maxometer is on a distinguished road. (+10) maxometer is on a distinguished road. (+10) maxometer is on a distinguished road. (+10) maxometer is on a distinguished road. (+10) maxometer is on a distinguished road. (+10) maxometer is on a distinguished road. (+10) maxometer is on a distinguished road. (+10) maxometer is on a distinguished road. (+10) maxometer is on a distinguished road. (+10) maxometer is on a distinguished road. (+10) maxometer is on a distinguished road. (+10)

When recording weight lifted with barbells...

Does one take into account the weight of the actual barbell? I've been recording only added weight for all my barbell exercises, and it just occurred to me to ask if I've been recording accurately or not. Is that the appropriate thing to do? I know most large barbells used for military press, bench press, etc found at the gym are about 45 lbs by themselves, do I consider that 45 lbs or just leave it off when recording lifts?

Thanks!

thegodjr is not very well liked. (-100) thegodjr is not very well liked. (-100) thegodjr is not very well liked. (-100) thegodjr is not very well liked. (-100) thegodjr is not very well liked. (-100) thegodjr is not very well liked. (-100) thegodjr is not very well liked. (-100) thegodjr is not very well liked. (-100) thegodjr is not very well liked. (-100) thegodjr is not very well liked. (-100) thegodjr is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by maxometer View Post
    Does one take into account the weight of the actual barbell? I've been recording only added weight for all my barbell exercises, and it just occurred to me to ask if I've been recording accurately or not. Is that the appropriate thing to do? I know most large barbells used for military press, bench press, etc found at the gym are about 45 lbs by themselves, do I consider that 45 lbs or just leave it off when recording lifts?

Thanks!
    Consider the 45lbs

2 45's on each side = 225lbs
    Red for giving advice ITT: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=666205301#post666205301

Former misc poster, I gave up my trolling ways and ventured into the real forums. I enjoy helping people out, don't discredit me because a large number of people feel the need to neg me due to a difference of opinion on the EC stack.

I have gyno, and I am not ashamed.

maxometer is on a distinguished road. (+10) maxometer is on a distinguished road. (+10) maxometer is on a distinguished road. (+10) maxometer is on a distinguished road. (+10) maxometer is on a distinguished road. (+10) maxometer is on a distinguished road. (+10) maxometer is on a distinguished road. (+10) maxometer is on a distinguished road. (+10) maxometer is on a distinguished road. (+10) maxometer is on a distinguished road. (+10) maxometer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Woah that's cool....I'm not as weak as I thought I was.

Doesn't explain stupid push-up count though...

FrosteaTT will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrosteaTT will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrosteaTT will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrosteaTT will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrosteaTT will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrosteaTT will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrosteaTT will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrosteaTT will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrosteaTT will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrosteaTT will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrosteaTT will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by thegodjr View Post
    Consider the 45lbs

2 45's on each side = 225lbs
    agree
    --------------------------
    Current Notable Stats: (July 2010)
    275 LBS Flat Bench (6 repz, 5 setz)
    225 LBS Incline (6 repz, 5 setz)
    185 LBS Standing Shoulder Press (6 repz, 5 setz)
    540 LBS Machine Leg Press (8 repz, 5 setz)
    225 LBS Standing Barbell Squat (8 repz, 5 setz)
    135 LBS Calves Raise (8 repz, 5 setz)
    45 LBS Dumbells Lunges (8 repz, 5 setz)
    170 LBS Weighted Abs Crunch (15 repz, 10 setz)
    20 LBS Weighted Captain Chair Leg Raise (15 repz, 10 setz)

Cool!

What about when doing squats on the smith machine, do I count any additional weight on there or just the weight of the added weights. I know some people don't like smith machine but I find I have progressed very well with it. I don't use the safety thinger either, but that's just a technical note. I've been just counting the added weight for that as well, thought I'd might ask about that too since I'm asking anyway.

Jerok88 is just really nice. (+1000) Jerok88 is just really nice. (+1000) Jerok88 is just really nice. (+1000) Jerok88 is just really nice. (+1000) Jerok88 is just really nice. (+1000) Jerok88 is just really nice. (+1000) Jerok88 is just really nice. (+1000) Jerok88 is just really nice. (+1000) Jerok88 is just really nice. (+1000) Jerok88 is just really nice. (+1000) Jerok88 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by maxometer View Post
    Cool!

What about when doing squats on the smith machine, do I count any additional weight on there or just the weight of the added weights. I know some people don't like smith machine but I find I have progressed very well with it. I don't use the safety thinger either, but that's just a technical note. I've been just counting the added weight for that as well, thought I'd might ask about that too since I'm asking anyway.
    Do not do squats on the smith machine. So many reasons not to.

Sir Flexalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sir Flexalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sir Flexalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sir Flexalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sir Flexalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sir Flexalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sir Flexalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sir Flexalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sir Flexalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sir Flexalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sir Flexalot is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Jerok88 View Post
    Do not do squats on the smith machine. So many reasons not to.
    Agreed that free squats are way better than smith. You don't get the freedom of motion and balance-muscle requirements on the smith.

If you must use the smith, the bar typically weighs 15 pounds.

Try getting used to the movement on the smith, then drop the weight a lot and start on free squats. You probably won't want to go back.

Also, realistically. it shouldn't really make a difference to you whether you count the bar or not... your progress will be relative to whatever measurement you're using. Of course, we all compare ourselves to others so it's good to have a common baseline. But in the end, unless you're competing, it's all relative and you just have to try to get stronger compared to where you where last time.

joen270 is a name known to all. (+5000) joen270 is a name known to all. (+5000) joen270 is a name known to all. (+5000) joen270 is a name known to all. (+5000) joen270 is a name known to all. (+5000) joen270 is a name known to all. (+5000) joen270 is a name known to all. (+5000) joen270 is a name known to all. (+5000) joen270 is a name known to all. (+5000) joen270 is a name known to all. (+5000) joen270 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    you usually would. you would record 135 instead of 90
    Some call it obsession, I call it dedication