asphalt690 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) asphalt690 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) asphalt690 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) asphalt690 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) asphalt690 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) asphalt690 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Knee pain only while sitting

While sitting for moderate amounts of time (in class, on the train, etc.) my knees start to hurt, and it only gets increasingly worse as time passes. The only thing that really stops it is if I stand or walk around, and then the pain will dissipate. It gets so unbearable some times that I'm forced to do this. This has been going on/off for about 2 weeks now. Squats and running seem to precede the days that this happens.

Does anyone else have experience with this or know what's going on?

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by asphalt690 View Post
    While sitting for moderate amounts of time (in class, on the train, etc.) my knees start to hurt, and it only gets increasingly worse as time passes. The only thing that really stops it is if I stand or walk around, and then the pain will dissipate. It gets so unbearable some times that I'm forced to do this. This has been going on/off for about 2 weeks now. Squats and running seem to precede the days that this happens.

Does anyone else have experience with this or know what's going on?
    Search for information on chondromalacia patella or other similar issues.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

aunrhen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aunrhen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've also had this problem for more than half a year now, usually the most painful for a few days following leg day. There'd be a sharp pain in my right knee after 15-20 minutes while sitting with my knee bent and I'd have to straighten it out to relieve the pain. It wasn't until recently until I started to be more proactive about fixing the problem.

These things have really helped me recently:
    1. Ice - I put a pack of ice on my knee for about 20 minutes 3 times/day, helps reduce inflammation which was likely what's causing the pain
    2. Stretching the quads (The quads are attached to the top of the patella) - I would kneel down and lay back while extending the hips, feeling the stretch in my quads, doing this for minutes many times/day
    3. It was obvious that working out legs simply aggravated the pain, so I took a couple weeks off.

It's been about a month since I started my "treatment" and the pain has reduced significantly. I just worked out legs yesterday and although the dayafter pain is still there, when bent it feels like a really small ache that's completely bearable instead of before.

asphalt690 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) asphalt690 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) asphalt690 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) asphalt690 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) asphalt690 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) asphalt690 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't think that it's chondromalacia patella.
    I'll see how icing and stretching work for me, since I don't really do either.

endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000)
    do these too:

I would put the band above the back of the knee though
    Everything I post is my opinion. However my opinion is based upon things I have done, seen or implemented with others.

You can take it or leave it. After all...you are entitled to your own opinion

viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i have that too but i don't really know what causes it. do you do squats? what's your form like? i remember getting trouble from the staff at a symphony because i just HAD to get up because of the sheer pain in my knees. Also happens randomly on car trips. the funny thing about it is straightening your leg out a bit so that it is bent at even ~30 degrees does nothing to alleviate the pain. it's either you completely straighten out the leg or nothing.

ever since i started doing back squats FULLY atg the pain has largely dissipated although it flares up every now and then (with less and less frequency).

endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by viperjax View Post
    i have that too but i don't really know what causes it. do you do squats? what's your form like? i remember getting trouble from the staff at a symphony because i just HAD to get up because of the sheer pain in my knees. Also happens randomly on car trips. the funny thing about it is straightening your leg out a bit so that it is bent at even ~30 degrees does nothing to alleviate the pain. it's either you completely straighten out the leg or nothing.

ever since i started doing back squats FULLY atg the pain has largely dissipated although it flares up every now and then (with less and less frequency).
    When you ATG squat you involve more VMO and Glute med. This helps the tracking of the patella...which sometimes helps the problem
    Everything I post is my opinion. However my opinion is based upon things I have done, seen or implemented with others.

That's an interesting video... especially since I'm working on becoming a PT :P
    I found this off of wikipedia, in reference to the VM-oblique:
    "Often medical and other allied health practitioners suggest improving the strength and/or activation of this muscle as a strategy in the treatment of Patello-femoral Pain Syndrome - sometimes called runner's knee."
    So this looks like good advice. I'll see how it works.

About squatting form- I always try to go just past parallel. I really should watch my form better at the end of those last intense reps, though....

Originally Posted by asphalt690 View Post
    That's an interesting video... especially since I'm working on becoming a PT :P
    I found this off of wikipedia, in reference to the VM-oblique:
    "Often medical and other allied health practitioners suggest improving the strength and/or activation of this muscle as a strategy in the treatment of Patello-femoral Pain Syndrome - sometimes called runner's knee."
    So this looks like good advice. I'll see how it works.

About squatting form- I always try to go just past parallel. I really should watch my form better at the end of those last intense reps, though....
    Its not about depth in squats, or knees over toes. Its about pressure and where the pressure is directed...as well as muscle balance.

People squat with the pressure directed towards the front of the foot, sending forces to the knee as opposed to the hip.

Also shallow squats cause over development of VL and under development of VM and VMO cause the patella to track wrong

Tsaadon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I also have the exact same problem.. started recently after about a month of starting to do squats, I'm pretty sure my form is good, had a few people check it out and said I'm doing good and I can also feel how the pressure goes to the thighs and not the knees, would also love any idea on what to do for this problem.

mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    guys

to feel pain after a workout is not unusual where there's a tendonopathy happening.

at this point it's not about good form or not of continuing to do stuff; it's about backing off, getting a diagnosis and getting into some good rehab.

ice is about numbing sensation; compression is about bringing down inflammation and if there's a tendon issue, stretching can make things worse until the inflammation is down.

SO

go see your doc to get a diagnosis and then you can take action.
    mc