and passing makes 400 seem light on my back ya know? That being said, I use them one workout every month or two...typically after working up to a raw 1,2, or 3 rep max.

BigJim1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJim1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJim1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJim1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJim1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJim1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJim1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJim1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJim1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJim1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJim1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the responses.

I do plan on competing again and will probably try some raw stuff and assisted stuff as well. I guess from what I am hearing unless it is a raw lift of course you should use them somewhere around 85% of your max or so.

Thanks Again

Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you do get them, they're really not used except for max attempt near meet time.
    at wild iron, maybe

If you wanna compete in them, practice like you play. wear them for all work sets. they dont have to be super tight all the time though
    Last edited by Boridi; 07-26-2010 at 05:43 AM.

chicago is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chicago is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chicago is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chicago is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chicago is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chicago is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chicago is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chicago is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chicago is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chicago is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chicago is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Doollas View Post
    I dunno, I think they are good for getting parts of your body used to heavier weight without failing reps. Squatting 450 with wraps and passing makes 400 seem light on my back ya know? That being said, I use them one workout every month or two...typically after working up to a raw 1,2, or 3 rep max.
    agree. good post.

powerlifting to me is 90% mental. anything that can give you an edge.

if you know that your body can handle 450 with wraps you know that it's only a matter of time before you can hit that weight without them.

koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Doollas View Post
    Originally Posted by Boridi View Post
    at wild iron, maybe

If you wanna compete in them, practice like you play. wear them for all work sets. they dont have to be super tight all the time though
    There's nothing wrong with once every month or two. The problem I see is people using them every squat attempt. Sure, practice like you play, but you're training to get stronger, not JUST to be in your gear (even if it's just knee wraps). You wouldn't train with your shirt super jacked every bench day, or in your extra-tight competition suit, or sniff ammonia before every attempt in the gym. You wouldn't deload a full week before every max attempt. There are some things that are better saved for the extra edge on meet day. In my opinion, knee wraps are one of those things that are more of an ego boost during training (which granted, has its place every once in a while) rather than an everyday training tool.
    314/231/352/881@123

pjb12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pjb12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pjb12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pjb12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pjb12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pjb12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pjb12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pjb12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pjb12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pjb12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pjb12 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    There's nothing wrong with once every month or two. The problem I see is people using them every squat attempt. Sure, practice like you play, but you're training to get stronger, not JUST to be in your gear (even if it's just knee wraps). You wouldn't train with your shirt super jacked every bench day, or in your extra-tight competition suit, or sniff ammonia before every attempt in the gym. You wouldn't deload a full week before every max attempt. There are some things that are better saved for the extra edge on meet day. In my opinion, knee wraps are one of those things that are more of an ego boost during training (which granted, has its place every once in a while) rather than an everyday training tool.
    brb... forgetting everything I thought I knew about training... and returning that economy sized box of nose torque

Seriously though, I was taught to wear them when I approached maximal effort . They are more of a crutch to me. Like broscience I guess? Make me feel like the knees won't hurt as bad the next day.

On another note, anyone else use knee wraps on elbows to handle heavier weights on bench? Like posted earlier getting used to handling a load heavier than you can handle I guess.... again something I was taught...
    My PL log:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=550464903