hp99hp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hp99hp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hp99hp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hp99hp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hp99hp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hp99hp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hp99hp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hp99hp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hp99hp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hp99hp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hp99hp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Newly registered member seeking advice on current diet/workout routine

I just discovered this forum today and wanted to post up what I've recently been doing in hopes to learn/receive new tips on how to improve the approach to my entire routine. What I want to get out of this thread are any suggestions that I can get that will both help me maximize the potential of my routine w/o sacrificing what I want to get out of it. As well as fall within the time restraints that I have on a daily basis dedicated to working out.

General info about me:

Height:5'8"-9" haven't really measured in a long time
    Weight: 156.6 early morning weight 159-161 late afternoon weight

Current diet: I've eliminated any fast foods or foods that I feel are greasy and unhealthy during the day (despite the temptations). 1-2 diet cokes during the day or coffee. 1-2 protein bars/day to satisfy hunger. Protein smoothie of some sort from the local smoothie shop for lunch. Sensible dinner: slow cooked chicken, tofu, veggies of some sort. Little to no rice/pasta/breads.

Up until this point I have primarily been your average lifter, mainly in the gym to stay in shape and relieve stress. But I've recently decided that as much time I spend here why not try and get the most out of it. (ie: cardio and diet) Why put in so much time at the gym if you are only "doing half" of what is needed to be in shape. Sooo here I am =)

Without making this post any longer than it already is, let me jump into my workout routine. In general I currently am focusing on one group/day including abs as well as a 15-20 min carido session with the exception of Legs day where I take a day off from cardio.

Before I started back into cardio my workouts lasted approx 1 hour which was ideal for me. With working 6 days a week and wanting to spend as much time as possible with my lil boy, I can only afford 1.5 hours for my workout daily, which I think is plenty of time to get' er done. At this point, everything is 3 sets x 8 reps.

Routine goes as follows:

Day 1: Legs

Barbell Squats: (Ass to the ground) I've been that guy that had improper form (not going down enough) with too much weight for too long, so I'm starting from scratch with better form and at this point light weight
    Leg extensions/Calf raises superset: 3x8 extensions 3x12 calves
    Ham Curls: 3x8

Day 2: Back

Dead lifts: 4x8 1st set warmup at 135
    Close Grip pull ups: 3x8
    Horizontal Row: 3x8 (single arm at a time)
    Overhead pull down: 3x8
    Cable Horizontal Row: 3x8

Day 3: Chest

Barbell Incline BP: 3x8 (165,175,185)
    Flat BP: 2x8 1x3-5 (185,205,225)
    Decline 3x8 (185,195,205)
    Flys: 3x8
    Laying Dumbell Pullovers: 3x8 (90-95lb dumbell)

Day 4: Shoulders

Barbell shoulder press: 3x8 (95,115,135) Just recently got back into this.
    OR
    Dumbell shoulder press: 3x8 (60,65,70)
    Vertical barbell raises: 3x8 (95-100)
    Reverse flys: 3x8
    Horiz. Rope pulls: 3x8
    Shrugs: 3x8
    Lateral/Forward Raises superset: 3x8 each 20/25

Day 5: Arms

Curled Bar standing curls/Laying Skull Crushers: 3x8 each (80,85,90)
    Single arm Hammer curls/Single arm overhead tri ext. 3x8 each (35/50)
    21's/Dips 3x8 (55 lb curled bar/20 reps)
    Cable arm curls 3x8
    Rope pull down or overhead rope extensions 3x8
    I don't know what to call this machine but its a bicep curl where you can place the plates on 3 different sections to focus on different parts of the contraction. 5x8
    Machine Tri Ext: 5x8

Abs:

Hanging Straight leg raises: 3x20
    Steep decline bench: 3x15 w/ 25 plate
    Horizontal planks w/ forearms on the balance ball: 3 sets/25-30sec
    Side raises: 3x15 using 45lb plate.
    3-6 sets of misc ab exercises. I try to change it up to keep it fresh.

Cardio:

Currently 15-20 min hitting about 2 miles in about 18.5 min to start. My goal here is to run hard for a short period of time. I want to run a sub 16 min 2 mile run.

Now I've been browsing the forums all day today at work and here are some of the things that I've read and think I should consider.
    -I want to make sure I hit all the core exercises so I think I need to swap a couple back exercises with a bentover/tbar row and pullups
    -I have been trying to do no more than 1.5 min rest in between sets. Now obviously this is easier said than done.
    -I also read about the rep cycle and I will be starting this as of tomorrow. I will shoot for a 3 wk instead of a 5 wk cycle of 3x8, 3x8, 3x10 before going up. My biggest problem is that I no longer have a workout partner and I'm not the one to hit people up randomly for a spot so that will make things a little more difficult.

That's all I have for now. Again I thank you all in advance for taking the time to read this and appreciate any help/suggestions/comments.

To summarize: These are the things I think I'd like to get help in:

-I'd like to find ways to find more effective exercises, increase effectiveness of the workout in a shorter period of time.

hp99hp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hp99hp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hp99hp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hp99hp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hp99hp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hp99hp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hp99hp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hp99hp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hp99hp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hp99hp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hp99hp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    anyone? would love to hear some feedback of what I might be doing wrong/right?

Vtso4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What are your goals? Do you just want to maintain? Build more muscle? Gain strength? Lose body fat?

Originally Posted by Vtso4 View Post
    What are your goals? Do you just want to maintain? Build more muscle? Gain strength? Lose body fat?
    definitely gain strength, I don't need fast gains in that department. A nice slow steady improvement would be nice.

Losing body fat for sure. I've changed my diet completely. No more fast foods, grease, etc. Protein smoothie for lunch maybe a protein bar or two during the day to kill any hunger. Then a sensible dinner. Usually baked or slow cooked chicken of some sort with some veggies. I decreased my soda and juice intake and I'm currently doing 15-20 min cardio 5-6 days a week post lifting.

I would like to build more muscle since I'm not a very tall or big guy but I don't want to be a stalky "meathead" so to speak. I want to be proportional in size.

davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I think a 5 day split is a big mistake at your current level. Why don't you do a 3 day a week full body routine, like 5x5?

ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by hp99hp View Post
    definitely gain strength, I don't need fast gains in that department. A nice slow steady improvement would be nice.

Losing body fat for sure. I've changed my diet completely. No more fast foods, grease, etc. Protein smoothie for lunch maybe a protein bar or two during the day to kill any hunger. Then a sensible dinner. Usually baked or slow cooked chicken of some sort with some veggies. I decreased my soda and juice intake and I'm currently doing 15-20 min cardio 5-6 days a week post lifting.

I would like to build more muscle since I'm not a very tall or big guy but I don't want to be a stalky "meathead" so to speak. I want to be proportional in size.
    Getting stronger, building more muscle, and losing body fat all at the same time is a tough task to say the least. In order to get strong and build a bit of size you are going to have to add more protein/carbs to your very small diet. Protein bars generally have something along the lines of 25-30g of protein, give or take a few. I would imagine a smoothie would be in the same range. That plus your chicken for dinner is probably keeping you under the amount of required protein you would need to gain strength and muscle. 25x3 + 40 or 50 is probably putting you around 125g a day? 180-200g at your size would be better. You will also need more carbs to fuel your very very heavy workout schedule which is probably too much. Kinda have things backwards. More fuel for your body, less of a workout.

Cardio 5 or 6 times a week isn't recommended when trying to gain size as well. 2, maybe 3 times should be sufficient to keep fat gains to a minimum (a little fat should be expected).

It is hard to do both since gaining size requires a caloric surplus while shedding fat requires you to cut back on those calories. I'm sure most are going to suggest getting to the size you want by adding to your diet and then shedding the fat when you are happy with your strength, size gains.
    Last edited by ko300zx; 07-15-2010 at 10:48 AM.

Originally Posted by davidolson22 View Post
    I think a 5 day split is a big mistake at your current level. Why don't you do a 3 day a week full body routine, like 5x5?
    Could you elaborate on how its a big mistake? Is it holding me back?

Originally Posted by ko300zx View Post
    Getting stronger, building more muscle, and losing body fat all at the same time is a tough task to say the least. In order to get strong and build a bit of size you are going to have to add more protein/carbs to your very small diet. Protein bars generally have something along the lines of 25-30g of protein, give or take a few. I would imagine a smoothie would be in the same range. That plus your chicken for dinner is probably keeping you under the amount of required protein you would need to gain strength and muscle. 25x3 + 40 or 50 is probably putting you around 125g a day? 180-200g at your size would be better. You will also need more carbs to fuel your very very heavy workout schedule which is probably too much. Kinda have things backwards. More fuel for your body, less of a workout.

Cardio 5 or 6 times a week isn't recommended when trying to gain size as well. 2, maybe 3 times should be sufficient to keep fat gains to a minimum (a little fat should be expected).

It is hard to do both since gaining size requires a caloric surplus while shedding fat requires you to cut back on those calories. I'm sure most are going to suggest getting to the size you want by adding to your diet and then shedding the fat when you are happy with your strength, size gains.
    Okay sorry I got ahead of myself on my last post and mislead you all a bit. Right now I'm morso trying to lose body fat. I guess how I described what I've been doing with the diet and cardio I'm more in a cutting phase right now. My priority right now is to achieve my "beach body" so the more defined and cut is what I'm trying to do.

Protein is a big thing for me and I totally agree with you on needing more. I've just been a lazy ass in getting to the store to pick up some supplements. I will be picking some up this week for sure and getting on that as well.

I eat a 30g and a 20g protein bar and I'm drinking a 40oz protein smoothie with what they tell me has about 65g of protein in it. My dinner last night I ate 3/4 of a small rotisserie size chicken with green beans. I have no idea about how much protein is in that. Or if I eat skinless chicken breasts/thighs its usually most of a 1.8lb package.

Originally Posted by ko300zx View Post
    Getting stronger, building more muscle, and losing body fat all at the same time is a tough task to say the least. In order to get strong and build a bit of size you are going to have to add more protein/carbs to your very small diet. Protein bars generally have something along the lines of 25-30g of protein, give or take a few. I would imagine a smoothie would be in the same range. That plus your chicken for dinner is probably keeping you under the amount of required protein you would need to gain strength and muscle. 25x3 + 40 or 50 is probably putting you around 125g a day? 180-200g at your size would be better.

Cardio 5 or 6 times a week isn't recommended when trying to gain size as well. 2, maybe 3 times should be sufficient to keep fat gains to a minimum.

Couldn't have said it better. I'm about the same height and weight. You need a better diet, there's no question there. I think you need to get away from those protein bars and diet cokes and get your carbs/proteins/fats from whole foods.

Complex Carbs: Oats, whole grain pasta, whole grains wheat, brown rice
    Protein: Skinless chicken breast, Tuna, Egg whites/whole egg, turkey, lean beef
    Fats: Almonds, peanut butter, peanuts, extra virgin olive oil.

You need to bulk up until you're satisfied with your size. Then when you want to get more defined an lean, you'll cut and shed the fat. Keep cardio down to a minimum. 15-20 minutes twice a week on your rest days. You should try a 3 or 4 day split.

Try looking at Derek Charbois' 12 week program.

mjf200 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjf200 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjf200 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjf200 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjf200 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjf200 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjf200 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjf200 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjf200 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjf200 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjf200 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    if you want to get bigger,ie larger muscles, you'll need to eat more. Don't worry about becoming "too big". Becoming big and muscular doesn't happen by accident. You won't one day wake up and be a big bodybuilder type that has to walk through the door sideways.

Couldn't have said it better. I'm about the same height and weight. You need a better diet, there's no question there. I think you need to get away from those protein bars and diet cokes and get your carbs/proteins/fats from whole foods.

Complex Carbs: Oats, whole grain pasta, whole grains wheat, brown rice
    Protein: Skinless chicken breast, Tuna, Egg whites/whole egg, turkey, lean beef
    Fats: Almonds, peanut butter, peanuts, extra virgin olive oil.

You need to bulk up until you're satisfied with your size. Then when you want to get more defined an lean, you'll cut and shed the fat. Keep cardio down to a minimum. 15-20 minutes twice a week on your rest days. You should try a 3 or 4 day split.

Try looking at Derek Charbois' 12 week program.
    Originally Posted by mjf200 View Post
    if you want to get bigger,ie larger muscles, you'll need to eat more. Don't worry about becoming "too big". Becoming big and muscular doesn't happen by accident. You won't one day wake up and be a big bodybuilder type that has to walk through the door sideways.
    I definitely will look into that program thanks!

Yeah I was wrong to say I wanted to get bigger. I'm wanting to cut up and lose fat. I'm fairly satisfied with my size. Yes getting bigger would be nice, but at this point I want to see how cut I can be. I have NEVER had a visible 6 pack. I think some of it is genetics, but a lot of it has been the lack of discipline in my diet/cardio. I haven't had a belly either, just that pesky layer of fat over the abs haha.

The foods listed above I do eat a lot of. I was eating brown rice or wheat pastas with my meals but but those out b/c I'm trying to cut up at this point in time. I also am eating a lot of egg whites and chicken. I will add some almonds and pb into the mix as well in moderation.

Thanks again everyone for all the advice and tips so far! This is really helping get an understanding of what I want and how I can get it.

As for the 5x5 I checked a couple of those links out and it seems like there are a few different 5x5's which one would you guys recommend as your favorite/best one?

If you want your "beach body" then you need to CUT and forget what everyone had previously said in this post, including me. You should still be eating whole foods like I said but instead of a surplus of calories, you need a deficit in calories. You need a good balance of Cardio and Weight training. Cardio for losing that body fat and Weight training to keep the muscle you have. Start drinking a lot of water (at least 2 liters a day) and eat 6 small meals a day. Eating every 2-3 hours so your stomach isn't hungry and start eating your muscles. This will kick start your metabolism and help you burn that body fat. With 40% of complex carbs, 40% protein 20% fat ratio in every meal, doesn't have to be exact. Eating those foods isn't going to make you gain weight. Your body needs good clean food. You should cut your calories down to 1600-1700. Make sure you're getting 8 hours of sleep a day. Your diet is essential if you want results.

Training should look something like this.

Monday: Weight training
    Tues: Cardio & abs
    Wed. Rest day
    Thur: Cardio & abs
    Fri: Weight training
    Saturday: Cardio & abs
    Sun: Rest day

and repeat. I'll leave the specifics up to you and others to chime in.

If you want your "beach body" then you need to CUT and forget what everyone had previously said in this post, including me. You should still be eating whole foods like I said but instead of a surplus of calories, you need a deficit in calories. You need a good balance of Cardio and Weight training. Cardio for losing that body fat and Weight training to keep the muscle you have. Start drinking a lot of water (at least 2 liters a day) and eat 6 small meals a day. Eating every 2-3 hours so your stomach isn't hungry and start eating your muscles. This will kick start your metabolism and help you burn that body fat. With 40% of complex carbs, 40% protein 20% fat ratio in every meal, doesn't have to be exact. Eating those foods isn't going to make you gain weight. Your body needs good clean food. You should cut your calories down to 1600-1700. Make sure you're getting 8 hours of sleep a day. Your diet is essential if you want results.

Training should look something like this.

Monday: Weight training
    Tues: Cardio & abs
    Wed. Rest day
    Thur: Cardio & abs
    Fri: Weight training
    Saturday: Cardio & abs
    Sun: Rest day

and repeat. I'll leave the specifics up to you and others to chime in.
    So from my current workout I posted would you say I'm overtraining then?

As for the meals it is honestly going to be VERY difficult for me to eat the 6 small meals a day. The most I'm able to do is snack on a protein bar or whatnot like I've been doing. I'll try and change that and see if I can come up with a rotation of these small meals to bring with me during the work day. Do you have any examples of these meals I can go by? I need something that I don't have to heat up or won't spoil during the day b/c of my work situation.

As for 8 hours of sleep I WISH I could do that everyday but unfortunately for me that's not going to happen. With a little baby in the house and my work schedule it makes it hard for that to happen. I'm at the office by 9AM but my kiddo wakes us up around 7. I don't get to bed around 12-1AM Working 6 days a week. Last night I got about 6 hours and the night before I got about 5 b/c on Wednesdays I have to be at work by 6:30 AM =( hahaha

Yea, you're over training. Weight training should be done 2-3 times a week and you should up your cardio to about 30 minutes.

Typical day:
    Breakfast
    1 cup Oats (Dry unprepared) mixed with 1 TBSP of nat pb
    4 egg whites
    bottle of water

2-3 hours later
    Morning snack
    Medium Apple
    Hand full of peanuts or almonds
    Bottle of water

2-3 hours later
    Lunch: 4 oz of Turkey with 2 slices whole wheat bread w/ mustard and lettuce
    Bottle of water

2-3 hours later
    Afternoon snack: 1/2 Cup of cottage cheese
    1 can Tuna salad w/ 1 whole romaine lettuce head
    Bottle of water

2-3 hours later
    Dinner
    6 oz Skinless chicken breast grilled
    2 tbsp bbq sauce
    1/2 cup brown rice (dry unprepared)
    bottle of water

If you ever get hungry late at night I'll usually make myself some an egg white omlette with hot sauce. not much calories. tons of protein.

Totals:
    1622 calories with some wiggle room
    49 gms of Fat
    161 gms of Carbs
    152 gms of Protein
    34 gms of Fiber

38% Carbs/36% Protein/24% Fat (Like I said it doesn't have to be perfect.)

Good thing about it is, you don't go hungry. You never want to eat to the point of feeling full. The worse thing you can do is not eat something cause then your metabolism will have to restart and get slower, meaning it will be easier to put on body fat. Keep the metabolism up and your body fed. As for your sleep, there's no substitution for it, simple as that. Find out a way to get it. Protein bars are fine if there is absolutely nothing else, but you shouldn't rely/live off of them. Save your money and buy whole, clean food. I give you credit for getting rid of all the dirty foods. Your work ethic is there, you just need a clean diet and sleep.

Yea, you're over training. Weight training should be done 2-3 times a week and you should up your cardio to about 30 minutes.

Typical day:
    Breakfast
    1 cup Oats (Dry unprepared) mixed with 1 TBSP of nat pb
    4 egg whites
    bottle of water

2-3 hours later
    Morning snack
    Medium Apple
    Hand full of peanuts or almonds
    Bottle of water

2-3 hours later
    Lunch: 4 oz of Turkey with 2 slices whole wheat bread w/ mustard and lettuce
    Bottle of water

2-3 hours later
    Afternoon snack: 1/2 Cup of cottage cheese
    1 can Tuna salad w/ 1 whole romaine lettuce head
    Bottle of water

2-3 hours later
    Dinner
    6 oz Skinless chicken breast grilled
    2 tbsp bbq sauce
    1/2 cup brown rice (dry unprepared)
    bottle of water

If you ever get hungry late at night I'll usually make myself some an egg white omlette with hot sauce. not much calories. tons of protein.

Totals:
    1622 calories with some wiggle room
    49 gms of Fat
    161 gms of Carbs
    152 gms of Protein
    34 gms of Fiber

38% Carbs/36% Protein/24% Fat (Like I said it doesn't have to be perfect.)

Good thing about it is, you don't go hungry. You never want to eat to the point of feeling full. The worse thing you can do is not eat something cause then your metabolism will have to restart and get slower, meaning it will be easier to put on body fat. Keep the metabolism up and your body fed. As for your sleep, there's no substitution for it, simple as that. Find out a way to get it. Protein bars are fine if there is absolutely nothing else, but you shouldn't rely/live off of them. Save your money and buy whole, clean food. I give you credit for getting rid of all the dirty foods. Your work ethic is there, you just need a clean diet and sleep.
    I think I can try that diet. It seems very doable. I'll do a grocery store run this weekend and pick up that stuff and then just prep all the meals for the week ahead of time. I'll try and get a couple pictures taken of how I look now and maybe get some feedback as to what direction I should go.

mjf200 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjf200 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjf200 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjf200 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjf200 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjf200 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjf200 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjf200 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjf200 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjf200 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjf200 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by hp99hp View Post
    I think I can try that diet. It seems very doable. I'll do a grocery store run this weekend and pick up that stuff and then just prep all the meals for the week ahead of time. I'll try and get a couple pictures taken of how I look now and maybe get some feedback as to what direction I should go.
    good luck. I'd be interested in seeing your results as we seem to be about the same age/size/strength.

Originally Posted by mjf200 View Post
    good luck. I'd be interested in seeing your results as we seem to be about the same age/size/strength.
    yeah most definitely will need it haha. I'm missing eating chicken wings and chips already =(

Seems like we're all the same height and weight now. Check out my bodyspace. 170lbs > 161lbs. Good luck. Keep us updated
    Last edited by Vtso4; 07-15-2010 at 03:02 PM.

Seems like we're all the same height and weight now. Check out my bodyspace. 170lbs > 161lbs. Good luck. Keep us updated
    Just took some pictures after dinner tonight and put them up...I guess I shoulda posted pictures before I ate hahaha. Anyways check them out on my bodyspace so you can get an idea of where im at.

hit a wall with this overtraining, Funny how I took a day off yesterday and I feel worse than if I didn't. Gotta love how that works. I'm probably going to hit shoulders and light cardio and perhaps take Sunday off as well.