livedrive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Rest period b/w sets for different muscle groups

I know that there is a lot of material out there on rest periods and differing objectives, etc... I still have one question that I haven't seen a clear answer to, however, and am hoping someone here can answer without necessarily re-hashing all of that material.

During the rest period you are supposedly, in part, allowing ATP levels to recover before stressing the muscle again. My question, which hopefully isn't too stupid, is whether these ATP levels are isolated to the specific muscle group worked, or if this pertains more to the status of your body as a whole at the time?

Example: From a hormonal/chemical perspective, if I do 8 reps on bench press, rest 60 seconds, and then do another 8 reps on bench press, is this the same as if i did 8 reps on bench press, spent 60 seconds on 10 reps of rows, and then returned for another 8 reps on bench? Or do you have to rest your WHOLE body to allow hormonal/chemical levels to recover?

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by livedrive View Post
    Example: From a hormonal/chemical perspective, if I do 8 reps on bench press, rest 60 seconds, and then do another 8 reps on bench press, is this the same as if i did 8 reps on bench press, spent 60 seconds on 10 reps of rows, and then returned for another 8 reps on bench? Or do you have to rest your WHOLE body to allow hormonal/chemical levels to recover?

No, it is not the same.

I don't know enough to get into specifics, accurately, off the top of my head, but there is a systemic/whole body factor to recovering.

And when dealing with the real mass and strength builders, like heavy back squats or deadlifts, you'll spend longer than that catching your breath

livedrive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thanks

Originally Posted by Farley1324 View Post
    No, it is not the same.

I don't know enough to get into specifics, accurately, off the top of my head, but there is a systemic/whole body factor to recovering.

And when dealing with the real mass and strength builders, like heavy back squats or deadlifts, you'll spend longer than that catching your breath
    OK, well that tells me what I needed to know. I really like what circuit training does for my stamina, and gotten good results in general, but am now trying to add more muscle mass. I suppose I'll go ahead and incorporate some reasonable rest periods throughout my weight training, drink a post workout shake, and then do interval cardio to keep my stamina up and get a bit leaner.