Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Advanced_Bot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Advanced_Bot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Advanced_Bot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Advanced_Bot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Advanced_Bot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Advanced_Bot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Advanced_Bot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Advanced_Bot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Advanced_Bot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Advanced_Bot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Advanced_Bot is on a distinguished road. (+10)

My Boxing Journal: Unfinished Business

So to start things off, this maybe a long post with some background information and such just warning anyone if they read over it

I have done boxing on and off for 3 years (mostly off, school and work) in those years i went from just lifting weights to boxing to doing nothing I never had a balance, however, i felt my best when i was in boxing, enjoying the workouts, sparring, and the chances i had to compete but never did not once, so this time around I have got myself involved with the sport again and fully concentrated, I have done a template of some of the things i will be doing outside of the gym to keep up my conditioning. I will post them and also post notes about the workouts and what goes on in the boxing gym.

Before i post my sample workouts to make this journal legit, i have posted others in the past on this username and another (shrug_abuse) all in the pl section and although i have erased many, i still have videos but ill get back to that later

So some stats: im 5'9 and weigh around 160-165lbs
    Best Mile time: 6:10, Best 5km time: 21:27

part of my conditioning includes road work (your basic runs) and track work

I run 5km on the days i dont have training, and i do track work on the weekends in the mornings.

Track work involves; sprints, timing my 1 mile times, running bleachers, jumps, etc.
    the track work is used to help my VO2 Max, doing work within 5-6 minutes at maximal efforts, it also contributes to my road work as i time my 5km runs i would like to get to the point to where i can run and sprint it and get within 19-20 minutes

side note; where i live, weather in the 80-90s is very hot, and we are experiencing that, sometimes i have to put up with the heat, it sounds crazy, but our gym has no AC and getting used to the heat helps out huge, i also work 2 summer jobs and one of them im outside for 8 hours of the day so every little bit i do contributes

the gym will be closed next month, I will be running weekdays and track work weekends as much as i can, also, i have a punching bag i just started using that ill be trying to use 30 minutes a day or more, i also have weights and may do some conventional lifts and explosive lifts

So 2 weeks ago, i returned to my gym, basics, skipping, shadow boxing, bag drills, abs, etc

Last week: I went all 3x, everyday sparring, i even got a video i will post the link, i did okay for my first time sparring in 1.5 years but i also know what i need to work on

this week: the gym is open 4x a week b/c i think other gyms are coming down to do some work with us, see how that goes, pretty pumped better start training hard

before i post the link i forgot to mention i did some muay thai for 4-5 months and was consistant it was something new but i feel my best place is boxing

here is my link

www.youtube.com/jgrampz

you will notice and old boxing video of the double ended bag, i have got much better at it, however i wont be getting any videos of that soon, you will also notice some bench press videos when i did pling, but most importantly you will find my sparring video from a few days ago, so anyways, thanks to people who read this i will try and keep it updated as much as possible, i will make layout of my training for the upcoming months

Advanced_Bot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Advanced_Bot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Advanced_Bot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Advanced_Bot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Advanced_Bot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Advanced_Bot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Advanced_Bot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Advanced_Bot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Advanced_Bot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Advanced_Bot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Advanced_Bot is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    so today

Bag work: 20 minutes, worked on simple 1-2s, moving in and out, several punch combinations

Boxing gym: skipping 3 rounds, double ended bag 2-3 rounds, sparring 2 rounds, nothing too hard

No heavy bag today but at the gym I worked on the double ended bag for several rounds, working head movement, punching, slipping, weaving and moving side to side and 3-5 punch combinations, went really well, maybe afterall i will get a new updated video of hitting the bag ill see

also worked on many rounds of shadow boxing, no sparring tonight, tomorrow some other clubs are supposed to make an appearance for sparring so if that is a go ill be at the gym sparring, would be a great experience to get a feel of how other clubs train and its pretty much similar to just getting into the ring for my first bout

next week ill be working afternoons, ill try and keep the journal updated on road work/track work and other stuff ill be working at

No training today i guess the the other club cancelled out on the sparring session that was supposed to be planned for this evening and since i just found that information out not too long ago i decided not to do nay road work/heavy bag work today

The gym will be closing at the end of this month which leaves me with few oppurtunities to go, ill be going tomorrow and then wont have a chance to go until the last week its open (i do shift work and next weeks shifts will cut into the hours of the boxing gym) so this means ill really have to get stricly into lots of road work and track work plus doing heavy bag drills at home. I am going to post a sample routine of what itll be like, considering i wont be able to go next week im going to try and accomplish as much of what im going about to post

Track Work: i enjoy this this part of training alot, its a good place to train, lots of open space, lots of intuitive ideas come into mind ( playgrounds, hills, bleachers, track, benches) so alot can be accomplished

im going to go either saturday or sunday and may decide to go on other days during the week as well while the season lasts (i can do road work anytime of the year)

so it will look like this

warm up: 1-2 laps, light tempo, making sure each lap is under 2 minutes, feel fluid, stretch, and then relax and walk one lap

Mile run test: 4 laps=one mile at the track, my best mile is 6:10 i want to get in the 5s even if it means i finish at 5:59

Sprints: this will work well with my mile runs and my 5km road work runs, im going to aim for 5x100m to start and gradually increase the volume over time, i will be also try to get myself used to sprinting when i do my mile test and 5km runs to help my conditioning and increase intensity

Stairs: there is a baseball diamond at the track and of course there are bleachers and stairs, ill be running the stairs probably 3-5x it takes roughly 2-3 mins to do it once my goal will be to keep it under 2 minutes once my conditioning gets stronger

Bleachers: foot hops 5 sets each foot then 5 sets for both feet, basically you hop on one foot up the bleachers and run down the stairs and hop back up again, if anyone was interested what this exercise was, its very tiring after doing all the above lol

Box Jump variant (optional): i will or will not be doing these, i dont know if this is the appropriate name for this exercise however, picture a square, and in each corner is a bench, i got curious to see if i can hop onto the top of one from a standing position (they are probably like 3 feet high maybe) so of course i did and then it made more sense that i can hop on one jump off and hop to the next immediately, so there you go, a nice finisher to all the work, no one uses these benches and they are quite strong so i may consider giving this an oppurtunity

other stuff (i can do occasional sprints up hills, use the play ground for dips and pullups and other interesting stuff, it all depends what i feel will be most valuable)

Road work: 5km runs im going to aim for 4-5x a week depending on how much track work i decide to do but these will be a must when there is no conflict in schedule, i figure if i can do more track work and increase the intensity/volume in those workouts, ill be able to increase the intensity of my 5km runs which is better for my conditioning

other stuff: i will of course be doing abs, body weight exercises, heavy bag drills everyday (maybe take a video of that sometime too just maybe) and some weights (such as powercleans, squats, single rep bench press speed bench, nothing too crazy)

and most importantly ill BOX when i get the chances to make it to the gym, and all going well i may have my first bout this fall if my coach can get me a fight that would be awesome ive been holding that off for too long

I know these workouts seem typical for maybe a runner, however, boxing is a sweet science, and if you put alot of heart into your training, especially outside of the gym, itll show in the ring and when you train and when you compete

so ya, another long post, more in depth of the program i made for myself, its still not concrete but once it gets going ill keep it posted as much as possible

Okay, so i went to the boxing gym and worked on the following:

Double end bag, various rounds, shadow boxing, and hand pads with a trainer all in all went good, i even managed to get 2 videos of me hitting the double ended for any interested, i was impressed with how well i did considering it was at the end of my workout and also, of all double ended bags i worked with, this one is the hardest because its the tension is very strong which makes it harder to hit

i wont be training tomorrow ill be working at both my jobs, im hoping to get some track work done on saturday and sunday and ill post those workouts and such

here are the links to my videos enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P63awlbGy38

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnO0BJTKQ9Y

BORN2LOSE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BORN2LOSE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BORN2LOSE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BORN2LOSE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BORN2LOSE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BORN2LOSE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BORN2LOSE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BORN2LOSE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BORN2LOSE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BORN2LOSE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BORN2LOSE has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

How often do you spar?
    Putting fools to sleep since 2005
    Prime BJJ

about 2-3x a week, the boxing gym is open 3x a week in the summer then 4x once september comes around, i only can make boxing so many times a week because of school and work but im doing the best i can

ps the only reason why i sparred just 1x this week is because the other boxers have fights this week and one just is coming off a fight so they had to take it easier
    Last edited by Advanced_Bot; 07-16-2010 at 01:30 PM.

so today was half track work/road work

i went to the track with the intentions to run my one mile only but since it was so nice out i also did 5km and that was my warmup for my mile run, i ended up getting 6.16.97 so i am closer and closer to my old record and soon enough will reach a new one

id like to go back tomorrow probably do another mile run and then do some stairs etc, so overall good effort especailly since i havent got alot of sleep (working midnights at one job and in the evening at the other) and considering the 5km run, i really just wanted to test my endurance and itll only get better

it was kinda busy at the track, alot of events going in and around the park needless to say with the little time i had i got some work in

1 mile: 6:14.25 getting so close to my goal, i remember like 2 or 3 weeks ago when i started retraining for the mile i was in the 6:30s im confident if i strategize and do what i thought of trying i could get my goal 5:59 or less, when i get to the last stretch of each lap, say last 50-100m, if i could sprint it off and maintain a strong pace i could probably cut a good 20 seconds off, im going tomorrow to try it

stairs: i timed myself it takes me 2.38 or 39 to do one lap of these, although a bit tired getting around 2 minutes or less will still be a good challenge

I did about 5km today i wanted to hit the bag and do some powercleans after my shift i was way too drained to do anything, i plan to get up early and do my one mile again, if anyone asks why i do my one mile so much i figured to myself that an amateur bout here is typically 2 3 min rounds or 3 2 min rounds, making the match 6 minutes. If i did my best mile at 6.10 and say i get in the 5s it tells me that i have been getting stronger at each lap and overall getting better, take the fight for example, its 6 minutes of stop and go action with the little breaks between rounds, as the fight goes on, or in this case the mile run, you want to appear still in good condition and able to continue, i made my goal of surpassing my record and getting in the 5s because i know then i can handle a 6 minute bout, i know they are different but when im doing these runs i go at a good pace and then a strong pace almost sprint then back to normal so its almost like a bout when you start off with a couple lead jabs and then go into combination punching and then back to the same old, thats how i see the mile run and its benefits for me

Update

Last tuesday i didnt do any track work, reason being when i went to do my mile run i felt pain in my feet and that was a good indicator that it was time to get some new shoes, i had some under armour trainers that lasted a good few months and i know that type is not typically used for running but they were light and had good stability, i just over used them thats all, anyways i got a new pair of kicks from nike, these are even more comfortable, extemely light and wider which is good because i got wide feet so ya i put them to the test yesterday and just a little while ago

yesterday i did my mile run, i ended up getting 6.11.81 my record is 6.10 i could of have beaten it if i speeded up a bit i probably also could of got in the 5's but each run i am getting closer and closer i remember a few weeks back when i started doing this run again i was getting in the 6:30s, i just have to pace myself better because i can do the first 2 laps in about 2:55 and i know my last lap is pretty good but its right after the half point i slow down just enough that i dont totally notice but it takes up alot

i was going to do the mile run again but instead i did a 5km temp run, whats funny is even though i was just doing the run at a good pace i can handle, i decided to time this run to see where i am and sure enough i ended up with a real good time for my self of 22.19.62

i wasnt even trying to go for anything special i had taken my time, what i like about this run is that my last km was quicker than my first one and also i wasnt completely gased when i got back, im almost certain if i had the mindset to beat my old record of 21.27 i could of but thats okay, getting the time i got at a comfortable pace is a good sign im getting in better shape thats whats most important me

also, i have avoided doing a couple things, bag work etc, i think itll be best to start when boxing is done next week, its hard to do a little extra when i dont got much time in the day because im always working, not to mention where i work is at a steel factory and im outside in the heat 8 hours of the day working with steel so that is a huge factor to my training for sure, i never let to make complaints but usually when i say im going to do stuff in training programs i create, i follow them, however there has been a lack of some of the things i said i would do but i guess its better to realize you could only do so much if you got tons of other things going on, anyways, ill keep this journal updated as much as possible, im pumped for next week as its the last week of boxing, hopefully get lots of training in before the season is over

No training yesterday because of the weather, i did a 5km run today that was just at a comfortable speed, finished at 23:47:34 i had no intentions of running overly hard im wondering though when im going to actually try and get a new record could be in the next couple weeks or even sooner considering i got boxing next week and then its closed for a month i may make the runs more brutal by setting a standard to finish them at a cut off time of 22:30 or less, again it seems like everything in this journal is all about running and so far most of it has, i think once boxing is done next week ill focus more on longer workouts and more conditioning, i like the idea of sprints, the mile test 5km runs and bag drills i got set up, but i also thought of other ideas involving weight training and possibly combining somethings together (eg. powercleans 10 explosive reps followed by 50 fast punches, for say 4 sets, or even lunges or squats 20-25 reps followed by 10 reps of 5 combination punches on the bag) being creative in this aspect gives me alot of ideas and i think making a routine mixing them up into one workout will be worth the go i was thinking of something like this that i could do tomorrow which is a possibility

5km run: 22.02.97 however probably just less than 22 minutes because at the half point i usually loop around and cross to the other side of the road, it would make about a 5 second difference maybe but ya i was very impressed with this time, i still havent tried to beat my record yet, i am just running at this pace comfortably and achieving a very good time for me which means when i eventually push myself who knows what i can get, not to mention running the 5km where i live, is much harder than anywhere else ive ran, its not a practical 5km but its a good training ground to become a stronger runner (you run on different surfaces, dirt, road, stone, never consistant) the roads are never linear, there are some wide turns, alot of little inclines and uphill running, when its hot out, like it has been, you have the sun beaming on you for majority of the time there is nothing that really blocks any sun out eg.buildings, and if its windy you sometimes have to fight that off, when i would normally run say 1.5 miles at the track like i used to, i would get in the mid 9s, i know that when im almost at 2.5km which is about 100m more than 1.5mile my time is usually around 1045-1115 that is over a minute more than what i can regularly do 1.5 miles in, im thinking that if i want to try and do my true 5km time maybe ill try it on the track but i love the challenge of trying to get good times out here and im glad my conditioning is getting better even though i havent done too much yet

i also tried a little bit of weight training with the punching bag

hangcleans: 135x10+ 50 fast punches, 30 sec-1 min break and repeat for a total of 3 sets

it was very good, i didnt do too much because i havent lifted in along time but now doing this i can event my own unique training, i figured for example, i can do those 3 sets and get them done under about 2-3 minutes, making it sport specific, i would call that round 1, and repeat it for 3-4 rounds, and move on to other exercises, i have alot of thoughts about this new type of training im coming up with and expect me to probably type up a real weight training/boxing conditioning routine thatll be perfect for its context

Boxing gym:

4-5 rounds of double end bag, 4-5 rounds of shadow boxing, 3 rounds working with a partner, practised blocking jabs, 1-2s and body shots, heavy bag for 3 rounds practised body shots, bending, moving, etc then moved onto floor work doing abs and such

i may or may not go for an early run it depends what time i get up, i got boxing tomorrow so i will keep the journal updated for what happens

Yesterdays Boxing

4-5 rounds double ended bag, 3-4 rounds shadow boxing, worked with a partner for a few rounds on blocking, slipping, etc, heavy bag 3-4 rounds, heavy bag drills (with a partner) work speed 15 seconds, quick break, repeat, for 5 times, head and body 4 times, 4 punches in and out 4 times, and then power 4 times, floor work and that was all

i got to start planning runs again, tomorrow is the last day for the boxing gym then its up to me to continue my conditioning

Okay so heres a little update

Thursday: Last day of boxing was good i did about 5 rounds of the double ended bag, 3-4 rounds of shadow boxing i focused alot on uppercuts, short powerful punches, and pivoting off, heavy bag 3-4 rounds, and then with the coach i did 2 rounds of hand pads, he really focused on my in fighting, with alot of uppercuts and hooks, short straight punches and long straight punches, he was impressed overall with my hand speed, power, and said my balance was very solid that even if i say missed one of my hooks on the hand pads i wouldnt go off balance considering i was throwing them fast and powerful, when i go back to the gym ill be in school again and depending on schedule im going to try and go as much as possible, i maybe fighting this year and any chance i can go ill be there not to mention i will also be training outside of the gym as i am now

So far today i had a solid 5km run, the best one ive to date and this year, i havent done much other road work or track work in the last week as i said i was going to focus on the last 3 days of boxing so for what i did today im impressed, given the fact it was my second best 5km run ever at 21:35:44 which i definately could of beat my old record but its not an upset that i didnt its actually telling me im in better shape than ever because every 5km run has been getting easier and much quicker, not to mention i have a consistant pace i just have to be a little stronger on the way back and i could probably cut a good 20-30 seconds off, i guess the reason i didnt beat my old time today is because im not in the proper mind set of beating it, i mean itll be great if i did beat it in training but my focus is to keep pushing myself and when i know ive been consistant in training and getting better ill set a date to go out and beat it and thats when i would like to beat it more than just a couple seconds so far now ill just be doing my runs and get back into track work too which i feel has helped me alot for pacing for sure, and just get myself into great shape

I may do a part 2 of my workout today i want to focus on the inside fighting on the bag, combined with some weight training/endurance drills on the heavy bag, if i do i will post it up

Okay, so an hour after my run i did a little bit of lifting combined with the heavy bag to help me make a conclusion and heres what i attempted

so for round one: my goal was to do a set of hang cleans (135x10) and then 50 fast punches with another set of hang cleans and 50 punches again, the goal was to get it less than 2 minutes, i got it in about 1:45 or so

round two: i wanted to see how many reps i can get of my own weight (160) i did 5 although i could of probably pushed 10 i felt a little weakened from the previous set and just did what i could because i havent rly lifted weights in a consistant routine for months, after the 5 i did 50 fast punches and i did that within 45 seconds

round three: i did push press reps of 135x10 followed by 100 fast punches and got that just under one minute, i know this isnt a whole lot but it has offered me many ideas on how to set up a progressive 4 week routine to spark up my speed, power, endurance and overall cardio, in a creative way anyways

heavy bag: 15 minutes, non stop, working on the inside, short powerful punches, 4-5 punch combinations, etc, was good

i like combining the 2 together for a workout that is short and explosive and i made it sport specific so that i have to force myself to finish something within a limited time (like simulating a round in boxing) i have thought out the exercises that will be used for the majority of the program with specific reasoning of my own

hangcleans/powercleans/push presses: it is an overall body exercise that allows you to exert explosive power to complete a single lift, the movements/mechanics of these lifts use muscles that benefits the boxer; not only do you have to bend at the knees but you also have to explode using the hips in an upright position and to squat back down to catch the bar, in boxing you are constantly bending, coming up again, bending, moving etc, this lift will help with overall body conditioning, ability to bend at the knees faster, explode up, and a major key point, ability to use more power driving with the hips, that is why i prefer these lifts, on top of it, itll keep the body and core strong

squats: strengthen the legs, get used to going down and coming back up, another accessory lift similar to the above, strong legs with the ability to be agile fast and powerful give you that KO power

other: i may use some bench (maximal effort, sets of 10 and possibly speed bench) ill through in some stuff for tris and back, a little bit of conventional lifts but nothing too crazy

either tomorrow or monday ill type out a 4 week routine, itll focus on 4 stages of conditioning that i made up (and have used in similar routines but for different goals)

Week 1: Conditioning Stage: example, ill focus on 2 or 3 rounds of weight circuits and heavy bag training, 5km runs will have a cut off time of 22:30 or 22 havent decided yet, track work, to actually focus on sprints, stairs, and work on the one mile getting around 6:30 or less

Week 2: Intermediate Stage: increase volume for rounds and duration possibly, maybe add more rounds, etc, make 5km runs more intense, 21:45 possible cut off time, keep focus on track work, etc

Week 3: Advanced Stage: increase volume for rounds but keep duration at 2 mins (i think on the second week id keep the rounds 3 minutes but increase the volume from the first week most likely) intense 5km runs again, etc

Week 4: Fighter Stage: i will make tests to assess my overall fitness such as mile run test 5km test and other tests i feel are needed

i also want to add abs, and body weight exercises, with the weight training, ill divide the rounds by power, endurance, and speed , this is a great idea id come up with and id like to keep it updated as much as possible

so, i figured that i had a great run yesterday with the 5km, why not try and do one more mile run test before i start a new program monday, and thats what i did and..

PR!!!!!

its been such a long while since i got a personal best in any fitness category (weight training, running, sprinting etc) and i am most pleased because i shattered my old record of 6:10

i just started doing this mile run for the last month i started out at around 6:30ish after such a long lay off, i kept getting closer and closer my last current record was 6:11 but its nothing compared to the 5:57:69 i just achieved today im very happy with this and now my next goal will be 5:45

ps ill keep this journal posted with the start of week one of the new program i created

Okay so today i started my program and i wanted to see how things would workout

5km run: just under 25 minutes, my timing was way off today as far as pace goes, i underestimated the heat and the wind i was running into the whole time, it definately cut my time huge, i should have taken into consideration that alot of my 5km run times maybe inconsistant because of how im feeling, previous training, weather conditions or a mix of both, although far from being a good run, im glad i finished it knowing ill have to better prep myself before running (i did this run about half hourish after getting up, also i had small bit of food in me, nothing close to a meal but still)

part 2: speed/endurance (goal is to hangclean 135x10 + 50 fast punches 2x n under 2 mins)

Round 1: finished in 1:45
    Round 2: finished in 1:53
    Round 3: finished in 1:48

next i worked on the heavy bag for 15 mins straight, worked on inside fighting close in the pocket

I had a minute to finish Round after all the above was completed

in one minute i was to push press 135x10+100 punches under 1 minute and i got 55 seconds

overall great workout, i felt pretty gased after all this and im still thinking of doing some skipping later today with some body exercises before my midnight shift, anyways i said i would post more of the routine up today i have been busy havent got around to it, if not tonight tomorrow should have the remainder of the week up

my above post doesnt make alot of sense hahah i typed it too fast before i had to go into work, ill explain more thoroughly about my run

it was hot, windy, and i did the run going into wind and it really slowed me down and the heat just got to me badly, usually the heat is something i can handle okay but today it just owned me, im starting to think if i should try running 5km on the track to see what i can get, i also figure by doing a 5km run on a track every once in a while will help me work on my pace and i focus on say running 6:30 miles or less (i read somewhere that pro boxers run about 6 min miles and that would be a sick goal to attain) if i run at home again im considering either very early runs or later runs in the evening when its cooler out and more relaxed, ill still do the odd runs in the heat but i got to take into consideration i work out side in the heat 8 hours a day in a factory so i need some sort of break from the heat once in a while

i just finished the last part of my workout today as well

skipping: 5 minutes
    shadow boxing: 2 minutes (just to stay loose)

body exercise circuit: 50 crunches, 25 squat jumps, 50 leg raises, 50 pushups and 25 burpees completed in 4:30

ive had a total workout today and i think this is stuff thatll work, i havent decided fully whats next for tomorrow ive oppurtunities to do alot of stuff, if i go to the track to run 5km and do another weight circuit, or train my 1 mile in which i have a great strategy for that as well or do my weight circuit, heavy bag stuff and body weight stuff during the afternoon and my 5km run in the evening, ill have to see and keep it posted

in my first week itll be something like this that ill be working on

5km runs: aim is to try and get 22-22:30 mins or less

1 mile training: run quarter miles at 1:25 or less, jog one lap and do another quarter mile until 4 laps of each are done and then just run a mile in say 6:30 or so

track work other than the mile: sprints of 100mx5, stairs, etc, i have another place around my house where there are some nice hills i can work on sprinting uphill etc, although i dont know the distance it takes to run to those hills i can also get some good cardio in that part too but this is just a maybe

weight circuits: im going to run it as speed,power,endurance, using the hangclean, powerclean and push press, as you seen how i did it the above with the 3 rounds, this week is all 3 rounds with 2 minute cut off, so therefore must complete the workload under the given time to be successful, i eventually will increase weight and volume, heavy bag will stay at 15 mins this week and move up to 20 next week, accessory weight training exercises will be posted when i decide to do them and use them appropriately

hope this helps, itll make more sense as the workouts continue

Part 1 of todays workout, i did my own little weight training circuit, worked on some explosive power but mostly endurance

warmup (simple stuff) i wanted to do a little bit of bench press nothing over the top because i have not really done bench press in a while but i just wanted to test a weight that i can do a respectable amount of reps in and i had an idea

worked up to 185x12 (not bad considering im 160lbs train in boxing and have not lifted in ages, i used to be able to rep 225x15 easily but those were in my pling days but i will say only doing reps of 185 to me isnt bad because im not training for strength but if i had a goal to maintain a certain weight on the bench it be nice to get a single or more of 250 but its not of great importance now, its just nice to have that bit of power while boxing)

okay anyways here is the circuit i created, you have 4 exercises (a full clean to press all one motion similar to an olympic snatch just minus squatting under the bar, barbell rows, squat jumps, and standing military press) i used 95lbs of weight and each exercise you must complete 15 reps, go to the heavy bag and work on the following combination (go in fast with 5 quick and powerful straight punches and then out, repeat this 10 times and then proceed to next exercise and so on)

so to make it more clear for anyone interested

full clean to press one motion (95lbs)x15, 5 fast punches in and out for 50 punch total
    barbell rows 95lbsx15, 5 fast punches in and out for 50 punch total
    squat jumps 95lbsx15, 5 fast punches in and out for 50 punch total
    standing strict military press 95lbsx15, 5 fast punches in and out for 50 punch total

i completed the circuit in 6:30, i had a quick break and finished with 40 hard punches

so in total all the reps completed=300, 240 punches, 60 reps with weight exercises

after this i worked on close grip bench very light, 95lbsx25 then speed bench 95 lbs 4 sets of 3

i proceed onto the heavy bag for 15 minutes, later today i plan to go out for a run and then do some light skipping maybe a small bit of shadow boxing and body exercises again

Part 2 of todays workout

5km run: 22:10:62 much better than yesterday, i did my run in the evening, although its humid out, only thing that was a little struggle was the wind and my theory was correct, my time on the way there was slower on the way back, on the way back i had no wind against me what so ever and i could find a better pace, i know running is unpredictable and there are alot of factors that can effect running but i try to maximize my time without having to worry about elements that over exhaust me because my 5km route that i run is already challenging with many turns some uphill running, etc, its great to train youre running for sure

skipping: 5 minutes, shadow boxing 2 minutes

body exercise circuit: 50 crunches, 50 leg raises, 25 knee tucks, 25 clap pushups, i took my time transitioning from each exercise but i finished it in 2:50

overall great workout today, i think tomorrow ill train my power, and hopefully get a 5km run in, got a busy schedule tomorrow and itll be tough to squeeze it all in

Update

last 3 days (wednesday thursday and today of course) i have not been able to run, it was way too hot outside and besides i working both my jobs, midnights at one then evenings at the other, although i really wanted to run ill be going for one tomorrow for sure and next week ill be less busy and be running as much as i can get in, i also bought a sick book that has alot of knowledge on running that ill be reading into, i just really want to be in great shape and well conditioned for my fights ill be having later on

yesterday i did workout, i did a strength/endurance/speed circuit in one, i like these quick explosive workouts i created, and i can tell they are working i feel a little more explosive and the exercises i did yesterday were a little tougher than the ones i did for my last 3 round circuit

so i started like this

Bench Press: 135x5, 185x1, 205x1, 225x1, 235x1 (oh i can get 250 soon, ill just be patient, maybe)

hang clean and press: 135x10 reps (pretty positive it was 10), 40 hard punchesx2 sets in 1:45
    Powercleans: 155x5, 40 hard punchesx2 sets in 1:53
    Powerclean to press: 135x10, 120 hard punches in 1:55

Heavy Bag: 15 minutes, working in and out, combinations etc

i want to get in a solid workout tomorrow, and hopefully sunday get some intense track work in and start my next conditioning stage (which i may take 2 weeks to do instead of one) with the possibility of adding hills into my training schedule

Update

Saturday: 5km in 22:25

Today: 5km in 22:21

i had a perfect pace going today it looked promising, at half point i was around 10:30 on the way back i slowed right down the humidity was too much, i think i have to re evaluate my running strategies and only run for time on certain days like when it gets cooler out, i might just start running much longer distances at a more relaxed pace and still do track work, i would of done so much more this weekend but i was too busy worked both jobs and had to help shovel stone, very exhausted, i want to do another timed 5km run however i want to try at the track and see what kind of difference there is, i know i record my times quite a bit but i feel for me to be in the best condition i set myself goals to achieve and when i reach them i know my fitness level is getting better and it will all transfer to the boxing ring anyways tomorrow id like to get into weights if i can and start getting back into heavy bag work and such

part 1 of todays workout consisted of..

not running 5km around the track, i felt more moivated to do track work and work on some simple speed because ive neglected it for over a week so i had a quick change in mind and missed the 5km timed track run for the quarter mile intervals

i did 4x400m timed laps, after each lap i walked one, my goal was to get 1:25 average for 4 laps and this was the outcome

Lap 1: 1:19
    Lap 2: 1:24
    Lap 3: 1:27
    Lap 4: 1:21

an average of 1:25 lap would put me at a 5:40 mile (my goal is to get a 5:45 mile but training these laps to add up less than 5:45 builds my confidence towards running the mile sometime again) with these laps it totals a 5:31 mile which is great, it doesnt mean i could get this time if i ran 4 laps consecutively but by building up a pace lap by lap will help me aim for an average when i do attempt another one mile test, my average for these 4 laps is around 1:22-1:23 which is good, i figure if i did 4 hard laps i can probably reach my goal but ill give it sometime, hopefully after work tonight ill get some weights in

No part 2 of yesterdays workout, came home from work and crashed for like 10 hours, i did lift weights today but extremely low volume considering i havent done too much lately, i started the day off with timing my one mile, not looking for a personal best but to seek maintenance in which i did i got my second best time of 6:08

Bench Press: 185 3x10, i just wanted to check if i can rep out 185 which is ok with me

Heavy Bag: 10 minutes, easy, in and out, combinations and son

Im going to break my cardio into different style now, ill do speed work 1-2x per week which consists of running quarter miles at a hard pace, im going to start running slow long distances such as 10km (going to start with 7.5 because i dont think ive ever done more if so i dont think ive done 10 or more) and maybe do hills 1-2x per week, all this with the current weight training strategy i had before should really help my conditioning i just have to commit to it, since last week i did an okay amount of workouts and this week so far a little less, these 2 weeks will be the conditioning stage and the next week will be a little tougher hopefully because before i know it the boxing gym is open again, next month i have a school placement that runs from mon-thurs, and the shifts are days 8-4 and afternoons 4-12 so i can box every saturday for sure, and every other week i can make the classes on mon tues and thurs and the week im on afternoons ill focus alot on heavy bag work etc same stuff im doing now for conditioning

and oh, i weighed myself the other day i been floating around 157-158 lightest i been this year

Update

Ill be honest i did little to 0 weight training this week, i managed my schedule incorrectly, most days i slept in and left only time to do cardio or weights but i would always pick my runs over weight training circuits, to make it fair i really got to push myself to do circuits at least 3 if not 4 times a week and starting monday to hit my bag for at least 20 minutes, i think even though i lacked weight training, my body will handle circuits with a little more intensity i feel my conditioning has slightly increased so therefore i feel i can handle more volume, on a more positive note i decided to give 10km a shot, i never ran such a distance and didnt know what to expect i ran it thursday and got a time of 54.40 i had taken my sweet time and it was blistering hot out, i ran it saturday and got 49.30 i had a better pace and was looking for a pace i could handle, i think its safe to say that once this heat is gone or i find a cooler day i could get 10km in 45 minutes

so tomorrow i may run another 10km, going to have a cheat meal, and back to it monday and to make sure i do some weight circuits, bag work, skipping, body weight exercises etc, i also bought a heart rate monitor watch, good to know what training range im in, i tested it tonight just for my resting heart rate and it was pretty accurate ranging around 48 beats per min (ive had it tested around that a few times before) so ill be sure to have full use of it

so today i did a 5km run at the track finished around 22:22, I actually had the intentions of doing 10km but as i did my laps i felt that 5k would be reasonable considering i had a massive cheat meal yesterday and yes it hindered me a bit in my run but i honestly think if i focused on running these laps for a good time i had the potential to get maybe just less than 20 or so, anyways i did some easy lifting and heavy bag work

Heavy Bag: 20 minutes, fast punches, worked alot of jabs, 4-5 punch combinations, in fighting, body shots, worked it all basically

Bench Press: 185x1, 205x8 (i was curious if i could do nay reps at 205 at all and to my suprise i still can)

i did a circuit that i finished in 2:10 but technically less than 2 minutes i did an extra rep on 1 or 2 of the exercises i was doing because i wanted to make sure i wasnt fully fatigued and could still push myself a little more

Hangcleans: 135x10+40 punches on bag
    Barbell Rows: 135x10+40 punches on bag
    Push Press: 135x10+40 punches on bag

lights abs

good stuff to get back into the mix of things im thinking of a 10k run tomorrow on top of some weights and maybe ill do some hills if not thatll be thursday, wednesday i plan to do some speed work at the track see what happens

So today i managed to get a BIG PR OH YES!

i ran 10km in 44:50:36 i was very impressed with myself for sticking with the run and maintaining a good consistant pace the whole way through the first 5km was barely under 22 minutes and the last was about 22:50, it was perfect temprature this evening, nice and cool, im more impressed because it was my third time doing 10km, ive had 4-5 hours sleep (i was going to do it at around 5:15am but i fell back asleep and had work for 7 and worked 8 hours) so this has answered some questions; i can run long distance for sure, i can maintain my pace, i am still improving my conditioning, another thing i should note, i checked my heart rate at just over 1km and it read 168, after i finished the run i was at 188, i would say thats pretty accurate and the fact i could train at 80-90% of my max heart rate for a length of time is good news because in boxing i know when i have my first fight there will be tension and nerves and adrenaline kicking in heart rate will probably be up in that range, anyways i know i was supposed to do some light weights and hit the heavy bag but with an impressive PR i worked hard for ill give myself the break

Update

since last time i did the 10km i went onto some track work and regular runs something like this if i remember correctly

speed work: 4 laps hard 4 laps jogging and 4.5 laps recovery i did the 4 laps in intervals: 1:18, 1:26, 1:26, annd 1:24 i completed the quarter miles in that time with jogging in between

10km with a friend i did in about 49 mins 40 seconds or so, it was just a recovery, easy pace run

6km run: not timed, another recovery run

5km run: 21:38 i didnt feel in the best condition, was a great run but i proved to myself today that i was right about yesterdays run because i got a new PR that crushed my old record

5km run today was done in 20 mins 43 seconds, a new PR im impressed, although i have missed alot of my weight circuit sessions ( i think ive decided to wait until boxing opens up next month) im impressed with my cardio, itll be very good for the boxing season coming up and maybe then ill add some more variety, i knew that i was going to run into troubles with weight training and cardio this summer because of how busy i am, i valued my cardio more though i really felt that the importance of running was more beneficial now so i can peak my fitness just before boxing starts and begin a new cycle to work around school and such to build up an even stronger cardio base and hopefully ill keep pushing the bar