lonniemiligan is on a distinguished road. (+10)

nagging squat injury - any advice?

About 6 weeks ago I started noticing pain in my groin when I squat. It may have coincided with my first attempt at a sumo deadlift stance the day before (although the weight was modest it was after three taxing sets of conventional deadlift). I've tried more narrow and more wide stances and nothing seems to help. The pain is half way between the very front of the quad and the very middle (where the two legs touch). I only experience the pain when coming out of the hole just above parallel. It doesn't interfere with leg press and I can do a "kind of" squat on the smith machine with my feet placed a bit forward (like a hack squat, I would fall without the bar to push back against). There is no pain when squatting unweighted and through the first warm up set. It's only when I get to about 50% of my max (225ish) that I start feeling the pain. The pain is sharp.

Any advice?

My primary goal currently is to loose the abundant fat I carry, but I would very much like to not loose all the strength I've worked hard to get either.

I appreciate your help in advance!

ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    where is the pain? why type of pain?

Originally Posted by ToPHeR35 View Post
    where is the pain? why type of pain?
    a vauge soreness when I'm just sitting around but when I'm just clearing parallel coming up there is a sharp pain on my right side. 1 1/2 inches down from the hip joint. If you drew a line from the top of the quad to the "ABC" it would be half way, but 1 1/2-2 inches lower on the leg.

Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    No pain when doing any internal rotation/external rotation of the hip? What if you use the muscles in your leg to rotate rather than someone else performing the test?

Not sure exactly where your pain is, does it look like it is coming from the TFL?

Originally Posted by Gwybodaeth View Post
    No pain when doing any internal rotation/external rotation of the hip? What if you use the muscles in your leg to rotate rather than someone else performing the test?

Not sure exactly where your pain is, does it look like it is coming from the TFL?
    No, it's on the inside... meaning (I'm sorry) where an average ball sack contacts the thigh when you run naked through a field.

I tried a very narrow stance tonight and kept it to 275# and it was OK. Maybe I wasn't going narrow enough before. I don't think I can push as much as before in that stance and I couldn't get to parallel but it was better than a kick in the pants.