OJSampson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Utilizing Rest Periods to Stretch

Recently I have been following a program with rest periods between 2-3 minutes. I have a lot of tightness in my hips, legs, and groin regions so I thought it would be a good idea to utilize my rest periods on upper body days to stretch my lower body.

I know there has been studys showing decreased strength when you do static stretches on muscles before you train them, but I wonder if my idea would be detrimental to my training in anyway since I'm stretching non working muscles. Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This is reasonable, as you are not stretching any muscles which would be weak links in your current lifts.

Hiding from ForumNature 400Lb Gorilla's Avatar
    400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by JasonDB View Post
    This is reasonable, as you are not stretching any muscles which would be weak links in your current lifts.
    i would have to agree if you are bench pressing or hitting rows i dont see it being a problem to get some leg stretching in there. the only thing that i could see giving you difficulties(though unlikely) is if you deadlift on upper body day.
    You would be surprised just how much time I have to waste.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    ^ What they said. As long as you are stretching muscles you arent using that day, have a blast.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

Tsaadon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I always stretch between sets, it's part of my recovery, my lifts go way down when I don't stretch properly.

closser45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) closser45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) closser45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) closser45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) closser45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) closser45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) closser45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) closser45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) closser45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) closser45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) closser45 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I read in i think arnolds encyclopedia that when you stretch the antagonistic muscles to your current exercise it can actually benefit you creating a better contraction in the target muscles. Say if you are doing rows and you stretch your pectorals you will be able to bring your arms futher back and thus contract the muscles of the back more effectively.
    360x3/220x3/400x4

seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by OJSampson View Post
    I know there has been studys showing decreased strength when you do static stretches on muscles before you train them,
    wait wut..? is this true? cant believe it just cuz "study" said it was true.
    Originally Posted by Tsaadon View Post
    I always stretch between sets, it's part of my recovery, my lifts go way down when I don't stretch properly.
    ^this is what i do. I see lots of other guys doing pec stretches in between bench sets. I stretch legs in between squats. Same with arms, pretty much everything. Am I the only one who doesnt realize this is bad?

call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I won't do static stretching but I will do either dynamic stretches or corrective ROM exercises before each set. Usually 4-6 quick stretches.
    -Train outside your physical and mental comfort zone.

-The more you sweat in practice, the less you will bleed in battle.

-The skeleton of my workouts: 1) Foam roll/tennis ball. 2) mobility/corrective exercises.
    3) scapular, core and hip activation, 4) dynamic warm up. 5) Lift. 6) Energy System Training. 7) Stretch.

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by seanthebeast View Post
    wait wut..? is this true? cant believe it just cuz "study" said it was true.

^this is what i do. I see lots of other guys doing pec stretches in between bench sets. I stretch legs in between squats. Same with arms, pretty much everything. Am I the only one who doesnt realize this is bad?
    120 lbs and 155 lbs saying that something works very well for them even though studies have show it to be counterproductive... and one quoting the other. The blind leading the blind...

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    120 lbs and 155 lbs saying that something works very well for them even though studies have show it to be counterproductive... and one quoting the other. The blind leading the blind...
    Yeah, I wouldn't do much leg stretching in between sets of bench and stuff. Stretching promotes blood flow to the bp being stretched, and that means blood must be withdrawn from where you are NOT stretching.
    Time To Re-Schedule

CometMebru has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CometMebru has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CometMebru has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CometMebru has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CometMebru has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CometMebru has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CometMebru has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CometMebru has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CometMebru has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CometMebru has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CometMebru has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    this..

i have to stretch my legs the day after a leg session because its just too sore otherwise.

seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanthebeast will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well thanks for getting me interested in stretching. I just took a little time to do some research on static vs dynamic stretching. THere are lots of studies and sites saying that static stretching reduces strength. Then i search the forums, and seems like ppl are divided on the benefits of static stretching. I've always done it, and its commonly seen at my gym. DOesn't mean its right. Does this just mean that everyone who does them before lifting is ignorant? Is this an opinion, or is it established that static = bad?

I can't get a decisive answer, no one agrees.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Long bouts of static stretching during your lifts, can weaken your muscles. a tighter muscle contracts stronger, stretching loosens a muscle.

Stretch your target muscles the night before if you want to static stretch. OTherwise, stick to doing "yesterday's muscle" during your workouts.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -

Okay once again, no definitive answer on this. Would it be alright to static after a workout? More importantly, does static even help? Its not like i have an OCD to do statics, so if it wont benefit me i wont. Just got back from workout and didnt do a single static. The studies are saying static doesnt do much.

im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Okay once again, no definitive answer on this. Would it be alright to static after a workout? More importantly, does static even help? Its not like i have an OCD to do statics, so if it wont benefit me i wont. Just got back from workout and didnt do a single static. The studies are saying static doesnt do much.
    I would do dynamic stretches before working out and I wouldn't stretch between sets. I see static stretches as a tool that can mostly aid in flexibility.

notorius1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) notorius1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) notorius1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) notorius1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) notorius1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) notorius1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) notorius1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) notorius1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) notorius1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) notorius1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) notorius1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I say stretch if it feels right to YOU. If you have tightness, stretch it out. This is your body. Not one person here can tell you it isn't going to work for you, study or no study.
    Evidence.

Californians have a right to bear arms in public!

notorius1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) notorius1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) notorius1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) notorius1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) notorius1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) notorius1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) notorius1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) notorius1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) notorius1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) notorius1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) notorius1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Weight is an indicator of knowledge in all scenarios, right?
    Evidence.

Californians have a right to bear arms in public!

Static is great for increasing flexibility.

THe vast majority of people recommend dyanmic stretching pre-workout and static post.

I personally like to static upon waking and pre-bed.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -

AFXC1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFXC1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFXC1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFXC1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFXC1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFXC1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFXC1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFXC1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFXC1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFXC1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFXC1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Optical View Post
    this..

i have to stretch my legs the day after a leg session because its just too sore otherwise.
    He said between sets my man.

Personally, every once in a while I do dynamic stretches before my sets in training, but I usually just warm up with the bar, and just add a little more weight for warm ups and to prepare my body for the movement...Pretty much how I do it.
    Last edited by AFXC1; 06-19-2010 at 02:50 PM.
    .:MiscMarioBrahs:.

0341 Infantry Mortarman

Philippians 4:13 We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us and without Christ we can do nothing! Joshua 1:9, Colossians 1:9-14
    Pray for all U.S. military troops at home and abroad in Jesus name.

asdf89 is just really nice. (+1000) asdf89 is just really nice. (+1000) asdf89 is just really nice. (+1000) asdf89 is just really nice. (+1000) asdf89 is just really nice. (+1000) asdf89 is just really nice. (+1000) asdf89 is just really nice. (+1000) asdf89 is just really nice. (+1000) asdf89 is just really nice. (+1000) asdf89 is just really nice. (+1000) asdf89 is just really nice. (+1000)
    you should always do static stretching after a workout...like already said it promotes blood flow wich is what you want PWO so you can further help the nutrients get there....it helps with recovery and can even possibly stretch fascia if you do them while still pumped

OJSampson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

soooo

Originally Posted by asdf89 View Post
    you should always do static stretching after a workout...like already said it promotes blood flow wich is what you want PWO so you can further help the nutrients get there....it helps with recovery and can even possibly stretch fascia if you do them while still pumped

I guess my question should have been, does drawing blood away from your target muscles between sets sound like a bad idea? Because that is what I am basically doing when I am stretching my legs between sets on upper body days.