Rydog5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation Hockey, recovery, weight gain, and speed.

I am 16 and going to be a senior this upcoming school year. i could play junior a hockey but dont have the speed. I recently had surgery on my posterior labrum because it was torn in a game, and i start pt next week. i weigh 140 and im looking to gain 40-50lbs before im ready to compete at a higher level as well. i need help in a training program that allows me to gain weight, speed, and strength. And ways i can do it without reinjuring my shoulder. im doing pt for a month for 2-3x a week and will ask my pt about weight training.

Coaches have told me to jump rope, best way to gain speed. Any truth to that?

Also, any supplements that could help WITHOUT damaging by body. I was taking Whey Protein for about a month before the injury and i didnt see much in result. should i have seen any or too short to tell?

Strength is also a huge part considering im only 5'5 too.. facing guys that are a lot bigger has never had an effect but they are stronger. Any ways to improve by the upcoming season that starts in sept?

If you reply, can you also tell me how you know what youre telling me is true

Jb25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Supplement wise during the season i used a weight gainer because of all the calories burned through practice and the gym. I also used a preworkout especially if I lifted after practice. Just out of curiosity what junior teams you lookin at?

labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Rydog, IMO you should research some of the trainers & gyms around where you live. I do not think you are going to get the specific help you need from this site.

Originally Posted by Jb25 View Post
    Supplement wise during the season i used a weight gainer because of all the calories burned through practice and the gym. I also used a preworkout especially if I lifted after practice. Just out of curiosity what junior teams you lookin at?
    I am playing junior b right now for this season cuz i wasnt able to make it to any skates for junior a teams. my coach was offering me a spot on a team outta minnesota next year. also im gonna skate with a CHL team if i get healthy enough by the end of the summer.

Originally Posted by labradarep View Post
    Rydog, IMO you should research some of the trainers & gyms around where you live. I do not think you are going to get the specific help you need from this site.
    why might i not get the info i need? just out of curiosity.
    would you know of ways to get the answers im looking for at all? being 16, it is hard to get stuff out of gyms around here because they are mostly private

If your looking for a specific example of a hokey workout I can send you my summer workout packet so you can get a feel for some exercises

Originally Posted by Jb25 View Post
    If your looking for a specific example of a hokey workout I can send you my summer workout packet so you can get a feel for some exercises
    yeah i would really appreciate that.

Originally Posted by Rydog5 View Post
    yeah i would really appreciate that.
    Pm me your email address and I'll send it to ya.

101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    OK,

I have spent a number of summers working in strength and conditioning with an elite NHL team (Presidents cup and western conference finals) as well as knowing the strength coach of a stanley cup championship team. Following is the template that both teams use with their athletes (ranging from 18yrs old to future HOFers)

Here is, roughly, the template that those I know follow:

Foam roll
    dynamic warm up with prehab

plyometrics 1-2 exercises 3-5x3-5 Alternate linear day (altitude drops, depth jumps,) with a lateral day (heidens, etc)

Speed - preparatory sprint work working towards sprints

Conditioning - Tempo Runs or bike intervals

core 2-3 exercises

Weights

Day 1
    Explosive lift
    2 leg squat
    Chin
    bent knee hamstring (GHR)
    Row

Day 2
    Explosive lift
    straight leg hamstring
    Bench
    1 leg squat
    shoulder press

Stretch down - dynamic to static

Then you program the weights and sprints/conditioning based on the goal of the training block.

So a strength block would be heavier lifting, power block could include the WSB dynamic effort method and olympics. Conditioning would be supersets/complexes with reps in the 8 range. The use of charles stayleys EDT is great in a conditioning block. Be warned that in a conditioning block the explosive lift is still trained explosively and is not complexed so that explosive strength and power are maintained through the explosive block.

Also most hockey camps require great conditioning. I would use my last block as a conditioning block so you play at a high level without running out of gas.

The guys train 4x/week alternating day 1 and 2

Again the template is pretty similar throughout the off season, just the methods, sets, and reps change throughout. to accommodate the goals of the training block

you will need to adjust the upper body exercises to meet the needs of your shoulder.

Hockey speed is not developed with a jump rope. Sorry, the ground contact time in the jump rope is far less than in a skating stride. You need strength and explosive strength which will be developed with the lifting, explosive strength exercise, and plyos. In addition short accelerations and agility drills will help you too. Especially stopping and starting your feet like when on the PK. These would fit into the conditioning portion of the workout

I hope this helps you a bit.
    For more sports training information stop by my website at http://www.evolutionaryathletics.com

Originally Posted by 101pro View Post
    OK,

I have spent a number of summers working in strength and conditioning with an elite NHL team (Presidents cup and western conference finals) as well as knowing the strength coach of a stanley cup championship team. Following is the template that both teams use with their athletes (ranging from 18yrs old to future HOFers)

Here is, roughly, the template that those I know follow:

Foam roll
    dynamic warm up with prehab

plyometrics 1-2 exercises 3-5x3-5 Alternate linear day (altitude drops, depth jumps,) with a lateral day (heidens, etc)

Speed - preparatory sprint work working towards sprints

Conditioning - Tempo Runs or bike intervals

core 2-3 exercises

Weights

Day 1
    Explosive lift
    2 leg squat
    Chin
    bent knee hamstring (GHR)
    Row

Day 2
    Explosive lift
    straight leg hamstring
    Bench
    1 leg squat
    shoulder press

Stretch down - dynamic to static

Then you program the weights and sprints/conditioning based on the goal of the training block.

So a strength block would be heavier lifting, power block could include the WSB dynamic effort method and olympics. Conditioning would be supersets/complexes with reps in the 8 range. The use of charles stayleys EDT is great in a conditioning block. Be warned that in a conditioning block the explosive lift is still trained explosively and is not complexed so that explosive strength and power are maintained through the explosive block.

Also most hockey camps require great conditioning. I would use my last block as a conditioning block so you play at a high level without running out of gas.

The guys train 4x/week alternating day 1 and 2

Again the template is pretty similar throughout the off season, just the methods, sets, and reps change throughout. to accommodate the goals of the training block

you will need to adjust the upper body exercises to meet the needs of your shoulder.

Hockey speed is not developed with a jump rope. Sorry, the ground contact time in the jump rope is far less than in a skating stride. You need strength and explosive strength which will be developed with the lifting, explosive strength exercise, and plyos. In addition short accelerations and agility drills will help you too. Especially stopping and starting your feet like when on the PK. These would fit into the conditioning portion of the workout

I hope this helps you a bit.
    thank you a lot. if i were to combine another workout template with the one you gave me, would that be beneficial or if i went just strictly by this?

101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 101pro is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Rydog5 View Post
    thank you a lot. if i were to combine another workout template with the one you gave me, would that be beneficial or if i went just strictly by this?
    The template outlined covers everything. conditioning, speed, strength, power, reactivity, flexibility, mobillity. nothing is left out. If you want to add anything, you can do some beach work (curls, flys, triceps, etc) for 10-15 min.
    For more sports training information stop by my website at http://www.evolutionaryathletics.com

Originally Posted by 101pro View Post
    The template outlined covers everything. conditioning, speed, strength, power, reactivity, flexibility, mobillity. nothing is left out. If you want to add anything, you can do some beach work (curls, flys, triceps, etc) for 10-15 min.
    alright, thank you.

usahockey23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) usahockey23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) usahockey23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) usahockey23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) usahockey23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) usahockey23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) usahockey23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) usahockey23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) usahockey23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) usahockey23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) usahockey23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    plyos will play a huge part in helping your game.

i was in the same situation as you were OP. I was cut by my midget team,trained all summer and made a junior team by the end of august.

most of my progress came from doing plyos,lifting, and skating on a hockey treadmill...if i were you i would see if there are any sport specific training centers in your area.
    LEO

Originally Posted by usahockey23 View Post
    plyos will play a huge part in helping your game.

i was in the same situation as you were OP. I was cut by my midget team,trained all summer and made a junior team by the end of august.

most of my progress came from doing plyos,lifting, and skating on a hockey treadmill...if i were you i would see if there are any sport specific training centers in your area.
    around us there are no sport specific centers.

I am going to start plyos with my workout routine i got from a Junior A team.

Hopefully ill find the results im looking for.