Page 2 of 309 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast
    moosecakes4all is a name known to all. (+5000) moosecakes4all is a name known to all. (+5000) moosecakes4all is a name known to all. (+5000) moosecakes4all is a name known to all. (+5000) moosecakes4all is a name known to all. (+5000) moosecakes4all is a name known to all. (+5000) moosecakes4all is a name known to all. (+5000) moosecakes4all is a name known to all. (+5000) moosecakes4all is a name known to all. (+5000) moosecakes4all is a name known to all. (+5000) moosecakes4all is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Ill be posting alot more in here in the next three weeks Im sure, once I start Calc. 2. Can't wait for it.

Any of you math brahs looked into Physical Chemistry? Its intense.
    I ALWAYS rep back, just leave a link to one of your posts in the rep comment.

Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by gatovolador View Post
    Math undergrad, focused a lot on stochastic models and computer engineering. Wrote compilers for a few years and am now getting a masters doing computational linguistics (more probabilistic models).
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu stoch mods brings back bad memories.

Had a stoch mod course 2 years ago. Lecturer was diabolical. Just strolled into class and started writing up matrices and recurrence relations. No headings or examples so no one had any idea what we were doing.

Gave us 12 tutorial questions all year (as a comparison, the next smallest amount by a class was 52, Algebra gave out 16-20 practice/tutorial questions per week). Told us past papers would be nothing like exam (which they weren't), didn't give us practice papers etc...

Exam came. All questions were on stuff we grazed over briefly and had no practice on (anyone who has done maths knows doing 100s of Qs is the way to learn stuff...)
    As a result, over half the class got less than 40%. Myself included, however they had to give a lot of us credits since everything was scaled down so much.

A lot of the concepts seemed pretty interesting though! Markov chains and the like, just that class dampened my potential enjoyment of it.

Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by moosecakes4all View Post
    Ill be posting alot more in here in the next three weeks Im sure, once I start Calc. 2. Can't wait for it.

Any of you math brahs looked into Physical Chemistry? Its intense.
    I was a chem major... physical chemistry doesn't use math that is very complicated. It's intense because there are a ton of different formulas to know (for basic classes) and as you go up in it you start incorporating a lot of quantum mechanics. In terms of the actual math used, though, it's not that complex; just a lot of different things.

Ceembealt is just really nice. (+1000) Ceembealt is just really nice. (+1000) Ceembealt is just really nice. (+1000) Ceembealt is just really nice. (+1000) Ceembealt is just really nice. (+1000) Ceembealt is just really nice. (+1000) Ceembealt is just really nice. (+1000) Ceembealt is just really nice. (+1000) Ceembealt is just really nice. (+1000) Ceembealt is just really nice. (+1000) Ceembealt is just really nice. (+1000)
    Can't wait to go back to uni guys! Having to retake my second year as I was a lazy jackass the entire year
    I have had trouble with learning techniques so far, I've tried the whole writing everything down off the board and It doesn't seem to work as I can't guarantee I'll make it to all the lectures my notes are a bit hit and miss. Most of my lecturers put their notes up on the site anyway, so I was thinking about just using those for revision anyway and actually just listening in lectures instead. Anyone tried this?
    United as one, Divided by zero
    ☆☆☆υк ¢яєω☆☆☆
    1K+

אz - Giga Dorrill Breakah Alephz's Avatar
    Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Sylosis View Post
    Can't wait to go back to uni guys! Having to retake my second year as I was a lazy jackass the entire year
    I have had trouble with learning techniques so far, I've tried the whole writing everything down off the board and It doesn't seem to work as I can't guarantee I'll make it to all the lectures my notes are a bit hit and miss. Most of my lecturers put their notes up on the site anyway, so I was thinking about just using those for revision anyway and actually just listening in lectures instead. Anyone tried this?
    Do NOT miss lectures.

Attendance is by far the most important part of studying at college / university (with homework completion being a close second).

A study by my Physics department shows that attendance and exam performance share a linear relationship (ie, the more you attend, the better you do on the course). So statistically, simply turning up to your lectures is going to guarantee you will succeed. Obviously it's not that simple but you cannot argue with statistics on the general level.

Do not miss lectures, do your homework, if you don't understand something, ask the lecturuer and you will pass this year.
    If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always got

turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Alephz View Post
    Do NOT miss lectures.

Attendance is by far the most important part of studying at college / university (with homework completion being a close second).

A study by my Physics department shows that attendance and exam performance share a linear relationship (ie, the more you attend, the better you do on the course). So statistically, simply turning up to your lectures is going to guarantee you will succeed. Obviously it's not that simple but you cannot argue with statistics on the general level.

Do not miss lectures, do your homework, if you don't understand something, ask the lecturuer and you will pass this year.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by turkey_server View Post
    Correlation does not imply causation.
    I think it's fair to say, in the context of this topic; it does.

Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Do NOT miss lectures.

I honestly believe lectures are quite useless.

The stuff is put down to fast to understand unless you get a really great lecturer who takes time to explain things. I'd say you get maybe one of those a year.

All of my notes were online an hour after the lecture. Be it typed or scanned they were the same as the notes in the lectures (I went to all my lectures btw).

I have never learned anything in a lecturer but I'll tell you where I did learn something which you touched on at the end of your post.

Going to see a lecturer (as long as he/she isn't really old and grumpy) directly is the best thing you can do. I can read all the books I want and do all the questions I want but sometimes just having someone who has a mastery of the subject explain it to you in a certain way will make things click.

I agree with doing homework and tutorials though. Keeping up with material is a big help come exam time. I also think you should attend every lecture despite my earlier comments since it gets you up early, gets you in a good learning state of mind and occasionally there is some good comments that you should hear. However the whole lecture system needs to be changed somehow to make it more tutorial like. Perhaps notes given out a week before, students can go over them then in lectures results will be explained in actual detail rather than just stated.

I think it's fair to say, in the context of this topic; it does.
    Just something I'd like to add.

I think there is the attend-pass stat not because of what benefits the lecture brings, but rather the attitude of the student.

If someone can't be arsed to attend any lectures there's a high chance they won't be bothered to keep up with course work or do tutorials. Someone who gets up every morning to sit through every lecture is probably gonna be more motivated to learn the material. It's not really a lot to do with the lectures IMO, just the act of getting up and going is enough.

Originally Posted by Muckle_Ewe View Post
    Just something I'd like to add.

I think there is the attend-pass stat not because of what benefits the lecture brings, but rather the attitude of the student.

If someone can't be arsed to attend any lectures there's a high chance they won't be bothered to keep up with course work or do tutorials. Someone who gets up every morning to sit through every lecture is probably gonna be more motivated to learn the material. It's not really a lot to do with the lectures IMO, just the act of getting up and going is enough.
    That's exactly it. What is inductive of attending all lectures is the attitude a student gains from doing so. It's obvious that simply attending all lectures will not effect your grade but the positive attitude and enthusiasm granted from doing so is where the gains lie.

It is because of this that high attendance impacts a grade. The chair doesn't do the work, but being in the presence of other academics, discussing the material, seeing the examples etc - all things which are only received through attendance are what help a student's grade.

As such, high attendance -> high grade

This is my theory on how it works anyway.

▶⛅💩🔗   🔊📶 99%🔌🔋3:14 MiscMathematician's Avatar
    MiscMathematician has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MiscMathematician has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MiscMathematician has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MiscMathematician has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MiscMathematician has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MiscMathematician has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MiscMathematician has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MiscMathematician has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MiscMathematician has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MiscMathematician has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MiscMathematician has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Thanks bro, had no idea this addon existed. Been using 3rd part websites to make TeX code for forums. Repps.

Also, in on this thread

edit: I'm studying pure mathematics in the area of cryptography and general algebraic structures. I haven't yet decided which of these two paths to jump on.
    ** Official Math Thread http://goo.gl/VpMlfQ **

Originally Posted by MiscMathematician View Post
    Thanks bro, had no idea this addon existed. Been using 3rd part websites to make TeX code for forums. Repps.

Also, in on this thread

edit: I'm studying pure mathematics in the area of cryptography and general algebraic structures. I haven't yet decided which of these two paths to jump on.
    Cryptography = number theory yeah? Algebra scares the hell out of me but I think number theory is pretty cool. Spent a while last summer looking for prime generating formulas, didn't have much success lol.

Also, dunno if it was just a one of but the idea behind the add on was to just put the code into the post and others could copy and paste it into the app to see what you were trying to show.

\frac{1}{\pi}\int_0^{\pi} e^{x \cos(t)}\cos(nt)dt \sim \frac{e^x}{\sqrt{2\pi x}}\sum_{m=0}^{\infty} \Big(-\frac{1}{2x} \Big)^m \frac{\Gamma(n + \frac{1}{2} + m)}{m! \Gamma(n + \frac{1}{2} - m)} as n goes to infinity...

MiscMathematician has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MiscMathematician has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MiscMathematician has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MiscMathematician has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MiscMathematician has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MiscMathematician has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MiscMathematician has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MiscMathematician has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MiscMathematician has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MiscMathematician has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MiscMathematician has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Muckle_Ewe View Post
    Cryptography = number theory yeah? Algebra scares the hell out of me but I think number theory is pretty cool. Spent a while last summer looking for prime generating formulas, didn't have much success lol.

Also, dunno if it was just a one of but the idea behind the add on was to just put the code into the post and others could copy and paste it into the app to see what you were trying to show.

\frac{1}{\pi}\int_0^{\pi} e^{x \cos(t)}\cos(nt)dt \sim \frac{e^x}{\sqrt{2\pi x}}\sum_{m=0}^{\infty} \Big(-\frac{1}{2x} \Big)^m \frac{\Gamma(n + \frac{1}{2} + m)}{m! \Gamma(n + \frac{1}{2} - m)} as n goes to infinity...
    Gotcha, I tutor online and some places don't have tex, so just clicking the imageshack link is a great help from the addon. Plus composing emails with complicated stuff is easier now .

Cryptography encompasses a lot of number theory yes. So that is a subset of what I'm studying. To give an easy example, the popular RSA cipher uses big primes (> 10^200), and since we have no way of computing them, several techniques from number theory are used to test if numbers are "likely" to be prime fairly efficiently. This goes both ways, as one wants to crack the RSA algorithm by factoring a large (>10^400) number (typically a product of just two primes), and this is a "hard" problem where millions in research go toward.

Edit: I have a question for you European brahs. One of the people I work with is from Eastern Europe, says she did advanced algebra in high school and says its typical. Is this true? Did you study algebraic structures in HS? Categories, Functors, Morphisms, Spaces etc?
    Last edited by MiscMathematician; 08-21-2010 at 07:04 PM.

Gotcha, I tutor online and some places don't have tex, so just clicking the imageshack link is a great help from the addon. Plus composing emails with complicated stuff is easier now .

Cryptography encompasses a lot of number theory yes. So that is a subset of what I'm studying. To give an easy example, the popular RSA cipher uses big primes (> 10^200), and since we have no way of computing them, several techniques from number theory are used to test if numbers are "likely" to be prime fairly efficiently. This goes both ways, as one wants to crack the RSA algorithm by factoring a large (>10^400) number (typically a product of just two primes), and this is a "hard" problem where millions in research go toward.

Oh lawd I didn't even notice that! I was just gonna copy raw code like in my post above and have folk paste it into the app to see what maths others were wanting to show. Imageshack is a hell of a better idea.

as n goes to infinity

Errorist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Errorist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Errorist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Errorist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Errorist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Errorist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Errorist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Errorist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Errorist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Errorist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Errorist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post
    I was a chem major... physical chemistry doesn't use math that is very complicated. It's intense because there are a ton of different formulas to know (for basic classes) and as you go up in it you start incorporating a lot of quantum mechanics. In terms of the actual math used, though, it's not that complex; just a lot of different things.
    I was told I should take physical chem right after calc 1. I was planning on taking engineering physics 1 and 2 before I took physical chem though. You think I'll still do fine? I'm pretty sure engineering physics is calculus based.
    "Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, for they will become your character. Develop your character, for it becomes your destiny."

turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Edit: I have a question for you European brahs. One of the people I work with is from Eastern Europe, says she did advanced algebra in high school and says its typical. Is this true? Did you study algebraic structures in HS? Categories, Functors, Morphisms, Spaces etc?
    All the East Europeans I've known (who went to a 'science' HS) had already seen a lot of abstract algebra under the context of categories. Although functors I doubt, as they're not really needed--the universal property of certain constructs in a given category is all you need to carry along.

All the East Europeans I've known (who went to a 'science' HS) had already seen a lot of abstract algebra under the context of categories. Although functors I doubt, as they're not really needed--the universal property of certain constructs in a given category is all you need to carry along.
    Ah ok. On the latter comment, I agree for studying within a specific "normal" category such as that of groups, but sets of categories also form a category with functors as their morphisms. Or are you saying that HS's never went as far?

This person was using Lang's Algebra. Something that I'm still struggling though.

Registered User Doppelganger462's Avatar
    Doppelganger462 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doppelganger462 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doppelganger462 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doppelganger462 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doppelganger462 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doppelganger462 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doppelganger462 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doppelganger462 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doppelganger462 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doppelganger462 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doppelganger462 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Anyone here studying/interested in statistics? I'm a 5th year math major with emphasis in statistics. Looking to enter a biostatistics or applied statistics graduate program next year.

Also is anyone here studying for the GRE? I'm taking in next week on the 26th. Anyways, I was looking through one of the math sections (which are a joke btw) in a prep book I picked up, and stumbled across this problem:

edit: ****ty pic, top equation is a-b=-2a and the columns are just a and b

I seem to have a conflicting answer with the book. I said the 4th choice, the book said the 2nd. Pretty sure the book is wrong.

Originally Posted by Doppelganger462 View Post

I seem to have a conflicting answer with the book. I said the 4th choice, the book said the 2nd. Pretty sure the book is wrong.
    a-b=-2a so that 3a=b.

Which means if a,b >= 0, then b>=a.

If a and b are not quantified, then your choice is correct.

Ah ok. On the latter comment, I agree for studying within a specific "normal" category such as that of groups, but sets of categories also form a category with functors as their morphisms. Or are you saying that HS's never went as far?

This person was using Lang's Algebra. Something that I'm still struggling though.
    I was just saying I doubt they covered functors; there's really no need for that level of depth.

Movjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Movjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Movjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Movjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Movjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Movjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Movjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Movjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Movjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Movjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Movjam will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Not gonna lie I love maths, about to go into my second year of A-levels (year 13). How difficult is maths over in the states at a pre-uni level? (A-levels are the two years before university). I'm doing an A-level in further maths which is the most sophisticated pure maths taught at A-levels, currently studying:

Hyperbolic functions and calculus revolving around them, reduction formulae and using integration to find arcs of curves and area of a surface of revolution prop up there.

Some stuff on co-ordinate systems which seems straight-forward enough. Also using vectors to find volumes of paralellepiped and tetrahedrons and then some matrix algebra thrown in for lulz.

This is about as difficult as it gets in terms of pure maths. Just wanna know how the standard of UK education stands with the US.
    Bench - 220
    Squat - 308
    Deadlift - 374

1k club soon enough..

Originally Posted by Movjam View Post
    Not gonna lie I love maths, about to go into my second year of A-levels (year 13). How difficult is maths over in the states at a pre-uni level? (A-levels are the two years before university). I'm doing an A-level in further maths which is the most sophisticated pure maths taught at A-levels, currently studying:

Hyperbolic functions and calculus revolving around them, reduction formulae and using integration to find arcs of curves and area of a surface of revolution prop up there.

Some stuff on co-ordinate systems which seems straight-forward enough. Also using vectors to find volumes of paralellepiped and tetrahedrons and then some matrix algebra thrown in for lulz.

This is about as difficult as it gets in terms of pure maths. Just wanna know how the standard of UK education stands with the US.
    Its pretty much on-par from what you describe. While all schools in the US may be different, the texts I have encountered may equate your curriculum to a second and thrid semester Calculus course. The first is considered a freshman class (13th year), the latter probably at sophomore level (14th).

Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by Doppelganger462 View Post
    Anyone here studying/interested in statistics? I'm a 5th year math major with emphasis in statistics. Looking to enter a biostatistics or applied statistics graduate program next year.

Also is anyone here studying for the GRE? I'm taking in next week on the 26th. Anyways, I was looking through one of the math sections (which are a joke btw) in a prep book I picked up, and stumbled across this problem:

no, the book is right...a - b= -2a right? well think about this... a - x = -2a

isolate x.

-x = -3a

divide by -1

x = 3a

x = b

b = 3a

b is three times as much as a.

erftbll81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) erftbll81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) erftbll81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) erftbll81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) erftbll81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) erftbll81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) erftbll81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) erftbll81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) erftbll81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) erftbll81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) erftbll81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hey guize, computer engineering student here =D. I've finished all my math already.
    At my school its divided into 6 calculus classes.

1. Calculus I - mostly limits and derivatives
    2. Calculus II - All methods of integration and solving volumes of revolutions and **** like that.
    3. Calculus III - All series and sums, some polar equations and some physics equations.
    4. Calculus of multiple variables I - Mostly vectors, planes. limits of vectors, derivatives of vectors. etc
    5. Calculus of multiple variables II - solving more volumes with double integrals and triple integrals. stokes theorem, greens theorem. etc
    6. Differential equations and linear algebra - all differential equations and some applications of newtons laws using diff eq's

I thought they were all pretty easy and straightforward, A lot easier than all of the engineering courses i have taken.
    **Always Rep Back Crew**
    **B.S. Computer Engineering, Cal Poly Pomona**
    **Los Angeles Misc Crew**

Originally Posted by erftbll81 View Post
    Hey guize, computer engineering student here =D. I've finished all my math already.

2. Calculus II - All methods of integration and solving volumes of revolutions and **** like that.
    3. Calculus III - All series and sums, some polar equations and some physics equations.
    4. Calculus of multiple variables I - Mostly vectors, planes. limits of vectors, derivatives of vectors. etc
    5. Calculus of multiple variables II - solving more volumes with double integrals and triple integrals. stokes theorem, greens theorem. etc
    6. Differential equations and linear algebra - all differential equations and some applications of newtons laws using diff eq's

I thought they were all pretty easy and straightforward, A lot easier than all of the engineering courses i have taken.
    Take more math bro. You may not need it for your segree, but it could give you an edge. The fun math is yet to come

Originally Posted by erftbll81 View Post

Until you take an introductory abstract algebra or (real) analysis course, you don't even know what math is tbh.

Originally Posted by Spaghettii View Post
    no, the book is right...a - b= -2a right? well think about this... a - x = -2a

isolate x.

-x = -3a

divide by -1

x = 3a

x = b

b = 3a

b is three times as much as a.
    No. Take a = 1. Then b = 3, and b > a. Take a = -1. Then b = -3, and b < a.

erftbll81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) erftbll81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) erftbll81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) erftbll81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) erftbll81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) erftbll81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) erftbll81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) erftbll81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) erftbll81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) erftbll81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) erftbll81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Take more math bro. You may not need it for your segree, but it could give you an edge. The fun math is yet to come
    yeah i am already done for what is needed for my degree, but i kinda wanna keep taking math and physics.
    **Always Rep Back Crew**
    **B.S. Computer Engineering, Cal Poly Pomona**
    **Los Angeles Misc Crew**

Until you take an introductory abstract algebra or (real) analysis course, you don't even know what math is tbh.
    Lol I suppose this is kinda true.

When I think of maths I think of integrals and sums but really they mean nothing unless you've got rigorous proof of everything underneath them.

Epsilon-delta proof were my first experience with actual in depth maths. I thought that was as 'basic' as it got but then you get to set theory and realize they've decided to base the whole maths world based on a few axioms...

Movjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Movjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Movjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Movjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Movjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Movjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Movjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Movjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Movjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Movjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Movjam will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Its pretty much on-par from what you describe. While all schools in the US may be different, the texts I have encountered may equate your curriculum to a second and thrid semester Calculus course. The first is considered a freshman class (13th year), the latter probably at sophomore level (14th).
    Interesting, thanks for the response mate.

Anyone care to delve in a little into abstract algebra and analysis? Currently reading a book called "A Brief Guide to the Great Equations" by Robert P. Crease (great book btw, would recommend) which mentions Euler being a pioner of analysis in maths with respect to all of his work with infinite summations and his equation of e^(ipi) + 1 = 0. So something along proof and derivations of equations?
    Bench - 220
    Squat - 308
    Deadlift - 374

1k club soon enough..