samsizzle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsizzle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsizzle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsizzle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsizzle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsizzle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsizzle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsizzle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsizzle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsizzle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsizzle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

tretinoin (accutane) was a cancer drug?! (srs) (yes scared) (long)

Hello,

It has been countless years of different washes/antibiotic regimens and my skin is still ****. My back looks like an asteroid field from all the acne scars and my face gets severe nodular acne (the ones under skin that you cant pop) once a month and then scars and fades until it restarts the next month. My derm put me on tretinoin (clavaris) and I have taken about 5 pills and my face is relatively less oily and my fingertips are dry. I didnt research it thinking it wasnt that bad (despite the blood tests and multitude of warnings).

after researching I have found out that:

It was previously marketed as a cancer drug but the side effects were dry skin (cleared acne).

Dr. Werner Bollag first studied the chemical compound, 13-cis retinoic acid at Roche laboratories in Switzerland during the 1960s. Bollag tested the compound as a treatment for skin cancer, and in 1971, discovered the drug’s ability to cure acne[...] When it proved ineffective as a cancer therapy he abandoned the project.
    http://leda.law.harvard.edu/leda/data/472/Green.html

The mechanism of action for tretinoin is 'unknown' today
    today, most people that are scientifically savvy about Accutane know that it decreases cell proliferation (in the bone, skin, gut, mucous membranes, and areas of the brain), which is why it’s used in chemotherapy, but up until now, nobody knows exactly how it does this. All throughout the history of Accutane, Hoffman-La Roche has always used the lame excuse in the Physician’s Desk Reference that “the exact mechanism of action is unknown.”
    "Retinoic acid (active form of Accutane) induces differentiation and reduces proliferation of stem and progenitor cells. It works on acne by inducing similar events in basal sebocytes. These same actions also lead to 13-cis-retinoic's (Accutane’s) side effects, and these are directed towards proliferating cells in the adult such as in the skin, gut and bone."
    Crandall is hinting at Accutane’s mechanism of action but he doesn’t specifically say the actual mechanism because I don’t think he knows about the telomere (pronounced TEE-LA-MEER) research that I have discovered. Recently, I’ve discovered research that shows that all-trans retinoic acid (abbreviated ATRA which is the final biologically active metabolite that Accutane turns into) down-regulates the telomerase enzyme (pronounced TEE-LA-MER-AZE) and induces telomere shortening and cell death. This I believe is the mechanism of action. Accutane causes telomere shortening leading to permanently arrested cell division / proliferation.
    basically hayflick's limit where cells stop dividing. This can mean serious long term implications and scares the living **** out of me.

^^ got all this from here http://www.topix.com/forum/drug/accu...J8DO1TLI41VBPN

all these people's hair is falling out months after the treatment. I already have male pattern baldness, dont want to contribute to this bull**** anymore
    http://www.topix.com/forum/drug/accu...NJRI3R5MO1LSFV

So all this info is out there and the makers still say the 'mechanism is unknown', so I am taking poisonous doses of retinoic acid (vit A derivative) and receiving the side effects of vitamin A toxicity which is breaking down my body...

There is a huge list of side effects, including depression, suicide, joint and bone problems, muscle pains, liver damage etc etc etc

Ive only taken it for 5 days, should I get off of this ****? I searched the misc forums and a lot of people have taken it and seen the results but they do not understand that they are messing with their body on the cellular level which has ruined many lives. Any one on this or taken it previously, can you please tell me your experiences? What did I get myself into :'(

SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My friends brother killed himself while on the stuff, so I will always hate that medication.

While it's uncommon, it still happens. Tons of people use it with no negative side effects but I have heard enough to form an opinion.

Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    While there are alot of smart people here, this is a bodybuilding supplement forum. Maybe you should take your issue to a medical forum (there are many, I think WebMD may have one...many doctors go on and answer questions).

But to add my two cents, I've heard anecdotes in the news about how this drug has red flags, increases suicide risk, etc. With respect to your concern, I think the good news for you is that is was DISCONTINUED/INEFFECTIVE as a cancer drug.

It's not like its mitomycin, cisplatin, doxorubicin, or any similar wicked sh*t.

Maybe call up/go see your doc and bring up your concerns.
    Disclaimer: The above statments represent my own opinion. The above statements do not constitute medical advice.

7percent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 7percent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 7percent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 7percent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 7percent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 7percent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 7percent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 7percent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 7percent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 7percent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 7percent has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Accutane is a god send for acne. I rather take and it and deal with the side effects rather than look horrible with all the acne I used to have.

Accutane works by destroying the oil gland. No oil = no acne.

BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You'd be surprised how many drugs currently on the market today were originally intended for some other purpose.

samsizzle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsizzle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsizzle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsizzle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsizzle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsizzle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsizzle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsizzle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsizzle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsizzle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsizzle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by 7percent View Post
    Accutane is a god send for acne. I rather take and it and deal with the side effects rather than look horrible with all the acne I used to have.

Accutane works by destroying the oil gland. No oil = no acne.
    It destroys all other types of cells too. It isnt only attacking the sebaceous (oil) glads as far as my internet research goes. The long term implications of this scares me...

7percent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 7percent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 7percent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 7percent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 7percent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 7percent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 7percent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 7percent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 7percent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 7percent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 7percent has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by samsizzle View Post
    It destroys all other types of cells too. It isnt only attacking the sebaceous (oil) glads as far as my internet research goes. The long term implications of this scares me...
    Oh noes! Every drug has side effects. If you are too pussy to take it you can enjoy looking like elephant man with gigantic cysts on your face. I took accutane, it made my lower back sore and ****ed my night vision for a while. Oh ya, and my lips were dry as sh-it. Once I stopped taking it everything went away, and my blood was constantly monitored.

Accunate FTW.

mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Stay in the misc, and dont make duplicate threads in other sections.
    Look under your chair. YOU GET A REP, AND YOU GET A REP, REPS FOR EVERYONE! If I get a rep, you get a rep, every time. Give me a link to make my life a little easier.

If you don't give me a link and you didn't post in the thread you rep'd me in, I'm not gonna go searching for you. I'll get everyone on recharge.

FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I took accutane for 6 months straight when I was in 9th grade (6-7 years ago). Got bloods taken every month. They all came back clear, and I have no health problems at all. Best med a doc has ever prescribed me.
    PRs - Sq / B / D / Total
    Gym - 425 / 255 / 463 / -
    Meet - 413 / 248 / 463 / 1124 @ 220
    Meet - 391 / 242 / 468 / 1102 @ 181

Dacookie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dacookie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dacookie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dacookie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dacookie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dacookie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dacookie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dacookie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dacookie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dacookie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dacookie will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by 7percent View Post
    Oh noes! Every drug has side effects. If you are too pussy to take it you can enjoy looking like elephant man with gigantic cysts on your face. I took accutane, it made my lower back sore and ****ed my night vision for a while. Oh ya, and my lips were dry as sh-it. Once I stopped taking it everything went away, and my blood was constantly monitored.

Accunate FTW.
    The affect wears off though?My friend took it like 2 years ago for a year I think and now he has acne again but its not as bad as it once was.
    I support Mixelflick's "The Blueprint"

http://www.bodybuildingsupplements.com/Q-A.html

No more excuses, its time to transform into a god

Brawndo89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brawndo89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brawndo89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brawndo89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brawndo89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brawndo89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brawndo89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brawndo89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brawndo89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brawndo89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brawndo89 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Just so everyone knows Roche took Accutane off the market because it was causing Inflammatory Bowell Syndrom and Chron's Disease...I took it in 9th grade also and dwamn did it work. All my bloodtests were normal...and no signs of intestinal problems here...Too bad it had terrible side effects because it literally took my acne and destroyed it.

Brawndo89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brawndo89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brawndo89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brawndo89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brawndo89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brawndo89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brawndo89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brawndo89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brawndo89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brawndo89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brawndo89 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Dacookie View Post
    The affect wears off though?My friend took it like 2 years ago for a year I think and now he has acne again but its not as bad as it once was.
    There is only a 60% chance that acutane will completely keep acne away for life. I still get a zit here and there, but the difference is night and day...for some ppl after the 6month maximum on the drug, it comes back immediately...or for your friend only sorta after 2 years...

Dacookie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dacookie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dacookie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dacookie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dacookie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dacookie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dacookie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dacookie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dacookie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dacookie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dacookie will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Brawndo89 View Post
    There is only a 60% chance that acutane will completely keep acne away for life. I still get a zit here and there, but the difference is night and day...for some ppl after the 6month maximum on the drug, it comes back immediately...or for your friend only sorta after 2 years...
    Aight cheers man
    I support Mixelflick's "The Blueprint"

http://www.bodybuildingsupplements.com/Q-A.html

No more excuses, its time to transform into a god

do you guys think a 1 month cycle is relatively safe?

FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    When I was on my 6 month dosing of it, they would only refill my monthly prescription if that month's bloods came back clear.

So...yes.
    PRs - Sq / B / D / Total
    Gym - 425 / 255 / 463 / -
    Meet - 413 / 248 / 463 / 1124 @ 220
    Meet - 391 / 242 / 468 / 1102 @ 181

I snort protein powder Phayeser's Avatar
    Phayeser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phayeser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phayeser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phayeser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phayeser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phayeser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phayeser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phayeser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phayeser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phayeser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phayeser is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    went through two rounds of it.
    pretty rough stuff, woke up with nosebleeds every night, pillow being soaked in blood.
    pretty bad depression from it too
    But the **** did work, and thats what it was promised to do.
    Afterall, its not a first line medication. They typically only prescribe it if nothing else works.

Starting Weight: 136 lbs Panabol's Avatar
    Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by BiggJohn View Post
    You'd be surprised how many drugs currently on the market today were originally intended for some other purpose.
    This..

You know the first antibiotic Penicillin was discovered by accident?

@OP Go for it, it's a lot safer nowadays that countless people have used it and more research is available. On it now, 3 months in...only sides are dry lips @ 40mg currently
    Rep Back 2k+ only

mc335e is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc335e is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc335e is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc335e is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc335e is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc335e is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc335e is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc335e is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc335e is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc335e is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc335e is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Honestly dude, if you read stuff about this ont he internet, it's all horror stories. I know 10-15 people personally that are taking this that have had zero issues, myself included.

I'm currently 5 months in and have had ONLY dry lips and some dry skin on my face. I've also still been able to tan while I'm out with my friends and stuff (not a tanning bed, just naturally out at the pool and stuff).

Stick it out dude. It's worth it.
    I'm that guy who gets too in to his music at the gym and starts singing and playing the leg drums without even realizing wtf I'm doing.

Starting Weight: 136 lbs Panabol's Avatar
    Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Will be a waste of time and money. First cycle should be at least 6 months, tapered dosages
    Rep Back 2k+ only

RebelMeetsRebel will become famous soon enough. (+50) RebelMeetsRebel will become famous soon enough. (+50) RebelMeetsRebel will become famous soon enough. (+50) RebelMeetsRebel will become famous soon enough. (+50) RebelMeetsRebel will become famous soon enough. (+50) RebelMeetsRebel will become famous soon enough. (+50) RebelMeetsRebel will become famous soon enough. (+50) RebelMeetsRebel will become famous soon enough. (+50) RebelMeetsRebel will become famous soon enough. (+50) RebelMeetsRebel will become famous soon enough. (+50) RebelMeetsRebel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    was on it back in my freshman year of high school. Blood tests done monthly and closely monitored. 8 years later and all my blood work and yearly physicals keep showing a clean bill of health. I still get zits here and there once in awhile, but nothing really noticeable i.e. very small ones.
    I'm pretty happy that i was on it cuz i see some of my friends who have pretty bad acne scarring from those days. The only sides I experienced was dry lips and skin on the face. I went through a stick of chapstick weekly lol
    Without health life is not life; it is only a state of langour and suffering - an image of death.
    -Buddha

small_azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) small_azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) small_azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) small_azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) small_azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) small_azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) small_azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) small_azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) small_azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) small_azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) small_azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Had moderate to severe acne for like 6+ years. Three months of accutane and now my skin is clear.

Expensive, unhealthy or in somecases life threatening but it works.

Definitely worth the chapped lips, dry skin, and literally seeing pitch black at night in a dark room. Now I know what it felt like to be blind...pretty scary