ChicoBox has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChicoBox has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Question About Carbs, Bulking And Fat Loss (pre-workout and post-workout meals/shake)

Hi,

I've been doing quite a bit of research on the topic and I want to try to come to a conclusion.

Right now, I'm bulking, so the theory I seem to have retained is:

- Before the workout, I take a little protein shake with sugar and a little sodium.
    I'd do that so my body uses the glycogen as energy sources instead of fat (including muscle mass which I don't want).
    I add in a little sodium because I read something about sodium and cortisol in which when sodium is depleted,
    it can trigger cortisol or something like that.

- After the workout I take a protein shake with some sugar in it (perhaps a bit less than pre-workout?).

Ps.: workout lasts about 1-1.5 hour.
    Also, I eat well throughout the whole day too, mostly lean meat + complex carbs (oatmeal, bread, pasta, but still none of these a few hours before bed).

If I want to cut (try to retain as much muscle mass as possible + lose as much fat as possible...) I'm thinking about:
    - Before the workout, a little protein.

Workout = muscle-building cardio (very intense circuits that work all the body, lasting about 20 minutes).
    By doing that, since my muscles are being used I think my body would be stupid to use muscle as energy source,
    so perhaps it would use fat, but I'm not sure which I lose first, fat or muscles, or a little of both?

- Post workout: Protein shake

For cutting I'd also don't eat much carbs throughout the day, but keep my proteins up.

Would be really appreciated if you could share your insights on this topic.

Thanks
    Last edited by ChicoBox; 01-24-2012 at 05:23 PM.

ChicoBox has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChicoBox has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    What do you people do anyway when bulking / cutting for your preworkout/postworkout shakes and meals?

bump

nosix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nosix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nosix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nosix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nosix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nosix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nosix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nosix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nosix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nosix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nosix has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Ya I read a lot man that's why I came to the conclusions in my initial post, just want to make sure it's quite right and that some people had great results with it. I see many theories being used and complained about.

vitornoob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vitornoob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vitornoob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vitornoob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vitornoob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vitornoob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vitornoob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vitornoob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vitornoob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vitornoob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vitornoob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ChicoBox View Post
    Ya I read a lot man that's why I came to the conclusions in my initial post, just want to make sure it's quite right and that some people had great results with it. I see many theories being used and complained about.
    No, you didn't
    *Hollywood's rabid cage crew*

Bulking log -> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145653801

Skizoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skizoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skizoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skizoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skizoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skizoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skizoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skizoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skizoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skizoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skizoman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Stop worrying about pre/post workout nutrition --> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=123915821
    Meal timing is largely irrelevant.
    Did you actually just call your muscles stupid?
    ==Juggernaut Group==
    http://groups.bodybuilding.com/i_am_juggernaut

I'll be satisfied when I'm dead.

Ok thanks Skizo.

And yes vitornoob, I did, else I wouldn't have been able to write my initial post and make some sense.
    So for now what I'm going to do is just do what I wrote in my initial post anyway, doesn't seem over the board.

Thanks

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ChicoBox View Post
    , doesn't seem over the board.

Thanks
    Really? Lol

Seems extremely manipulated to me and overboard, however ideally it's best to do what works for YOU so give it a try
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321

I think it could be well-thought, but the only "supplement" I'm using there are proteins

I'm kinda doing some tests with what has worked with other people too, I'm gonna add creatine in a few weeks to see how much more I can gain with it.

Thanks all