Closed Thread
    emranhasan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) emranhasan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) emranhasan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) emranhasan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) emranhasan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) emranhasan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) emranhasan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) emranhasan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) emranhasan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) emranhasan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) emranhasan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Does Weight Training in empty stomach help to burn fat or loose muscle?

I'm 30, male, having a body fat of 23%. I used to do weight training 3/4 days a week and cardio another 2/3 days a week. I don't do cardio and weight training in the same day. Just wondering at the day of weight training if I work out at empty stomach, would I get the energy from my stored body fat or I'll loose my muscle?

Please help me by suggesting what should be my diet pattern before and after my strength training workout? My primary goal is to build muscle and reduce body fat below 12%.

breaktheground is on a distinguished road. (+10) breaktheground is on a distinguished road. (+10) breaktheground is on a distinguished road. (+10) breaktheground is on a distinguished road. (+10) breaktheground is on a distinguished road. (+10) breaktheground is on a distinguished road. (+10) breaktheground is on a distinguished road. (+10) breaktheground is on a distinguished road. (+10) breaktheground is on a distinguished road. (+10) breaktheground is on a distinguished road. (+10) breaktheground is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The conditions under which you train don't matter. Especially at over 20% BF, just lift heavy and eat correctly according to the stickies at the top of this subforum. Guaranteed results.

cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by emranhasan View Post
    I'm 30, male, having a body fat of 23%. I used to do weight training 3/4 days a week and cardio another 2/3 days a week. I don't do cardio and weight training in the same day. Just wondering at the day of weight training if I work out at empty stomach, would I get the energy from my stored body fat or I'll loose my muscle?

Please help me by suggesting what should be my diet pattern before and after my strength training workout? My primary goal is to build muscle and reduce body fat below 12%.
    You're sure you're 23% BF at 166 pounds at 5'9? That's a pretty small frame if so. Or is the weight in your profile not accurate?
    Barely decent crew

zbrewha863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zbrewha863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zbrewha863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zbrewha863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zbrewha863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zbrewha863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zbrewha863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zbrewha863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zbrewha863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zbrewha863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zbrewha863 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    There's a lot of controversy on this subject, I looked it up for a few days and there are a lot of people on both sides. The one thing that both sides seem to agree on is that if you do work out on an empty stomach, taking BCAAs before your workout will go a long way to help spare your muscle and focus on fat.

I don't know the science behind it, but I followed that program and it worked well for me. Took 4-6 Uni-liver tabs in the morning, then did 45-60 minutes of interval cardio, came back and ate breakfast. Also was on an EC stack, dropped 2lbs/week and still retained strength overall.
    He teacheth my hands to war, so that a bow of steel is broken by mine arms. - Psalms 18:34

PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    <<This crazy fool has been training fasted for five years

Check out Intermittent Fasting (IF). There's also a nice thread in the Advanced Nutrition section.

May not be for everyone though. If you are going to do it better to try a standardized protocol.
    BRAINS & GAINS

Strong Mind + Strong Body = UNSTOPPABLE

DefiningMoments will become famous soon enough. (+50) DefiningMoments will become famous soon enough. (+50) DefiningMoments will become famous soon enough. (+50) DefiningMoments will become famous soon enough. (+50) DefiningMoments will become famous soon enough. (+50) DefiningMoments will become famous soon enough. (+50) DefiningMoments will become famous soon enough. (+50) DefiningMoments will become famous soon enough. (+50) DefiningMoments will become famous soon enough. (+50) DefiningMoments will become famous soon enough. (+50) DefiningMoments will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by PBateman2 View Post

Check out Intermittent Fasting (IF). There's also a nice thread in the Advanced Nutrition section.

May not be for everyone though. If you are going to do it better to try a standardized protocol.
    you train completely fasted? you don't take BCAA's before training?
    because that's what I've been doing.. training completely fasted w/o BCAA's. I don't know if I should start buying BCAAs now. I've been doing Intermittent Fasting but not by following all the rules/guidelines.
    Starting Weight: 190.4 lbs

| 3/02: 190 lbs | 3/09: 188 lbs | 3/16: 183 lbs | 3/23: 180 lbs | 3/30: 178 lbs | MARCH LOSS: 12lbs
    | 4/06: --- lbs | 4/13: --- lbs | 4/20: --- lbs | 4/27: --- lbs | APRIL LOSS: ??
    | 5/04: --- lbs | 5/11: --- lbs | 5/18: --- lbs | 5/25: --- lbs | MAY LOSS: ??

TOTAL LOSS:

PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by DefiningMoments View Post
    you train completely fasted? you don't take BCAA's before training?
    because that's what I've been doing.. training completely fasted w/o BCAA's. I don't know if I should start buying BCAAs now. I've been doing Intermittent Fasting but not by following all the rules/guidelines.
    Completely fasted. No BCAAs. The key -IMO- is your calorie intake (fine tuning it and being precise with it - I enjoy that) and protein intake has got to be spot on everyday.

I dont follow IF to a tee (in terms of feeding/fasted intervals) and just kind of tweaked my nutrition as I went along. Usually when I train, I have not eaten for a good 12 hours.
    BRAINS & GAINS

LukeRicho has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LukeRicho has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LukeRicho has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LukeRicho has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LukeRicho has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LukeRicho has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LukeRicho has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LukeRicho has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LukeRicho has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LukeRicho has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LukeRicho has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    doing weight training with no food in your system surely must be a waste of time? surely you will be able to lift more with food in your body and make the workout more worthwhile and then watch your calories throughout the day?

Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I guess you could do it either way, but by logic I think its smart to have some food a few hours before you go workout to give you energy. If you are doing just arms it will prob not be a big deal.

Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Completely fasted. No BCAAs. The key -IMO- is your calorie intake (fine tuning it and being precise with it - I enjoy that) and protein intake has got to be spot on everyday.

I dont follow IF to a tee (in terms of feeding/fasted intervals) and just kind of tweaked my nutrition as I went along. Usually when I train, I have not eaten for a good 12 hours.
    Yep, something like this will be okay. I work from home and control my diet 100% so I see how I could work around it also. But most people dont have a food scale or know what they eat or how much they eat, people like that should prob not go fasted.

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd View Post
    Yep, something like this will be okay. I work from home and control my diet 100% so I see how I could work around it also. But most people dont have a food scale or know what they eat or how much they eat, people like that should prob not go fasted.
    Nope.

Never used a food scale in my life nor do I track calories to an absolute tee. Just make sure I hit my protein/healthy fat intake everyday. Requires very little extra effort to do this.

LOL..someone on IF needs to get in on this thread to give a perspective.
    BRAINS & GAINS

jladuke44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jladuke44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jladuke44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jladuke44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jladuke44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jladuke44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jladuke44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jladuke44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jladuke44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jladuke44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by zbrewha863 View Post
    There's a lot of controversy on this subject, I looked it up for a few days and there are a lot of people on both sides. The one thing that both sides seem to agree on is that if you do work out on an empty stomach, taking BCAAs before your workout will go a long way to help spare your muscle and focus on fat.

I don't know the science behind it, but I followed that program and it worked well for me. Took 4-6 Uni-liver tabs in the morning, then did 45-60 minutes of interval cardio, came back and ate breakfast. Also was on an EC stack, dropped 2lbs/week and still retained strength overall.
    I second using BCAAs if you lift on an empty stomach. I've been doing it for about a month and have been going up in most my lifts and lost two inches around my waist (have also been watching my diet closely). Important takeaway for me is that I'm at least not losing muscle. Really only noticed a difference with consuming 4 or 5 servings of xtend pre/during/post workout (which can get expensive) -- can't say that I noticed anything from 1 or 2 servings.

emranhasan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) emranhasan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) emranhasan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) emranhasan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) emranhasan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) emranhasan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) emranhasan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) emranhasan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) emranhasan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) emranhasan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) emranhasan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks guys for your great help. It was really a helpful discussion.

Excellent Journal.. really liked it and will follow it. cheers!

FrosteaTT will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrosteaTT will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrosteaTT will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrosteaTT will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrosteaTT will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrosteaTT will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrosteaTT will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrosteaTT will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrosteaTT will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrosteaTT will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrosteaTT will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by LukeRicho View Post
    doing weight training with no food in your system surely must be a waste of time? surely you will be able to lift more with food in your body and make the workout more worthwhile and then watch your calories throughout the day?

how can you be so sure?? =/

... and surely wat works for you may not work for me, and surely wat works for me may not work for u, this im sure!!!
    --------------------------
    Current Notable Stats: (July 2010)
    275 LBS Flat Bench (6 repz, 5 setz)
    225 LBS Incline (6 repz, 5 setz)
    185 LBS Standing Shoulder Press (6 repz, 5 setz)
    540 LBS Machine Leg Press (8 repz, 5 setz)
    225 LBS Standing Barbell Squat (8 repz, 5 setz)
    135 LBS Calves Raise (8 repz, 5 setz)
    45 LBS Dumbells Lunges (8 repz, 5 setz)
    170 LBS Weighted Abs Crunch (15 repz, 10 setz)
    20 LBS Weighted Captain Chair Leg Raise (15 repz, 10 setz)

Sith Emperor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sith Emperor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sith Emperor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sith Emperor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sith Emperor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sith Emperor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sith Emperor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sith Emperor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sith Emperor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sith Emperor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sith Emperor is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by FrosteaTT View Post
    how can you be so sure?? =/

... and surely wat works for you may not work for me, and surely wat works for me may not work for u, this im sure!!!
    I've seen the best results (gaining/maintaining muscle while losing fat) when I work out first thing in the morning, before any food. That's what I've been doing for the past month now more or less. Don't know the studies behind it but I definitely recommend this as the way to go.

heartsbreaker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heartsbreaker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heartsbreaker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heartsbreaker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heartsbreaker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heartsbreaker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heartsbreaker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Sith Emperor View Post
    I've seen the best results (gaining/maintaining muscle while losing fat) when I work out first thing in the morning, before any food. That's what I've been doing for the past month now more or less. Don't know the studies behind it but I definitely recommend this as the way to go.
    As crazy as it may appears, that what happened to me too ... i was trying every thing and not losing weight but when i began training fast in the morning i lost 3 kg in one week so i will continue doing it and see if it will continue working XD

mihulea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Same here, I used to take BCAA in the morning before workout but now I stopped because every time my stack of BCAA was finished and I forgot to order a new one I had to train a couple of days without them and to my surprise after second or third day I start to get a boost on energy like no other before so no more BCAA.