Closed Thread
    kimoxxx is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kimoxxx is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kimoxxx is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kimoxxx is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kimoxxx is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kimoxxx is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kimoxxx is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kimoxxx is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kimoxxx is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kimoxxx is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kimoxxx is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

high reps for losing fat

is high reps good for losing fats? i know that recent studies shows that u can lose fat

without doing high reps but i see pros doing 15 reps per each set so does this make u lose

fat faster or some thing?

SUPER_MANLET has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SUPER_MANLET has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SUPER_MANLET has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SUPER_MANLET has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SUPER_MANLET has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SUPER_MANLET has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SUPER_MANLET has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SUPER_MANLET has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SUPER_MANLET has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SUPER_MANLET has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SUPER_MANLET has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I do everything 4 sets reps 20,20,15,15
    Beast

Sith Emperor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sith Emperor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sith Emperor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sith Emperor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sith Emperor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sith Emperor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sith Emperor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sith Emperor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sith Emperor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sith Emperor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sith Emperor is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The whole high rep low weight crap is nothing more than a myth. Losing fat comes from a caloric deficit. If you're on a deficit and you're doing high reps and low weight, you'll lose your muscle.

harshathlete is on a distinguished road. (+10) harshathlete is on a distinguished road. (+10) harshathlete is on a distinguished road. (+10) harshathlete is on a distinguished road. (+10) harshathlete is on a distinguished road. (+10) harshathlete is on a distinguished road. (+10) harshathlete is on a distinguished road. (+10) harshathlete is on a distinguished road. (+10) harshathlete is on a distinguished road. (+10) harshathlete is on a distinguished road. (+10) harshathlete is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by kimoxxx View Post
    is high reps good for losing fats? i know that recent studies shows that u can lose fat

without doing high reps but i see pros doing 15 reps per each set so does this make u lose

The number of reps will not determine how fast/slow you will lose weight. IMO, you burn very few calories ( 200-300 at max ) by weight training alone.

And weight loss/fat loss is a result of creating a calorie deficit. So your primary focus for fat loss should be creating a large enough calorie deficit through eating less and cardio. A daily calorie deficit of 500-1000 calories will yield a weight loss of 1-2 pounds a week.

Having said that, I primarily do weight training to build/maintain/preserve my muscle mass. There are many conflicting studies about whether you CAN/CANNOT build muscle on a cut. However, one thing is for certain, weight training will help you preserver as muscle as possible on a cut.

I would suggest doing fewer reps with heavier weights to keep stressing the existing muscle. If you lower the weight, then you *might* lose more muscle, since you are not taxing the muscles as much.

HTH
    Harshathlete

sureshk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sureshk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sureshk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sureshk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sureshk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sureshk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sureshk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sureshk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sureshk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sureshk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sureshk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    with noob (beginner) gains you can build muscle while on a cut. I put on a significant amount of muscle mass during my cut these past few months, but it's now coming to an end and I'm finally not gaining muscle. Don't count on gaining any, but it's possible.

High reps does nothing significant for losing fat. You should focus on building, or maintaining muscle and creating a calorie deficit. IMO the best way to lose fat is have a strict diet, but also to try to lift heavy and consistently.
    starting stats 08/4-158.5 lbs,95cm waist, ~25% body fat
    current stats 16/7-146 lbs, 81cm waist, ~13.0% body fat

original short term goal = 16 July = 12% BF. Actual reached = 16 July = 13% BF.
    New short term goal = increase calories by 250/week, hope to hit 10-11% BF by the time I reach my bulking calories (3rd Sept).
    Medium term goal = 160 lbs @ 10% body fat by April 2011
    long term goal = 180 lbs, 10% body fat

MissBelle331 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    From my understanding losing weight with weight training is not based on weather you do low reps or high reps. It is a question of how many pounds of muscle you put on since everyday one pound of muscle burns about 50 cals. The only thing that low or high reps determine is weather you want to really increase your size ( low 6-10 reps with heavy weights ) or if you are trying to improve your muscular endurance or trying to achieve a more "lean" look(high 12+ reps with moderate load .. making sure that the last 3 are difficult). But honestly, the best way to lose weight is by improving your diet.
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow,be like water - Bruce Lee

PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Clean diet with a consistent calorie deficit is #1.

Heavy and high intensity training (multiple sets; 8-10 rep range) focusing on compound movements will yield the most calorie expenditure - IMO.
    BRAINS & GAINS

Strong Mind + Strong Body = UNSTOPPABLE

csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by PBateman2 View Post
    Heavy and high intensity training (multiple sets; 8-10 rep range) focusing on compound movements will yield the most calorie expenditure - IMO.
    Logically, to me, this would seem to be the case. Compound lifts are almost always heavier than isolation exercises, and the distance that the weight is moved tends to be greater (squats, cleans, pullups). => Work = F X D.

Subjectively, I feel like I've done a lot more work after a heavy squat or deadlift workout vs. just about anything else. I'll be sweating a bunch more, in any event. I'd imagine those walking lunges are a killer, though, even without a whole lot of weight.
    Way more Xtreme Fitbitter than MissLadyJ or kureransu

MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by PBateman2 View Post
    Clean diet with a consistent calorie deficit is #1.

This. I train the same way I would on a bulk when I am cutting. I just eat less. That way, I prevent as much loss of muscle as I can.

jumpa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jumpa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jumpa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jumpa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jumpa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hi reps can help get rid of fat...

make sure the weight is extra light and do the reps extra fast. oh wait thats called cardio......................

kimoxxx is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kimoxxx is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kimoxxx is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kimoxxx is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kimoxxx is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kimoxxx is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kimoxxx is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kimoxxx is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kimoxxx is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kimoxxx is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kimoxxx is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    does it important while cutting to lift heavy or not?

MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000)
    does it important while cutting to lift heavy or not?
    Lifting with the same intensity that you do when you're not cutting helps preserve strength and muscle.

PirateFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) PirateFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) PirateFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) PirateFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) PirateFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) PirateFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) PirateFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) PirateFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) PirateFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) PirateFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) PirateFace is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Unless you're circuit training (body weight exercises for example) I see no reason why you wouldn't want to lift heavy to lose weight. Keep your protein levels high and you're home free.

does it differ from doing the whole body in 3 days means training the whole body twice a

week or training 1 muscle per days?

P70JRG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Good question.

I read lots of generic questions like this.

Let me try and give you some perceptive and situations to help you judge what you need to be doing.

1. How do you achieve fat loss? Eat less calories than your body requires, dont go mad c500 kcal per day, this way you shouldn't slow down your metabolism. Doing more exercise will allow you to eat more and will create a more athletic physique. Doing no exercise will make you look thin and ill.

2.How do you build muscle? Eat more calories than your body requires and lift weights, again dont eat to much or you will gain fat. If you add cardio, your gains will be slightly stunted, if you dont do cardio you will probably gain some fat.

Statement - if you look at question 1 and 2 - it explains why its best to have one goal. Either gain muscle of lose fat.

What makes things more complex is when you apply all of the above to different people. think body types.

Skinny guy (most common goal- increase size) - he will always find it hard to gain muscle. but will find it easy to stay lean/keep his body fat low. Answer. Eat loads, lift heavy all the time. It takes along time for these guys to put on any significant size. So if thats you, don't worry about fat loose for the time being, you shouldn't need to spend very long worrying about this. rep range 6-10 ,number of sets 4-5. big compound movements, followed by isolation movements. lift lift and keep lifting. keep protein intake high. there is no place for high reps in this chaps prog.

Average guy (most common goal i want to get a bit bigger but look ripped). 12 week program gaining muscle, 12 week program dropping fat. During the gaining phase things like 5x5, split sessions work well, but same principles apply as above in the skinny guy section (this guy will just naturally gain more than the skinny guy, thats life!). in the getting lean phase drop the number of sets to 3 and add in some cardio, still try and lift the same number of reps at the same weight, drop your calories. high reps would rarely be used.

Big guy ( I want to get lean, i dont mind about decreasing my size) this is where high reps have a place. Dropping fat for these guys is hard, and often they only have to look at a weight to start growing muscle. these types are often naturally strong. And doing things like running is really tough to the point where people get injured easily. However, by high reps what I would suggest is the following, select a compound movement, lets take a deadlift for example, lets say the athlete can 1rm 150kg, in this case you might say, the object is to deadlift 60-70 kg 50 times with as little rest as possible. Build a program around this principle whilst keeping the calories 500 below maintenance and the desired goal would be achieved.

STATEMENT-but when I do lots of reps i get a great pump and look bigger.

The above is true, when working in the 15-20 rep range I agree, but this pump is short lived and will not help you to gain muscle fast!

this is also why you see body builders doing high reps right before contest.

Statement - but i see lots of big, ripped guys doing high reps.

Answer - 9 times out of 10 they are on steroids. despite what people may say. if your on steroids you will gain muscle and drop fat regardless of workout routine/rep range. This has been proven on a number of occasions. working out effectively will just speed up the process.

Hope that helps you look at things in a different light. which guy are you?