StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Help keeping lower back tight in squats

So basically I have trouble keeping my lower back arched as the weight gets heavier, and I'm looking to change this. Flexibility is also an issue at hand, although I'm doing stretches and mobility drills to help with that.

Asides from that, how would you suggest strengthening the lower back to get it accustomed to squatting properly whilst doing a 5x5 compound routine? I've thought of switching to Zercher, Hack or Front squats since they seem pretty unforgiving to poor form and I assume that they'd help strengthen my back and get it used to depth and tightness.

Ideas? Cheers

400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz
    for direct low back work try hyperextensions(weighted if necessary)
    deadlifts(most variants)

indirect would be squats, OH presses, and any other type of exercise that requires the core muscles to "lock" the spine into place
    Squat: 475 Bench: 355 Dead: 585 Press: 245

You would be surprised just how much time I have to waste.

Sheepdog #fiftysomething... I think 58???

Gayle1
    squirrell751

400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by StylesOfBeyond View Post
    Surely as you get heavier and add more muscle you'll get stronger as well mate.
    and this
    Squat: 475 Bench: 355 Dead: 585 Press: 245

You would be surprised just how much time I have to waste.

Sheepdog #fiftysomething... I think 58???

Gayle1
    squirrell751

Tsaadon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Aside from going slow and letting you back strengthen along with your legs I suggest yoga, it's pretty much the best&safest way to strengthen your lower back IMO, when I started with the heavy squats my back would just feel crushed after and was always more concentrated on the feeling in my back rather then on my legs, I got back to yoga and now it's all feeling much better, and yoga also does wonders to your flexibility.

brazucac89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brazucac89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by StylesOfBeyond View Post
    So basically I have trouble keeping my lower back arched as the weight gets heavier, and I'm looking to change this. Flexibility is also an issue at hand, although I'm doing stretches and mobility drills to help with that.

Asides from that, how would you suggest strengthening the lower back to get it accustomed to squatting properly whilst doing a 5x5 compound routine? I've thought of switching to Zercher, Hack or Front squats since they seem pretty unforgiving to poor form and I assume that they'd help strengthen my back and get it used to depth and tightness.

Ideas? Cheers
    keep the abdominals tight, and makes sure your chest is out at all times...

ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Here,save this,and remember it for good.This are not my words,im pasting it.

No matter what the exercise,as soon as heavy weights are involved,it is essential to create a BLOCK.

1.Expanding the chest and holding a deep breath fills the lungs,which supports the rib cage and prevents the chest from collapsing forward.

2.Contracting the abdominal muscle group supports the core and increases the intra-abdominal pressure,which prevents the torso from collapsing forward.

3.Finally,arching the low back by contracting the lumbar muscles positions the spinal column in extension.

The 3 actions together are reffered as blocking,which keeps you from rounding your back(vertebral flexion).A rounded back when lifting heavy can cause a herniated disc.
    bb.com, a place that turned Deadlift into a forearm isolation exercise

and a place where 99% of 21 year olds have bad back and knees.

everphilski will become famous soon enough. (+50) everphilski will become famous soon enough. (+50) everphilski will become famous soon enough. (+50) everphilski will become famous soon enough. (+50) everphilski will become famous soon enough. (+50) everphilski will become famous soon enough. (+50) everphilski will become famous soon enough. (+50) everphilski will become famous soon enough. (+50) everphilski will become famous soon enough. (+50) everphilski will become famous soon enough. (+50) everphilski will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ZoranM View Post
    Here,save this,and remember it for good.This are not my words,im pasting it.

No matter what the exercise,as soon as heavy weights are involved,it is essential to create a BLOCK.

1.Expanding the chest and holding a deep breath fills the lungs,which supports the rib cage and prevents the chest from collapsing forward.

2.Contracting the abdominal muscle group supports the core and increases the intra-abdominal pressure,which prevents the torso from collapsing forward.

3.Finally,arching the low back by contracting the lumbar muscles positions the spinal column in extension.

The 3 actions together are reffered as blocking,which keeps you from rounding your back(vertebral flexion).A rounded back when lifting heavy can cause a herniated disc.
    Very similar although better-written and more detailed than what I have on my dry erase board (facing my squat rack)

SQUAT:
    - breathe
    - tense abs
    - sit back

StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Thanks guys, that's all great help. It's a case of remembering all of those things and trying to do it all once more than anything, since I know for a fact that when I squat heavier I tend to forget to do something sooner or later!

Thanks again, all solid advice. And 400lber, I can be the worst hypocrite sometimes haha

ironmike99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironmike99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironmike99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironmike99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironmike99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironmike99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironmike99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironmike99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironmike99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironmike99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironmike99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    do you work core? i was having similar issues until i improved my core strength

Originally Posted by ironmike99 View Post
    do you work core? i was having similar issues until i improved my core strength
    Actually I have to admit that my core is pretty underworked, and I'd assume that this is the root of weaknesses as well. I'm beginning to actually incorporate core work though, so with any luck it should resolve along with flexibility and lower back tension.

That said, any tips and hints are still appreciated, thanks.