Closed Thread
Page 1 of 375 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast
    thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

There's a ham in the power rack! Hobbes' Journal.

I have now been lifting for exactly 2 yrs and decided it’s time for a workout journal! I want to start off year 3 strong and continue progressing. My goals have always been to gain strength and size, and eventually be able to walk down the street and make children cry, bwah ha ha! I’m currently 160lbs (after a cut from 175ish). I lost a lot of body fat, but still have a fair amount of abdominal ham on me (yes, ham), but would rather be a bit bigger and not go under 150lbs. I love going to the gym and having those rage fueled workouts, getting to just throw some weights around while sweating profusely and cursing at my Ipod. (Stupid earbuds break every other week!)

I started off with very limited equipment in a crappy gym (machines only) and some cardio. Soon bought a bench and Olympic 200lb weight set, and then joined a real gym with more equipment than I knew what do with. I’ve used this site for over a year now to learn about the main lifts, workout splits, nutrition, etc, and am happy to say I’ve made a lot of progress and continue to improve every week. I mainly use free weights now.

Main lifts:
    -Bench 207 (got there after a year of slow weight progression and a run at 5x5s)
    -Squat 240 (started 4 mths ago, couldn’t even do 95lbs on a stupid Smith machine when I started, lol)
    -Deadlift 235 (started 4 mths ago, got the form down pretty well, just need to add some more weight now!)

Current split:
    1) Chest/Shoulders
    -Bench press
    -Incline dumbbell press
    -Standing overhead press
    -Seated dumbbell presses
    -Dumbbell lat raises
    -Int/Ext cable rotations
    -Pec fly machine or chest press

2) Back/Hams
    -Deadlifts
    -Calves
    -Barbell rows
    -Ham curls
    -Barbell shrugs (Smith)
    -Pullups or lat pulldowns
    -Delt fly machine

3)Biceps/Triceps/Quads
    -Squats
    -Leg curls
    -Barbell curls
    -Dumbbell/hammer curls
    -Cable curls
    -Close grip bench press
    -Tricep pushdowns
    -Diamond pushups

It usually takes 5 days to complete the cycle (including rest days), and I do some abs and very short cardio at the end of my workouts.

Main goals for December 2010:
    Bench: 225
    Squat: 275
    Dead: 300
    Also to get those damn 65lb dumbbells up for incline pressing! I’ve been stuck at the 60s for awhile (can get sets of 8-10 now), but can’t get that initial one up on 65s. I’m sure I could use a spotter to get em up and rep some out, but I’d rather just get stronger and complete the lift myself.

As for nutrition I eat pretty healthy and am getting about 2500 calories a day. Had to cut back on the protein to like 130g (was doing 200g) because it’s screwing up my blood test results. Progress hasn’t slowed down any with the protein change, so it was probably overkill to do 200g at my weight. I supplement only with ON Protein (tried some creatine products but those tend to upset my stomach). I’m trying to slowly up my calories for a clean bulk.

Today’s a rest day, but tomorrow Ham On!

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Bicep/tricep/quad day:

QUADS:
    Squats: 135x7
    155x7
    170x7
    185x7
    200x7 (matched my PR)
    210 (failed attempt)
    135x12

Leg Ext: 3 sets at 180 (10, 9, 9)

BICEPS:
    Barbell Curls: 80lbs for 3x10
    Standing Curls: 30lbs for 2x10
    Hammer Curls: 35lbs for 2x10
    Cable Curls: 140lbs (8, 7, 6)
    Resistance Band Curls: 2x10

TRICEPS:
    Close Grip Bench: 120lbs 3x7
    Pushdowns: 80lbs 3x10
    Diamond Pushups: (20, 15)

Fun workout! Been having a lot of pain in my left quad (haven’t repped anything over 185 on squat for weeks). Stretched more and did some slow/light leg presses to warm up, seemed to help a lot. Went for 210lbs and got caught at the bottom! I’ll get it soon, just need this quad to heal.

This is why I always use a power rack when I’m doing any barbell exercise where I’m lifting anything that weighs more than me over my head/body! I’m alright with having to do that every once in awhile so I know I’m going to max effort. You just have to practice in advance so you know how to bail out without killing yourself.

Got a great bicep and tricep pump as usual!

Ohhh yeah, almost forgot, did my usual cardio at the end of my workout: 8 min. on the bike. Yes, I am afraid of cardio, can't even get myself to do a 10 min. session cause I don't know what would happen! (I'd be really pissed to lose a lot of weight.)

I'm the only female in my gym afraid of cardio, and sadly the only female trying to throw up as much weight as possible for size/strength. The chicks at my gym run away from anything I'm doing, lol. It would be nice to see them (or ANYONE) deadlifting at my gym. At least the equipment I need is always free though!

punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hey! Saw your catchy thread and thought I'd join in! lol Your strength is very impressive. Definately something to aspire (myself) someday.
    How long has your quad been bothering you? Have you considered a deload?
    I read some interesting research on cardio such as HIIT can actually improve muscle gains. I tend to do LISS (light) cardio for an hour to maintain my muscle mass while cutting. Did I mention how much cutting sucks? lol
    And yeah, weightlifting is sadly a male dominated sport. There are surprisingly alot of women at my gym who do it. Alot of fitness models but very, very few who lift extremely heavy or have much muscle mass at all.

Anyways, keep it up! Your avi is looking killer!
    Bodybuilding is not weight and repetitions; it’s resistance and absolute muscle failure. It’s not quantitative; it’s qualitative. It’s more mental than physical. It’s more control than rage. It’s the realization that you can always get bigger. ~ bodybuilding

Originally Posted by punxnotdead309 View Post
    Hey! Saw your catchy thread and thought I'd join in! lol Your strength is very impressive. Definately something to aspire (myself) someday.
    How long has your quad been bothering you? Have you considered a deload?
    I read some interesting research on cardio such as HIIT can actually improve muscle gains. I tend to do LISS (light) cardio for an hour to maintain my muscle mass while cutting. Did I mention how much cutting sucks? lol
    And yeah, weightlifting is sadly a male dominated sport. There are surprisingly alot of women at my gym who do it. Alot of fitness models but very, very few who lift extremely heavy or have much muscle mass at all.

Anyways, keep it up! Your avi is looking killer!
    Welcome to the thread and thanks for the compliments! This quad has been acting up for a few weeks, kind of a lingering thing which just got worse. I did a deload 4mths ago, then came back to start a couple new exercises: squat, deadlift, barbell rows. I don't deload as often as they recommend, but I hate to take that break when lifts are going up and I'm feeling great in the gym most days. I will look into HIIT, been hearing that's really tough, so maybe I should push myself out of my comfort zone on the cardio.

Haha, yeah cutting sucks. Best of luck to you with that. Glad you found something to help maintain hard earned muscle, that small strength loss is something that always freaks me out with a cut! "My bench went down 10lbs, my life is over!" lol

That's cool you have so many female lifters at your gym. I'm not really shocked a lot of women are not looking to get monsterously big and be able to deadlift their car (that's my goal, heehee), but I mean come on people, how is there not one other chick in my gym who benches at all?? They avoid the power rack and dumbbells over 10lbs like the plague. It'd be nice to have some fellow female bb-ers for a spot, or form check, and of course motivation. I am finding A LOT of strong women on this site which is great!

Thanks for the comments, good luck with your fitness goals, and stop by any time!

alyssa.super is on a distinguished road. (+10) alyssa.super is on a distinguished road. (+10) alyssa.super is on a distinguished road. (+10) alyssa.super is on a distinguished road. (+10) alyssa.super is on a distinguished road. (+10) alyssa.super is on a distinguished road. (+10) alyssa.super is on a distinguished road. (+10) alyssa.super is on a distinguished road. (+10) alyssa.super is on a distinguished road. (+10) alyssa.super is on a distinguished road. (+10) alyssa.super is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    hahahahaha I couldn't stop laughing after your walking down the street comment that is hilarious!

You are so freakin strong great work you are putting in ... I am very impressed and I will continue to read!
    <-sUper - - <3

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=604015083&posted=1#post604015083

Originally Posted by alyssa.super View Post
    hahahahaha I couldn't stop laughing after your walking down the street comment that is hilarious!

You are so freakin strong great work you are putting in ... I am very impressed and I will continue to read!
    Heehee, yeah I thought it would be fun to add in a little humor. I am quite jolly when not trying to scare little kids. Thanks for the support!!

hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    sub'd! Yesss for strength and muscle building! GO GET IT!
    Push it to the limit!!!!

Favorite saying - GO GET IT!

I am a "beastess" - thanks Brian!!!

12-11-10 first powerlifting meet
    314.16/187/341 - 843 lbs total raw!

3-26-11 USPA state championship
    314.16/198.7/352 - 865lbs total raw - best female raw lifter (Open division)

On to nationals!!!

Chest/Shoulder Day:

*Week 2 of new 5x5s on bench, reset at 135 (screwed up last time by starting too heavy), gonna do it right this time!
    *New Exercise: Overhead Barbell Press

CHEST:

Bench:
    140lbs for 5x5 (paused 2 seconds at chest on each rep, moving bar REALLY SLOW, damn near perfect form, great pump!)

Incline Dumbbell Press:
    55x10
    65 - failed attempt
    60x9
    60x7
    55x9

Pec Fly Machine:
    135lbs (10, 8)

Leverage Chest Press (count plates only)
    90x10
    140x6
    180 - failed attempt
    160x3

SHOULDERS:

*Overhead Press (Smith Machine so wts are less I'm sure because of counterbalance, 2nd time trying these, *wt increase):
    65x10
    75x10
    85x8
    90x5

Int. Cable Rotations: first plate for 2x10
    Ext. Cable Rotations: 30lbs for 2x10

*Dumbbell Lat. Raises (*wt increase): 15lbs (9,8,8)

Alternating Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 30lbs (8,8,7)

OTHER:
    Ab Machine: 70lbs for 3x10

Cardio: Bike for 8min, 1.2miles

Felt great today, chest days are always fun for me. I love the overhead presses but want to switch to barbell asap. Our power rack doesn't have a mirror directly in front of it, only on the side, so I'm not sure if I should just wing it next time and try without being able to see what I'm doing, or just bring the frickin barbell into the Smith Rack. No way in hell I'll try these without being in a rack. I'd probably konk myself in the forehead, hit some dude next to me, break a $600 mirror, and make some cardio bunny fall off the eliptical laughing at me and break her ankle, heehee!

Shoulders are a weak point for me, so I want to work at that. During my time lurking on these boards the past couple yrs I've learned a very straightforward way to increase your bench is to build strong shoulders and triceps. My sticking point on bench/dumbbell pressing has always been right when the weight is level with the chest, that's why I still can't get those 65s up. I will though, oh I will, BWAH HA HA HA!!!

And I'm doing 5x5s for bench for round 2. Didn't follow the instructions last time and started at 155 because I was like oh I can do that for sets of 7-9 easy. It still worked, ended up being able to do a few sets of 175x5 which was an awesome improvement for me, but it got exhausting really quick. So now I started it at 135, doing pause bench and moving that bar as slow as possible. Unrack it nice and level, keep the bar even, touch chest and hold, slow and steady back up. I'll be doing touch and go when it starts to get heavy.
    Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by thehobbes View Post
    Chest/Shoulder Day:

*Week 2 of new 5x5s on bench, reset at 135 (screwed up last time by starting too heavy), gonna do it right this time!
    *New Exercise: Overhead Barbell Press

CHEST:

Bench:
    140lbs for 5x5 (paused 2 seconds at chest on each rep, moving bar REALLY SLOW, damn near perfect form, great pump!)

Incline Dumbbell Press:
    55x10
    65 - failed attempt
    60x9
    60x7
    55x9

Pec Fly Machine:
    135lbs (10, 8)

90x10
    140x6
    180 - failed attempt
    160x3

SHOULDERS:

*Overhead Press (Smith Machine so wts are less I'm sure because of counterbalance, 2nd time trying these, *wt increase):
    65x10
    75x10
    85x8
    90x5

Int. Cable Rotations: first plate for 2x10
    Ext. Cable Rotations: 30lbs for 2x10

*Dumbbell Lat. Raises (*wt increase): 15lbs (9,8,8)

Alternating Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 30lbs (8,8,7)

OTHER:
    Ab Machine: 70lbs for 3x10

Cardio: Bike for 8min, 1.2miles

Felt great today, chest days are always fun for me. I love the overhead presses but want to switch to barbell asap. Our power rack doesn't have a mirror directly in front of it, only on the side, so I'm not sure if I should just wing it next time and try without being able to see what I'm doing, or just bring the frickin barbell into the Smith Rack. No way in hell I'll try these without being in a rack. I'd probably konk myself in the forehead, hit some dude next to me, break a $600 mirror, and make some cardio bunny fall off the eliptical laughing at me and break her ankle, heehee!

Shoulders are a weak point for me, so I want to work at that. During my time lurking on these boards the past couple yrs I've learned a very straightforward way to increase your bench is to build strong shoulders and triceps. My sticking point on bench/dumbbell pressing has always been right when the weight is level with the chest, that's why I still can't get those 65s up. I will though, oh I will, BWAH HA HA HA!!!

And I'm doing 5x5s for bench for round 2. Didn't follow the instructions last time and started at 155 because I was like oh I can do that for sets of 7-9 easy. It still worked, ended up being able to do a few sets of 175x5 which was an awesome improvement for me, but it got exhausting really quick. So now I started it at 135, doing pause bench and moving that bar as slow as possible. Unrack it nice and level, keep the bar even, touch chest and hold, slow and steady back up. I'll be doing touch and go when it starts to get heavy.
    awesome workout! Your strength is impressive!
    Push it to the limit!!!!

On to nationals!!!

strong kathy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) strong kathy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) strong kathy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) strong kathy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) strong kathy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) strong kathy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) strong kathy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) strong kathy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) strong kathy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) strong kathy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) strong kathy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What are leverage Chest Presses?

90x10
    140x6
    180 - failed attempt
    160x3

alyssa.super is on a distinguished road. (+10) alyssa.super is on a distinguished road. (+10) alyssa.super is on a distinguished road. (+10) alyssa.super is on a distinguished road. (+10) alyssa.super is on a distinguished road. (+10) alyssa.super is on a distinguished road. (+10) alyssa.super is on a distinguished road. (+10) alyssa.super is on a distinguished road. (+10) alyssa.super is on a distinguished road. (+10) alyssa.super is on a distinguished road. (+10) alyssa.super is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Bench 140? Wow I am lucky when I get 115 .. i hope i am that strong someday
    <-sUper - - <3

Originally Posted by hmotb555 View Post
    awesome workout! Your strength is impressive!
    Thanks! By the way you inspired me with your vids. Awesome deadlift, you make it look so easy! I'm shooting for 4 specific lifting goals for Dec. so I'm gonna bust my ass to get there and then get myself a nice video camera as a reward at the end. Make some vids for fun. I love the music on yours too!

Originally Posted by strong kathy View Post
    What are leverage Chest Presses?

90x10
    140x6
    180 - failed attempt
    160x3
    Ah, I probably have the completely wrong name for this. It's a machine you load plates onto (I think the bar that holds them is 45lbs, but could be wrong) and you sit upright in. The handles are independent of each other, and you push forward from chest to lockout, just like a chest press. It says Leverage on the machine so that's why I call it that, lol.

Originally Posted by alyssa.super View Post
    Bench 140? Wow I am lucky when I get 115 .. i hope i am that strong someday
    Keep at it and you will! As far as strength they say if you can bench your body weight you're doing well, so your 115 is impressive.
    Current PRs:

*Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000)
    No problem And it might be a good idea to decrease your lifting load on the quad by not moving into pain. Ooo, I noticed (from experience) that massaging the injured area 3 times a week, some light stretches and ice were all key factors in my recovery. Massage feels nice, too
    And I know exactly how you feel. From the time I started last March '09 to October '09 without a deload lifting 7 x a week heavy. It's hard to also sacrifice the muscle for the fat loss. Big time! So I'm taking it very slowly.

And yeah, I'd love to have a female spotter or something. Someone who lifts as heavy as I do. I have my twin sister, but she has a tendency to skip between sets instead of spotting (I turned her from a cardio bunny to weights lol)

Very strong workout! That is some amazing power you have! And I'm not gonna lie, the thought of a cardio bunny going ass-over-tea-kettle would crack me up big time. Does that make me a bad person? :P

And yeah, those can be problematic to strength gains in your chest. Either way, keep on working hard!
    Welcome to the thread and thanks for the compliments! This quad has been acting up for a few weeks, kind of a lingering thing which just got worse. I did a deload 4mths ago, then came back to start a couple new exercises: squat, deadlift, barbell rows. I don't deload as often as they recommend, but I hate to take that break when lifts are going up and I'm feeling great in the gym most days. I will look into HIIT, been hearing that's really tough, so maybe I should push myself out of my comfort zone on the cardio.

Haha, yeah cutting sucks. Best of luck to you with that. Glad you found something to help maintain hard earned muscle, that small strength loss is something that always freaks me out with a cut! "My bench went down 10lbs, my life is over!" lol

That's cool you have so many female lifters at your gym. I'm not really shocked a lot of women are not looking to get monsterously big and be able to deadlift their car (that's my goal, heehee), but I mean come on people, how is there not one other chick in my gym who benches at all?? They avoid the power rack and dumbbells over 10lbs like the plague. It'd be nice to have some fellow female bb-ers for a spot, or form check, and of course motivation. I am finding A LOT of strong women on this site which is great!

Thanks for the comments, good luck with your fitness goals, and stop by any time!
    Bodybuilding is not weight and repetitions; it’s resistance and absolute muscle failure. It’s not quantitative; it’s qualitative. It’s more mental than physical. It’s more control than rage. It’s the realization that you can always get bigger. ~ bodybuilding

BACK/HAM DAY:

Deadlifts:
    135x7
    155x7
    175x5
    200x4
    135x10
    (Anybody else feel like puking during deads? Ohhh man, after feeling good at 155 it hit me, always does, lol. Had to sit down for a few minutes, ugh.)

Barbell Rows: 135lbs (3x10)

Calves: 240lbs (3x10)

Delt Fly Machine: 75lbs (3x10)

Hammie Curls: 195lbs (9,8,8)

Barbell Shrugs on Smith (yes I know the wt is less b/c of the counterbalance):
    135x10
    185x10
    205x7
    225x6
    (pretty good, used straps as always for this, treating this as a supplimental BB-ing exercise rather than a PL lift, wanna see those traps pop!)

Lat Pulldowns (to chest): 135lbs (10,9)

*Rack Pulls (freeweight barbell, NEW Exercise!)
    135x7
    185x5
    225x6
    255x4
    275x3

Cardio: Bike for 8min, 1.4miles

Pretty decent back day, a little upset deads weren't as good as I wanted today. Just switched back to normal stance (tried Sumo, was seriously hurting that quad). I can pull just fine with normal stance, but I haven't seen a ton of weight improvement with this. So I tried rack pulls (officially confused by these!) Yeah, I'm doing them right, watched my form in a side mirror, straight back, bar starts racked at knee height, just using back to move the weight. Wanted to try more weight but didn't want to overdo this one on the first time. With these I can feel it in my lower back most, and upper back/delts/traps/arms on lockout (held lockout for quite a few seconds each time because it felt awesome!) So I guess I am wondering if these will help with deads? I read yes, it's basically the top half, so you should be able to rack more than you can dead. But are my hams really that weak (cause these seemed really easy compared to how I struggle on deads) or is my upper body just that much stronger than lower? So say I can dead 235 and rack like 300, does that sound about right? Well these are fun so they're getting added to my routine now. And this is the first lift in my life where I had enough weight on there to actually see the bar bend, WAHOO!

I'm sure a lot of you PLing people must do rack pulls, what's your opinion on the functionality of this exercise (as far as helping deadlifts, overall back strength)???
    Current PRs:

Originally Posted by punxnotdead309 View Post
    And I'm not gonna lie, the thought of a cardio bunny going ass-over-tea-kettle would crack me up big time. Does that make me a bad person? :P
    LMAO! No no, doesn't make you a bad person, just somebody with a healthy sense of humor!

And yeah, guess I'll have to back off that quad, grrrr....
    Current PRs:

jkliveng has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jkliveng has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jkliveng has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jkliveng has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jkliveng has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jkliveng has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jkliveng has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jkliveng has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jkliveng has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jkliveng has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jkliveng has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    in on this! your numbers are so kickass. its people like you that make me flip flop on goals!
    Julie
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=514025933#post514025933

Originally Posted by jkliveng View Post
    in on this! your numbers are so kickass. its people like you that make me flip flop on goals!
    Hey, welcome to my journal and thanks for the kind words! Everyone blames the ham... hahaha!!

Ah ha, I see you did some chest/bicep work today, very cool! Good to work on that while the injury heals. I'm kinda struggling with the calories today too, want sleep not more food!

Stay motivated!!
    Current PRs:

Thanks!!! Your bench press is just awesome! I don't know much about rack pulls, but I do rows to help build up my back. It sounds, from your description, that they are not too different...but I shall look into them, you got me intrigued! I know what you mean about wanting sleep...I had a lazy day today...I loafed around until about 2pm lol Have a great night, lady and keep up the great work!
    Push it to the limit!!!!

On to nationals!!!

I absolutely love deadlifts when they aren't hurting like a btich o yeah thats right they always hurt! Good job though so your preference is sumo or regular? I have better form with regular i feel like ...
    <-sUper - - <3

Ahhh, today is a rest day! And about the rack pulls, well they apparently are awesome for every part of your back because damn is mine sore today! I will do some further research on these, but it seems like these will be perfect to help build back, and will hopefully jump start my deadlift.

Hmotb: Yep, gotta love those rows too! I bet you'd do well with rack pulls. Not only is it fun, it looks pretty bad ass, hahaha!

Alyssa: I guess deadlifts are just meant to hurt, but it's motivating! That's the one exercise that just knocks me on my ass every time. And I *think* I prefer regular stance, at least that's what I'm sticking with now.
    Current PRs:

strong kathy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) strong kathy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) strong kathy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) strong kathy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) strong kathy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) strong kathy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) strong kathy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) strong kathy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) strong kathy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) strong kathy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) strong kathy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Rack Pulls. I've been doing them for about 5 months now and absolutely love them. I think they are less prone to back injuries than regular dead lifts. Please post what you find out about them.

All this talk of rack pulls and I'm gonna have to start researching it! I've always wanted to try a deadlift but I'm so afraid of suffering a back injury. I'm accident prone :P

And your numbers look stunning as always.

Enjoy your rest day!

Well I just hit the gym today after 2 days off, I've been feeling like crap since Tues night. Barely ate anything yesterday (feeling pretty nauseated in general, ughhh) and felt worse this morning. So this workout was fueled by Gatorade, iced tea, and a pb Twix bar (this is how you should AVOID eating when bb-ing, lol.) Didn't know if I'd even get through the workout, but it was surprisingly very productive.

But this has been an ongoing problem, pretty much just waking up feeling "hung over" (I don't drink at all now that I'm bb-ing) and my body won't cooperate with eating. I end up in a huge calorie deficit, take a couple extra days off from the gym, and end up feeling worse. And yes, I have already seen a doctor for this and they are looking into it (getting some testing done Sat. as he said it may be a gallbladder problem). It always resolves itself then I am feeling great and wanting to eat everything in sight.

I'm getting frustrated here, but have read other people have similar problems who just say it's kind of part of bb-ing, your body will just get weird like that once in a while, or sick of eating the same healthy foods for months on end. If anybody here has any ideas on this please let me know, I am open to any advice on this. It's a little annoying this interferes with lifting, even though I continue to make gains just fine and pick up where I left off. I just don't want to feel like crap for days at a time every couple months.

So after all the whining, here's today's workout:
    BICEPS/TRICEPS/QUADS

QUADS:
    Squats:
    135x7
    155x7
    170x7
    185x7
    135x25 (didn't feel comfortable going up one more wt level today so I tried this endurance set, quad is feeling decent)

Let Extensions: 180lbs for 3x9

BICEPS:
    Barbell Curls: 80lbs for 3x10 (my all time favorite exercise! )
    Dumbbell Curls: 30lbs for 2x10
    Bicep Cable Curls: 140lbs for 3x8 (big rep improvement)

TRICEPS:
    Close Grip Bench Press: 120lbs (9,9,8) (rep improvement)
    Tricep Pushdowns: 80lbs for 3x10
    Diamond Pushups: 2x20

Great workout despite my calories being all screwed up, makes no sense to me. I do fine with drinking beverages/protein shakes, wondering if I should just chuck everything into the blender with some ice!

On a happier note, I am seriously considering signing up for a lifting meet for 2011. There are a bunch in one big city a few hrs away, I could make a weekend vacation out of it and get a hotel down there. I was looking at past results and WOW there are some strong women competing! I would love to meet some of these people and see them lift. Even if I get my ass completely kicked it would be really cool to see what I can max out at in a competition setting. Ahh, and I can remember back when my 1RM for squat was 135!
    Current PRs:

Well I just hit the gym today after 2 days off, I've been feeling like crap since Tues night. Barely ate anything yesterday (feeling pretty nauseated in general, ughhh) and felt worse this morning. So this workout was fueled by Gatorade, iced tea, and a pb Twix bar (this is how you should AVOID eating when bb-ing, lol.) Didn't know if I'd even get through the workout, but it was surprisingly very productive.

But this has been an ongoing problem, pretty much just waking up feeling "hung over" (I don't drink at all now that I'm bb-ing) and my body won't cooperate with eating. I end up in a huge calorie deficit, take a couple extra days off from the gym, and end up feeling worse. And yes, I have already seen a doctor for this and they are looking into it (getting some testing done Sat. as he said it may be a gallbladder problem). It always resolves itself then I am feeling great and wanting to eat everything in sight.

I'm getting frustrated here, but have read other people have similar problems who just say it's kind of part of bb-ing, your body will just get weird like that once in a while, or sick of eating the same healthy foods for months on end. If anybody here has any ideas on this please let me know, I am open to any advice on this. It's a little annoying this interferes with lifting, even though I continue to make gains just fine and pick up where I left off. I just don't want to feel like crap for days at a time every couple months.

So after all the whining, here's today's workout:
    BICEPS/TRICEPS/QUADS

QUADS:
    Squats:
    135x7
    155x7
    170x7
    185x7
    135x25 (didn't feel comfortable going up one more wt level today so I tried this endurance set, quad is feeling decent)

Let Extensions: 180lbs for 3x9

BICEPS:
    Barbell Curls: 80lbs for 3x10 (my all time favorite exercise! )
    Dumbbell Curls: 30lbs for 2x10
    Bicep Cable Curls: 140lbs for 3x8 (big rep improvement)

TRICEPS:
    Close Grip Bench Press: 120lbs (9,9,8) (rep improvement)
    Tricep Pushdowns: 80lbs for 3x10
    Diamond Pushups: 2x20

Great workout despite my calories being all screwed up, makes no sense to me. I do fine with drinking beverages/protein shakes, wondering if I should just chuck everything into the blender with some ice!

On a happier note, I am seriously considering signing up for a lifting meet for 2011. There are a bunch in one big city a few hrs away, I could make a weekend vacation out of it and get a hotel down there. I was looking at past results and WOW there are some strong women competing! I would love to meet some of these people and see them lift. Even if I get my ass completely kicked it would be really cool to see what I can max out at in a competition setting. Ahh, and I can remember back when my 1RM for squat was 135!
    First off...great workout! 2...yay for deciding to compete! I can totally sympathize with the eating. I get tired of eating the healthy foods and so I just take a break and I eat the "not so good" foods....Hopefully it's nothing serious...I think you just need to give yourself a break from time to time and eat food that you truly enjoy. Also there are some really good recipes that allow you to enjoy the food you love but in a much healthier fashion. I think you just need to put the joy back in eating. Taking a week off from calorie counting and macros won't hurt your goals at all!
    Push it to the limit!!!!

On to nationals!!!

First off...great workout! 2...yay for deciding to compete! I can totally sympathize with the eating. I get tired of eating the healthy foods and so I just take a break and I eat the "not so good" foods....Hopefully it's nothing serious...I think you just need to give yourself a break from time to time and eat food that you truly enjoy. Also there are some really good recipes that allow you to enjoy the food you love but in a much healthier fashion. I think you just need to put the joy back in eating. Taking a week off from calorie counting and macros won't hurt your goals at all!
    Thanks, and I appreciate the input! That's a relief someone else knows what I'm talking about with the food bordem, lol, thought I was going crazy. It shouldn't be anything horrible considering it doesn't stick around long and I'm not puking my guts out. (Wow, nice image, heh.) And I have plenty of energy and intensity in the gym, so that's a good sign. I'm getting a few simple things checked out just in case there is something minor to find. "Ms. Weightlifter Hobbes, we have found a small obstruction in your system, did you ever swallow a Leggo, maybe 20yrs ago??"

I'm going to take that week (diet deload!) and just kind of eat whatever I seem to be in the mood for. And yes, going to stop keeping track of the food numbers for a bit. I'll do a little shopping spree at the grocery store tomorrow to grab some tasty treats. Actually had some bbq wings in the freezer, so I just scarfed down a few and enjoyed it (unlike when I try to eat the SAME ham sandwich I've been having every day for lunch for months). I'm also going to look for some interesting crock pot recipies - got one for a gift and want to try it out. So here goes my experiment at eating like a normal person, lol.
    Current PRs:

Thanks, and I appreciate the input! That's a relief someone else knows what I'm talking about with the food bordem, lol, thought I was going crazy. It shouldn't be anything horrible considering it doesn't stick around long and I'm not puking my guts out. (Wow, nice image, heh.) And I have plenty of energy and intensity in the gym, so that's a good sign. I'm getting a few simple things checked out just in case there is something minor to find. "Ms. Weightlifter Hobbes, we have found a small obstruction in your system, did you ever swallow a Leggo, maybe 20yrs ago??"

I'm going to take that week (diet deload!) and just kind of eat whatever I seem to be in the mood for. And yes, going to stop keeping track of the food numbers for a bit. I'll do a little shopping spree at the grocery store tomorrow to grab some tasty treats. Actually had some bbq wings in the freezer, so I just scarfed down a few and enjoyed it (unlike when I try to eat the SAME ham sandwich I've been having every day for lunch for months). I'm also going to look for some interesting crock pot recipies - got one for a gift and want to try it out. So here goes my experiment at eating like a normal person, lol.
    Good luck! I soooo want a crockpot! Make sure you keep us updated on how it works out! Oh and bbq wings FTW!!!!
    Push it to the limit!!!!

On to nationals!!!

jkliveng has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jkliveng has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jkliveng has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jkliveng has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jkliveng has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jkliveng has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jkliveng has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jkliveng has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jkliveng has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jkliveng has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jkliveng has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I heard if you put a whole chicken in the pot that the meat just falls right off the bone sounds good to me!

I think you should for sure try a meet, you have to start somewhere. Where do you live?
    Julie
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=514025933#post514025933

I heard if you put a whole chicken in the pot that the meat just falls right off the bone sounds good to me!

I think you should for sure try a meet, you have to start somewhere. Where do you live?
    That is correct. Yum

Good luck! I soooo want a crockpot! Make sure you keep us updated on how it works out! Oh and bbq wings FTW!!!!
    Something "clicked" in my brain last night and I was like holy crap I'm STARVING!!! Had quite the feast. Did some fun food shopping, and picked up a big juicy burger and fries from Applebee's on my way home. Those Carside To Go people are efficient, the chick came sprinting outta the restaraunt w/ my food before I even put the car in park, lol!

Ohhhh, yummy! ::Hobbes hides in the backyard with a net in hopes to capture a wild chicken:: I'm in Ohio, and I think Columbus is the place to be for the meets. I live a few hrs away but I love going out to Columbus for fun stuff! Thanks for the support!

Originally Posted by strong kathy View Post
    That is correct. Yum
    Yes that does sound awesome doesn't it? Throw in some fresh carrots and potatos too!
    Current PRs: