Rolli_Rob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rolli_Rob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rolli_Rob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rolli_Rob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rolli_Rob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rolli_Rob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rolli_Rob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rolli_Rob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rolli_Rob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rolli_Rob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rolli_Rob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Plateau - please help! Build muscle or lose fat or what?

Hi

This is my first post here. I've been using the same exercise program for about 6 months now, and it's worked really well, but lately I've been told to change it...

I am disabled, and was in hospital for a long time - so I got really fat, and my muscles wasted away. When I was discharged in 2006, I was almost 20 stone (280lbs) and 40% body fat. I'm about 16 stone now (222lbs at my last weigh-in) and I've almost halved my body fat to 22%.

I try to wake up at 7:30, have plenty of cold water with a fat burner then do 617 kcal (6*617=3702 - 1lb fat = 3,700 kcal) worth (takes me between 45 and 90 minutes) on my exercise on my exercise bike.

Although I'm a wheelchair user, I don't have a spinal cord injury at all, so all my limbs work, giving me the ability to use a small exercise bike.

I also use a heart-rate monitor strap (HRM) to measure how many calories I burn, as I find the calories display on most exercise equipment is based on what the average, able-bodied man burns, and aren't good indicators for how many calories I have burnt.

I then have my breakfast which normally consists of porridge with a spoonful of Nutella (only 80 kcal for a 15 gram tablespoon - which is quite a lot of Nutella!) mixed in to sweeten it up, a whey protein shake (I currently use the mint-choc flavor variety of MyProtein's Total Protein XS). I also have a mug of green tea as most sports nutrition companies charge a lot more for a little green tea extract added to their products (green tea is a good thermogen), and is only £1-2 from any major supermarket for a box of 20 tea bags! One more Thermobol, as well.

Two hours later, I have some more whey protein, then do some resistance work (either a variety of sit-ups to work my stomach muscles, or press-ups/dumbell exercises (increasing reps or weight used each month, and rotating the order I do the exercises in, make it harder for my body to adapt, to work my shoulders and upper arms). I do one of the two muscle groups one day, then the other the next day, giving my muscles time to recover and grow before being worked again.

Again, two hours later, I have lunch - normally just a seasoned chicken breast, some salad, my last Thermobol of the day, and, yes, more green tea.

Two hours later, more whey protein, and, after that, another cardio session (same as I do before breakfast).

Two more hours, and another protein shake. Two hours after that, dinner (chicken breast, seasoned, and some vegetables on the side). Then some more green tea.

Two hours after dinner, another protein shake, then a slow-release protein drink before bed (casein, or MyProtein's Bedtime Extreme, which I use).

With this diet, I consume 1,778 kcal (plus vegetables, which vary in calorific value, and so cannot be measured easily). This leaves plenty of room for some extra 'treats', and still lose weight.

However, I've been advised lately NOT to try and burn fat AND try to build muscle, as these are completely different and opposing goals. I've recently had to stop exercising for this week, as I've had a new tattoo done and you shouldn't do anything to make you sweat until the wound is healed. Therefore, now is the perfect time to review my régime.

So, is the above routine OK, or should I alter it? Am I at a stage now where I can't lose weight and keep building muscle? If so, which should I concentrate on first - losing weight, or building muscle?

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Congratulations on the transformation.

Kudos for the attitude.

I have to ask, how disabled are you, if your spine is OK? Will you be able to walk, climb a stair, do bodyweight squats etc, long term?

At this stage, when your BF is at a much healthier level, I'd aim for muscle gain. More muscle increases your metabolism, and burns more calories, even when sitting or lying around. So it makes it easier to get lean.

Rolli_Rob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rolli_Rob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rolli_Rob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rolli_Rob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rolli_Rob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rolli_Rob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rolli_Rob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rolli_Rob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rolli_Rob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rolli_Rob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rolli_Rob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

TY - I had a brain tumor, so all my limbs work, but my brain can't make the calculation for me to balance and walk. I do DB exercises from the chair, transfer onto the exercise bike for that, get on the floor to do press-ups and crunches, and can transfer onto any seat on a machine, or a bench for things like BB presses or DB fly's. I don't use stairs if I can help it, but sometimes the lift (elevator) is out of order, so I just climb onto the floor and crawl up the stairs and a friend takes my wheelchair up the stairs without me in it.

Thanx again, but I've just been to the doctor's and he confirmed what I was thinking - 22.7% is not a healthy body fat percentage. It's just above the highest extreme of the healthy band - I'll get down a bit more first. I'm working on converting Kelly Baggett's routine for me (see thread: kelly baggett - build muscle and lose fat? - sorry can't post links yet)

Rob