Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pistol Squats

supmuhhumbruh is on a distinguished road. (+10) supmuhhumbruh is on a distinguished road. (+10) supmuhhumbruh is on a distinguished road. (+10) supmuhhumbruh is on a distinguished road. (+10) supmuhhumbruh is on a distinguished road. (+10) supmuhhumbruh is on a distinguished road. (+10) supmuhhumbruh is on a distinguished road. (+10) supmuhhumbruh is on a distinguished road. (+10) supmuhhumbruh is on a distinguished road. (+10) supmuhhumbruh is on a distinguished road. (+10) supmuhhumbruh is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Pistol Squats

Anyone on here do pistol squats? If not here's a tutorial for them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8rqmlqrx-U . They are one of my favorite lower body exercises, let me know what you think of the video
    Pat Flynn - RKC
    http://www.abs-science.com
    http://www.chroniclesofstrength.com

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    How many of your videos are you going to spam in a way everyone can detect?
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

supmuhhumbruh is on a distinguished road. (+10) supmuhhumbruh is on a distinguished road. (+10) supmuhhumbruh is on a distinguished road. (+10) supmuhhumbruh is on a distinguished road. (+10) supmuhhumbruh is on a distinguished road. (+10) supmuhhumbruh is on a distinguished road. (+10) supmuhhumbruh is on a distinguished road. (+10) supmuhhumbruh is on a distinguished road. (+10) supmuhhumbruh is on a distinguished road. (+10) supmuhhumbruh is on a distinguished road. (+10) supmuhhumbruh is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post
    How many of your videos are you going to spam in a way everyone can detect?
    Offering video tutorials and asking for feedback isn't spam. I'm not selling anything to anyone. Noone is making you watch the video
    Pat Flynn - RKC

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    A bodybuilder's time is better-spent doing Barbell Squats, Leg Presses, Machine Hacks, Lunges, Stiff-leg and Romanian Deadlifts, and Leg Curls, IMO.
    No brain, no gain.

You can't out-train bad nutrition.

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym---updated pics:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Workout Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    A bodybuilder's time is better-spent doing Barbell Squats, Leg Presses, Machine Hacks, Lunges, Stiff-leg and Romanian Deadlifts, and Leg Curls, IMO.
    I would definitely agree with you, but if you are out of town and/or without equipment, pistol squats are perfect. I personally just like to grease the groove with them throughout the day, they have actually helped me get my squat and deadlift numbers up as well, especially since I started doing them with weight. A great complimentary exercise, but not a substitute for barbell squats by any means
    Pat Flynn - RKC

FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I do not believe my jacked up knees would allow me to come anywhere near the completion of that exercise...so no...and you video was good, i think, my sound was off...but I saw the actual exercise finally...
    FAO

Stay Healthy...

im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I appreciate putting the exercise first. There are 3 things that I want to do and I'll have basically satisified most if not all my atheltic goals if I reach them...

(1) pistol squat

(2) Kneeling Jump Squats like this:

(3) be able to jump out of a pool like this:

I can do these to a degree, but once I master these then I would have truly made it

Crazy Polack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crazy Polack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crazy Polack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crazy Polack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crazy Polack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crazy Polack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crazy Polack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crazy Polack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crazy Polack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crazy Polack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I wish I had the flexibility for that!

But damn, looks like that guy's chest muscles are suuuper tight, look how far forward his shoulders come with his posture.

Originally Posted by Crazy Polack View Post
    I wish I had the flexibility for that!

But damn, looks like that guy's chest muscles are suuuper tight, look how far forward his shoulders come with his posture.
    Hey Crazy Polack, a lot of times it is flexibility that limits one's ability to do the pistol squat, not strength. A few things you can do is work on hip flexor stretches like the frog strech and runners stretch, as well as calf stretches. I have found that it either tight calves or hip flexors that prevent people from doing pistol squats. And thanks for the compliments on my physique, I attribute my shoulders and chest muscles almost entirely to kettlebell presses and work on olympic rings. I rarely do bench presses or anything of that sort. Good luck!
    Pat Flynn - RKC

Originally Posted by im2manly View Post
    I appreciate putting the exercise first. There are 3 things that I want to do and I'll have basically satisified most if not all my atheltic goals if I reach them...

(1) pistol squat

I can do these to a degree, but once I master these then I would have truly made it
    All three of those are great goals. I wish you the best of luck on accomplishing them!
    Pat Flynn - RKC

seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by im2manly View Post

(1) pistol squat

Last two are pretty sick. I imagine the pool jump is like a weighted 5ft box jump?
    ^this

But pistols are pretty cool. Before I started lifting hardcore, i would do bw exercises like pistols, and i got pretty good at pistols. But now i suck at them. It's more about technique/practice/balance than strength.
    Btw OP, ur really into bodyweight and alternative exercises huh? Why dont u do traditional workouts?

Originally Posted by seanthebeast View Post
    Last two are pretty sick. I imagine the pool jump is like a weighted 5ft box jump?

^this

But pistols are pretty cool. Before I started lifting hardcore, i would do bw exercises like pistols, and i got pretty good at pistols. But now i suck at them. It's more about technique/practice/balance than strength.
    Btw OP, ur really into bodyweight and alternative exercises huh? Why dont u do traditional workouts?
    Hey Sean, yes I am more into bodyweight and unconventional exercises. My favorite tool to use is the kettlebell, but I guess I'm probably a little biased since I'm RKC. The reason I don't do traditional barbell/bodybuilding types of programs is because I am not a bodybuilder. I am a kettlebell instructor, martial arts instructor, and personal trainer. I am more focused around performance, more so than aesthetics, and that is why I choose to work mostly with kettlebells, olympic lifting, bodyweight exercises, and some other unconventional methods. These have just worked best for me, but everyone is different and to each his own.
    Pat Flynn - RKC

Just gives you an idea of just how crazy you can get with them, without even adding weight. pretty cool stuff
    Pat Flynn - RKC

desolator1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) desolator1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) desolator1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) desolator1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) desolator1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) desolator1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) desolator1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) desolator1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) desolator1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) desolator1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) desolator1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by supmuhhumbruh View Post
    Hey Sean, yes I am more into bodyweight and unconventional exercises. My favorite tool to use is the kettlebell, but I guess I'm probably a little biased since I'm RKC. The reason I don't do traditional barbell/bodybuilding types of programs is because I am not a bodybuilder. I am a kettlebell instructor, martial arts instructor, and personal trainer. I am more focused around performance, more so than aesthetics, and that is why I choose to work mostly with kettlebells, olympic lifting, bodyweight exercises, and some other unconventional methods. These have just worked best for me, but everyone is different and to each his own.
    Yes but this is a bodybuilding forum...

seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by desolator1 View Post
    Yes but this is a bodybuilding forum...
    Alot of ppl on here arent bb'ers. Well most ppl in this section are i think.

But theres lots of ppl just interested in strength, functional stuff, fitness, looking better, powerlifting, etc

theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by supmuhhumbruh View Post

Just gives you an idea of just how crazy you can get with them, without even adding weight. pretty cool stuff
    Man I wish I could be as cool as that guy.

Screw bodybuilding workouts, I'm going to start doing these right away!

Come on, gang!
    the crew that poop poop poops crews crew
    ω

Squats do a body good! musicianman's Avatar
    musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I can do pistol squats, but they're hard as ****. Great exercise that really strengthens the LCL, judging from where I felt it most when I started doing them.
    Training, philosophy, nutrition and biomedical discussion (2.0): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146797403

Video log:
    www.YouTube.com/Frootlups

Gamereaper74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gamereaper74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gamereaper74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gamereaper74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gamereaper74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gamereaper74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gamereaper74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gamereaper74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gamereaper74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gamereaper74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gamereaper74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Alot of ppl on here arent bb'ers. Well most ppl in this section are i think.

But theres lots of ppl just interested in strength, functional stuff, fitness, looking better, powerlifting, etc
    Most people on this site dont even lift...

To op, if these videos are a referance source for clients, I would probably try to cut out the swearing. Just get into the habit of using words like glutes. Otherwise nice work.

Originally Posted by Gamereaper74 View Post

To op, if these videos are a referance source for clients, I would probably try to cut out the swearing. Just get into the habit of using words like glutes. Otherwise nice work.
    Lol @ ur post.
    Most people dont lift but their big three total is 1500.
    Bench 500
    1/4 squat 750
    Curl 250

Gamereaper74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gamereaper74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gamereaper74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gamereaper74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gamereaper74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gamereaper74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gamereaper74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gamereaper74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gamereaper74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gamereaper74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gamereaper74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Lol @ ur post.
    Bench 500
    1/4 squat 750
    Curl 250
    Thats with the rib cage bounce technique right?

Originally Posted by musicality213 View Post
    I can do pistol squats, but they're hard as ****. Great exercise that really strengthens the LCL, judging from where I felt it most when I started doing them.
    Your absolutely right, they are an incredible knee strengthening exercise
    Pat Flynn - RKC

Thanks for the feedback, and your right, swearing does come off as unprofessional and I do my best not to, but sometimes it just slips out and I'm just too lazy to redo the whole video to change one word, especially if I'm in a hurry
    Pat Flynn - RKC

turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I can do these easily, but they hurt my knees, so I've stopped.

Tsaadon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Looks like a very nice exercise, thanks for posting the vid.

Originally Posted by Tsaadon View Post
    Looks like a very nice exercise, thanks for posting the vid.
    Anytime thanks for watching
    Pat Flynn - RKC

brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    A bodybuilder's time is better-spent doing Barbell Squats, Leg Presses, Machine Hacks, Lunges, Stiff-leg and Romanian Deadlifts, Leg Curls, Reading comic books, looking at porn, grocery shopping, 'batin, driving, sailing, baking, snorting coke, free basing coke, eating twinkies, or doing just about anything. Anything at all. Whatever you want.
    Fixed to show just how much muscle I think pistol squats help build.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by brudman View Post
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

Lol @ ur post.
    Bench 500
    1/4 squat 750
    Curl 250
    Thats with the rib cage bounce technique right?
    Of course. I forgot to clarify, but the curl employs the advanced reverse clean jerk technique to get the lower back and glutes really involved.
    How to curl:

Don't forget to ask 18 people to spot u while u quarter squat... u wouldnt want to accidentally drop below 25 degrees..
    Last edited by seanthebeast; 06-23-2010 at 01:15 PM.

FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I was hoping for actual pistol use during this exercise but i guess you cant have everything...
    FAO

Stay Healthy...

http://assets.bodybuilding.com/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

Originally Posted by brudman View Post
    Saying **** like that just makes you look ignorant, which is the last thing you want to go along side you being fat
    Pat Flynn - RKC